• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Great OP!

Why do we call the switch ‘nsw’ Though? Presume it stands for Nintendo... but none of the other systems get Nintendo (N) shoved in front of them...

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Damn it hurts to not see F-Zero GX on that million seller list. Game deserved so much more.
Yeah, F-Zero GX, Xenoblade 1/X, Eternal Darkness and other great games that didn't make it... So sad.

It's good to have this thread in ERA, thank you for the hard work!

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, amuses me that Wii games are still being tracked in 2017.

Always wondered a bit what the actual split was between Game Boy and Game Boy Color, since they were essentially spread over two console generations. Also would be interested to see the split before and after the release of 1st gen Pokemon.
I don’t have the exact figures handy but it was roughly 70m GB and 50m GBC. I think the original GB had only sold around 30m pre-Pokémon.

OP
OP
Celine
Oct 26, 2017
I don’t have the exact figures handy but it was roughly 70m GB and 50m GBC. I think the original GB had only sold around 30m pre-Pokémon.
By March 1998 (that is before Game Boy Color was released) Nintendo had shipped 65.78 million Game Boys.
It's not known what's the total shipment for GBC revision alone because Nintendo always reported all the Game Boy models together.
So we only know that GBC model final LTD is lower than 51.91M.

About pre-Pokémon (Pokémon R/G was released in February 1996 in Japan and about two and half years later abroad) GB sell-in see the chart below (so to add a touch of Sega in the thread):

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I find it surprising, considering that it's assumed that only the Nintendo faithful bought into the Wii U, that Mario 3D Word and Smash Bros aren't up there with the Mario Kart numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
OP, could you put total sales of Nintendo franchises? Like for example, Smash Bros: 40 million, excluding spin off or variants of some series. Mario Kart and Lugi Mansion for example are own series.

OP
OP
Celine
Oct 26, 2017
OP, could you put total sales of Nintendo franchises? Like for example, Smash Bros: 40 million, excluding spin off or variants of some series. Mario Kart and Lugi Mansion for example are own series.
It's time consuming because I haven't kept trace of the game series related to a game so it's a manual process.
I've created a graph two years ago (data is old, of course):

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Did not saw this thread before, this is surely going to be my favourite thread of the site just like it was on NeoGaf.

Never had the chance to say how i'm so glad you made this thread Celine, i love see sales data like this, and Nintendo is my favourite company, so this makes everything so much more enjoyable.

Can't wait for the nexts quarter reports. :D

OP
OP
Celine
Oct 26, 2017
Well I usually update the thread yearly at the end of the fiscal year but since the big results for Switch I might update it in the coming hours/days.

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is already the second best selling "third" Pokémon version.

Black 2/White 2 is 1 million above LTD-wise but launch aligned Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is above.

OP
OP
Celine
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo saild that Zelda BotW for WiiU sell-through is around 1.50M as December 2017.
So expect Zelda BotW for WiiU shipment LTD to be near that figure.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is going to be unveiled at E3 and ready for Halloween 2018.

Dark Moon was huge. Almost 6m for a single-player spin-off.
While it was outsourced, Dark Moon is the sequel of the original LM and indeed is performing spectacularly.
In the end LM2 may sell twice as much as the original LM.

Oct 25, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 3 is going to be unveiled at E3 and ready for Halloween 2018.

Dark Moon was huge. Almost 6m for a single-player spin-off.
If Next Level Games are doing Luigi's Mansion 3 (which would make sense) then I can't see it being ready this year. The development history for their last two games is as follows.

Luigi's Mansion 2 - 20/3/13
Metroid Prime: Federation Force - 16/8/16

Before Luigi's Mansion 2 it gets messy as they were working on games outside of Nintendo so it's more difficult to see a pattern.

It's possible they could get it done within 2 years as they now have experience working on the IP but I would bet Q2 2019.

OP
OP
Celine
Oct 26, 2017
Zelda OoT for 3DS has shipped 1.10M units since the last time we had data (September 2016).

Many of the million seller games for 3DS are really outdated by this point in time and I suspect some other are unaccounted for (for which I mean there may be games that became million seller over multiple fiscal years).
I hope in the future we could get a complete and updated list for 3DS (but now isn't the right time...).

OP
OP
Celine
Oct 26, 2017
WiiU SW sales during the first 3 quarters of the current fiscal year: 2.80M
Nintendo's forecast for the full fiscal year: 3.00M

SW sales in the first 2 quarters:

WiiU software: 2.00M
Wii software: 1.22M
DS software: 40K

SW sales in the first 3 quarters:

WiiU software: 2.80M (+800K)
Wii software: 1.69M (+470K)
DS software: 60K (+20K)

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
If Next Level Games are doing Luigi's Mansion 3 (which would make sense) then I can't see it being ready this year. The development history for their last two games is as follows.

Luigi's Mansion 2 - 20/3/13
Metroid Prime: Federation Force - 16/8/16

Before Luigi's Mansion 2 it gets messy as they were working on games outside of Nintendo so it's more difficult to see a pattern.

It's possible they could get it done within 2 years as they now have experience working on the IP but I would bet Q2 2019.
It's not that software houses work at one game per time. Federation Force doesn't seem a huge effort in terms of manpower and Luigi's Mansion 2 was already a breakout hit at the end of 2013. Nintendo might have given them a new Luigi's Mansion to develop, maybe on Wii U, which then was moved to Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that software houses work at one game per time. Federation Force doesn't seem a huge effort in terms of manpower and Luigi's Mansion 2 was already a breakout hit at the end of 2013. Nintendo might have given them a new Luigi's Mansion to develop, maybe on Wii U, which then was moved to Switch.
Yes it's possible and Next Level certainly have worked on multiple games at once in the past. I'm of the mind that Nintendo would want their external partners focused on one game at a time, particularly partners that are smaller. I hope you're right but I would suggest that you don't expect it as I feel you may be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Dec 5, 2017
Love this thread too. Thanks Celine!

As respects Luigi's Mansion 3, if it gets a boost from being on Switch (as many other games have) and by having a local co-op mode, it could solidify itself as a bigger franchise than Donkey Kong, and almost as big as Splatoon. We'll see, but it's crazy to even consider it.

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I wish we could get updated sales figures for Tropical Freeze and Returns 3D. Both games were added to the Nintendo Selects line in 2016.

OP
OP
Celine
Oct 26, 2017
I've updated the archive with the shipment data as December 2017.

I've removed the two pie graphs since they were quite worthless but in the hardware section I've added a more detailed table for consoles with information regarding total software sales, tie ratios, first-party sales.

Nintendo 3DS's First-party sales are very close to exceed NES's First-party sales.
Actually I do think 3DS already did it but the lack of updates for the lower selling million sellers prevent the officialization.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

I've removed the two pie graphs since they were quite worthless but in the hardware section I've added a more detailed table for consoles with information regarding total software sales, tie ratios, first-party sales.

Nintendo 3DS's First-party sales are very close to exceed NES's First-party sales.
Actually I do think 3DS already did it but the lack of updates for the lower selling million sellers prevent the officialization.
Thanks for the job Celine

Oct 27, 2017
That Wii SW/HW ratio :) I remember the Wii often discussed as fad console for the few Nintendo motion control titles.

Interesting data would be what is the statistical average sales period for software - I'd assume that Nintendo consoles would have higher scores compared to other industry

OP
OP
Celine
Oct 26, 2017
The update of the thread is going to be delayed because *reasons*.

However here a new chart I intend to keep updated from now on regarding Nintendo digital sales.
This is Nintendo digital sales from the very beginning with the Virtual Console on Wii back in 2006 to present.
I expect Nintendo digital sales to grow consistently in the coming fiscal years.

Oct 27, 2017
According to these numbers, the Wii sold like half a billion 3rd party games. It had tons of support.
I think a lot of that would be shovelware like all the super-successful Carnival games and other minigame collections. If the Wii got more ports of big games from that era (instead of confusing spin-offs), those would appeal to an entirely different audience and could have increased the numbers significantly. Instead, that audience was left with Nintendo's offerings and whatever quality titles they could dig out of the avalanche of shit that the third parties were producing constantly. That required significant research sometimes (many good games went pretty much unnoticed by media) which was why said quality titles often sold next to nothing.

Oct 27, 2017

Hello Celine :) No data for DD64?