• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very surprised, aren't there inclusion groups at Nintendo aimed at going against these kinds of actions? Reggie got a card from them on his Twitter. Seeing as how there are many other Trans Rights stages still online, I'm hoping this was a mistake.

If not, then this is a big issue.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Very surprised, aren't there inclusion groups at Nintendo aimed at going against these kinds of actions? Reggie got a card from them on his Twitter. Seeing as how there are many other Trans Rights stages still online, I'm hoping this was a mistake.

If not, then this is a big issue.
I'm leaning towards trolls and a bad mod, but Nintendo still should come out and make a statement condemning transphobia.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
U actually think this may have been through trolls reporting that particular Stage. There are many many other stages with the same theme and the support personnel contacted the creator telling them to message corporate.

I guess that's enough evidence to suggest that something went wrong somewhere? Maybe.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Remember kids, supporting human rights is POLITICAL, and therefore inappropriate for Nintendo games.

The radical and controversial view that trans people are people must be silenced!

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this all is the fault of an incompetent moderator, and does not happen ever again. Otherwise, we have a seriously problem here, and we must fight against it.

All my support for this user. And all my support to all those who have created similar stages in order to protest.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb as shit if it means stages like "Mario Pissing" and "Climax" didn't get worse treatment.

Splendy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the fact that the vast majority of stages with trans flags are still up, including ones from the person who got temp banned for this one, indicates it isn't a service wide policy, which is good taking these stages down would be genuinely awful.
Hopefully the version of reality where it was a dumb call by a bad mod bares itself out, but its unfortunate that any media that simply claims that a group of people exists would be political but when you have a system that relies on people reporting content assholes are gonna use it for their own shitty ends. I don't expect a statement tbh but it certainly couldn't hurt to confirm that this banning isn't an indicator of bigger things.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the fact that the vast majority of stages with trans flags are still up, including ones from the person who got temp banned for this one, indicates it isn't a service wide policy, which is good taking these stages down would be genuinely awful.
Hopefully the version of reality where it was a dumb call by a bad mod bares itself out, but its unfortunate that any media that simply claims that a group of people exists would be political but when you have a system that relies on people reporting content assholes are gonna use it for their own shitty ends. I don't expect a statement tbh but it certainly couldn't hurt to confirm that this banning isn't an indicator of bigger things.
I'm hopeful that it is too. Trans people being 'political' just feeds into that fucking stupid alt-right narrative.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
and yet there are dozens of pepe/conservative meme stages, including at least one swastika

yikes.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I just think it's odd how apparently having lots of stages that feature trans flags is not example or reason to praise Nintendo, but having 1 singular situation wrongly banned is a reason for people to say fuck Nintendo.

If a restaurant throws a black person out for being black, it's not that surprising that people wouldn't be going "yeah but just look at all the black folks they didn't throw out!"

Nobody gets a cookie for not being a dick to trans people. That's just being decent.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
So according to Nintendo, Trans rights are as bad as the Holocaust.

Now thats a nonsensical take if ive ever seen one.

Jwalking and murder are both illegal but no one would suggest they are equally as bad.

Of course the stage never should have been removed at all, but judging by all the other trans rights stages that have gone untouched im gonna say this was one guys mistake and something we can let Nintendo as a company respond to and walk back this decesion.

Oct 27, 2017
If a restaurant throws a black person out for being black, it's not that surprising that people wouldn't be going "yeah but just look at all the black folks they didn't throw out!"

Nobody gets a cookie for not being a dick to trans people. That's just being decent.
I get what you're saying here. Coming from someone who has worked similar customer service jobs, the amount of customer interactions per day for a large company is almost unfathomable to the average person. Someone is almost assuredly going to act against the companies wishes and not get caught. That doesn't excuse the behavior to the slightest.

But I just think that large companies overall "morality" or however you want to phrase it needs to be judged on trends and not isolated situations involving likely 1 person and then customer service who doesn't have the authority to override anything. Judge the person who made the decision sure.

In your example, it's unlikely such a thing could happen without a manager or someone on duty to witness such a thing. So, yes, if it happens if would be fair to judge that restaurant pretty much right away. It's borderline impossible to perform quality assurance on every customer interaction like we are talking about here. It would take a separate person 8 hours to review 8 hours of calls for example and that's why call centers may only QA 5 or so calls out of 1000 per month. I know we aren't talking about calls specifically, I'm just giving you an example from a previous job I had in a similar industry. This is something I know a lot about.
Again, it doesn't excuse it at all. But context has to be considered and it can take a while for these cases to find their way up the chain to correct these types of situations. That's all I'm trying to say.

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
I don't want to "cancel" Nintendo over something that could be an oversight but the alt right rhetoric of this is just yikes.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Now thats a nonsensical take if ive ever seen one.

Jwalking and murder are both illegal but no one would suggest they are equally as bad.

Of course the stage never should have been removed at all, but judging by all the other trans rights stages that have gone untouched im gonna say this was one guys mistake and something we can let Nintendo as a company respond to and walk back this decesion.
How do you recover from a statement so ridiculous that basically says trans rights are "too political" to be included in your video game?

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
How do you recover from a statement so ridiculous that basically says trans rights are "too political" to be included in your video game?

By stating the guy/automatic system that removed the stage was wrong and the initial implication made for its reason of being removed does not reflect the views of the company.

Most people can understand when your trying to curate something like smash builder mistakes will be made. Assuming Nintendo does come back with an apology/explanation and undo the moderation I see no real reason to rake them over the coals for something like this.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably an over zealous moderator.
Lots of similar stages remained untouched.
This. I don't know what we're up in arms about at this point. One stage was removed but there's still tons of others sporting the trans flag. It looks like this was an isolated incident and there's no purge going on. Like when it first happened there was something of note but then the rest of the stages remain untouched and that was it. We shouldn't miss the forest from the trees.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. I don't know what we're up in arms about at this point. One stage was removed but there's still tons of others sporting the trans flag. It looks like this was an isolated incident and there's no purge going on. Like when it first happened there was something of note but when the rest of the stages remain untouched and that was the jist of it. We shouldn't miss the forest from the trees.
well said. while i think the one takedown shouldn't have happened and it shows that there's at least one moderator with either poor judgement or bad values, i don't get why people are acting like this is a campaign from nintendo to take down all trans related content when there's a ton of stages in smash in this very moment, not to mention those messages existing in splatoon without any issues.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding transphobia, trolling and antagonising a serious topic.
Grab the pitchforks guys! It's time to rake Nintendo over the coals. Anyone have any tar and feathers?

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
This. I don't even know what we're up in arms about at this point. One stage was removed but there's still tons of others sporting the trans flag. This was an isolated incident, there's no purge going on. I think we're missing the forest from the trees.
well said. while i think the one takedown shouldn't have happened and it shows that there's at least one moderator with either poor judgement or bad values, i don't get why people are acting like this is a campaign from nintendo to take down all trans related content when there's a ton of stages in smash in this very moment, not to mention those messages existing in splatoon without any issues.

You really don't get why ?
;)

Oct 25, 2017
Some people: wow this seems shitty, hope it's not a pattern

Other people: WHOA MAN here comes the —mob—. Get me my pitchfork yuk yuk eeyuk

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Are smash stages released worldwide? That's the only thing I can think of. If it's regions based it does not make any sense.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo I love you.. but geez. This is below low tier shit.

How are these stages monitored? Some algorithm or?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I thought Stage Builder's purpose was to create nice arenas for battles.

Guess I wasn't imagining every "type" of battle it could be about.

MrBreada

Mar 13, 2018
But let me ask this, though. Why would Nintendo go out of their way to listen to fans and remove a racist depiction of Native Americans (in spite of being apolitical), but then remove this stage? The answer, to me, is false reporting. Clearly, this isn't a unanimously agreed-upon thing, not at Nintendo. I'm calling it a mistake.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I think this might be a case where moderation just got out of their hands and the thing got mass reported to oblivion.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo I love you.. but geez. This is below low tier shit.

How are these stages monitored? Some algorithm or?
As far as we can tell it seems it was just the one stage that was removed while there are still dozens of other stages sporting the trans flag still intact. If you still think this is "below low tier shit" I think we've lost track of our footing.

Probably just some overly eager/shitty moderator who jumped the gun but still, like I said, other similar stages remain untouched so let's not condemn an entire company with thousands of employees just yet.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Have Nintendo said anything? If not a simple statement saying their mod fucked up and they apologise would go a long way to making the LGBT community feel welcome.