• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I think it's less that they altered them so much as it's the extent to which they did so. I'm sure some creepy people would be bothered if they just made it so you can't see their underwear or made a dress a bit less low-cut, but there'd be much fewer of them.
My thing is it doesn't change the story or reduce the gameplay so it shouldn't even be an issue. In some ways I'm glad they see that Their are issues with the original presentation.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, THIS was the "vagina bones" game? lmao

I think there was only one situation where the editing made a scene goofy looking, but overall the changes are fine.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Same here. The changes are so minimal that people wouldn't notice them if they didn't have another version to make comparisons. And for every bad aesthetic choice, like Tsubasa's outfit posted above, there's an improvement:

SMTxFE_Kiria_idol_outfit_comparsion.jpg
Holy hell that uncensored outfit is terrible.
That "uncensored" outfit isn't in any version of the game.
It was removed so all cinematics could be used in karaokes in Japan.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The title is incredibly inaccurate.

NCL apologized because they provided misleading informations about this version of the game when the preload went live. They've apologized because of this and offers refund to people who wouldn't have pre-ordered the game because it's based on the western version.

They're not apologizing because the game is based on the western version.

Agreed. The statement is basically all about how they posted the wrong screenshots/footage implying that certain aspects would be the same as the Japanese Wii U version, which turns out not to be the case, and offering refunds for anyone who was expecting the former.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You honestly think the game will bomb because of western version?
I don't think it's going to help that's for sure.

This is already a very niche game that bombed once and that niche tends to not like changes like this. I don't imagine a lot of Japanese payers would be happy about being forced to play the western version either. It's apparently enough of an issue that Nintendo is offering refunds which means some people who were gonna buy it aren't now.

So while I don't think this will be the sole reason it bombs, it's probably gonna be a factor.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is it part of the story or not? That was my question. Is there a reason to why it would be there? It's also girls in swimsuits... it's just swimwear.

Holy hell that uncensored outfit is terrible.

Its pre release outfit... that outfit isn't even in the japanese version

someone should control the misinformation on this thread

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
That one wasn't in either versions of the previous release. Its pre release footage and nothing is really "censored"

imo the pre release outfit is just bad
You're talking about the left one, right? The right one is the same she wears in the Western version, or at least it's extremely similar.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we get a sequel. We don't get Persona on Switch and TMS really feeds the Persona itch lol. But I have zero confidence of this game getting a sequel, sadly.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
It's quite easy, all in all, the game featured questionable content. Panty shots of underage girls, and them in gravure-like bikini shots etc. Even if they altered their age to 18, chances are it would've earned an M-rating in the West.

Meaning, it would not have been sold in a lot of places and I don't think Nintendo wanted that. So they opted for this. And, while you could argue that the alterations could've been done better, most of the time I see people not getting what they want; "sexualized under-age girls", and trying to defend their position somehow.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
My biggest issue with the censorship changes was one of the dungeons completely loses its meaning.

I take issue with that because people make it sound as if the dungeon was SUPPOSED to be creepy, when it actually wasn't. In the context of gravure modeling, the dungeon wasn't supposed to be offputting to the Japanese audience that is much more exposed to those kinds of photobooks and young models in alluring poses - it would only have been creepy to Western audiences in that sense, which would actually have altered the experience in a way, that they probably didn't intend. Which is why I understand the edits made, and I'm not understanding people claiming that "bikini modeling is magic" was a valid lesson that we got robbed off.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason they made those changes. Toggle undermines those reasons
That's fair.

The aging up definitely needed to happen for all versions of the game, and even if the rest of the changes were optional, I'd still choose the western version's content because 1) those original Japanese designs except for the wedding dress look dumb, and 2) I'd like to be able to play the game in front of people without getting a weird look. That said, it just seems silly to me to not give people the option when it comes to stuff like those outfits.

But, it won't affect my enjoyment of the game like I said, so eh. Still getting this since I never played it on Wii U and it looks fun.

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
I don't have problems with censorship in games so long that is well made so you can't tell unless you are told ahead, this isn't the case. It reminds me some anime where in the censored version they just show you a wall while the gory scene is happening.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if they actually used screenshots and stuff from a version of the game they're not selling, and the product being advertised wasn't the product being sold... they should be offering refunds? That's misleading?

There's nothing to say more than a handful of people are actually taking advantage of the offer.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
At the end of the day Nintendo is apologising about being misleading in their marketing prior to pre-orders and offering a remedy. The actual content in question is irrelevant. The principle of what they are doing shouldn't really be mocked.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This should be so easy

Underage char (or adult that looks like a child because reasons) - remove the sexualization.

Adults - assuming it's nothing explicit, let it be.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
They would probably sell 50% more copies if it were the original version over here. A sizable portion of JRPG fans are noticeably put off by the changes.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the game was assumed by Japanese players to be the same game they knew and was advertised as such, only for it to be mainly based off of the western version, then I'd say customers are well within their right to ask for a refund based on false advertising, regardless of whether it's a dumb reason to do so or whether it's justified.

Personally I'm still looking forward to the game, though I only really feel a couple of instances are justified edits - some of them are really egregious. The wedding dress one is a complete joke, and then there's that one dungeon screenshot that ironically looks worse than the uncut version.

May 13, 2019
It's quite easy, all in all, the game featured questionable content. Panty shots of underage girls, and them in gravure-like bikini shots etc. Even if they altered their age to 18, chances are it would've earned an M-rating in the West.
The ESRB really upped its game, didn't it? Makes me miss the days where you could have rape, murder, slavery, a dash of genocide and a main character that couldn't stop saying "shit" all the time and only earn a T-rating.

(Soul Nomad was awesome, y'all.)

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I wonder what's going on with SMTV, it was announced January 2017 but yet it's like we have barely info on it.
They post updates from time to time, it's still in development.
The issue with Atlus is that they focus on one game's marketing at a time, so while we could have had info on SMTV, they focused on P5R instead. This one releases at the end of the month in Japan so we should hear about SMTV again soon enough.

edit:
Might I ask, then, where are the people mad at Nintendo for self-censoring for the sake of karaoke parlors?
People don't complain much about things that haven't been released in the first place in any version.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
They set this game up to bomb because the people that would play it and that it's clearly targeted at are the people that would complain about the changes.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't think it's going to help that's for sure.

This is already a very niche game that bombed once and that niche tends to not like changes like this. I don't imagine a lot of Japanese payers would be happy about being forced to play the western version either. It's apparently enough of an issue that Nintendo is offering refunds which means some people who were gonna buy it aren't now.

So while I don't think this will be the sole reason it bombs, it's probably gonna be a factor.
Success of a game sexualizing minors or not sexualizing minors, what's more important?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's self-censorship yes.

All these dumb semantic arguments about the word.

I think using censorship in the context of a company intentionally adapting their own products is bizarre. Censorship generally refers to a prohibition. Adaptation isn't that .

It's the word of choice by gamers to make it sound worse than it is. Say it's a change you didn't like. That's what it is.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
People have long forgotten what censorship truly means. Some of you act like there's some kind of video games' Hays code.

Nintendo themselves decided to alter some things in the game. There's no laws, no code, nothing, that asked them to change it. They decided themselves to change their game in order to adapt it to the western public. (Meaning, making it less creepy.)

"It's just semantic" is some bullshit argument. Use the right word. It's not censorship. You all use that word because it makes it more sound like a big deal.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think using censorship in the context of a company intentionally adapting their own products is bizarre. Censorship generally refers to a prohibition. Adaptation isn't that .

It's the word of choice by gamers to make it sound worse than it is. Say it's a change you didn't like. That's what it is.

Right, people are intentionally calling it censorship to try to make their opposition to it (nobody likes censorship, right?) sound righteous and justified.