Oct 28, 2017
Every user is different. The last thing that I want to see integrated and it has the potential to completely ruin the Switch experience for me, are achievements.

After years of using them in Steam, now I feel liberated from by abduction.

I'm a completist person, and I remember to complete 'Snake Pass' this January, including 100% of the collectibles in each level. Not an easy task, giving the difficulty of the game.

When I finally reached the end of the last level, I remember this satisfactory feeling of achieving a very hard peak. All of the collectibles. Every level.

And you know what? Then I felt the curiosity of seeing what were the achievements integrated in other systems through its Steam page.

Then I started to see ridiculous tasks, grindy objetives, esoteric and boring things based in a random and luck factor instead of relying in ability.

And I remembered how bad integrated were them. And how most of the time, for a completist person who needs the feel of achieving every single objetive in a game, they were ruining my video game experience. At the end, I was not as crazy of trying to achieve all of this bad integrated and time-consuming nonsense in any game, period. But at the same time I had a very bad feeling of being abandoning the games without completing them. Something that I never experienced in an entire life playing video games before the achievements.

I look now to 'Snake Pass'. And then I think that is a bless to have a company like Nintendo, who knows better than anyone else what the fun in video games is about. And how they are loyal and true to their vision of the medium, no matter the rest of tendencies in the industry.

And I love this approach of always doing his own thing. In Nintendo, all is about cardboard in opposition to loot boxes.

Guess what? You could have done exactly what you did even with achievements.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, I know that Arms is EPD. It's just that I lumped them both together but Arms was a different case since it's coming after all those months.

I hope that Xenoblade 2 is the next and Fire Emblem, Pokémon and the rest comes in time.
To be fair, ARMS is a completely new IP to the Switch. I guess they waited for the franchise to be out there for a while before sticking the avatars in there.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I'm just going to stop expecting that the OS will evolve far beyond what we have currently.

Themes, folders, and a save solution will come eventually and anything else is a blessing.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
This is a big one...? Like a x.0 release? I mean cool I guess. Doesn't change a damn thing about how I'll be using my switch but neat for others.

Is this Nintendo's usual MO here?

Sanlei

Oct 25, 2017
IOn a side note, I hate how they throw those 4.0, 5.0 system updates with no meaningful changes, I know that its just a notation system but it's a common sense that minor tweaks are just .0.0 stuff.
It is kinda a big deal with the new SoC and probably other tweaks for future updates.

Like I rewrote a program completely once and it was for me a major version as it was a whole new codebase, but the only noticeable things for endusers were just small performance boosts and allowing me easier implementation for future features(=making it future proof), which wouldnt have been possible in the previous version. Sounds like a minor version on paper for the users, but there couldnt be a bigger update than to rewrite a whole code base. Likewise i also called a major update .9 as it was part of a major version that just wasnt ready but i wanted to change it partly for preperation and public testing purposes. So something major for the developer could be minor for the user, but also something minor could be also a huge deal. Like version 3.0.1 was kinda like that.

Just saying its stupid to expect major updates to be directly major for the user. Its not how it works as its more important for developers and sure there are companies who use own version numbers for marketing purposes, while still having internal different development versions. But there is no rule or standard for that.

Dark-VIII

Oct 27, 2017
Not a very big update but the twitter friends and extended support for Bluetooth headphones is a great addition

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
The switch OS is on version 5 now?

Jesus...they went from version 1 to 5 in a year?

Sanlei

Oct 25, 2017
The switch OS is on version 5 now?

Jesus...they went from version 1 to 5 in a year?
Well Firefox went from 51 to 58 and Chrome from 56 to 64 in one year. Thats just a companies decision how they handle version numbers.

No Xenoblade 2 icons? Meh.
Yeah thats the real worst part as it shouldnt be major work to include avatars for promotion purposes on releases of said major games... I just want my Nia :c

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Well Firefox went from 51 to 58 and Chrome from 56 to 64 in one year. Thats just a companies decision how they handle version numbers.

i don't know about firefox since i've stopped using it but chrome has alot of under the hood changes and features added with each whole number jump since it's based on chromium which is opensource. Small bug fixes were relegated to point release in chrome/chromium...

Chae3001

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's literally a plus. Don't be stupid.

The less clutter on the Switch makes for an insanely snappy UI. The system is all about convenience, it works perfectly.

I've picked up quite few NeoGeo and eshop games in the last year. I would like to have folders so I can keep things organized. Snappy is not helpful for that.

Hoping for a feature that the last two systems had, and implemented well, is not stupid.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I've picked up quite few NeoGeo and eshop games in the last year. I would like to have folders so I can keep things organized. Snappy is not helpful for that.

Hoping for a feature that the last two systems had, and implemented well, is not stupid.
And its not like adding these features would make it any less snappy. People need to get real. Adding a new icon on the home screen or folders isn't gonna slow down the Switch. Yeesh.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Oqm6wAM.jpg

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I agree that Switch is missing some key features but if you look at PS4 UI, it's definitely too much and a lot of useless stuff that makes things overly complicated.
The PS4 can retain all the "useless" stuff and still have a UI that's simple and clean. Sony just needs to see the light and have passion for it, but they're too stuck up and hiding in their own sanctuary. If we really want them to change, we need to make an oath - don't think twice about boycotting them if they don't give us what we want.

JordanKZ

Oct 27, 2017
The say this community hypes up stuff like this is baffling.

Does the Switch need certain features? Sure. Do I think we'll see any of them anytime soon? Nope. This is Nintendo, go in expecting the very least...

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I mean, it's literally a plus. Don't be stupid.

The less clutter on the Switch makes for an insanely snappy UI. The system is all about convenience, it works perfectly.

While I agree with this, I don't see why we don't have themes.

And a personal gripe, I really wish the Eshop had music. I loved it on my Wii U.

Oct 28, 2017
As much as i want it, i cant think of a possible solution to make that even work. If you undock your game would crash bc the dlc or update data is on the hdd.

Active Data Transfer:

When you start an app or game that needs an update, most OS prompt you that there is an available update and some even require it. When playing a docked game with Active Data the switch should prompt you that some or all of the data is in the hard drive and the experience will be compromised if undocked and give you an option to transfer to the local memory of the Switch whilst you play.

Or

Sell a branded proprietary Wireless Hard Drive that is active on the local WiFi (less practical)

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I just wanted new or even downloadable themes. But adding people thru facebook and twitter is nice even tho it was solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Oct 30, 2017
Wow.. I'm amazed that it's a full version increase yet I can honestly say that there's not a single thing in that list that I care about. So much low-hanging fruit that people have been asking for since launch that they could have made an attempt to address...nope.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Have all the necessary features but keep the simple design and snappy feeling in tact.
Everyone will be happy then.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly wants cloud saves, the ability to take 1080p snapshots and just basic voice chat integration. Not tough stuff.

cozomel

Feb 17, 2018
Isn't that also the case with the PS4 and the XB1? It sucks but that's just how it's done
No, on the X1 its free, Live or no Live and on the PS4 you can copy your saves on to a USB drive, So neither is holding your saves hostage. On the Switch if your system breaks you lose them, period!

Last edited:

Kolma

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Right Joycon's update took significantly longer than Left Joycon update. Wonder if it's Labo/IR Camera related.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Hi alls! I'm having Error Code 2813-6838 when trying to redeem my 2x E-cards after the Update.

I'm going to buzz them tomorrow.

Anyone try redeeming E-cards?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
According to GameXplain, the update allows for the unintentional usage of Twitter/Facebook:

Twitter's interface seems quite snappy. It would be nice to have actual access to such apps...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
LOL good job Nintendo, I was excited to check whom of my facebook friends is using the Switch. So easy enough I try to connect my facebook account and enter my user information... and the password doesn't allow for any special characters. Great job there ;-) The user name allows for pretty much everything, but not the password. So either I am missing something or I will have to change my facebook password to use this feature because Nintendo hasn't foreseen this possibility.

Don't worry, version 7.0 will fix that.

Deleted member 36718

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 23, 2017
You can have both useful features and an uncluttered UI, believe it or not... It's almost as if though there's this whole branch in design centered around user experience that tech companies employ people to work on.

Lame update, I really hope that they haven't grown complacent.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
To be fair, ARMS is a completely new IP to the Switch. I guess they waited for the franchise to be out there for a while before sticking the avatars in there.
I think they were waiting until all of the characters were unveiled, then include them in one fell swoop. I notice that the ARMS choices even include Dr. Coyle as an option.
As much as i want it, i cant think of a possible solution to make that even work.
I'd do it by treating the USB drive as an external storage, and all you can do is move games to and from it to your Switch's internal memory or microSD. Tell the user not to undock the Switch during the transfer, then do a copy and delete of the game file. Easy peasy.
The say this community hypes up stuff like this is baffling.
We're easily amused.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
So added features (facebook and twitter integration) that make the experience of playing the Switch actively worse and still no standard features like an achievements list ect.

:( This will probably make me play my Switch less or offline only