• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
338.jpg

This image feels like it was yesterday :(

Even Miyamoto kinda dissappeared from the public eye, last time.i remember seeing him was the Switch January presentation in 2017...man this is sad :[

End of an era indeed

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Totally and end of an era. God I remember him on stage for the first time... What a guy! Perfectly awkward, perfectly enthusiastic, and when that little bit of vulnerability burst forward doing his speech about Iwata at The Game Awards, that was the moment that truly cemented my respect for this man. He has always been business above all, but damn it if he didn't just do it in his own unique way!

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Good to see him go out basically on top after those lean Wii U years where things looked really bad for Nintendo.

But, Doug Bowser, really? I mean, really, really? How many jokes have been made about this so far?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Going to really miss Reggie. Hard to imagine a U.S. Direct or press conference with someone else. Not a lot of corprate executives like him.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Reggie retires... and nothing of value was lost.

Let's hope Bowser does a better job.
Reggie's performance during the E3 2004 press conference literally helped shape the company's public presence from that year onwards

It's absurd to say he contributed nothing of value, even if I sometimes had issues with his heavily-rehearsed PR responses to certain questions

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
If Bowser is a boardgamer he's cool with me usually people that play board games are awesome people. Don't get me wrong Catan is kind of like the Monopoly of real board games, but eh.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Even though Reggie did say some weird stuff at times, being the PR person, you can't deny he's a very likable person when it came to keynotes, directs and similar interactions with fans. He'll be missed. You go Reggienator.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No being black=being black. There are a lot of black People in Cuba, Haiti, the DR and Puerto Rico who have African heritage, just like there are black People with African heritage in United States and Canada. Reggie himself identifies as black for this reason. And his role as a black president of a prominent company should be celebrated.
As a Mexican I have a small heritage of native Mexican indigenous blood in me but I wouldn't identify myself as a Native ever in my life just because I just don't look like one. But this is me and Reggie is within his right to say whatever he feels like.

That's not to say he shouldn't be celebrated because he should! Very much so! A person of color from a first generation immigrant family from Haiti climbing his own way to this position by having nothing being given to him by anyone is outstanding.

Dec 11, 2017
A2rnLMrCUAAYg-G

E3 2011

BMghPOjCQAAMRq0

E3 2013

BpzeDCMCIAEHPD4

E3 2014

ClGGEj-UoAEoXAm

E3 2016

Reggie Fils-Aime served the company well for 16 years and was always good to me. Thank you, sir, for bringing us quality entertainment and for your kindness at each E3. Here is to you enjoying good health, plenty of fun, more time with your family, and more time to practice your Smash Bros. skills!

DfjM1tJX0AIRsx5

E3 2018

Shuntaro Furukawa, I believe you have made a very strong choice with Doug Bowser. Thank you.

DCYuppiUQAAnvsf

E3 2017

DfodxVfW4AE1I4e

E3 2018

Doug Bowser is well experienced in the video game industry and his ability to connect with people and make smart decisions is why I have a lot of faith and respect in him. We met two years ago and I can tell that he's very knowledgeable about video games, loves this business, and is as approachable of a person as you can get. Congratulations sir, on your incredible promotion and thank you for your friendship and hospitality.

Reggie served the company well and moving forward, I couldn't think of anybody better for the role than Doug. #ThankYouReggie

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
To be fair he was never CEO, he was COO.

He has a healthy wealth to fall back on. He's not filthy Bobby Kotick levels of stupidly rich by any means but still rich enough.
No he used to be CEO until Iwata decided that a Global CEO structure was needed to keep Nintendo upright during the Wii U turmoil.
Yeah, here's one story below when he was.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-wii-u-we-believe-in-making-money-on-our-hardware-2012-9

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Reggie was a smart business man, and he stood by the company and didn't try to leave or look for work somewhere else when it was living its darkest hours.
his message is beautiful, really a great way to end your working career.
thank you Reggie.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Myamoto be like:
1966406.jpg

Not a fan of how he was always a PR machine, but the memes were fun.

Really hope doug Actually look america as whole instead of just the north parth, though.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can say with all certainty that Reggie was the best thing to ever happened to Nintendo of America. Wish him happiness in his retirement, well earned!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even Miyamoto seems to do less public stuff these days. I wonder how long he'll stay.

Sigh.
My guess is he's going to stick on board at least for the foreseeable future to oversee creative ventures with stuff like Illumination's Mario movie and the Nintendo theme park. Most likely he's going to have to stay with the company until at least 2022. He'll supervise/executive produce games until then - maybe be more closely involved with and see Pikmin 4 through since that series remains personal to him.

But yeah - the trio of Iwata, Reggie, and Miyamoto is long a thing of the past. What with Reggie making a point of their close relationship, it's starting to look like the future outgoing "trio" will be Furukawa, Doug, and Koizumi.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Myamoto be like:
1966406.jpg

Not a fan of how he was always a PR machine, but the memes were fun.

Really hope doug Actually look america as whole instead of just the north parth, though.
I may be wrong, but I don't think NoA has any jurisdiction outside of the US, even Canada has its own branch.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My body will never stop being ready

That video of his was wonderful. One final directly to you.

Thanks for all the entertainment, hope he can enjoy his well deserved retirement for a long time

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
The industry will be losing one of the most charismatic individuals around. Humbled to be a part of his journey.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
man he has been there since 2004 huh, i was 12 years old that year. i remember playing a lot more nintendo games back then tho

Time-flies.jpg

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Nice way to go out, with Switch conquering the console space. Would have been a different story 5 years ago.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I just realised why Reggie is retiring - he's making time for the new Animal Crossing.

He kept informing us that all his Nintendo activities were keeping him away from New Leaf:

This time he's taking no chances.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. End of an era indeed. Still remember him stepping on stage at E3 for the first time.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
End of an era. The very first time we saw him in public, he revealed Metroid Prime 2. That's how long he's been with Nintendo.

I suppose it's hard to judge his role as NoA president due to the nature of the position and its relationship with the Japanese HQ, plus all the behind the scenes duties and tasks he is in charge of, but he was always willing to engage with the Nintendo community. Reggie has been with Nintendo through a lot of ups and downs, and I mean DOWNS, but he leaves on his own terms with the company in good condition.

Wish Reggie the best with his family, and Animal Crossing on the Nintendo Switch.