• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Look at how low the dpad is on the 3DS. That's very close to the bottom. I don't recall that being a big issue for people. And the design has the left stick very close to the top already on the joycon.
What if you kept the stick to button distance as they are in the actual joycons but shift them toward the center?

I'm convinced there are better alternatives.

Shift the left stick+buttons down one inch. Shift the right stick+buttons up one inch. That would basically be the symmetry I'm desiring.
This? Still seems unusable to me. The right stick is down as far as I'd go in real life, this seems way far down.

wtf-no-v2.png

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Went to Best Buy to pick up either Skyrim or LA Noire, but they were sold out. Target across the street was sold out of both too

I'm using this anecdotal evidence to conclude Nintendo's third party issues have been cured

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
My fiancée and I tried out the Snipperclips demo and really dug it. How long is the full game? Is it worth the $20?

And are there any other co-op games out there on the Switch? She really enjoys being able to work together in a game as opposed to competing against each other.

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
My fiancée and I tried out the Snipperclips demo and really dug it. How long is the full game? Is it worth the $20?

And are there any other co-op games out there on the Switch? She really enjoys being able to work together in a game as opposed to competing against each other.
It's worth the price, and the new Plus DLC is supposed to be good too (adds 30 levels).

As for other co-op games, check out Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. It's a cooperative and cutesy shooter.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Look at how low the dpad is on the 3DS. That's very close to the bottom. I don't recall that being a big issue for people.
No shit, because the 3DS is significantly shorter than a Joycon. The XL has the buttons and sticks up top for better balance and comfort.
What if you kept the stick to button distance as they are in the actual joycons but shift them toward the center?
That does nothing to fix the main issue (the closeness between the stick and buttons) while making it more cumbersome to hold while using the shoulder buttons in 1 player mode.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
No shit, because the 3DS is significantly shorter than a Joycon. The XL has the buttons and sticks up top for better balance and comfort.

That does nothing to fix the main issue (the closeness between the stick and buttons) while making it more cumbersome to hold while using the shoulder buttons in 1 player mode.

The main issue isn't the closeness of the stick and buttons. It's that the current set up means has a huge unused chunk on the right of the left joycon and a huge unused chunk on the left of the right joycon, it's weird and unattractive, and certainly not comfortable, for the base controllers that are meant to be used in that manner in multiplayer settings.

But I see what you're saying. Your issue is that the right joystick, in conjunction with the top right shoulder button, needs to be in comfortable reaching distance. Apparently, from what you're all telling me, that means the right stick needs to be in the center of the controller. (But then shouldn't the left joycon 'dpad' be an issue for you if you're also using the shoulder button?).
That's a shame. If they could settle on making joycons universal in design, they wouldn't need to be left and right, they could be sold individually, and you wouldn't have asymmetry. In any case, there are enough accessories, sold separately junk, that this could have been sorted out more gracefully.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Just bought one this past Sunday.

I fucking LOVE Mario Odyssey. Everything is goddam endearing and control-wise, everything is a delight to play. I can't help but just look around and interact with everything. Can't remember the last time something felt this nice to play.

I also picked up Splatoon 2. Only played a couple of rounds, though. I like Mario Odyssey so much I don't think I'll be messing around with another game for a while.

Question: That said, Im also interested in up Puyo Puyo Tetris, as well. Is it good value? Good enough to play casually/semi-passively as I catch up on my podcast backlog?

Last edited:

CosmicGinger

Oct 25, 2017

I fucking LOVE Mario Odyssey. Everything is goddam endearing and control-wise, everything is a delight to play. I can't help but just look around and interact with everything. Can't remember the last time something felt this nice to play.

I also picked up Splatoon 2. Only played a couple of rounds, though. I like Mario Odyssey so much I don't think I'll be messing around with another game for a while.

Question: That said,Im also interested in up Puyo Puyo Tetris, as well. Is it good value? Have enough content for me to play casually as I catch up on my podcast backlog?

Puyo is awesome. Definitely one of my favorite wind down before bed or play while I'm listening to music/podcasts game.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Question: That said, Im also interested in up Puyo Puyo Tetris, as well. Is it good value? Good enough to play casually/semi-passively as I catch up on my podcast backlog?

There is a meaty demo on the eshop if you want to try it ;)

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada

Puyo is one of my favourite Switch games, and is great with friends or alone. Definitely a good fit for podcast listening.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Puyo is awesome. Definitely one of my favorite wind down before bed or play while I'm listening to music/podcasts game.

There is a meaty demo on the eshop if you want to try it ;)

Puyo is one of my favourite Switch games, and is great with friends or alone. Definitely a good fit for podcast listening.

Thanks guys! Didn't even know about the demo, thanks for the tip. I'll check out the demo later tomorrow.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
The main issue isn't the closeness of the stick and buttons. It's that the current set up means has a huge unused chunk on the right of the left joycon and a huge unused chunk on the left of the right joycon, it's weird and unattractive, and certainly not comfortable, for the base controllers that are meant to be used in that manner in multiplayer settings.

But I see what you're saying. Your issue is that the right joystick, in conjunction with the top right shoulder button, needs to be in comfortable reaching distance. Apparently, from what you're all telling me, that means the right stick needs to be in the center of the controller. (But then shouldn't the left joycon 'dpad' be an issue for you if you're also using the shoulder button?).
That's a shame. If they could settle on making joycons universal in design, they wouldn't need to be left and right, they could be sold individually, and you wouldn't have asymmetry. In any case, there are enough accessories, sold separately junk, that this could have been sorted out more gracefully.
It's a pretty big issue, the inputs are so close together that your thumbs start bumping against each other unless you're being careful or have very small hands. And yes, I do find the left buttons to be awkward, thankfully they're only used for basic commands and menu selection in most games I've played so far. I'd buy an inverted left Joycon with a proper D-pad in a heartbeat for 2D games.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

Overcooked! is THE co-op experience on the Switch in my opinion. I think its $20, worth every penny. My wife did the whole thing in about 15 hours, we had a great time.

Mario Odyssey also is great in co-op. Death Squared is another one, we only played it a few times... it didn't catch us like Overcooked. My wife and I played about 4/5 of the worlds in Snipperclips, we tried to like it, but didn't. Overcooked is so much better for the same price. Snipperclips just got a big update and now its $30, so maybe they added in more stuff and improved it.

No brainer Switch purchase. Play the demo, if you like it a little bit, you'll love the full thing. Also I would recommend: Tumblestone if you need a harder/more thinking puzzle game. It's on sale on the eShop right now. My wife loves it, it hurts my brain though. It's tough. Reminds me of Chess, you NEED to think moves ahead or you'll fail. It also has a great multiplayer up to 4-player battle mode in there too. The story is MEATY. I, I mean my wife, hasn't finished it yet, but it definitely has more than Puyo, and it's harder.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
New Switch owners: out of all the accessories I HIGHLY recommend Joycon Rubber Grips the most: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKZXQ5S/?tag=era0f0-20

I don't think I own this exact set, but anything like them will do. It makes SUCH a big difference, I never take them off and find playing without them uncomfortable in handheld mode. That extra girth and the rubber on the outside makes it from slipping in your hands.

Really recommend them a lot. They nice on the system too IMO, makes it more all-black one color.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Really loving portable Skyrim. 30 fps stable, good looking game all things considered (2011 era designs and jank and Switch cutbacks etc). Really a technical achievement and marvel.

I feel like it's going to be the system seller no one sees coming with everyone focused on SMO.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really loving portable Skyrim. 30 fps stable, good looking game all things considered (2011 era designs and jank and Switch cutbacks etc). Really a technical achievement and marvel.

I feel like it's going to be the system seller no one sees coming with everyone focused on SMO.

Even for me as someone who got it on PS4 I'm really intrested in it.
Hopefully it sells well espically because it seems like a good port.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
What about the Rime Switch port? I do not see anyone talking about it, I just checked the E-Shop and it is already available to purchase.

Any impression?

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got mine but Mario didn't arrive, I mostly fooled around with it making my Mii and downloading some demos.

I thought it'd be completely quiet but I could hear the fan in handheld mode, also in handheld mode I felt it got a little hot, is this normal? Just warm, nothing bad but I mean I was editing my mii, not playing Zelda on it.

On another note I was very disappointed with the packaging, no manual, things weren't wrapped up as nice as other Nintendo hardware, normally they do a very good job there but here it felt like doing the bare minimum, makes it feel like it's not a premium product.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about the Rime Switch port? I do not see anyone talking about it, I just checked the E-Shop and it is already available to purchase.

Any impression?

Looks kinda ugly compared to every other version out there. In those there are shadows, grass moves with the wind, looks real nice. Not so on Switch from what I've seen. Plus terrible frame rate. They claim they will patch to help with performance, but i'm assuming nothing will change with the graphics. I cancelled my preorder last minute. Will get it on PC or PS4 on a Black Friday deal instead.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Just got mine but Mario didn't arrive, I mostly fooled around with it making my Mii and downloading some demos.

I thought it'd be completely quiet but I could hear the fan in handheld mode, also in handheld mode I felt it got a little hot, is this normal? Just warm, nothing bad but I mean I was editing my mii, not playing Zelda on it.

On another note I was very disappointed with the packaging, no manual, things weren't wrapped up as nice as other Nintendo hardware, normally they do a very good job there but here it felt like doing the bare minimum, makes it feel like it's not a premium product.

So you weren't playing any game(s) at all (just editing your Mii) with audible fan noise in handheld mode? Hmm. I'm pretty sensitive to console noise (call it an OCD; always irritated by how noisy my PS4/Pro is) and I can't say I've audibly heard the fans going on in handheld mode (even whilst playing BotW). Now docked mode on the other hand...yeah, can definitely hear the fans going on then.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even for me as someone who got it on PS4 I'm really intrested in it.
Hopefully it sells well espically because it seems like a good port.

I think it depends on how much you played the PS4 version but as someone who spent a combined total of probably 80ish hours between ps3/pc/ps4, the Switch version has been totally worth it since there's a lot I still haven't done and the portable aspect is just awesome. There's just something about booting the game up and playing it on my lunch break at work that can't really be put into words.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Looking forward to Switch in 2018 and especially the third party announcements for the thing. 2017 ended on a high note in that last regard with Skyrim, Doom, L.A. Noire, Rocket League, and Stardew Valley but I feel some of them rushed to get their games in before the holiday window closed and the port quality of their games suffered as a result, so I'm expecting smoother ports next year.

Oct 31, 2017
UK
So I'm about to buy myself a Switch this week, I'm going to get Zelda BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 with it. What over games do you recommend?. Is Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle a must have?

Thanks.

addyb

Oct 27, 2017
I was meant to continue with la Noire last night but Rive and then Rocket league dominated my night.

Oct 28, 2017
Best (relatively cheap) controller?

Having just recently purchased Mario Kart 8 deluxe I'll no doubt need a new controller so I can do four player split screen around Christmas time. I've already got the wheels for the two Joycons and a Pro controller (which I refuse to buy another of because they're so god damned expensive!) but I need one more.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on how much you played the PS4 version but as someone who spent a combined total of probably 80ish hours between ps3/pc/ps4, the Switch version has been totally worth it since there's a lot I still haven't done and the portable aspect is just awesome. There's just something about booting the game up and playing it on my lunch break at work that can't really be put into words.

I played maybe 30 hours or so, so a bit but I fell off and haven't gone back to it.
So yeah I guess my only worry is if I got the switch version I would just play it for a bit and then stop.
I feel like having a portable skyrim might be what would help me play a lot more of tge game though.

So I'm about to buy myself a Switch this week, I'm going to get Zelda BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 with it. What over games do you recommend?. Is Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle a must have?

Thanks.

Well my favorote Switch game is Splatoon 2 so I would say that's a must have.
Otherwise I think Rabbids is great, for indie ones steamworld dig 2 , golf story and stardew valley are all a lot of fun.
If you like puzzle games puyo puyo tetris and picross are awesome.

Nov 14, 2017
Do we think anything good will be on sale on the eShop for Black Friday? I'm hoping to pick up Golf Story, Stardew Valley, BOTW and Mario + Rabbids but don't want to buy them full price so close to Black Friday.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I bought Rayman Legends, the idea of having that masterpiece portable was too strong, and now they apparently fixed its technical problems. I am now at 15 retail games + 3 digital. Never bought this many games for a console at its first year, and if the trend continues, it'll become easily my biggest collection so far. Might actually be able to break 100 someday, considering the support down the line will be overwhelming.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Today only Toys R Us is having a Buy One Get One 50 percent off sale on video games. It includes Switch titles.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Ok wow. I had my old PS3 wireless stereo headset, laying in a closet. The first model, coming with the USB dongle, which was pass date since new headset comes with bluetooth. Decide for fun to try it with my Switch.., and its fuckin working! Woohoo, Doom now sound more incredible!

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

NicasDream

Oct 30, 2017
How does co-op work on switch?

is there a limit of joy con or pro controls that I can use?
And do both controls have the same function?

because I remember on the wii u there were a whole bunch
of different controls