• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
When's the last time a mainline Zelda game outsold a mainline Mario game on the same console, if ever?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive thread, just going through it now.

But I feel it's lacking a vital comparison. We know the Mario Kart series over its franchise lifetime has been bought in huge numbers, and there's been a ton of video game systems being sold over the years since the SNES came out, including non-Nintendo platforms.
If only someone could compare these two totally related numbers. Perhaps using a pie chart.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impressive thread, just going through it now.

But I feel it's lacking a vital comparison. We know the Mario Kart series over its franchise lifetime has been bought in huge numbers, and there's been a ton of video game systems being sold over the years since the SNES came out, including non-Nintendo platforms.
If only someone could compare these two totally related numbers. Perhaps using a pie chart.
someone actually did an updated version in another thread

Qubie

Oct 25, 2017
IHVy3g2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
mgYJ2cT.jpg

NMcQw1O.jpg

E3 2005: Reggie jokes about all the figures being spelt by the rivals by stating that for Nintendo only one number had to be remembered: "2", as in 2 billions games (total software) sold on Nintendo consoles.
Reggie jokes about console specs for 360 -- offers another number: "2." As in "2 billion games sold by Nintendo." Says it's just the beginning. "Nintendo is not an 'or' company. Nintendo is an 'and' company." Talks about how Nintendo is about "change" -- and how more change is on the way. "We exist for the love the game." Reggie promises a new dimension of gameplay on DS.

December 2020: Nintendo published (first-party) million sellers' total sales surpass 2 billion games.

To give you an idea of the road traveled in the last 15 years, as December 2003 Nintendo published million sellers' total sales were 694 million units.

Last edited:

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
so, the only franchises left to not have their best seller on switch (that are still alive) are:

- 2D Mario
- Pokemon
- Donkey Kong
- Metroid
- Yoshi
- Kirby
- Wario
- Mario RPG

i see these as fitting into three categories. those that just haven't had their big NEW mainline release yet & have a good chance (DK, Metroid, Wario); those whose franchise peak is too high to realistically reach (2D Mario, Pokemon); and those who've had a release already, and may either leg it there eventually with said release OR need a new, more modern take to reach the top (Yoshi, Kirby, Mario RPG).

in conclusion... we could honestly see a situation where its only pokemon and 2d mario that don't have their all-time peak on switch. metroid will easily get there, DK and wario surely have a shot, origami king might leg it out, and depending on their next entries yoshi and kirby have a fighting chance. at the very least all of them will have or already have a top 3 entry on switch, insane stuff.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
NSW is just 30M units away from surpassing DS first-party software* sales.
While currently NSW has an install base similar in size to 3DS and GBA, it has already sold much more software (first-party software* and total software) than both.
Nintendo is the embodiment of the first-party driven model, it could be inferred that on average (including first-party games that sold less than 1 million units) more than 40% of the software sales on Nintendo platforms were from Nintendo published games**.

* What is referred as "First-party software" is actually an approximation calculated by summing every million-seller.
Since most Nintendo games sell at least 1 million units it should be a close enough approximation.
** Digital only games are excluded from the counting.

8sLEfda.png

Jan 30, 2021
Amazing thread.

Looks like Switch's first party game sales will fly past the Wii's. Already possible to happen by the end of calendar year 2021, because 2020 had first party sales of more than 100 million units.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Recently NSW surpassed the 3DS hardware sales launch aligned in Japan.
While 3DS total hardware sales are still quite higher than the current NSW install base the first-party software sales already looks notably stronger on NSW:

Nintendo (and TPC) million sellers total sales in Japan on 3DS: 37.95M
Nintendo (and TPC) million sellers total sales in Japan on NSW as December 2020 : 44.01M

Nintendo (and TPC) million sellers + other games that appeared on financial reports total sales in Japan on 3DS: 45.79M
Nintendo (and TPC) million sellers + other games that appeared on financial reports total sales in Japan on NSW as December 2020 : 52.77M

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Software ratios don't really count for much with more modern hardware due to Nintendo not counting Digital

But it amazes me how much 3rd parties have sold on Nintendo systems when you look at the raw numbers

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo sales data split by the broad platform usage category (as December 2020):

TV consoles total hardware sales: 280.87M
Handheld consoles total hardware sales: 430.16M
Tabletop consoles total hardware sales: 0.77M
Hybrid consoles total hardware sales: 79.87M

TV consoles total software sales: 2337.77M
Handheld consoles total software sales: 2213.10M
Tabletop consoles total software sales: ?
Hybrid consoles total software sales: 532.34M

TV consoles total first-party software* sales: 886.46M
Handheld consoles total first-party software* sales: 832.65M
Tabletop consoles total first-party software* sales: ?
Hybrid consoles total first-party software* sales: 281.07M

TV consoles: NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU
Handheld consoles: GB, GBA, DS, 3DS
Tabletop consoles: VB
Hybrid consoles: NSW

* What is referred as "First-party software" is actually an approximation calculated by summing every million-seller.
Since most Nintendo games sell at least 1 million units it should be a close enough approximation.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Total video game consoles sold by console manufacturer by March 2021 (in million units; only standalone consoles with interchangeable software).
In two/three quarters Nintendo should brake the 800M threshold.
Since the inception of the PlayStation brand of consoles Nintendo has sold around 95 million consoles more than Sony.

Xj6CeH0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I've updated the original post with th latest set of data as March 2021.
I've added a chart for R&D and Advertising expenses and a chart for Gross Profit Ratio, Operating Profit Ratio and Net Profit Ratio

A few random observation:

- Finally Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) has outsold Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) thus has become the second best selling Mario 3D game. It took forever!
- If memory serves me right it's the first time any Wii top sellers don't sell additional copies.
- 3DS new hardware shipment seems to have stopped so 75.94M is likely going to be the console definitive LTD.
- NSW first-party software total sales are on the verge to surpass the DS first-party software total sales.
- NSW now has the highest number of 10M+ seliing first-party games of any Nintendo consoles (11 and counting!).

Last edited:

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Also, Pokémon Sun and Moon has outsold Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire on GBA. So now the generations ranked by sales are,

1. Red & Blue
2. Gold & Silver
3. Sword & Shield
4. Diamond & Pearl
5. X & Y
6. Sun & Moon
7. Ruby & Sapphire
8. Black & White

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Also, Pokémon Sun and Moon has outsold Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire on GBA. So now the generations ranked by sales are,

1. Red & Blue
2. Gold & Silver
3. Sword & Shield
4. Diamond & Pearl
5. X & Y
6. Sun & Moon
7. Ruby & Sapphire
8. Black & White

insane how BW is at the damn bottom lol, but it is the only one with direct sequels, and I think the only one that came out soooo late in a console life cycle

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Donkey Kong Country had sold nearly 7.5 million units by March 1995.
Nintendo total hardware sales exceeded 141 million units by March 1995, to be exact 141.49M.

Above I've writtten how Nintendo announced at E3 that they had achieved total software sales of 2 billion games in 2005.
During 1995 Nintendo achieved total software sales of 1 billion games.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Some Game Boy annual software sell-in before 1998, unfortunately I miss the data for 3 fiscal years.
Be aware that for the data pre 1998 is likely "shipments to subsidiaries" instead of "shipments to retailers".

4Tdwbfv.jpg

Last edited:

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Great job like always.

Its crazy to think that Switch already has 11 games that are 10m+ seller and whitout any bundle,
Wii had 9 games that were 10m+ sellers but good part of those games were bundles.

P Diddy

Jul 1, 2020
I just realized something: Switch could sell-in a BILLION software without digital only software by March 2023. Currently, it is at 587.12 Million software sell-in as of March 2021, so it would "only" need to average around 206.5M for the next two years to do so.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
I just realized something: Switch could sell-in a BILLION software without digital only software by March 2023. Currently, it is at 587.12 Million software sell-in as of March 2021, so it would "only" need to average around 206.5M for the next two years to do so.

next 2 years could be NSW peak years too (hw)

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017

How many consoles have achieved over a billion software sold?

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
How many consoles have achieved over a billion software sold?
Only PS2 and PS4.
PS3 is very close, at 999.4M.

It's not known if Xbox 360 has done it.

The peculiarity with Nintendo (aside the fact that they don't count digital-only games) is that it adopts a first-party driven strategy which means their business model put more emphasis on strong first-party software sales at the expenses of third-party software sales which "hurt" the total software sales (which, on PlayStation and Xbox, is composed in large part of third-party software) but have some other positive aspects (high profitability, lower dependency on external factors, capacity to popularize unprecedented concepts by relying only on in-house software).

Last edited:

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Updated as of March 2020:

Quite late to the party, but I've update the charts and include a few other categories (Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sports and Zelda Remakes)

Top 3 Average Sales per Franchise
ERvoyDC.png

*Splatoon only includes 2 games

2D MARIO SALES
F72G1sb.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console ; Green = Hybrid Console

3D MARIO SALES
sgvdSoX.png

ANIMAL CROSSING SALES
sycaXdT.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console

DONKEY KONG SALES
RjaIjI9.jpg

Titles marked with * lack official sales numbers

FIRE EMBLEM SALES
vw155TP.jpg

Only includes Western released titles

F-ZERO SALES
eSvzrxt.jpg

KIRBY SALES
hrLvZp5.jpg

Blue = Handheld Console; Yellow = Home Console ; Green = Hybrid Console

LUIGI'S MANSION SALES
ZyNsQrj.png

MARIO KART SALES
h8kCHRE.png

MARIO PARTY SALES
S3mdoaD.png

MARIO RPG SALES
gnvvKFW.png

Blue = Paper Mario ; Yellow = Mario & Luigi

MARIO TENNIS SALES
b5CE5kA.png

MARIO SPORTS
2lsTgpV.png

Titles marked with * lack official sales numbers[

METROID SALES
BI7252v.png

PIKMIN SALES
evvO4ZS.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console; Green = Hybrid Console

POKEMON SALES
oYti009.png

Blue = Original Version ; Yellow = Third Version ; Green = Remake

SMASH BROS SALES
5ZJyT0o.png

SPLATOON & ARMS SALES
q3jXpju.png

Blue = Home Console ; Green = Hybrid Console

STAR FOX SALES
bdmmUCE.jpg

WARIO SALES
[
gCVEbZp.png

Blue = Wario Land ; Yellow = Wario Ware

YOSHI SALES
drYIWis.jpg

ZELDA SALES
py3v09p.png

Zelda Remake Sales
rwU5SqR.png

NINTENDO HARDWARE SALES
duNCn4r.png

TOP 3 GAMES PER CONSOLE
lowdZch.png

Wii Sports had to be split in half since it was skewing the graph too much.

TOP 3 GAMES PER FRANCHISE
bNZlapZ.png

All graphs based on OP.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
All graphs based on OP.
Isn't there an issue in some numbers? You seem to differenciate between "no data (past)" that get 0.1 as default value and "no data (future)" that get 0 as default value.
See Mario Sports graph, Metroid graph, Wario graph.
Edit: Ah I see! I guess it's to indicate home/portable split. It feels a bit misleading when numbers get believably low. \o/
Erratum:
Metroid Zero Mission is lacking a *
Zelda Four Swords, AC Amiibo Festival don't have the 0.1 convention
F Zero GX has two **

Last edited:
OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I've updated OP with the latest batch of data as June 2021.

Random trivia:
- NSW first-party software sales* have surpassed DS first-party software sales*.
- Super Mario 3D World + Boswer's Fury has become a million seller in Japan whereas Ring Fit Adventure has crossed 3 million units and Mario Kart 8 DX has reached 5 million units in the land of the rising sun.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great update Celine!

Any idea when we could see updated numbers for software that was last recorded as of June 2020? I assume we are awaiting a new White Paper for that but just curious.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I won't update the data in the OP anymore here.
It was made abundantly clear that this place [the staff or part of it] don't have regard for the efforts it takes to compile data nor understand that it's the aggregation of a small group of dedicated people that matter (after all it's a pretty niche subject!), not the platform which is just an empty host.

Good luck boys and girls.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It was made abundantly clear that this place [the staff or part of it] don't have regard for the efforts it takes to compile data nor understand that it's the aggregation of a small group of dedicated people that matter (after all it's a pretty niche subject!), not the platform which is just an empty host.

Thank you very much for all you've done Celine. It was an absolute pleasure reading what you put together.big you ever start a news letter or a self published blog that posts this information. I would love to know as I would be more then happy to follow it.

Last edited:

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for all!!!

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

Really appreciate all the work you put in, Celine! I'd reference this thread at least once or twice a month the entire time it's been up

Any chance you'll be continuing the work elsewhere, or at least keeping up an archive for your own purposes?

RennanNT

Dec 2, 2020

Thank you very much for the hard work and, if possible, please let us know if you have plans outside here.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017

This thread has been invaluable for me as a sales enthusiast. Really can't thank you enough for the hard work.