• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
What is amazing is how nintendo managed to not drop the price of the 3ds after the 2011 price cut. They must be making insane profit on each unit sold.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn impressive month for Nintendo all around.

Software performance is incredible putting it mildly

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 December USA sales

December 2013 - 862.000
December 2014 - 1.065.000
December 2015 - 1.582.000
December 2016 - 1.568.000
December 2017 - 1.080.000

Switch first December is awesome. December 2018 is gonna be HUGE.

Oh wow...

Switch might be able to maintain its launch aligned lead (in the US) after the PS4's second holiday season... I didn't actually think that would be possible previously. I guess we'll see what kind of numbers it puts up in January.

EDIT: I guess the PS4's November 2014 might be high enough to put it over, so probably not. Either way that'll be a really interesting race to watch, despite the disparate launch seasons.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
This confirms Switch demand is real and still Strong, PS4 got November due to the massive USK price drop special

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and the system is basically maxed out in sales in Japan, which is its best market. You had people saying that PS3 and 360 would eventually reach 100 million too back in the day. Didn't happen. 100 million is a tough milestone to pass. I would be happy if it could just pass PSP's 82 million mark, but I'm not sure that will even happen.
It might beat PSP and GBA depending on how steeply sales decline this year, but yeah, that's the ultimate cap. It's done, it's not selling much more. It had a great run, let it go now people, lol.

If the 3DS keeps selling for years, it could get to 100 million for sure. Didn't PS2 sell another 50 million after the PS3 released?
That's my point though. Currently it sells about 5 million annually around the world, and it's at 70 million units- it would have to maintain that level of sales for SIX more years, with no declines, to reach 100 million. The PS2 situation is not analogous, it continued to be supported by third parties (most have dropped 3DS), and was sold in developing markets around the world where Nintendo has no presence. It's not getting to 100 million.

rofl

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I think that and DQ are the final big games.
DQ aint gonna do shit in the West. maybe a couple years ago (just like Japan), but without any cooperative multiplayer mode like DQ9, I think it's just gonna top out at a couple hundred thousand, if Nintendo advertises it (and I dont think they will)

at this point, the 3DS is gonna coast to the end on legacy software. probably more $20 evergreens over the course of the year with some localizations like Yokai Watch 3 and Atlus's stuff. but nothing bombastic after Detective Pikachu

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow...

Switch might be able to maintain its launch aligned lead (in the US) after the PS4's second holiday season... I didn't actually think that would be possible previously. I guess we'll see what kind of numbers it puts up in January.

It depends on stock which they don't have much of right now looking at Japan. The production increase hasn't caught up to demand yet.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DQ aint gonna do shit in the West. maybe a couple years ago (just like Japan), but without any cooperative multiplayer mode like DQ9, I think it's just gonna top out at a couple hundred thousand, if Nintendo advertises it (and I dont think they will)

at this point, the 3DS is gonna coast to the end on legacy software. probably more $20 evergreens over the course of the year with some localizations like Yokai Watch 3 and Atlus's stuff. but nothing bombastic after Detective Pikachu
I meant 'big' as in notable. I don't actually expect DQ to move much hardware or software for 3DS

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
3DS posted its best sales month, and people here are claiming its been dying for the past year, lol

Wait, that's his best sales month since december 2014, not overall. It's a good December, but far from the best.

3DS December sales

2011 - 1.606.000
2012 - 1.250.000
2013 - 1.100.000
2014 - 810.000
2015 - 581.000
2016 - 592.000
2017 - 750.000

Very good performance, for sure.

Oct 26, 2017
Will be interesting to see the next few months of Switch sales.

-Will Kirby and DKC sell consoles?
-How big is Labo going to be and will it sell a lot of Switches?
-Is Amazon going to be actually right for once and Dark Souls Switch will do great sales wise.

Of course, Monster Hunter World, Labo, and God of War are the most interesting products of the first few months, much more than Kirby, DKC, and Dark Souls. But those later three are still interesting.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
That works for DS games, but since the top screen of the 3DS has a longer aspect ratio it would be a little too cramped on a single screen, I think.

I wonder if it's possible for Nintendo to make a 2nd screen attachment for Switch. And it could have a cartridge slot for 3DS and DS carts.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where do we know about the percentage amounts of other consoles in comparison from? I'm curious

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on stock which they don't have much of right now looking at Japan. The production increase hasn't caught up to demand yet.

I thought that was just going to be a single week, due to the heavy pushes the previous weeks. I'd be a bit surprised if the stock shortage remains severe for the next several weeks.

Does anyone know if it's still supply constrained in the US at the moment?

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see 3DS do so well even after all this time. One of the best handhelds ever with one of the best libraries ever. The only thing really holding the 3DS back is that awful screen imo. If Switch even gets half the support the 3DS got I'll be happy. (It's slowly getting there too)

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was just going to be a single week, due to the heavy pushes the previous weeks. I'd be a bit surprised if the stock shortage remains severe for the next several weeks.

I believe Benji said that after periodic shortages in December, stock is stabilizing again (please feel free to correct me Benji!)

rb1121

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Chicago
Phew that will be really hard and I really can't see that happening unless they drop the price of the 2DS. Nintendo unlike Sony is really bad at turning their consoles into cash cows.

This is very true with home consoles, but Ninty has employed a successful long legs strategy to its handhelds several times. Gameboy got a second life with Pokémon. DS when it hit $99 exploded. If they get 3DS down to $99, all bets are off.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We will know how constrained the stock is in Japan next week, but if it doesn't get big shipments today/tomorrow sales will still be low. Remember software is dry too.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Nice! 1.5m Switch in NPD December falls right in line with the Resetera aggregate prediction: 1489k

Congratulations, Nintendo!

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn impressive month for Nintendo all around.

Software performance is incredible putting it mildly
How have the third party games been selling? I expect the bulk of the sales come from Nintendo themselves but I imagine third party games are also benefitting from the Switch's surge somewhat?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Oh wow...

EDIT: I guess the PS4's November 2014 might be high enough to put it over, so probably not. Either way that'll be a really interesting race to watch, despite the disparate launch seasons.

Switch won't be over PS4 after 14 months, because PS4 was at 6.68 million, and Switch need to sell an avarange of 450K the next 4 months. It can do even more than that in February and March, but January and April will be too low... Still, is gonna be close, and that's fucking incredible, considering we are comparing 2 holidays VS only one.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How have the third party games been selling? I expect the bulk of the sales come from Nintendo themselves but I imagine third party games are also benefitting from the Switch's surge somewhat?

3rd parties have mostly all been outperforming what would be expected. The Switch has been incredibly for software just look at the numbers digital only titles are pushing.

CavZee

Nov 6, 2017
Crazy that 3DS is still going so well. The whole brand of "Nintendo" seems to be going through such a resurgence. Good to see, not only for them but for the entire gaming ecosystem.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant 'big' as in notable. I don't actually expect DQ to move much hardware or software for 3DS
I dont think any game will move hardware at this point. not until a hypothetical $99 fire sale come christmas. TecChu wont push the needle much either. it's still a spinoff after all. but I think it can do a couple million worldwide. TPC does have a movie to push with high merchandising potetnial

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
This is crazy. Nintendo is on the way to dominating the gaming industry forever. 2018, 2019... the next years will be insane for the Switch.

I'm expecting the console to break all the records and Nintendo market value will reach $100 billion this year (2007 memories)

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Great numbers for both! Though I do feel kind of bad thinking about the possibility of a kid who wanted a Switch for Christmas and got a 3DS instead :(

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Benji said that after periodic shortages in December, stock is stabilizing again (please feel free to correct me Benji!)

Correct. There were shortages right at the very end of the month / post Christmas. Stock is looking solid now though

Awesome, thanks. So even if Japan's stock remains low it looks like the US isn't really facing shortages. So I guess January's number will tell us a bit more about what the stabilized demand level could be.

Switch won't be over PS4 after 14 months, because PS4 was at 6.68 million, and Switch need to sell an avarange of 450K the next 4 months. It can do even more than that in February and March, but January and April will be too low... Still, is gonna be close, and that's fucking incredible, considering we are comparing 2 holidays VS only one.

Yeah, the fact that it'll be close is incredible. I don't think many predicted anything like this.

Of course worldwide will also be a very interesting race with PS4, but Nintendo is likely losing ground there due to poor ROTW presence, though much of Europe is looking good.