• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Nintendo Switch OLED Model Hands On Event for journalists, held yesterday (July 9th).

www.theverge.com

Nintendo Switch OLED hands-on: a small upgrade that makes a big difference

It’s not a Switch Pro, but it is very nice.

www.gamespot.com

Nintendo Switch OLED Hands-On: It Isn't The Console's True Successor, And That's Just Fine

We got our first hands-on with the new Nintendo Switch OLED, and while it's not the next big thing, it left me impressed with how much it improved the console.

www.ign.com

Nintendo Switch OLED Hands-on: We Compared It to the Original - IGN

The latest Nintendo Switch model is a no-brainer for newcomers, but more nuanced as an upgrade.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
That what I think now too

Switch - 2017
Lite/Mariko - fall 2019
OLED Switch - fall 2021
"Super Switch" - fall 2023 w/Mario Kart 9 as launch title (cross-gen game that is 4K/60 fps on new model, will work on old Switch models though).

Maybe they'll sneak in a quietly released OLED Switch Mini somewhere in there (2022 or 2024).

Yeah agree, maybe they would call it Switch 2, also new 3D Mario game could easily be 2023. game.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I kinda feel like Nintendo isn't going 4K anytime soon. If anything, the "Super Switch" might focus more on performance while maintaining 1080 visuals.

I would be happy with this. More RAM, more power, games running at a consistent 1080 at 60 FPS.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel like Nintendo isn't going 4K anytime soon. If anything, the "Super Switch" might focus more on performance while maintaining 1080 visuals.

I would be happy with this. More RAM, more power, games running at a consistent 1080 at 60 FPS.
4K would largely be achieved through DLSS. Games would be closer to 1080p native for performance reasons

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia

I think part of Sony/MS etc... going for the PS4 Pro/One X was a recognition that most people had or were going to upgrade to 4K tvs and that their games needed to present well on those displays - I'm guessing Nintendo are coming to the same conclusion slower as Japan doesnt quite have the same speed of uptake and developing countries are starting to upgrade too - but if they can use DLSS to present the games better on UHD displays without changing their workload (ie: not actually making 4k games) then I think it is starting to make sense for them to have a 4K compatible system that looks good on those screens even if theyre not aiming for native 4k

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

Regardless of how they market it, that's probably what they'd aim for internally.

It's why i'd still personally be happy with a 7" 720p screen on the next switch, if it meant that they could actually hit that resolution more often. 720p might sound like a meme in 2023 but it's still really nice and a more realistic target to hit for a mobile switch, especially if it has DLSS which would allow for "4k" support in docked mode.

Only reservations with a 720p screen is if they wanted to tackle VR, then obviously a higher res + refresh rate would be needed but i'm unsure as to how likely that'd happen.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
4K would largely be achieved through DLSS. Games would be closer to 1080p native for performance reasons
I think part of Sony/MS etc... going for the PS4 Pro/One X was a recognition that most people had or were going to upgrade to 4K tvs and that their games needed to present well on those displays - I'm guessing Nintendo are coming to the same conclusion slower as Japan doesnt quite have the same speed of uptake and developing countries are starting to upgrade too - but if they can use DLSS to present the games better on UHD displays without changing their workload (ie: not actually making 4k games) then I think it is starting to make sense for them to have a 4K compatible system that looks good on those screens even if theyre not aiming for native 4k
Regardless of how they market it, that's probably what they'd aim for internally.

It's why i'd still personally be happy with a 7" 720p screen on the next switch, if it meant that they could actually hit that resolution more often. 720p might sound like a meme in 2023 but it's still really nice and a more realistic target to hit for a mobile switch, especially if it has DLSS which would allow for "4k" support in docked mode.

Only reservations with a 720p screen is if they wanted to tackle VR, then obviously a higher res + refresh rate would be needed but i'm unsure as to how likely that'd happen.
I agree with all of what you are saying. DLSS is sorta a happy compromise I'd be content with. Personally, I'd much prefer frame rate to resolution (I'll take 1080 at 60 over 4K at 30, but that's just me).

If anything, I just hope the "Super Switch" has a bit more parity with the PS5/XSX as that gap will get wider in the coming years. Thankfully for Nintendo's sake, the current gen is off to a really slow start.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
I agree with all of what you are saying. DLSS is sorta a happy compromise I'd be content with. Personally, I'd much prefer frame rate to resolution (I'll take 1080 at 60 over 4K at 30, but that's just me).

If anything, I just hope the "Super Switch" has a bit more parity with the PS5/XSX as that gap will get wider in the coming years. Thankfully for Nintendo's sake, the current gen is off to a really slow start.

Yeah I think basically 2023 will be next gen's real starting point apart from some early big hitters so they need something out in earnest around then at the latest

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
It's true that OLED look better than LCD with higher contrast than LCD.
But some of the games played on the current Switch when undocked are ugly and unappealing (Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and AoC etc).
Those games would still be ugly even if they were displayed on OLED. OLED is not a magic display.
Many games can run at 720p if they can use the same operating clock as the dock mode without DLSS or the new soc, but it's a shame that Nintendo will never lift the limitation because they prioritize battery life.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Yep. Stick to around 720p and 1080p for the handheld and docked internal resolutions, but use DLSS to bring them up to 1080p handheld and 2160p docked. They could do that next year and still have a visible generational leap, especially if they brought up the docked power draw.

Nov 3, 2017
This is maybe the most disappointing thread in the whole history of the forum. There are parts of Youtube that discussed the news in a more civil manner, and that`s saying something.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Yeah I think basically 2023 will be next gen's real starting point apart from some early big hitters so they need something out in earnest around then at the latest

We'll get Horizon: Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Halo Infinite and Starfield in 2021 and 2022. Why would you want to call 2023. "a starting point"? The generation will be well under way in 2023.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
This reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they never said or hinted anything about a Switch Pro but the hype the insiders created made me think they were finally going to announce it. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew the stronger revision was expected, they should've cancelled the announcement.

I laughed. Been a while since I saw this copypasta

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
It's true that OLED look better than LCD with higher contrast than LCD.
But some of the games played on the current Switch when undocked are ugly and unappealing (Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and AoC etc).
Those games would still be ugly even if they were displayed on OLED. OLED is not a magic display.
Many games can run at 720p if they can use the same operating clock as the dock mode without DLSS or the new soc, but it's a shame that Nintendo will never lift the limitation because they prioritize battery life.
I already have a Switch with a 65" OLED display and can confirm; games look like crap (and often perform like crap on top).

I really think Nintendo's games deserve better.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
We'll get Horizon: Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Halo Infinite and Starfield in 2021 and 2022. Why would you want to call 2023. "a starting point"? The generation will be well under way in 2023.
Horizon, GOW and Halo are cross gen, Starfield is what I described as an early big hitter (though its in late 2022 almost 2023) - not trying to start a whole argument about cross gen, but it seems like 2023 is the time we would start getting the vast majority of big games being PS5/Series X exclusive games and PS4/XB1 etc... are phased out in big releases so 2023 would be the most likely point where Nintendo will need an in earnest upgraded proposal for third party devs

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Horizon, GOW and Halo are cross gen, Starfield is what I described as an early big hitter (though its in late 2022 almost 2023) - not trying to start a whole argument about cross gen, but it seems like 2023 is the time we would start getting the vast majority of big games being PS5/Series X exclusive games and PS4/XB1 etc... are phased out in big releases so 2023 would be the most likely point where Nintendo will need an in earnest upgraded proposal for third party devs

Cross-gen or not, Switch already struggles with last gen multiplatform titles, and compared to the visuals of PS5 and XSX versions of these cross-gen titles, the difference in perception is going to be even bigger. Most of current games can't run on Switch and devs are turning towards streaming solutions, which are not ideal. What you say would make sense if Switch could run the majority of current and cross-gen multiplatform titles, but it already can't.

Now, Nintendo knows their audience and I'm sure they know what they are doing. But 2023 is a very arbitrary year for them to start thinking about 3rd party games with the power their current hardware has. A game doesn't have to be "next-gen only" for it to be too much for current Switch hardware.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Cross-gen or not, Switch already struggles with last gen multiplatform titles, and compared to the visuals of PS5 and XSX versions of these cross-gen titles, the difference in perception is going to be even bigger. Most of current games can't run on Switch and devs are turning towards streaming solutions, which are not ideal. What you say would make sense if Switch could run the majority of current and cross-gen multiplatform titles, but it already can't.

Now, Nintendo knows their audience and I'm sure they know what they are doing. But 2023 is a very arbitrary year for them to start thinking about 3rd party games with the power their current hardware has. A game doesn't have to be "next-gen only" for it to be too much for current Switch hardware.
I mean the sooner the better obviously - but the industry will shift in 2022/2023 to beyond what even now only gets a few rare ports to Switch so they'll get even less than they currently get at that point. COVID will still have affected releases through 2022, so it does buy them some time to an extent - I think 2023 is where it becomes largely untenable for them to continue with their current hardware

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I have been off the grid for a new days so i completely missed this, oh boy was i disappointed, i wanted a more powerful switch, a better screen for the switch is useless for me since i only use it in the dock, well i guess the switch pro dream is dead now. :(

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo can only stick with a cpu from 2012 for so long

Yeah kinda sad. The Nvidia Shield Pro has the same chip more or less and does 4K upscaling via a basic "AI" algorithm. I find it works pretty well. Better than not having it, anyway. Would be nice for something like that at minimum somehow.

The odd thing is the Switch via the Dock actually can natively output at 4K. I've put Ubuntu on the thing and it'll do it and I've counted the pixels lol. Obviously it wouldn't render at that natively, but yeah. Nvidia and Nintendo should work even more closely on that for Switch to clean up the image quality on 4K sets at the very least even if they can't improve the FPS without a full hardware refresh.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah kinda sad. The Nvidia Shield Pro has the same chip more or less and does 4K upscaling via a basic "AI" algorithm. I find it works pretty well. Better than not having it, anyway. Would be nice for something like that at minimum somehow.

The odd thing is the Switch via the Dock actually can natively output at 4K. I've put Ubuntu on the thing and it'll do it and I've counted the pixels lol. Obviously it wouldn't render at that natively, but yeah. Nvidia and Nintendo should work even more closely on that for Switch to clean up the image quality on 4K sets at the very least even if they can't improve the FPS without a full hardware refresh.
Shield upscaling only works on cloud streaming when the gpu is not busy though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the time to upscale isn't usable for video games. Mariko is way too slow for that. and the quality would be poor anyway since the input data isn't good enough quality. luckily there's an SoC in development for better performance

Linkie3

Feb 8, 2019
I have until October 8 to decide if i keep my pre-order. But the problem is if a Switch Pro comes out in 2022, i will feel bad about buying the Switch OLED. But if no new hardware is coming out until 2023 i will be fine. But if i don't buy it i will regret it by 2022 that u didn't buy the OLED. Are more people here struggling with this thought of mind?

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
I have until October 8 to decide if i keep my pre-order. But the problem is if a Switch Pro comes out in 2022, i will feel bad about buying the Switch OLED. But if no new hardware is coming out until 2023 i will be fine. But if i don't buy it i will regret it by 2022 that u didn't buy the OLED. Are more people here struggling with this thought of mind?

Kinda, but I honestly think this was Nintendo's chance to make a new and improved Switch. The hardware is getting old and given this revision and I fully expect them to switch to the Switch 2 in early 2023 after they've launched Breath of the Wild 2 etc.