• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible that they are doing (or helping with) the MPT remaster. That along with the TF port can help explain why it's been a while since they've released an original game.

But hopefully we do see Star Fox GP this E3, yeah.
Doesn't take 5 years to remaster two games.
The reasoning is most likely that we heard they were juggling two projects and the big one is struggling a lot.
The 2nd one is star fox racing which was likely never for 2018

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't take 5 years to remaster two games.
The reasoning is most likely that we heard they were juggling two projects and the big one is struggling a lot.
The 2nd one is star fox racing which was likely never for 2018

Yeah which is why I said help explain. I agree it makes the most sense that their first game they started in 2014 was cancelled/shelved as Kotaku reported, which is why we haven't seen that or the next game from them. But it also takes time and manpower to port games so them lending some help for these ports could also help explain their slow development time.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Why are people so sure that Metroid Prime 4 is releasing next year? Its lack of an appearance at the TGAs killed my hopes of it making a 2019 release. I mean, lets remember that a year and a half later it is nothing more than a logo.

Electro15

Oct 7, 2018
Somehow I wish the Switch Pro is real. I will get a Switch next year and will like that it could output 4k (not natively).

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I fear that, with the list of announced 1st party games, the line up for the year might be too full already? We have 8 that are Nintendo published, publishing more than 1 per month is probably bad business, a couple ports are probably coming too. Don't see much more coming that hasn't been announced unless a lot isn't coming this year which would be rough for those

2019 will be a very overwhelming year for Nintendo fans. There's still multiple games that haven't been announced yet.

Honestly, Nintendo could move multiple games to 2020, and it still wouldn't change much about 2019. It would still be a very packed year.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
2019 will be a very overwhelming year for Nintendo fans. There's still multiple games that haven't been announced yet.

Honestly, Nintendo could move multiple games to 2020, and it still wouldn't change much about 2019. It would still be a very packed year.

Yes.. I'm listening (reading) Emily. Please tell us more (with vague and indecipherable hints)

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next year is looking to be one of the best years in the 30+ I've been gaming. Being a huge fan of Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Mansion makes me super excited - just like 2013 for the 3DS. If we can also get a new Pikmin games(probably my favorite franchise behind Zelda) and the rumored Star Gox GP - oh lord. I'll probably be able to stop gaming after next year and be completely content.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018

Seeing my switch backlog, and what's been confirmed for 2019, I'm somewhat hoping Metroid Prime 4 and Bayo 3 are 2020.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

You were right in 2018 (it sucked, even if you didn't say it with those words). I wish you are in 2019.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think Metroid Prime 4 is probably 2020, sadly. I have a feeling Bayonetta will make it, though.

So on the first party side, we start with this:
  1. New Super Mario U Deluxe
  2. Yoshi's Crafted World
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  4. Town
  5. Luigi's Mansion 3
  6. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
  7. Animal Crossing
  8. Pokemon Generation 8
That's already a pretty solid foundation. And then we add:
  1. Metroid Prime Trilogy (seems super likely)
  2. Star Fox Gran Prix (too many people backed this rumor for it to not be true)
  3. Bayonetta 3
  4. 2D Zelda? (Game Informer mentioned it's much closer than we think)
It's shaping up to be a phenomenal year. I'd love to see them start to really reach back for their ports, though. They've pretty much sucked the Wii U dry at this point. Metroid Prime Trilogy would be a fantastic start, but I'd be so hyped for a Mario Galaxy HD collection. The original Xenoblade Chronicles would be great, too.

I also want to start hearing about new IP's. Monolith are working on something new, and Aonuma has gotta be working on that thief game based on his cryptic comments. Gimme gimme.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
My exception for 2019....... More damn surprise ports, please!!!! Diablo 3 is one of these ports that won me over. My favorite game of 2019. I need and want to buy another Switch, but it has to be a more powerful revision. I'll so like to see Nintendo step out of their shell and try something different when it comes original video game content. Personally they are a bit too predictable with the stuff they put out.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
You missed 2 of the most important: Animal Crossing and Pokémon. 8th gen is coming and sales will be big, alongside with the new hardware.
My expectation about 2019:

- January: Nintendo Direct before New Super Mario Bros. U + Travis Strikes Again (price is good for a game like that, I'm sold)
- February: Some Wii U port (Skyward?)
- March: Hoping for the Metroid Prime Trilogy, maybe announcement in January Direct
- April: Yoshi's Crafted World
- May: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3 and I can feel a porting of Detective Pikachu 1 + chapter 2 (literally a month for movies)
- June: Fire Emblem Three Houses
- July: Animal Crossing
- August: Some Wii U port
- September: Daemon X Machina (hoping not, september is full of Cod, Fifa ecc...)
- October: Luigi's Mansion 3
- November: Pokémon
- December: Bayonetta 3?

What I hope to see: GTA V, Dragon Quest XI S (I want a confirm about 2019 release), Kingdom Hearts 1, 2 and 3, more exclusives like Octopath, Mario an Rabbids, Daemon and UA3, and a New IP.

Hardware: New Nintendo Switch (is an easy name for people thanks to New 3DS systems, however I would like a Nintendo Switch S) with 128 gb, +5% of power and a +10% battery life.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I just want more M rated games or stuff that doesn't fit the usual Nintendo template. I'd love to see stuff like Last Story and Pandora's Tower coming out of Nintendo's pockets again to diversify the lineup.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

5llR.gif

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I know it's not a popular opinion but I want more ports of PS3/360 era games. Bioshock Collection, Fallout 3 & NV, Call of Duty Collection, Assassin's Creed collection, Vanquish, Binary Domain, Sleeping Dogs, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Prince of Persia 2008, Mass Effect Trilogy, Dragon Age: Origins, GTA 4, The Darkness 1&2, etc. I'd rather play that generation's games running at native-res (720 on tablet and 1080p on tv) at smooth frame-rates than ports of current gen games that are blurry and laggy.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Strong feeling Metroid Prime ain't gonna make it to 2019. Would love to be proven wrong on that, though.

Fire Emblem, Bayonetta, and Animal Crossing make for a strong year for my tastes. Is it possible they release a new mainline Pokemon and and an Animal Crossing on the switch in the same year? I feel like that will just be utter domination sales wise.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I just need my freaking Metroid on Switch.

I need the Trilogy.

Everything else is icing on the cake.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting. Thanks for confirming this.
The tragedy is that I'm going to enter this year with a stupid backlog I will never get rid of.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

I better start saving then
and selling some of my games...

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I'm going with crazy expectations that might never happen:

- New Zelda game. Either top-down Zelda or 3D Zelda with reused assets from BotW and smaller scope.
- Monolith Soft reveals their Action RPG and announces X port.
- Fire Emblem releases in May 2019 and will be huge. HUGE I tell you.
- Persona 5 is happening for Switch.
- Capcom reveals Ace Attorney 7 and MH5 portable.
- Castlevania compilation
- Classic IP's revival: F-Zero, Mother reboot, Custom Robo online, Golden Sun 3
- Switch Lite November 2019. No dock, power efficient chip, undocked performance only. €/$230 comes with MK8DX installed
- Super Switch march 2020. New chip, more power efficient. Performance close to Xbone, better screen but still 720p. Bluetooth, 64GB storage. €/$280
- Super Dock. Optional dock for Super Switch, built in Ethernet port, real usb 3.0, dock gives a modest power boost for framerate/res. Media streaming at 4k, 60fps enabled (twitch, YouTube, Netflix etc)
- Super Mario Odyssey 2 releases same time as Super Switch
- NSO Super NES service launches alongside Super Switch.
- NSO classic games goes to 3 games a week instead of per month.
- (Finally) themes. Either purchase them or unlock them with game purchases. Same with profile icons.
- Message friends directly on switch
- Make groups on Switch. Includes party chat, directly on Switch.
- Folders. They're customizable with....
- Badges! Badge Arcade 2 releases

These are mostly wishes for the Switch itself, which I think 2019 is the time we get (major) improvements on the Switch OS.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Just read that Pillars of Eternity 2 is coming to Switch as well. Another big gain for the console.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
My bets:
  • Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 won't release in 2019.
  • 2019 will be the biggest year ever for the Switch. Nintendo will sell more than 20 millions consoles.
  • Nintendo will release a Switch Pocket (handheld only, whitout removable Joy-cons) for 199$ in July, at the same time than Animal Crossing launch.
  • New DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis: Aces and Super Mario Party.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Why are people so sure that Metroid Prime 4 is releasing next year? Its lack of an appearance at the TGAs killed my hopes of it making a 2019 release. I mean, lets remember that a year and a half later it is nothing more than a logo.
There's no reason, just people wanting it to happen so come up with excuses as to why it's certainly happening.

If it doesn't happen they will be pissed and insist that it was obviously happening / implied that it was coming this year and in no way it was their fault to assume it's coming in 2019.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You probably can't answer this but earlier this year several people "in the know" claimed that Nintendo has multiple games in store that would have been ready to be shown at E3, in directs etc. but weren't for whatever reason. Do you think that this is still accurate?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking, Cygames have been very agressive with GBF on consoles and they said they want Dragalia lost to be one of their main games. So would a switch DL spin-off be possible?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

As someone who is not terribly interested in the types of games that have 2019 release dates already outside of Pokemon (such as Animal Crossing, FE, Luigi's Mansion) will any of these games that haven't yet been announced be major games?

You probably can't answer this but earlier this year several people "in the know" claimed that Nintendo has multiple games in store that would have been ready to be shown at E3, in directs etc. but weren't for whatever reason. Do you think that this is still accurate?

I don't think anyone claimed those were first party games. They were probably talking about things like Diablo 3, Warframe, Civ 6, etc.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Fire Emblem, Demon X Machina and Ultimate Alliance 3, from the in-progress gameplay footage we've seen, look really solid to me. Just those and dates for DQ Builders 2 and DQXI would make an awesome 2019 for me, let alone the stuff we inevitably havent seen anything of yet.

Fingers crossed for seeing what the future of Etrian Odyssey looks like too (although I suspect even if it's revealed and makes it to Japan next year, it probably wouldn't hit Europe/NA until 2020).

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

This is what excites me. They have so many games already announced for 2019 and typically Nintendo announces quite a few games that are revealed and released in the same year as well, like Smash and Pokemon Go were not known until months into 2018. Should make for an exciting combo.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
New Entries in Existing Franchises: Tons of exclusives to look forward to.
- Yoshi's Crafted World
- Daemon x Machina
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
- New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
- Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Bayonetta 3
- Metroid Prime 4
- Luigi's Mansion 3

Big Third Party Ports: Team Sonic Racing? Doom Eternal? Mortal Kombat 11? Take that, old people. Nintendo isn't kiddy no more.

Rumours: Metroid Prime Trilogy port? Can the leakers be salvaged? Or should they die like dogs?

More Wii U Ports: What else can Nintendo cook up, and more precisely where the fuck is The Wonderful 101?

Smash Ultimate DLC: Joker was a curve ball, but what else is in store? Will Nintendo have the balls to add Banjo?

New Hardware: Reports indicate that some new model of Switch is due to hit late 2019. Will it be a Switch-Lite? Switch-Pro? Will it forgo all cartridge access and be a dedicated portable Fortnight machine?

Pikmin 4: Pikmin 4?

LABO: ????????????????????????????

2018 is old news. Give us ya scoop.

Donkey Kong Trilogy and maybe a small Zelda are my guesses. I also hope to see more about the monolith rpg. But all in all id just be happy if only getting Metroid and Fire Emblem.

Labo is still selling (discounted).

Im ok with wiiu ports. Id play windwaker or xcx again.

Also curious what other publishers and indie studios will show. Capcom and Level 5 for example have been a bit hesitant until now.

Could be a pretty interesting year.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hopes and expectations.

Some sort of big UI/OS update for Switch. Still basic simple idea, but more icons, themes, and other cosmetic qol improvements.

Super Nes games on Switch online. Might require a new premium subscription.

One or two first party single player AAA games. Missing in 18. Need em this year. Luigi 3 or metroid 4 or pokemon have to deliver. Or something new announced. Goty level ambition is needed here.

A healthy amount of third party ports.

I think the new model will be a Switch light. Smaller and more portable. Not sure if it will be dockable.

No paid dlc for mario kart, tennis, and party.

Hope some improvements and standardization is made to online app chat. Currently every game uses it differently. It's a confusing mess.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder if Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3 and Starfox Granprix will ALL be 2019 bound. That would be amazing !

Yeah I'm gonna doubt that will happen. I could see two of those being 2019 but all three might be too much, since they'd all probably have to share H2 2019 given what we know of them right now (AKA nothing).

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
My prediction: 2019 is heralded as the best year for Nintendo fans, ever.

The Switch still does not get any UI updates. The hardware update is a better battery and increased internal storage. That's it.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that 2019 will be Monolith Soft's 20th anniversary. I hope they have something neat to announce for next year. I still feel like 2019 is too early for either RPGs to be announced and/or released.

Maybe a Xenosaga collection is possible? It was their first set of games and it's what led to the creation of the Xenoblade series. Also, Bandai Namco and Nintendo/MS have a good relationship.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting on Prime Trilogy HD, Daemon x Machina, and anything regarding SMTV.
Wonder what kind of Wii U ports we'll get. I'm sort of half heartily expecting a Zelda "Triforce Collection" of 3 games like WWHD, TPHD, and SSHD.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
My guess for lineup:

Jan: New Super Mario Bros DX(duh)
Feb: Yoshi's Crafted World
March: Fire Emblem 3 Houses
April: Metroid Prime Trilogy HD and Daemon x Machina
May: Zelda Port or 2d Game
June: Animal Crossing
July: Nothing
August: Xenoblade Chronicles X Port
September: Return if an old IP
October: Bayonetta 3
November: Pokemon Gen 8
December: Metroid Prime 4

2020 will be Pikmin 4, New Kirby game, Mario Maker 2, and Diamond and Pearl remakes, Town will get moved due to having all hands on deck for what will be the biggest exclusive Nintendo has ever released in terms of impact and sales.

In terms of sales?

I think every game will be the fastest selling game in their franchises.

Metroid Prime and Bayonetta will resonate strongly with hardcore gamers and wildly acclaimed. Prime 4 sells 4 million, Bayonetta 3 sells 2.5 million(I mean let's be honest the Wii U Port of 2 sold 400k copies in a month to customers and is probably close to if not past 1 million shipped).

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I major IP per month, 1 minor IP for month and 1 Expansion Quality DLC every 3 months.

Ports and remasters count as minor IP.

Expect 1 more entirely new spin offs like Rabbids Kingdom Battle. 50% chance it is another Mario IP 50% it will be another IP but not Zelda, Metroid or Pokemon related.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that 2019 will be Monolith Soft's 20th anniversary. I hope they have something neat to announce for next year. I still feel like 2019 is too early for either RPGs to be announced and/or released.

Maybe a Xenosaga collection is possible? It was their first set of games and it's what led to the creation of the Xenoblade series. Also, Bandai Namco and Nintendo/MS have a good relationship.

I'd love a Baten Kaitos collection/remaster.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Here's my predictions.

- Fire Emblem will launch in June right at the end of Spring just to avoid another delay. The game will look much better than the first trailer (which was a little rough) and they will announce season pass plans at Fire Emblem Expo (no 2 versions unlike Fates).

- Atlus will start to release something for the Switch and it will be SMT V, not Persona.

- Nintendo Switch P (P stands for Power) will be revealed and coming in the holiday season.
1) Shipping with Tegra X2
2) Same size as the current Switch but larger display due to the slimmer bezels
3) It will have new colours (also for the main unit not just joycons), the coloured ABXY buttons will also make a return.
4) 1080p display and 5000 mAh battery.

- A big software update with themes and other new features will be released alongside the Nintendo Switch P.

- Overwatch shadowdropped at E3 continuing the tradition of big multiplayer titles shadowdropped at E3 (2017 was Rocket League, 2018 was Fortnite and Paladins)

- Nintendo will announce Retro's new game and it will NOT be Star Fox Grand Prix.

- Metroid Prime 4 trailer + gameplay will appear at E3 2019 but still not coming in 2019. I'm worried that team can't pull it together, so it could be like Star Wars 1313. Huge announcement, it will look incredible but then who knows when it is coming? I hope this is not Nintendo's Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

- Ridge Racer 8 is still happening. Visually will be a slight upgrade from Unbounded, if they fix the gameplay than it could be a good title.

- SNES games announced for NSO.

- Netflix and Twitch apps coming by the end of the year.

Personally i'd be happy if all announced games so far are coming next year.

Last edited: