• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Compared to Wii U, sure.
Compared to GameCube, no.
Absolutely. Gamecube wasone of the first consoles to start lacking behind every other console on market in regards to features like DVD players and online. The library for gamecube also doesnt come close to n64 and I like my gamecube.

It had some great Nintendo made/published games but it had almost no Japanese third party support. Its library is very limited because of that, especially next to the Saturn and PSX.
Ok so it missed out on japanese games but in lieu of which had several genre defining, all time great games in addition to pushing the standard of the industry forward.
It's not just younger people... I feel that older gamers also might have a dimmer view of the N64.

The thing for us old timers is that the N64 looked at the time like a huge fall off from the NES and SNES library. The imperfect analogy for today would be the Xbox One situation, where it was a platform with some very good games, but comparing it to the juggernaut that was the 360, it seems like a big letdown in terms of library size.

And you also have the fact that the reason for the N64's diminished library was on the scene: the PS1. And it did feature all those games and genres that were missing on N64, and in mass quantities too. The PS1 felt to me like the proper successor to the NES and SNES libraries: RPGs, Castlevania games, Megaman games, 2d and 3d fighters, survival horror, etc.

So N64 looked lesser at the time, in terms of library, than its predecessors and its direct competitor.

I know N64 ushered in great 3D, multiplayer, and some GOAT classic games.... but it's really hard for me to be like "The N64 is the greatest console ever!!!!" when in context of Nintendo's history and the other options at the time, it was actually a kind of a letdown. I rather think people who call it a GOAT console tend to be of the certain generation that were just the right age to only see the magic..... And I do admit that for a few choice titles, it really brought the magic.
I also don't think its the greatest of all time, but it certainly is one of the best Nintendo systems. I also would disagree with the idea that it lacked a library compared to PS1. Ps1 had MGS, FF7 as two of the games some would consider to be GOAT and I would argue N64 had even more than that. I mean its crazy were saying gamecube is anywhere close to the N64 here.

Last edited:

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
I remember when you people used to attack the Wii U from every angle. How foolish must you feel now?

IXi9uEK.gif

The Slay U has the best Mario as an exclusive (3D World), runs the Switch's best game flawlessly (Breath of the Wild) and has the best RPG of the generation, also as an exclusive: Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Plays all Wii games. Huge Virtual Console library. Fun gamepad (great for playing that Virtual Console library). Whew, an iconic system!

The only mistake this list made was ranking the Gameboy Advance so high, # 9 was too high. Garbage handheld with its anemic library and poor design should be just above the Virtual Boy.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Random thought related to this thread: If you had to associate each Nintendo system with ONE game, which would it be?

The easy ones:
NES: Super Mario Bros
Game Boy: Pokemon RGBY
N64: Super Mario 64
GBA: Circle of the Moon (but not for a good reason)
Wii: Wii Sports
WiiU: New Super Mario Bros U (as a microcosm of the WiiU)

Debatable but easily down to a few:
GameCube: Melee, Prime, or Wind Waker
3DS: Animal Crossing New Leaf or Fire Emblem Awakening

Hard:
SNES (too many)
VB (lol)
DS (too many)
Switch (too early)

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ive lived through the whole nintendo era. Switch at #1 with that shitty ass D-pad is just offensive and the system is just 2 years old. SNES is the real #1. Gamecube #1 would be an acceptable hot take, as the 3DS. An N64 at #1 is pure sentimentality. That system had the worst drought and rides its fame only because of its 2 revolutionary titles and the poor man with 3 friends version of quake.

But you know, opinions.

Also, the Wii U is underrated. That system gave us some top quality exclusives.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
1. Super NES
2. DS
3. Game Boy Advance
4. Switch (tentative)
5. Wii
6. N64
7. NES
8. 3DS
9. Game Boy
10. Gamecube
11. Wii-U
12. Virtual Boy

Game Boy Color's not a system.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not a terrible list. Well, NES is too low, but since I had that as a kid, it does have a nostalgia charm for me. N64 was horrific so I would have swapped that with NES. Otherwise it seems ok to me.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Random thought related to this thread: If you had to associate each Nintendo system with ONE game, which would it be?

I pretty much always associate a platform with my favorite game on the platform, so here's a list of my favorite games on each Nintendo platform.

NES - Super Mario Bros. 3
Gameboy - Pokemon R/B/Y
SNES - Chrono Trigger
N64 - Super Mario 64
Gameboy Color - Pokemon G/S/C
Gameboy Advance - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Gamecube - Metroid Prime
Nintendo DS - The World Ends With You
Wii - Xenoblade Chronicles
Nintendo 3DS - The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Wii U - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Switch - Super Mario Odyssey

Half of them are JRPGs, two of which made by Squaresoft/Square-Enix.

Oct 25, 2017
Switch being number one feels ridiculously soon. I'd probably rank 'em...

10. N64
9. GB
8. 3DS
7. GBA
6. Switch
5. NES
4. Wii
3. GameCube
2. Nintendo DS
1. SNES

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Gamecube felt like Nintendo was fighting an image problem. They wanted to appeal to the 18 to 35 year old male demographic, but at the same time wanted to still seem as kid friendly.

This is what the advertising campaign seemed to be. The commercials were relatively edgy, but a lot of times seemed off as they ultimately marketed "kid friendly games".

They gradually toned it down with the "Who Are You" commercials and what not, but it still seemed kind of odd.

And yes, while Nintendo did court the Resident Evil franchise and a Metal Gear Solid game, and even internally developed titles like Eternal Darkness, it just wasn't enough compared to Microsoft going all in on the 18 to 35 year old male demographic, and Sony essentially making games for everyone.

It kind of reminds me of the situation of SOA vs SOJ as one side wanted to be more edgy and "mature" compared to the other who wanted to stay traditional and "fun". Only this time American didn't have any power over Japanese, other than relative freedom in the advertising sector.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see 3DS above DS when we've seen for nearly two years an audience saying the 3DS should just stop existing. Never really saw that with DS.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Famicom and Famicom are #1 and #2 for me. After that it becomes harder but I'd give it to the DS, GameCube, and Wii in that order.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
This is a horrible list, I'm amazed at just how bad it is. Gameboy Color isn't really even it's own platform, it's much like the n3DS or DSi, an extension of the Gameboy platform... But to put NES so low on the list when it's pretty much a mega platform in this industry... This list looks like someone who heard some Nintendo console names, and put them in a random order, at least Virtual Boy and Switch are probably in the right place...

Fawk Nin

Nov 6, 2017
People that think the WiiU is another Gamecube are wrong. It wasn't underappreciated. The hardware was awful. I've owned every Nintendo console (handheld and home) and it is easily my least favourite. Thank god they bounced back with Switch which is going to end up being my favourite the way things are going.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I can't believe how bad that list is in the OP. Here's the correct list. In the case of the handhelds, I also give a shoutout to the best version of each hardware.

1. SNES
2. NES
3. Switch
4. Gameboy Advance (SP)
5. DS (Lite)
6. N64
7. Gamecube
8. Wii
9. Gameboy Color
10. Gameboy
11. 3DS (New 2DS XL)
12. Wii U
13. Virtual Boy

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I know it gets a lot of hate for all the shovelware, but for me the Wii has a totally slept on library, there are some absolute gems in that catalogue and i love that console. Possibly close to the top for me in it's ranking.

hichanbis

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The thing about fans (or rather super-fans) is they're always super excited about the latest product out there. So when I saw the title I knew Switch would be number one.
But objectively a more realistic ranking could be:

01. Nintendo 64
02. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
03. Nintendo DS
04. Gameboy
05. Gameboy Advance
06. Nintendo 3DS
07. Nintendo Entertainment System
08. GameCube
09. Switch
10. Wii
11. Wii U
12. Virtual Boy

Switch is only 9 to me as it has too few games for the moment (I own one fyi).
It has the potential to be much higher though.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a lot of awful lists over the years, but this has to be the absolute worst. Even ignoring their worst non-VB console sitting in sixth and their current console coming off the back of 1 decent and 1 mediocre year sitting at the top, they consider some of the most influential systems of all time as being among Nintendo's worst efforts? Worse than a handheld they had to almost halve in cost months after release? Worse than a console that barely sold a tenth of its predecessor?

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Switch has been out just two years and already has:

The best Zelda
The best Mario Party
The best Mario Kart
The best Smash Bros
A great 3D Mario

This is also a portable device.

All of these are of course debatable but this is undeniably a strong showing out the gate, even only talking about the Nintendo stalwarts. Sales numbers agree.

It's the best thing I've ever owned and I can't imagine what the next four years will bring it. By the end I think its rank as #1 will be undeniable.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, let's get serious:

1)Snes
2)Nes
3)DS
4)GB
5)N64
6)3DS
7)GBA
8)GameCube
9)Wii
10)Wii U

We can talk about Switch when its life-cycle will be over.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Wii U above Wii ,GBA ,Nintendo Entertainment System, yeah I can't take this list seriously.

Edit : Its above DS LMAO what a joke of a list.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Wii U needs to be at the bottom along with the Virtual Boy

Garbage ass console

Disagree, IMO Wii U is good and quality console with some great games, also Nintendo first HD console,
but that was killed buy brand/naming, bad marketing, drought of games and release schedule, pricing, timing..

I personally like Wii U more than I liked Wii.

Last edited:

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
It's subjective, but Switch #1... with the games actually available? This isnt even subjective it's just nonsense...
Top 3 for me: N64, Game Boy, SNES; not in this order.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Lists are lists but this list is, uh, not good. You know, to me. And probably everyone else? Definitely me though.

The Wii U sucks and can't get ranked higher because BC, lol. It should be ranked off its own library. Also, I love the Switch. I really, really do, but it needs more time on the market.

Anyways, SNES #1.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I would even have been okay with the rest of this list, but fucking Wii U over DS physically offends me.
Personally, I have no use for the DS so I'd put WiiU over that without hesitation.
I think the problem here is combining portables and regular systems into one list.

For me, it'd be
SNES
N64
and GC,Wii,WiiU in 3rd.

Heavily invested in the first two as a kid.

Oct 25, 2017
God this list is all sorts of jacked up.

The DS should be in the top 3 and the GBA should be way higher than that it is and the Wii U should probably be closer to the bottom. I love my Wii U and it had awesome games but the console was a disaster in almost every way something can be.

Wii should be higher, NES should be higher, 3DS should be lower. Gosh, everything about this list feels like the person who made it didn't play half of these consoles.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
LOL, garbage list.

N64 and Wii U should be at the bottom of that list.

And lol at Switch being 1

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK