• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
How are we to know someone is simply spreading false information intentionally as opposed to just having a bad source or having outdated information or reporting on something that has simply changed? Does that distinction even matter? At the end of the day if people here want to play with "insiders" (and I think most do, this place and the people in it fucking beg for any scrap or morsel of information they can get) then you have to take the good with the bad. If you want to have a blanket "no insders/no teasing" allowed on this site, sure go for it, but I don't think that's what people actually want, at least not outside of the weird anger/backlash to this announcement. People will be angry but in 2 weeks when someone teases something they'll go back to eating it right up because frankly that's what gamers want. They want to be in the know. They want a peek into what is generally a very secretive industry. So if you are going to do that, you take the good with the bad.
I feel like that absolves the 'insiders'/leakers too much. Part of the deal with this game is that the leakers get clout and fame if they're right and if they're wrong or just lying then they get the boot or whatever. Of course plans change but there's plans change and just completely whiffing. Somehow Nintendo insiders in particular are always whiffing.

Last edited:

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like anger and disappointment should be laid primarily at the feet of insiders, not Nintendo. Nintendo never planned to make a big deal out of this model. As a random announcement, with no expectation of a performance boost, I imagine reactions wouldn't be as harsh.
Nintendo is the company releasing old hardware for $50 more. Bloomberg was reporting on a more significant hardware change. They are the financial press. Nintendo is responsible for their own disappointing announcement and hardware revision.

Insiders and the real press fucked up though. You don't get partial credit when breaking news even if the incentive is to publish less than locked down information.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Switch Pro hitting such a fevered pitch really made this announcement worse than it is. What the fuck ever about insiders; they've been all over the place since before the Switch was even announced -- sometimes right, sometimes wrong. Maybe have a little fun with the info but always be skeptical and know that Nintendo does what Nintendo wants.

For me, it stings because it's not even the slightest upgrade for a docked user. They very much cater to the handheld side and I'm looking for something they don't seem to care as much about. I mean shit, even without more power it'd be nice for a somewhat functional online system but in this announcement trailer they're showing the stupid ass voice chat app and I can't help but not how absolutely pathetic it is. But hey, at least Metroid Dread got a nice spot in the ad!

Oct 27, 2017
I had my wallet ready for this, but without any performance upgrade there's no reason for me to buy one. The OLED screen is nice, but what's the point when most of the games will be sub-native and look like shit.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
So how easy is it to get homebrew working on Switch nowadays? Seems like the move would be to hack my OG switch to use for rom dumping to PC, and then pick up one of these new guys to use as my regular Switch

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's definitely weird to me that insiders turn into an oppressed class the second their info turns bad and people are upset. Like, isn't this the deal you make? You're trading rumors for clout on the internet and the gamble is people are gonna be mad if your info is wrong. Just mute people whining or don't make needlessly vague comments about secondhand information—it's just video games

If a big chunk of the information is correct then you gotta assume that plans changed instead of it being false info.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
This thing needs an easy name to reference it on the web.

I hear by name this system the SwOLED.

Thank you and goodnight.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Oddly enough I was playing my launch switch for the first time in awhile a few days ago and I was like the screen is fine as it is. It's colorful enough, I have oleds so I know the difference on what the screen can produce. This seems like a lackluster update, IMO. Also 30 fps games on this OLED screen may(will) do worse than the LCD screen for motion handling.
agreed. the screen quality wasn't something that I needed upgraded. Like, the lowest thing on my list. I'm curious to see how the speakers sound and if they've done any changes at all to the on-board audio chipset.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
How are we to know someone is simply spreading false information intentionally as opposed to just having a bad source or having outdated information or reporting on something that has simply changed? Does that distinction even matter? At the end of the day if people here want to play with "insiders" (and I think most do, this place and the people in it fucking beg for any scrap or morsel of information they can get) then you have to take the good with the bad. If you want to have a blanket "no insders/no teasing" allowed on this site, sure go for it, but I don't think that's what people actually want, at least not outside of the weird anger/backlash to this announcement. People will be angry but in 2 weeks when someone teases something they'll go back to eating it right up because frankly that's what gamers want. They want to be in the know. They want a peek into what is generally a very secretive industry. So if you are going to do that, you take the good with the bad.

Intentional or not I think people wanting to claim insider knowledge should have to put their accounts on the line and just be banned from the forum if the information is not even remotely accurate.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
E5nlUB6XMBMIODZ
LOL. And only one of those systems means "Life."

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how the OLED impacts battery life in handheld. I've been really pleased with it for the revised base model.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of makes me nostalgic. I remember getting burned by the same Nintendo insiders for the Wii U announcement.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but... What's the point of the vetting processes and whatnot if the supposed insiders have no repercussions over spreading wrong information and misleading users? It's an honest and very fair question.
People are verified to see if they are in a position to know such information.

The thing is, shit happens. Information can be old. Things also simply don't pan out. Not one person will have a 100% track record. Ever. Nor do you get insiders that come on to deliberately mislead, and that's the big thing. If anyone even tries that they get caught out and banned.

Names have been mentioned here of credible individuals. Why should they get punished? They've had things right before in the past that displays credibility. They don't deliberately mislead. Reports get corroborated. So if something ends up wrong, so what? Why the repercussion? It's not an all or nothing with insiders.

At the end of the day, people need to stop confirming things in their head when they read reports or things they want to hear. Everything should always be taken with a grain of salt until its confirmed. Regardless of how much smoke there is.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind guys. We are in the middle of a massive chip shortage. Nintendo is probably waiting until things calm down to get with Nvidia to make the next tegra specifically for a switch 2 or whatever. THERE IS GOING TO BE A MORE POWERFUL SWITCH at some point. Hybrid is the way forward and nintendo knows this. Right now though, things are rough making chips and until that calms down it does not make sense to make a new switch that only a handful of people will be able to buy. It is still selling extremely well, most first party games run fine on the thing. It's third party that is kinda an issue but even then there are games that run exceptionally well for how they look e.x. Monster hunter rise.

calm the fuck down, stop blaming insiders, stop whining like spoiled children, stop calling for insiders to be banned, Ect. Just be better. Please.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I feel like that absolvers the 'insiders'/leakers too much. Part of the deal with this game is that the leakers get clout and fame if they're right and if they're wrong or just lying then they get the boot or whatever. Of course plans change but there's plans change and just completely whiffing. Somehow Nintendo insiders in particular are always whiffing.

I mean, it's entirely possible (maybe even probable) that Nintendo do indeed have a "Pro" model in the works still, and what was announced today isn't it.

This model is more of a minor refresh than an upgrade, so it may be integrating some of the changes that will also show up in that later Pro model (such as the OLED screen).

"Insiders" I'm sure rarely get the full picture of a platform's plans - they get pieces from individual perspectives.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Hahaha I don't know why people are mad at the insiders. I've been following all the insider hints and I find them to be interesting and worth listening to, although I never once fell for the Switch Pro hype.

I think instead of a better vetting process for insiders, who are doing thankless work, perhaps we should have a better vetting process for regular users, who are seemingly incapable of critically evaluating the information presented to them.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Wow that's disappointing. The standard hardware is struggling even on first party games and it looks like hell on my LG CX.

my launch switch and lite will have to keep going.

a slight hardware bump to output at a higher res and better fps would have set the switch on fire, even more so then it already is.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Yeah, the longer the trailer went on for the more I felt dissappointed.
I just sold my OG switch and was ready for a "pro" enhanced version. deffo not buying the same thing again just a fraction of an inch bigger

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I'm guess dlss will be in the switch 2. Can't see them releasing a new model next year so 2023 would be too late and close to switch 2

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Nate made this video in response to Digital Foundry who had just put out a video declaring the new Switch was just an OLED-upgrade with no new internals, which contradicted Nate and Bloomberg. In hindsight, Nate probably should've backpedaled more at that point.

Damn. Did this video go under the radar or something? March 8th! We could've been having more grounded discussion about this for months. :P

Also, y'all need to stop with the dramatics about insiders. Seriously. We should have the bandwidth for people getting things wrong. Insiders are imperfect, mix things up, and sometimes miss the sweet spot in terms of clearly delineating between confirmed information, plausible information, and deduced information. Feel free to add some additional grains of salt to the next round of leaks or whatever, but this great need to punish someone because you're disappointed by the lack of DLSS is too much.

Last edited:

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
Era's policies on on "insiders" is quite frankly laughable and stupid, this wouldn't have happened if the site stop giving carte blanch to any clown that call themselves "insiders" even worst, the site gets a bunch of user stanning for these "insiders" and get mad when they are call out on their bullshit.
It is time for ERA to update their policy on "insiders" get your act together.

Totally agree.

Mar 27, 2018
i have the same question. of course i'm against harassing or insulting insiders but it really feel like there should be something done when it turns out someone (knowingly or not) has been misleading people for a long time. it would be ok if it's just some random hint but when there's 500 pages of discussion and speculation on the basis that the insider was correct, it feels like there should be something done to stop this from happening again. not to mention basically every single thread about a switch game announcement getting derailed with switch pro talk.

Just checking in to see if the meltdown is as disproportionate as expected. It's certainly delivering.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that absolvers the 'insiders'/leakers too much. Part of the deal with this game is that the leakers get clout and fame if they're right and if they're wrong or just lying then they get the boot or whatever. Of course plans change but there's plans change and just completely whiffing. Somehow Nintendo insiders in particular are always whiffing.

How much "clout" or "Fame" they get is entirely up to the posters/community here, not the moderation. They get clout or fame because people eat this shit up. Again, how do people want to mods to determine whether an insider is just "lying for clout" as opposed to having a outdated or incorrect source? I mean a bunch of y'all already believe the mods are incapable of vetting so now you want them to do some insider investigation? Again, I ask, do you want Jason Schrier banned? Because he hinted at the Switch pro?

This is 100% in the control of the people here. You are 100% in control of how you react or respond the next time some "insider" rumor springs up. But most of the same people here up in arms are the ones who can't help themselves and will be all in when the next insider rumor hits.

Lengusta

Banned
May 23, 2021
Think I'll be buying it, I've been waiting for a bigger more edge to edge screen. Makes sense for nintendo to not release a pro model yet, it's selling like hotcakes might as well wait until next year.

I'm sure the pro version is still coming.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. I put off getting a Switch for almost a year thinking that a pro model was coming, then I broke down and got one; now I find out it's mild improvements that I don't care about. I can't help but laugh at myself and the hype this generated.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Won't games technically look worse at the same resolution but on a bigger screen? I was hoping for a minor spec bump just enough to get 720p for some games on handheld. :(

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I'm sorry but... What's the point of the vetting processes and whatnot if the supposed insiders have no repercussions over spreading wrong information and misleading users? It's an honest and very fair question.
People make mistakes. I'm not happy about it either but I think directly attacking or trying to jump on the wagon against them is unnecessary.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
i may just jump in on this! i see the specs mention bluetooth... if i could finally connect a pair of bluetooth headphones to the switch, i would be a happy duck!

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All these insiders taking their fake clout and running out the back door now. Y'all played yourselves, this is the most Nintendo shit ever lol.