• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are they hitting 20 million?

• Yes

Votes: 1,060 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,400 34.4%
  • No, but it will be close

Votes: 1,351 33.2%
  • Yes, and they will sell more than that

Votes: 255 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems that at least in Japan, Switch is doing pretty well YoY compared to Q4 2017 so far. Given Smash momentum, I could potentially see Q4 being very strong for 2018 still. Maybe not enough, but it's worth paying attention to.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Seems that at least in Japan, Switch is doing pretty well YoY compared to Q4 2017 so far. Given Smash momentum, I could potentially see Q4 being very strong for 2018 still. Maybe not enough, but it's worth paying attention to.

Before Benji retired he said that it was doing excellent numbers in early January in the US too.

I think Q4 will see >4M shipped, but probably not as high as 5M. So it'll depend on what they shipped for Q3. 10.5M and up and I think they hit 20M, below that and they just miss it.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
With everything we know, 19m+ seems like a lock, and when they are so close to 20m, they could easily little overship (so less than 1m) in order to meat goal.

wolflink

Nov 9, 2017
I belive is More possible Nintendo checking in 1 million units on march 31 with some incentive to the buyer and then ship those units in April 1 or later.
...than all those channel stuff speculation.

I mean... If there is indeed a new switch model releasing in late 2019... Nintendo can start selling regular switch with a new low price months in advance before shipping physically to stores.

That way 20 millions is a lock.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Before Benji retired he said that it was doing excellent numbers in early January in the US too.

I think Q4 will see >4M shipped, but probably not as high as 5M. So it'll depend on what they shipped for Q3. 10.5M and up and I think they hit 20M, below that and they just miss it.

That person also said Nintendo will miss the traget just after the actual December NPD numbers came out.
But yeah with that, Nintendo can probably write off 20 million. Its not happening

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
With everything we know, 19m+ seems like a lock, and when they are so close to 20m, they could easily little overship (so less than 1m) in order to meat goal.
Yes, 19-21m seems like the realistic range. We'll have better insight after the Q3 report but it still might be a nailbiter to the end.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Latest news reported by digitimes

Nintendo originally gave the supply chain an estimate of 24 million units of Switch for calendar year 2018, but the actual shipments were less than 20 million, the sources pointed out

Although the Japan-based gaming firm is planning to release a cheaper version of the game console in 2019, the trend of decelerated order pull-in by Nintendo will continue and shipments for the calendar year 2019 are estimated to be around 14-15 million units.

Currently, components of Nintendo Switch are stored at the upstream supply chain, waiting to be assembled and shipped with Nintendo's instruction, the sources said. Nintendo is mainly pulling in orders judging by its channel sales and inventory level.

Based on upstream supply chain's estimates, Nintendo so far has sold around 40 million units of Switch worldwide.

I find it hard to believe the shipments for CY2019 will go down this much, with or without a new version.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190124PD210.html

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Basically the whole of that article is wrong so yeah...it's really why I hate the internet because anyone can write whatever bullshit they want and not have any consequences.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Basically the whole of that article is wrong so yeah...it's really why I hate the internet because anyone can write whatever bullshit they want and not have any consequences.

Can't blame the Internet when 'industry professional and senior analyst' like Pachter can write pieces as if he lives in an alternate universe

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe Nintendo will miss out its target, but not by 5-6 millions lol. Digitimes article gotta be bs.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any insight into how the Switch has done this year in the markets that we don't track as closely (US, Japan, Europe)? Like, say, the Middle East or Australia, or SE Asia?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any concrete numbers from any territories outside of Japan, US, UK, France and Spain? I know we've been hearing that it's performing well in many of the smaller markets but we never seem to get actual numbers.

Latest headline from Sankei

https://www.sankei.com/economy/news/190125/ecn1901250003-n1.html

You can use Google/Bing translate to get a rough idea.

Holiday season went very well, and Nintendo believe 20m is achievable

That seems like the same interview that's been floating around for a month or so, where Furukawa says the target is not easy but is achievable. I don't think this was done after December so they wouldn't have December's full numbers to look at.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20-30% less hardware sold in an year with Pokemon and Animal Crossing, Japan alone is going to be at least 40% up YoY if we get the rumoured revision and a price drop. Yo-kai Watch spring, Animal Crossing summer, Pokemon winter... sprinkle in Yoshi, Fire Emblem, NSMBU Deluxe, DQXI S and a bunch of other titles and it's laughable how these guys have a job writing and analyzing.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
That seems like the same interview that's been floating around for a month or so, where Furukawa says the target is not easy but is achievable. I don't think this was done after December so they wouldn't have December's full numbers to look at.

The last interview was with Kyoto Shimbun and it's hard to believes Sankei will just take that and publish it under its own 'Breaking News' section though..

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The last interview was with Kyoto Shimbun and it's hard to believes Sankei will just take that and publish it under its own 'Breaking News' section though..

Oh maybe it is new, it just seems like the same info from that last one. Google translate is not helping much though. So I definitely can't say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.