• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thomasmaurits

Nov 7, 2017
This list exemplifies the bias most Western game journalists have against handheld systems.

I mean, N64 and Wii U over DS? I can't even...

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree, IMO Wii U is good and quality console with some great games, also Nintendo first HD console,
but that was killed buy brand/naming, bad marketing, drought of games and release schedule, pricing, timing..

I personally like Wii U more than I liked Wii.
"Wii U is good except for all these massive reasons it's not"

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Poor GBC. Even for the posters that remembered to add it to that list for defining games gave it GB games.

Honestly it probably shouldn't be counted as separate if you're not going to count things like the N3DS in there.

Speaking of the 3DS, people seem to generally be sleeping on it super hard. Given how long its stayed alive, it's got a rather large library, and, imo, for applicable Nintendo franchises, it beats most of the DS's offerings.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never owned a NES ( did try these games on switch online service, they're trash )
Sounds like an informed opinion.
How the hell is the gamecube above the N64? No matter what you thought about the 64 controller, you dont hear people opining for gamecube games as the greatest on any list.
I feel like it's not controversal to say that Animal Crossing, Resident Evil 4, SSB:Melee, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, and Pikmin 1 and 2, each have some die hard fans that would disagree with you.

Sure, in my book, N64 was more of an innovative console than the GCN where Nintendo ushered in the foundations of modern 3D games, but I could easily see how one would conclude that GCN has a better overall library of titles for its time.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wii U ahead of Nintendo DS and GBA has to be some kind of master troll. I mean, the system legit had excellent first parties, but come on now, DS and GBA had like fucking everything on them.

And, well, declaring the Switch the best Nintendo system ever made less than 2 years after its launch is pretty questionable. The system has excellent games so far, but there's so many things still missing from it (both in terms of games and functions) that it's quite absurd. And I love my Switch, too.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
12. Virtual Boy: could cause brain damage and was on the market for less than a year. Still had a couple games that were pretty good.

11. Wii U: Every hardware issue, slow OS, bulky design... Using this console was a bad experience, but had amazing games, luckily Nintendo is hell bent on moving them all to Switch.

10. Gameboy/GBC: First off, GBC is just an extension of the gameboy platform, like DSi or N3DS for those platforms. Gameboy has some true classics and pokemon really makes it a special device, except that every future handheld from Nintendo was better.

9. Wii: Some really special games, but the marketing lied to the customers early on and until Wii Motion Plus, we were being told the device was capable of things it clearly wasn't. There is also some real black spots on motion controls here, swinging your sword in Twilight Princess, makes it a real chore to play, though the pinpoint aiming almost makes up for it.

8. Nintendo 64: A lot of really awesome multiplayer experiences existed here, some amazing classics as well. It was also the system that lost Nintendo the market, the drive of the generation was RPGs, something the Nintendo 64's predecessor had no problem accruing. Nintendo's stance at this time was that 'RPGs were for kids playing in dark rooms'

7. NES: The industry has heavy ties to the NES, most of our favorite long running IPs come from this era, and graced this platform with amazing titles, the system itself is iconic. A lot of these games still feel great to play today, but people don't think it's worth paying $20 a year to gain access to them, so it will not be higher on this list.

6. 3DS: Great collection of games, some good idea for hardware too, but it borrows too much from the superior design of the DS and lacks the larger 3rd party catalog that system had. It's screen is also too low resolution when compared to it's contemporaries. It still has a solid library of classics.

5. Gameboy Advance: This portable was a revolution of portability and gaming. It had classic 16bit style games, in a time when people really wanted that (they still do) a great list of RPGs, a strong series of NES and SNES ports. The Gameboy Advance SP is still one of the most compelling designs for a gaming device I've ever seen. My only knock against the SP is that it doesn't have a standard audio jack.

4. Gamecube: This system really surprised from a performance standpoint, it had an amazing edge on the PS2, and some heavy hitters, the controller was weird, but it is still a favorite of many today. There is still a lack of RPGs, but it massively improved over the N64, while keeping the multiplayer and having access to a special disc gave you the 2 Zelda games from the N64 as well. The system also probably still runs without problems if you own one.

3. Nintendo DS: This device cut the GBA short, but at the end of the day, it gave us everything we loved about that system, and with the DSlite, it could still play GBA games, while giving us the best design a handheld has ever had IMO. Though I do admit the Playstation handhelds make a strong argument, the DSlite is a sleek, folding device that screams premium electronic. The games are amazing, building on GBA, adding Chrono Trigger, a remake of FF4, and bought back 2D Mario. The only knock against it is it's Zelda outings.

2. SNES: The original Playstation, this device is the predecessor to the Playstation, most of what people think of when they think of the PSX, those were in large part series that started on the SNES. Combine that with Nintendo's first party games and a controller design that has remained relevant to today, it's a perfect console for it's time in history.

1. Switch: It's magic. Nintendo has never gotten this much right about a device, Nvidia's software and hardware here is snappy, and all about getting you from game experience to game experience, it is both a handheld and a home console, it doesn't leave any part of Nintendo's history behind and it's library is already bigger than any other device on this list with some of the best entries in these IPs we have seen ever. There is a reason it's doing so well... Anyways, Handheld + Console, it can't really be anywhere else on this list. I also think Zelda was the perfect title to launch this system with, and I know it's a bit early to call it, but this is the best Nintendo has ever looked.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Sounds like an informed opinion.
I feel like it's not controversal to say that Animal Crossing, Resident Evil 4, SSB:Melee, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, and Pikmin 1 and 2, each have some die hard fans that would disagree with you.

Sure, in my book, N64 was more of an innovative console than the GCN where Nintendo ushered in the foundations of modern 3D games, but I could easily see how one would conclude that GCN has a better overall library of titles for its time.

Opinions and all that, but for the average joe (general public, not ERA) I dont think you will find many gamecube games on their lists:

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a24173497/the-greatest-video-games-of-all-time/

http://time.com/4458554/best-video-games-all-time/ (only RE4 on the list, 2 N64 games in the top 3)

This is where my argument stems from.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Me @ this list

Kka07OZ.gif

Dec 22, 2017
NES, Wii and DS family of systems are my top three. SNES and N64 round out the top 5.

Wii U is lucky the Virtual Boy exists to keep it from the bottom. Absolute trash system and I have owned one since launch. Slow ass interface and stupid tablet controller + months and months of game droughts. Garbage.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
well, honestly, beside the switch in number one, wich i would put on 6, everything is fine for me

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People saying the Gameboy Color" wasn't a full blown successor to the Gameboy are wrong. The system had a crap ton of exclusive games for it. At the worst it could be viewed as the Sega Neptune of Nintendo, only that it actually released and was successful.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Pretty sure that a list like this is entirely determined upon what you grew up with.

basic_element

Oct 25, 2017
The disrespect for the NES in this thread is sad. I guess it makes sense for the demographics of this forum. I'm getting too old for this..

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is Game and Watch a "system?"

It's the opposite of a system.

There's nothing systematic about it. Not even chronology or hardware. And ranking the NES outside of the top three ignores literally thousands of games AND credulity.

Nintendo is still a thing BECAUSE the NES and its software.

My God.

Help.

1. SNES

Here endeth the lesson.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Mine:
1. SNES
2. Switch
3. DS
4. GBA
5. Wii
6. N64
7. Gamecube
8. Everything else Ive never really played
Last. Wii U

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Wii U is forever underrated. Sure it bombed, but the library was unbelievable. Couple that with Wii BC and Virtual Console and you've got a stew going

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I actually agree with the entire list except for Switch at #1, it's a great console but can't compete with the SNES, Gamecube and N64 libraries just yet. Also, Wii would probably be #11 or #12 on my list.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
GBA and DS were done dirty. Both handhelds are far superior to 3DS when it comes to third party game selection. 3DS's hardware issues are also more pronounced.

GameCube at #3 is a joke, and Switch hasn't earned its #1 because there are still so many games that haven't been released for it.

This list is crazy.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Terrible list, lol. DS is "best console ever" candidate, Nintendo or not. WiiU is the opposite. Switch is too new and is massively lacking in exclusives. Just ridiculous all around. Opinions, I guess.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it could different for everybody. Like, my list, on personal preference and fun i had with each systems :

1- NES
2- Snes
3- Switch
4-Gameboy
5-3DS
6-7-8 ( really cant decide in which order, all about equal ) Wii U, N64, Gamecube
9- DS
10- Wii

Never purchased when they came out a GBA, Gameboy Color and Virtual Boy.

Iv rank them that way because of how many games i played and enjoyed on each system. Switch will probably end up in its life circle in first position for me.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
My personal list would be:

1. Switch
2. Nintendo Wii
3. Nintendo DS
4. NES
5. Gameboy/Gameboy Color
6. Nintendo 64
7. Gameboy Advanced
8. SNES
9. New 2DS XL (the best iteration of the 3DS family).
10. GameCube/WiiU
11. Virtual Boy.

1. Switch is first because it has the best games, it is also the future of consoles beong both handheld and stationary.

2. Wii is second because it had the best games of any nintendo system before the Switch came out. It was also the best and most revolutionary system to date before Switch, loved the waggle.

3. Nintendo DS because it had a great library of games. Although the system got good with the NDS Lite, before that it was really bad and lacking games.

About my 10. GameCube/WiiU on the same place. I really hated these systems. They were not made for the Nintendo player. They were made for hardcore players aka "FarCry/AC/CoD/'inputgenericAAAtitle'", which you can see by these systems having the best 3rd party support of the stationary Nintendo consoles and Nintendos own games lacking in quality. That is also the reason they failed. Nintendo tried to become the new SONY/Microsoft with these consoles. As a mainly Nintendo player myself I didn't find anything attractive with them.