• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/AiLoveAidoru/status/1780760446217150768

Parasocial relationships are weird.

This is weird right? Like this interaction specifically? This feels too public? Idk how to put it. Maybe i'm reading something that isn't there.

Specifically the reply, it just feels off. I woulda said things were seeming genuine until this.
"We do not want to be associated with each other."

He proceeds to quote tweet her to bring attention to her.

Also, the stuff with Lawley. He says he didn't groom her and was surprised when she admitted sexual feelings towards him. I don't know, maybe because he groomed a young impressionable teen through puberty? Might not have been intentionally, but "playing" like that will cause things.

Mar 11, 2020
"We do not want to be associated with each other."

He proceeds to quote tweet her to bring attention to her.

Also, the stuff with Lawley. He says he didn't groom her and was surprised when she admitted sexual feelings towards him. I don't know, maybe because he groomed a young impressionable teen through puberty? Might not have been intentionally, but "playing" like that will cause things.
Yeah exactly, ok it's not just me that was seeing that was really a weird thing to do.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Him quote-tweeting Masae's statement is just the last thing he should've done. She said she didn't want anything to do with him. Leave her alone.

Really off putting

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
People will say "he told people not to harass anybody involved so there's nothing more he can really do to stop his fans from harassing these people". But I mean even if does own up a bit to what he did and claim that he's working to be better, he still spent a good portion of his "apology" going "well, actually this creepy thing I said is a bit out of context" or "um I'm autistic, so it's not my fault I didn't understand social cues that weren't made clear to me" or "we resolved this publicly and now I feel betrayed because she came out with this publicly after saying she wouldn't" or "I've had a really rough time going through my own issues". When you try to discredit these people in any way or try to make yourself out to be the better person or the one who is really suffering, it's going to encourage harassment. Like being like "it's pretty fucked up that she came out with this publicly when she said she wouldn't but despite how rough things have been for me, I'm still going to be the better person and tell people not to harass her" is the exact kind of thing that's going to make people harass her. Like even if certain stuff is out of context or you didn't pick up on social cues because you're autistic or you feel betrayed because she came out with this publicly when she said she wouldn't, you don't really need to mention all those things if you're trying to own up to what you did. I understand that it sucks feeling like people are going to judge you without having the full context but sometimes you just gotta own up to what you did wrong and move the fuck on. If you want people leaving the others involved alone, don't try discrediting or downplaying anything they say and don't fucking respond to them publicly in a way that's going to direct attention their way.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Like even if certain stuff is out of context or you didn't pick up on social cues because you're autistic or you feel betrayed because she came out with this publicly when she said she wouldn't, you don't really need to mention all those things if you're trying to own up to what you did. I understand that it sucks feeling like people are going to judge you without having the full context but sometimes you just gotta own up to what you did wrong and move the fuck on. If you want people leaving the others involved alone, don't try discrediting or downplaying anything they say and don't fucking respond to them publicly in a way that's going to direct attention their way.
Spot on. That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't understand the point of providing more context besides making himself look not as bad because he's upset things were omitted. Like you said, it's understandable but if you're trying to take responsibility and want the focus to be on that, leave that shit out, apologize, and move on.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
GLTtD0wXwAA9eUr

He never had a talk with Emily about it anyways. "Communicated privately" was a third party. His apology was a game of telephone, and it being a "friend" to tell her doesn't "contradict" it.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like social cues are still a struggle for him. Not much change shown from that alone, in my opinion.

Speaking as someone with mild autism: the social cue part isn't something you just fix, it's something you have to work on consistently like a skill. And I think it's quite obvious that Chugga is very early on that growth journey - IIRC he's basically acknowledged that himself.

So if he's legit about taking that seriously dude needs to log off and go back to that self-healing isolation before he puts his foot in his mouth again.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
Seems like social cues are still a struggle for him. Not much change shown from that alone, in my opinion.
it will always be a struggle. but right now he needs to get off the damn internet cause he's just inviting more harassment. it doesn't really matter how many times he asks not to do it, if you keep picking a wound it never heals

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as someone with mild autism: the social cue part isn't something you just fix, it's something you have to work on consistently like a skill. And I think it's quite obvious that Chugga is very early on that growth journey - IIRC he's basically acknowledged that himself.

So if he's legit about taking that seriously dude needs to log off and go back to that self-healing isolation before he puts his foot in his mouth again.
it will always be a struggle. but right now he needs to get off the damn internet cause he's just inviting more harassment. it doesn't really matter how many times he asks not to do it, if you keep picking a wound it never heals

Thanks for the responses. Speaking as someone who also has autism, that should have been clearer to me.

Agreed though, quote retweeting after wanting to go separate ways isn't going to help.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He really should have just posted the statement he had to add, emphasize to leave people involved alone (which he has done in a few ways) and gone back to being quiet so he can continue to address what all of this has brought for him. He's missing the social cues here of what "signal boosting" is and how that can have detrimental effects as this will do the opposite of what he's asked. If through therapy he was told to share this statement, it's time to put his head down and continue the therapy. Being online like this will not help him. He's said nothing productive today by talking about this in any manner.

He will make this worse if he plays a social media game of back and forth responses to Emily, who is the core person upset by him, has a right to be upset by him, and the only person who matters with what he's done.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

There's no fixing autism. Social cues will always be something that's difficult

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing is bleh, and I've muted most of it on Twitter (because I do follow some Xenoblade stuff, and this always gets brought up in conjunction).

But I just want to say, the wording on his last tweet to his former fiancée is so scummy. "I hope you succeed and come back from this"

Come back from WHAT? Besmirching his good name?? She didn't do ANYTHING except say "some of you are asking about him—I don't want to talk about him, we're not associated anymore".

WHAT did she do that she needs to "come back" from??

😒

Feb 10, 2024

Here's Emile's response.

View: https://twitter.com/chuggaaconroy/status/1780947209757851970

I read both and the main discrepancy is with the wording of his original statement. Saying they had no contact in the original statement while they exchanged a handful of messages between 2010-2021 is painting the picture with too broad of stroke. Ultimately it doesn't change anything though, like he said the intention was to distance himself from her teenage romantic advances after receiving the inappropriate shirt. Being active friends to sending occasional pleasantries every couple years is distancing.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Here's Emile's response.

I read both and the main discrepancy is with the wording of his original statement. Saying they had no contact in the original statement while they exchanged a handful of messages between 2010-2021 is painting the picture with too broad of stroke. Ultimately it doesn't change anything though, like he said the intention was to distance himself from her teenage romantic advances after receiving the inappropriate shirt. Being active friends to sending occasional pleasantries every couple years is distancing.

This is some heavy white washing. Both from your post and Emile.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
quote-tweeting your ex's statement where she says she wants to be left alone and doesn't want anything to do with you moving forward with what amounts to a "you go, girl!" is certainly a choice

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Can't say Emile's statements change much for me. Hope he keeps working on himself, but the vibes are way off on these latest updates

GreenKing1979

Aug 1, 2020
Reading all of Emile's responses and one thing is clear to me, he won't change, he is just sorry he got caught creeping on one of his fans.

I find his repose to Masae to be very passive aggressive.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
This whole thing is bleh, and I've muted most of it on Twitter (because I do follow some Xenoblade stuff, and this always gets brought up in conjunction).

But I just want to say, the wording on his last tweet to his former fiancée is so scummy. "I hope you succeed and come back from this"

Come back from WHAT? Besmirching his good name?? She didn't do ANYTHING except say "some of you are asking about him—I don't want to talk about him, we're not associated anymore".

WHAT did she do that she needs to "come back" from??

😒
I think he means come back from getting harassed by internet weirdos. Don't have to look that deep.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Here's Emile's response.

I feel like you're trying to argue semantics when he was quite specific until called out. He said they had no contact until they met at a convention when she walked up to him unprompted 10 years after the cut off. Lawly said they had a planned meet-up at a convention in 2016, and she didn't attend any during 2020-2022. There is also the discord dm's starting from 2017.

There's also the discrepancy that he outright said she was trying to manipulate him into having sex with her, along with multiple others, when she says this was her being honest with her feelings about society's pressure on woman's value being linked to their youth.

Or that he chose to say "sexually explicit gift," making it easy to infer something more than a cringy shirt. Like we see him mention the shirt in the discord snapshot he provided, why be vague on what the "sexually explicit gift" was.

Or that when they "rekindled" the friendship in 2021, it was a mutual understanding that she was the one that wanted him and he rejected, and then doesn't mention at all his current(at the time) feelings towards her, and while she was appreciative, didn't want that type of relationship.

For someone who made a big deal about his statement being very detailed in an effort for transparency, there's a lot of aspects that are absent, oddly murky, or in the case of them meeting at a convention and the start of the discord conversations, outright contradictory.

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Feb 10, 2024

View: https://twitter.com/AGramuglia/status/1780951961916899331
Dude really just needed to lay low and log off. This second wave could have easily been avoided.
Like do we need a video essay series on what happens when you become the Internet's main character of the day? Like what and how people commonly react, think, and feel and how to actually process it all?

I mean I think Emile has a right to defend himself, especially when his livelihood, reputation, and personal relationships are all on the line. He can't control the actions of terrible people and he's done all he's can by prioritizing the denouncing of harassment at every turn.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/AGramuglia/status/1780951961916899331
Dude really just needed to lay low and log off. This second wave could have easily been avoided.
Like do we need a video essay series on what happens when you become the Internet's main character of the day? Like what and how people commonly react, think, and feel and how to actually process it all?

You can't control the actions of other people and people shouldn't need to keep things to themselves just because some folks can't act right. This pretty much means that past a certain level of popularity you lose any chance to answer or defend yourself against others.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I mean I think Emile has a right to defend himself, especially when his livelihood, reputation, and personal relationships are all on the line. He can't control the actions of terrible people and he's done all he's can by prioritizing the denouncing of harassment at every turn.

You can't control the actions of other people and people shouldn't need to keep things to themselves just because some folks can't act right. This pretty much means that past a certain level of popularity you lose any chance to answer or defend yourself against others.

People do have the right to defend themselves and tell their side of events, but there is a fine line between that and "well I'm actually the real victim when you think about it" and Emile's newer statements have unfortunately blurred those lines.

Rexskel

Aug 27, 2021
Geez Emile should've really just stopped talking on Twitter, he is not doing himself any favors at all. But I guess he doesn't understand that clearly.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Geez Emile should've really just stopped talking on Twitter, he is not doing himself any favors at all. But I guess he doesn't understand that clearly.
It doesn't matter, his fan base has already rallied behind him again. They're telling Lawley to stop responding so he can get the last word in and be right.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Someone on Reddit compiled a google docs of Chuggaa and Emily's chatlogs, and put them in order.

Emily herself is in the comments of that post, too.

I'm reading through the doc now and I hadn't caught some of the stuff he said in his defense before.

"I've made jokes about feet and bought shoes for most of my friends", like. Dude. If you know you have a fetish why are you letting that get anywhere near your friendships? You can't see how that might twist those interactions and gifts?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a totally fair assessment that regardless of your intentions you can still cause harm, such as continuing to drag this issues into public view when the other people involved want it to be over. I don't know if Chuggaaconroy is acting out of ill intent or his acknowledged difficulty understanding boundaries, but he should probably shut up about other people now. If he wants to talk, he's better off focusing on how he's trying to improve.

I'm reading through the doc now and I hadn't caught some of the stuff he said in his defense before.

"I've made jokes about feet and bought shoes for most of my friends", like. Dude. If you know you have a fetish why are you letting that get anywhere near your friendships? You can't see how that might twist those interactions and gifts?
Was that part of his earlier defense or his most recent statement? In his most recent statement he said that he thought he could separate his interest in feet from his fetish, and has only since realized that he can't.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Emily herself is in the comments of that post, too.
I looked for Emily's responses. I think this is important:

I have no idea tbh. I keep going back and forth on it. Right now I'm just trying to lay low. I deleted Twitter off my phone and am trying to stay offline as much as possible because it's just… it's just been a lot if I'm quite honest. And I don't know what else I can say beyond what's already clear, and quite frankly I'm tired and I'm afraid of anything else happening to me and my family. The only thing tempting me into making a response is the weird false accusations that I doxxed people, because not only is that demonstrably untrue, but considering I was actually doxxed and all my personal information was actually placed online, I find it incredibly insulting to have it turned on me. But more than anything, I just want this to be over.

So we probably shouldn't ask for or expect any further replies from her.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I looked for Emily's responses. I think this is important:

So we probably shouldn't ask for or expect any further replies from her.
She also knows that his fans won't change their opinion.

You're 100% right. That's something I've had to internalize these late few months. The people who dislike me will always dislike me and there's no arguing or evidence that can change that and that's just how it is. Best I can do is just try to be safe and do what good I can going forward