brainchild

Independent Developer
Banned
Nov 25, 2017
DoctorChimp

Fair enough. I guess I must have missed that post. And I apologize if I came across as a bit snappy but it's annoying seeing all these comments suggesting that we're just making stuff up or moving goal posts.

I feel like this is unnecessary, we can express disappointment and discontent about things while still being adults here. We can have dialogue on the matter. The people I am referring to (and let's be real, Bloomberg as well) hyped this up to an extent that they were nearly 100% sure this was going to be a thing. With all this imminent talk. Now that it turned out they were pretty wrong, people are supposed to be just like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Just doesn't work that way. They put their name and reputation on something, hyped something up, and fell really short. Whether it was due to getting their wires crossed or not is irrelevant, if you don't want shade thrown at you be careful about how you present information you are given.

I think sometimes even considering what you said, it's just good to not respond (advice I should probably be taking myself). I only say this because there are so many people who argue in bad faith. After so many encounters like that, you just come to expect it from anyone you perceive to be hostile towards you. I do appreciate your genuine response, however.

Krypt

Nov 10, 2017
Center of the World
Also the Wii. The last time Nintendo went for power was back in GameCube and I literally do not understand why people still think they are going to do something to go that route.

I can understand people wanting them to do it, but for the life of me I can not see why would anyone expect them to actually do something like that.

And I am in no way defending them or something like that because FUCK them for selling the OLED model for $350 instead of $300 and making the V2 model $250.
That if you already owe a switch no need to buy this one. you can wait. This product is for new customers. im getting it so i can hack my OG switch. OLED and eternet is a plus.

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall
DoctorChimp

Fair enough. I guess I must have missed that post. And I apologize if I came across as a bit snappy but it's annoying seeing all these comments suggesting that we're just making stuff up or moving goal posts.
Nah man you're good. Nintendo fans can be a bit...rabid to say the least. They tend to go after anyone and everyone regardless of where the information came from. You, in particular, haven't changed your stance and if anything this solidifies it. I feel like you don't need to defend yourself.

I think sometimes even considering what you said, it's just good to not respond (advice I should probably be taking myself). I only say this because there are so many people who argue in bad faith. After so many encounters like that, you just come to expect it from anyone you perceive to be hostile towards you. I do appreciate your genuine response, however.

It's unfortunate that there are so many trolls or "gaslighters", it ruins the chance for a good conversation. But I can't fault you for having this mindset, I probably would as well in your position.

Karl Havoc

Dec 10, 2019
I own a Lite and have been curious about the size jump to 7″. I couldn't find any sort of size comparison diagram online, so I threw this together - maybe helpful for anyone else pondering the jump.

Nintendo Switch screen size comparison

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
ppi is still good at 7inch, but the games have to run at 720p to really take advantage of it

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
But yeah, to all of the people saying "who is this even for?" - I think it might be me, lol.
Owning a Switch Lite I feel the same. I went for the Lite because I didn't want another console besides my PS4 and PC hooked up to the TV and taking space in the living room; games I'd like to play on the go differ hugely from those I'd like to play on the big screen, and the latter I'd rather do with the PS4 or PC.

Sure, some Nintendo only games would be cool on a big screen but then again they're 1080p or even lower strechted over 55 inch... I don't know.

There were a few occasions when I wished I could dock the Switch, for multiplayer games and for showing a friend some games.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The more i think about it, this is actually quite the nice upgrade for pretty much everyone that doesnt own the Switch 2019 model.

I can see a bunch of Switch Lite and OG Switch users make the jump, especially for the ones that were looking to have multiple Switches in their house holds anyway. 2nd Dock for the living room, 2nd set of Joycons and a much improved portable/table top experience.

Really interested to see how this will perform and what kind of users will make the jump.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
I Pre-Ordered mine Today and the Online-Shop was all ready Sold-Out (They had about 250 Console for the first shipment), so it looks like there is some demand I reckon.

I still have my 2017 Switch, didn't purchase the Switch Lite so I'm excited for the OLED Switch.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I own a Lite and have been curious about the size jump to 7″. I couldn't find any sort of size comparison diagram online, so I threw this together - maybe helpful for anyone else pondering the jump.

Nintendo Switch screen size comparison
it will feel like a massive jump honestly lol. I lost my OG switch for a year or two, and played on my lite for that time. Found my launch switch and the screen felt much bigger/better instantly.

AndTAR

Oct 28, 2017
I attempted to search a bit for discussion about this, and could not find anything - so my apologies if it has indeed already been analysed, but:

vHUxNer.png

Anyone with any idea what this element could be, next to the screw by the vent? It is not present on the original hardware. Might perhaps be a tamper seal placed over just one screw, of course, but it just strikes me as a weird location for this.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
I attempted to search a bit for discussion about this, and could not find anything - so my apologies if it has indeed already been analysed, but:

vHUxNer.png

Anyone with any idea what this element could be, next to the screw by the vent? It is not present on the original hardware. Might perhaps be a tamper seal placed over just one screw, of course, but it just strikes me as a weird location for this.

Its a 4K Button that makes all Games runs in 4K 60FPS.... JK I dunno either what this could be, is it presents on the Switch Lite?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

vHUxNer.png

light sensor

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

vHUxNer.png

Pretty sure that's supposed to be a light sensor, presumably for auto adjusting screen brightness.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Dave2D makes some great points here.

• He says a 1080P screen would be a waste of resources for a portable device--more power draw.
  • Switch is one its fourth year and had its best year to date. Consoles usually trend down. Why introduce a spec bump and cut their
  • momentum? Ride the OG Switch hardware (the internals) until the ground.
  • Enthusiasts will always be upset. Look at the sales numbers. They speak for themselves. Nintendo doesn't need new SoC.

Oct 27, 2017
i have a launch model and a lite.

NOW. how significant was the update in 2019? is it different from lite's internals? i'm so clueless on this stuff.

if it's a decent bump, i might spring for this.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020

• He says a 1080P screen would be a waste of resources for a portable device--more power draw.
  • Switch is one its fourth year and had its best year to date. Consoles usually trend down. Why introduce a spec bump and cut their
  • Enthusiasts will always be upset. Look at the sales numbers. They speak for themselves. Nintendo doesn't need new SoC.

I agree on the screen, but none of those other points are compelling to me, considering I have no vested interest in Nintendo's business interests. In the end, I was hoping for something that ran games at a smoother fps. That said, I can wait for a product that is for me. I'm in no rush.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
It seems like the price difference in America between the standard Switch and the OLED Switch ($50) is a big deal. Many folk in this thread have complained about it.

Where I live in U.K. the price difference between the standard and the OLED is only £30. So for a brand new customer diving in it isn't that much to get the upgraded version.

Those are disingenuous complaints and arguments, $50 isn't a big deal to anyone buying a Switch. Any version of it is already the most expensive console to own, given Nintendo's staunchly price controlled evergreen titles and lack of any kind of meaningful PS+ or Gamepass style contemporary library. Switch's target demographic is most similar Apple's, people with enough disposable income that $60 is a thoughtless amount of money that can be carelessly frittered away on games they play for 10 minutes while doing something else. Everyone probably knows several middle aged lapsed gamers with libraries full of digital Switch games they've bought and never played.

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Switch is one its fourth year and had its best year to date. Consoles usually trend down. Why introduce a spec bump and cut their momentum? Ride the OG Switch hardware (the internals) until the ground.
The big reason to bump specs while the platform is hot is that's fewer users you have to convert to the new spec later after you've begun sunsetting support for the old one.

Nintendo has only had one direct hardware successor not decline compared to its predecessor, and that was GBA. (Technically GBA sold fewer units than Game Boy but launch aligned it trended better.) They are very good at creating new, exciting brands and not necessarily great at long-term retention.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

vHUxNer.png

I didn't realize how different the oled switch's chassis was from the OG's, everything up there is new. New power button and volume buttons, new vents, new headphone jack, even the game card cover looks different. Definitely more of a refresh than just the screen.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize how different the oled switch's chassis was from the OG's, everything up there is new. New power button and volume buttons, new vents, new headphone jack, even the game card cover looks different. Definitely more of a refresh than just the screen.
Yeah, not sure I like the new volume buttons but otherwise seems nicer. Any good shots of the back vents and/or SD slot?

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I'm just finding out the thing won't be released in México until the holidays. Hopefully we'll be able to order from Amazon US.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Good points, but they're points made from a sales perspective. The Switch is showing it's age in terms of performance, and this is becoming more and more problematic as some Nintendo published games can't even maintain 30 FPS at 720p.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

My Switch cries whenever I try to play Age of Calamity though. So do my eyes. Hurts my eyes to play this game with current performance.

He basically made the same sales points everyone else has made on this forum 20,000 times over. The Switch is popular and sells a bunch. We already know this haha.

We probably get a New Nintendo Switch Pro with a new SoC if there isn't a chip shortage. It is what it is. We just have to wait it out for Super Nintendo Switch 2.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The big reason to bump specs while the platform is hot is that's fewer users you have to convert to the new spec later after you've begun sunsetting support for the old one.

Nintendo has only had one direct hardware successor not decline compared to its predecessor, and that was GBA. (Technically GBA sold fewer units than Game Boy but launch aligned it trended better.) They are very good at creating new, exciting brands and not necessarily great at long-term retention.

That's not true at all. In any case where there's a more powerful iteration, the general public will always choose to retain their pre-existing consoles. Especially if there's a perception that the iteration isn't providing anything exclusive that they wouldn't already get on their pre-existing console (this is primarily why you see developers aim for a wide net when making games that work for the preceding console with enhancements for the iteration).
The only people that actually convert, are the tech-saavy and enthusiast crowds (obviously a much smaller group than the general public). We've seen this multiple times in the previous generations whether it was 3DS-n3DS, PS4-PS4 Pro or Xbox One-Xbox One X (to a slightly lesser extent given that the poor sales of Xbox One allowed the XOX to position itself stronger, although there's an argument for the initial price being a tough sell as well).

Those are disingenuous complaints and arguments, $50 isn't a big deal to anyone buying a Switch. Any version of it is already the most expensive console to own, given Nintendo's staunchly price controlled evergreen titles and lack of any kind of meaningful PS+ or Gamepass style contemporary library. Switch's target demographic is most similar Apple's, people with enough disposable income that $60 is a thoughtless amount of money that can be carelessly frittered away on games they play for 10 minutes while doing something else. Everyone probably knows several middle aged lapsed gamers with libraries full of digital Switch games they've bought and never played.

This makes zero sense. PS+ isn't that meaningful at all (certainly not with how many people bitch and complain about how little it offers), and Gamepass is working towards a future where you don't need an Xbox. Furthermore, I don't understand saying Nintendo's rarely price-dropped games as a negative. Value is subjective, and the fact that these games are selling ridiculously well points to how consumers perceive the games as worth it at their current price tag. You are more than welcome to disagree with the value proposition, but you'd be incredibly silly to think that it's somehow a negative with how many sales records it's setting for their own franchises.

And the fact that you think there's overlap between Apple and Nintendo's markets, that's the yikest take I've ever read in this forum.

Last edited:

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
This makes zero sense. PS+ isn't that meaningful at all (certainly not with how many people bitch and complain about how little it offers), and Gamepass is working towards a future where you don't need an Xbox. Furthermore, I don't understand saying Nintendo's rarely price-dropped games as a negative. Value is subjective, and the fact that these games are selling ridiculously well points to how consumers perceive the games as worth it at their current price tag. You are more than welcome to disagree with the value proposition, but you'd be incredibly silly to think that it's somehow a negative with how many sales records it's setting for their own franchises.

And the fact that you think there's overlap between Apple and Nintendo's markets, that's the yikest take I've ever read in this forum.

I actually didn't say or imply it was a negative, only evidence to suggest the Switch's demographic is not price sensitive. PS+ may not seem meaningful to you, but I assure you to less fortunate buyers who have to save up for used PS4/PS5 DE, the fact that they can buy a discounted year for $30 and get 2 to 3 new games every single month (plus a large "Best of PS4" library on PS5)--it is incredibly meaningful. Similar story with Gamepass, where a used Xbone/Series S and $10 gets them a month with 100's of games. Nintendo simply doesn't offer that kind of value, they sell $60 decade old ports that remain $60 til the console and games go out of production. That's a great "value" for shareholders and executives, not so much for someone stretching dollars from service industry wages, welfare/foodstamps, or a kid saving his allowance. I say all that to point out the Switch user base broadly couldn't give a fuck about a $50 hardware price hike, which was the allegation in the post I was responding to, and that it has the highest cost of ownership.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Light sensor continues in the same place as in the standard model (at the bottom bezel)
www.nintendo.co.uk

A vibrant 7-inch OLED screen with vivid colours

With Nintendo Switch – OLED Model, enjoy your favourite games anytime, anywhere, featuring a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen with vivid colours.

If you scroll to the bottom and view the Back view, it says it's the brightness sensor. They probably had to move it since the bezel is thinner.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a glass screen protector when I got my launch day switch, is there one for the oled yet

Deleted member 40293

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 23, 2018
www.nintendo.co.uk

A vibrant 7-inch OLED screen with vivid colours

With Nintendo Switch – OLED Model, enjoy your favourite games anytime, anywhere, featuring a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen with vivid colours.

If you scroll to the bottom and view the Back view, it says it's the brightness sensor. They probably had to move it since the bezel is thinner.

This is really weird. The image bellow (from the thumbnail of a video someone posted above) really deceived me:

sPPtASx.jpg

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
That's not true at all. In any case where there's a more powerful iteration, the general public will always choose to retain their pre-existing consoles. Especially if there's a perception that the iteration isn't providing anything exclusive that they wouldn't already get on their pre-existing console (this is primarily why you see developers aim for a wide net when making games that work for the preceding console with enhancements for the iteration).
The only people that actually convert, are the tech-saavy and enthusiast crowds (obviously a much smaller group than the general public). We've seen this multiple times in the previous generations whether it was 3DS-n3DS, PS4-PS4 Pro or Xbox One-Xbox One X (to a slightly lesser extent given that the poor sales of Xbox One allowed the XOX to position itself stronger, although there's an argument for the initial price being a tough sell as well).

Exactly? Everyone Nintendo sells a current-spec Switch to now is someone they have to try to sell another one to a few years from now. Better to get the good spec out there BEFORE you need to start converting current customers, so you have a built-in install base immediately (generated while demand is still hot) rather than starting from scratch after demand has cooled.

I'm not saying Nintendo should try aggressively to convince people to upgrade. I'm saying the opposite, actually; they should give new buyers from 2022 onward a system they won't need to upgrade in 2024, so those buyers can keep buying software 6-7 years from now.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I can save

Fuck you Dave. I want my 4K (docked) 60 FPS beast.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Good points, but they're points made from a sales perspective. The Switch is showing it's age in terms of performance, and this is becoming more and more problematic as some Nintendo published games can't even maintain 30 FPS at 720p.

Sales points are very valid ones to make when so many of the complaints are not "This isn't for me," but instead "Nintendo is making a stupid decision".

brainchild

Independent Developer
Banned
Nov 25, 2017

As a smartphone enthusiast, his perspective is completely different, but probably more in line with the audience that Nintendo is actually aiming for with the approach they're taking with their product line.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Probably said it already, but I'm going to say it anyways...
I'm not buying another Switch until games can actually run handheld mode at a locked 30 or 60fps and native 720p, and docked at 1440p with 30 or 60fps.

Nov 3, 2017

This is perhaps the most insulting way I`ve ever seen a group of console owners stereotyped, haha. Reminds me of the old "I`m an apple / I`m a PC" commercials. "Carelessly frittered away" is so good, too - I guess your statement would make a good copypasta about gaming hardware enthusiasts down the line?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Probably said it already, but I'm going to say it anyways...
I'm not buying another Switch until games can actually run handheld mode at a locked 30 or 60fps and native 720p, and docked at 1440p with 30 or 60fps.

This pretty much. The Switch is in desperate need of an upgrade regards framerate, especially when you see something like Hyrule Warriors running so poorly for something published and licenced by Nintendo.

If Nintendo games are showing the console's age then it's time to get an upgrade.