• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
My point was that it takes time to write N64 emulators, so we won't see that for a while, and GameCube is a pipe dream we'll never see on Switch.
Nah, disagreed. See here: https://youtu.be/UGdHM8AIhvw

GC VC was entirely within the realm of possibility with this architechture. It's absolutely a case of "won't" rather than " can't" with VC on Switch.
I didn't say Switch couldn't possibly emulate GameCube, I said that writing a GameCube emulator from scratch is prohibitively time consuming and expensive. Dolphin took years to get to the stage where it was decent. Even an N64 emulator is incredibly complicated to write, but GameCube, as I said, is a pipe dream.

If this company was Sega, I would suggest that they might use Dolphin themselves - the Dolphin license permits commercial use, as long as they attribute it and make the source code available. But there's no way in hell Nintendo would do that, Nintendo is staunchly anti-emulator and will never promote other people making unauthorized emulators of their products.

Last edited:

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, paying for online on consoles sucks, but we've been doing it for years. Yeah, the NES library has lost it's luster, but added online features is pretty significant.

It's the cheapest online service and some of the folks in here are just being ridiculous with your demands and expectations.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Quite honestly, every time I read this it irritates me more and more. Like, everyone on earth understands this is a principal. It goes without saying. Discussing it in depth is the entire purpose of a forum. If 'don't like it, don't buy it' was a valid response, then that would be the first post on 50% of ERA's threads and it would just be locked by a mod.
Do they though? Cause I honestly couldn't tell by reading some of these ridiculous comments.

Sorry to irritate you, though.

Djawed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cloud saves is all I needed from online stuff. OS feature updates is another subject however

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, paying for online on consoles sucks, but we've been doing it for years. Yeah, the NES library has lost it's luster, but added online features is pretty significant.

It's the cheapest online service and some of the folks in here are just being ridiculous with your demands and expectations.
I know right, I just want to be able to message my friends or people I've played with via the system I'm playing on. Fucking ridiculous.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
20 games from the fucking 1980s.

There's some pretty great games from the 80s. And in another 10 years, the games from the 90s will be just as great as they are now...? StarCraft, Doom, Planescape Torment, the Monkey Island games, Betrayal at Krondor, TIE Fighter, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Dungeon Keeper, Lands of Lore, Quest for Glory, Indiana Jones, and so on.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Really unhappy about the death of the Virtual Console. It was half the reason I got a Switch. Nintendo's losing out on a ton of easy money.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
What the hell happened to the SNES games? I'm good on NES games for life. Was looking forward to SNES titles. Guessing they're going to continue to sell SNES games individually?

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
At least it's.. cheap? Honestly, you really put it into perspective if we consider a more casual/younger audience. The voice chat app won't take off in a million years. It's just such a stupid thing to do.
"it's cheap" is not an escuse .

The value of this service is so poor that i can't help to look at the switch now where i can play ARMS online for free and the in the coming months it'll be the same thing but paid . cheap doesn't matter when it's more than currently

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only person that's strangely excited to play Zelda and Mario 3 online with a friend? The idea of online couch co-op for these classic games seems cool!

Folstern

Jan 30, 2018
The age of the game doesn't have anything to do with saying "free games" though. Quite a few games from the last decade cost a lot less than games from 30 years ago too so I'm not sure what your point is?
No digital version of an NES game is worth more than the retail price of PS+ games. Something isn't given for "free" if it has little to no value.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
So wait, we're getting the fabled "Netflix for Games" for as little as, what, seven cents a week? And people are complaining?
We are?! Wait... Nintendo is opening up their giant library as a service?! Or are you just hoping these 20 initial games + more to come eventually in a few years grows to a few dozen?

Your math is wrong. It's not 7 cents a week.

Also, it's like Netflix, but if it only had a handful of movies and they were all 30+ years old.

lol this... 100% this... it's mind blowing this isn't everyone's immediate reaction.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Same.

Don't like it, don't buy it.

I'd say it's frustration rather than anger. People want to go online with their Switches but they expect a certain basic level of service that this offering simply doesn't provide. That's understandable given that online play has been around for over a decade now and the basic set of features and how said features are accessed are well established. Basically, if you want to go online with your Switch, you have to put up with decisions that actively make doing do more difficult than it is on other devices. Surely a level of frustration is therefore to be expected? Also, the offer of 30+ year old games seems at best naïve and at worst laughable given what you get from other similar services.

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not free, you're paying $20 for them.
Sorry, free* games.

I guess loot boxes > Super Mario Bros. 3

Really unhappy about the death of the Virtual Console. It was half the reason I got a Switch. Nintendo's losing out on a ton of easy money.

The brand is dead, which is quite absurd to complain about since I've never actually understood why it had to be called Virtual Console since Wii times. It's just games sold in a different section of the store.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That functionality does seem cool and has seemingly been lost is all the hubbub. I don't want to play NES games, but I may do so to try this feature.

Yeah! I honestly wouldn't have played these games again (aside from maybe Mario 3) if they were just the normal release. Being able to swap controls with my Nintendo-loving friends who don't live near me will be what brings me back. I hope they can manage to expand that library quickly though.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ok I know this was explained to death, but on PS4, XBO only one ps plus or gold account is needed for everyone to play online.

PS4, cloud saves is only for ps plus subscribers. XBO, gold isn't needed for cloud saves.

So cloud saves could be where Nintendo looks good because of the family plan.

The only issue is the PS4 and Xbox One offer you a way to copy your saves for free (USB stick).

With Nintendo there's NO way to back up your saves unless you pay. That is insane.

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine Netflix only having 20 movies from the 1980s available for instant watch, lmao. Keep up the mental gymnastics y'all they are cute.
You think licensing is easy stuff? Or keeping emulators in sync through wifi?

I think they're just working on making multiplayer possible on more platforms and making sure it just works. They've already put in some games that aren't even on the Mini NES.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many SNES games actually hold up. Offering NES games is a joke at this point. Nintendo massively overate their own legacy.
They do not, they're just pandering to the masses. The average Switch owner will be all to happy to spend $20 a year for a steady supply of "free" 8 bit games that they grew up on. It's like an NES Classic subscription service. Why wouldn't they want to subscribe to it?

Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing.

Lugalbanda

Apr 26, 2018
Mira
If this is going to work it's way up nintendo consoles starting with the NES games, and I didn't really want to play anything before N64, I have to wait for an indeterminate amount of time to play anything from the N64, while I pay for online? That doesn't really sound like a good deal to me.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix would be way better if it was just $5 a year, and only had Look Who's Talking, Weekend at Bernie's, and Suburban Commando. A man can dream...

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They do not, they're just pandering to the masses. The average Switch owner will be all to happy to spend $20 a year for a steady supply of "free" 8 bit games that they grew up on. It's like an NES Classic subscription service. Why wouldn't they want to subscribe to it?

Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing.
Do they?

I'm in their target audience, 25-35 male and I have nostalgia to play old SNES game...not so much NES. I'd say most feel the same