• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe you can't message people on your friends list or invite someone to your lobby in any multiplayer game. The most simple things and its not there.

This x100. What's the point of a friendlist anyways when the friend functions are so limited.

I can live without voice chat integrated, but having a friendlist that's just decoration most of the time is mind boggling.

Something as simple as creating a whats-app like chat rooms between groups of friends so you can pop in and send a message to a predefined list of friends that gaming time is going to be at X time for X game. Would be wonderful. It could be limited in function to attaching in-game screens and short 130 char messages only, if they are worried about pedos.

Oct 27, 2017
What? Is this post a joke? They DONT CARE! They had some features apparently on the WiiU and removed them! Stop being disingenuous with your reply and lookup the meaning of incompetence...
They're not competent enough to care. They're incompetent. They're out of their depth. They're oblivious. They're the absolute worst when it comes to anything online related. Pure unadulterated incompetence.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
They're not competent enough to care. They're incompetent. They're out of their depth. They're oblivious. They're the absolute worst when it comes to anything online related. Pure unadulterated incompetence.

No I don't think its incompetence, it's willfull ignorance. Incomptence would be not achieving what they set out to do.
But I think they achieved exactly what they set out, which is to have a very limited for decoration friendslist because doing anything more involves money and opens them up to having to moderate the place.

Oct 27, 2017
No I don't think its incompetence, it's willfull ignorance. Incomptence would be not achieving what they set out to do.
But I think they achieved exactly what they set out, which is to have a very limited for decoration friendslist because doing anything more involves money and opens them up to having to moderate the place.
Delivering what you want when you know what you want is lackluster and substandard is an example of incompetence. Competent people don't do that.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

They're either oblivious or hate money. And I don't think the big N hates money.

What they set out to do was sell consumers on their service, and while a lot of people have no choice but to use it to play certain games, its seemingly universally panned for being awful. Not even only the gaming side of things, we only just got a Youtube app on a tablet styled handheld while still waiting for Netflix which was on the wii, wiiU and 3ds.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Thank you for trying to explain what incompetence means, instead of arguing in circles when you can simply punch the word in google search bar for a definition.
Delivering what you want when you know what you want is lackluster and substandard is an example of incompetence. Competent people don't do that.
Oh nvm...this is arguing for arguments sake while being disingenuous...this is why people get reported and not worth the ignore button; I'm done lol...

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for trying to explain what incompetence means, instead of arguing in circles when you can simply punch the word in google search bar for a definition.

Oh nvm...this is arguing for arguments sake while being disingenuous...this is why people get reported and not worth the ignore button; I'm done lol...
That's a nice copout. "I can't actually refute what you're saying, therefore it's disingenuous!" Sorry, but everything you're describing about Nintendo intentionally being awful is gross incompetence. Who the hell goes out of their way to piss off their customers on purpose by doing less than the bare minimum? Incompetent people do that.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the definition of goal post moving? Are you talking about money incompetence or online features incompetence; stay on topic...
Nintendo didn't build the app...

Who cares who built the app? Nintendo commissioned it, right? It's the front door to a premium service with their name on it, isn't it? It was their decision to offer their online interface through a mobile app in the first place, right?

A competitent platform holder would require such an app meet basic standards of stability, let alone functionality. An even more competitent platform holder would have this functionality baked into the systems OS.

It is Nintendo incompetence no matter how you slice it.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Unless we have the design targets for the Phone app and what we got is way off from the design document or the phone app simply crashes all the time/doesn't do what its supposed to, using the word 'Incompetent' is just wrong.

Nintendo very likely had very specific design goals for their online & app, and evidence would suggest they achieved it.

The repeated use of the word 'incompetent' to describe their online when alternatives like 'lacking' 'poor' 'weak' 'missing features' is much better fit baffles me. I guess people really love the word incompetent because they think it's harsher than the alternatives when it completely fails to describe the situation.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Unless we have the design targets for the Phone app and what we got is way off from the design document or the phone app simply crashes all the time/doesn't do what its supposed to, using the word 'Incompetent' is just wrong.

Nintendo very likely had very specific design goals for their online & app, and evidence would suggest they achieved it.

The repeated use of the word 'incompetent' to describe their online when alternatives like 'lacking' 'poor' 'weak' 'missing features' is much better fit baffles me. I guess people really love the word incompetent because they think it's harsher than the alternatives when it completely fails to describe the situation.

If those design goals didn't include:
1) a friend's list that is actually usable to join games
2) stability

Then Nintendo is incompetent

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
As a new Switch owner the On-line service Nintendo has is garbage. It is really bad and I cant believe they are charging for on-line play with as bad as it is.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

Competence doesn't just describe engineers meeting their design goals and delivering a working product. When talking about Nintendo as a whole people are discussing their design, planning, management, etc. Yes their engineers delivered what was requested, that doesn't mean the company is not incompetent for shipping something that fails to meet the desires of consumers, and fails to meet the standards of the market.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Competence doesn't just describe engineers meeting their design goals and delivering a working product. When talking about Nintendo as a whole people are discussing their design, planning, management, etc. Yes their engineers delivered what was requested, that doesn't mean the company is not incompetent for shipping something that fails to meet the desires of consumers, and fails to meet the standards of the market.

Nope, they failed their design goals too.
I just looked back and at the original Switch presentation Kimishima clealry said you could send invites and set play appointments with friends, of which you can do neither.
The only thing they've followed through on is voice chat, which is extremely limited in how it can be used.

The app sucks cause it's completely barebones garbage with barely any functionality. There should be invites, messages and the ability to party chat no matter what game you're in

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's so dissapointing to see all the same dam issues we've had since the Wii era only now we have to pay for it.

I just want lag free online play but apparently that is too difficult for Nintendo to handle.

I used to just brush it off because it was free well others were charging but now Nintendo is charging and nothing has been improved, in fact the hole thing just feels so backwards.

The whole thing is just dissapointing

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, they failed their design goals too.
I just looked back and at the original Switch presentation Kimishima clealry said you could send invites and set play appointments with friends, of which you can do neither.
The only thing they've followed through on is voice chat, which is extremely limited in how it can be used.

The app sucks cause it's completely barebones garbage with barely any functionality. There should be invites, messages and the ability to party chat no matter what game you're in

Oof

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Is the app unstable? That's not in the list of concerns i usually see. I am quite critical of the system but I just think incompetence is not it.

Incompetence: not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully.

Do you think the person(s) responsible for the design and/or execution of Nintendo's online service has exhibited the skills to make it a success?

I mean, perhaps if we define success as "setting out to launch a substandard product, then launching a substandard product"... In that light, sure it's a success, but is intentially launching a premium substandard product a competent business strategy?

RebelDeux

Nov 20, 2017
I'm so mad that their servers can barely handle SSBU, it's a joke how much lag does it has, you can barely play a match with four players, and it's not my internet because I play Battlefront on my Xbox and I have no problems.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so mad that their servers can barely handle SSBU, it's a joke how much lag does it has, you can barely play a match with four players, and it's not my internet because I play Battlefront on my Xbox and I have no problems.

I've played over 200 matches online and I've gotten noticeable lag in about 3 of them now.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
It really has to be a conscious fuck awful decision by nintendo. I dont see how a major company like them can be so oblivious to what their customer base is asking for. Nintendo are leaving money on the table by not supporting their shitshow online mode.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care to play online, but there's no other way to back up game saves besides the cloud feature the service provides right?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Ok that's fair.

Do you think the person(s) responsible for the design and/or execution of Nintendo's online service has exhibited the skills to make it a success?

I mean, perhaps if we define success as "setting out to launch a substandard product, then launching a substandard product"... In that light, sure it's a success, but is intentially launching a premium substandard product a competent business strategy?

I don't know who designed the app, but I think it's obvious to most of us for most of year 1, online functionality wasn't their top priority.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On top of everything that's already been said, they can't even provide a true virtual console where we can buy and own legacy content. Finally an hd system without cumbersome design choices, and no classic games. Nintendo needs to wake up from it's 20 year slumber.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
I think Nintendo views the Switch as a handheld and are applying their ridiculous "keep the children safe" standards to it that they applied to the DS and 3DS.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bingo. Its incompetence whether they did it intentionally or otherwise.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Ok that's fair.

I don't know who designed the app, but I think it's obvious to most of us for most of year 1, online functionality wasn't their top priority.

Its obvious to most of us that Nintendo Online is a laughably bad service compared to the rest of the injustry in basically every metric.

It doesn't matter who designed it - NINTENDO is charging for a service that is functionally inferior to standards set over 15 years ago. That's not a competent online strategy. They don't get a pass for having terrible prioritization.

Their priorities included asking for money, but did not include allowing people to join games from the friendlist. I ask again, Do you believe the architect(s) of that list of priorities or those responsible for the service's execution have exhibited the skills to make Nintendo Online successful?

so as long as i don't purposely make something incompetently then it can't be labeled as incompetent

Competence is having the ability & knowledge neccisary to do something successfully. if you repeatedly display that you don't know how to succeed, you are likely incompetent.

Last edited:

SleepyPanda46

Oct 26, 2017
I dont care about:
  • voice chat
  • Chat messages
  • free games (Multiplayer SNES games could be a diffrent story)
But i really care about a Lobby system. I like to que up with my friends and play vs other random people but no game has this unless you are on the same console. (Sadly my friends dont live araound the cornor anymore)
I actually have the most fun in multiplayers if i can play with my friends competetivly but yeah well maybe thr next gen...

I like that it is cheap btw. At the moment i share a familyplan with 8 people so it is nearly free (3,50 a year i think)

Oct 28, 2017
In that light, sure it's a success, but is intentially launching a premium substandard product a competent business strategy?

It could be.

From a business standpoint if the cost of making a real online system (because let's be clear, what everyone here is demanding will cost more to develop and maintain than what they are currently offering) is greater than the potential additional profits from a full online system then what they have done is a competent business move.

The key question to consider is how many more subs would they get if they had a real online system vs people forced to do it for cloud saves/Smash/Splatoon 2. Their data must show them it's not enough to warrant the effort.

Also there is the consideration of the Japanese market, where the smartphone app is a four star rated app and the game associated with that app (Splatoon 2) is the most successful game of the generation over there. Given that amount of success for that game in the market Nintendo cares about the most means they would probably do it the same way all over again.

I know this isn't the forum to float such an idea, but Nintendo's decisions related to the online service can be justified for purely business reasons. What that implies is upsetting to this audience (that pleasing core western gamers is not a business priority for Nintendo), but it doesn't mean their actions so far are necessarily incompetent from a business angle. There is a good chance that Nintendo isn't leaving any money on the table that doesn't require risks they aren't comfortable with making.

And it being a competent business move doesn't mean the online service isnt disappointing or not worthwhile to many people here. It just shows that the audience of a forum like this isn't exactly Nintendo's target audience.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It could be.

From a business standpoint if the cost of making a real online system (because let's be clear, what everyone here is demanding will cost more to develop and maintain than what they are currently offering) is greater than the potential additional profits from a full online system then what they have done is a competent business move.

The key question to consider is how many more subs would they get if they had a real online system vs people forced to do it for cloud saves/Smash/Splatoon 2. Their data must show them it's not enough to warrant the effort.

Also there is the consideration of the Japanese market, where the smartphone app is a four star rated app and the game associated with that app (Splatoon 2) is the most successful game of the generation over there. Given that amount of success for that game in the market Nintendo cares about the most means they would probably do it the same way all over again.

I know this isn't the forum to float such an idea, but Nintendo's decisions related to the online service can be justified for purely business reasons. What that implies is upsetting to this audience (that pleasing core western gamers is not a business priority for Nintendo), but it doesn't mean their actions so far are necessarily incompetent from a business angle. There is a good chance that Nintendo isn't leaving any money on the table that doesn't require risks they aren't comfortable with making.

And it being a competent business move doesn't mean the online service isnt disappointing or not worthwhile to many people here. It just shows that the audience of a forum like this isn't exactly Nintendo's target audience.

There's no way having the ability to join games from the friendlist would result in a loss of money.

The idea that every bad decision is the result of properly accessing data is a benefit of doubt Nintendo doesnt deserve. It should go without saying that a proper online services lead to more subscriptions, more sales of Multiplayer games, longer lasting Multiplayer populations, a better environment for 3rd parties and more DLC sales.

Also performing well in Japan, while undeserving customers in the rest of the world isn't great business.

Theres no way the data showed Nintendo that proper investment would have poor returns. They've got 15 years of data from competitive services that suggest otherwise. Nintendo's management either doesn't understand the market, or they (falsely) believe their core values cannot be upheld via a functionally complete service. In either case, it's incompetence.

Nintendo's target audience for online - 13Yo+ gamers, play Fortnite, and roblox, and minecraft, and Fifa, and COD online with their friends w/o jumping through ridiculous hoops.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the biggest lies in gaming history is console manufacturers saying that paying for online access would improve the quality of the online. Sony and Nintendo have proven it completely untrue, and Microsoft isn't telling the truth either.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's one of the key questions.

The other, though, is how much more they could expect people to pay for their subscription service if it were more fully-featured.

Competitor pricing suggests that if they had such a service they could significantly increase their price and still enjoy a very high subscription rate.

Oct 28, 2017
There's no way having the ability to join games from the friendlist would result in a loss of money.

It would cost money to develop the feature.

The idea that every bad decision is the result of properly accessing data is a benefit of doubt Nintendo doesnt deserve.

Why? They have stuck around in the console market far longer than many of their competitors. Maybe there is something to their conservative strategies.

It should go without saying that a proper online services lead to more subscriptions, more sales of Multiplayer games, longer lasting Multiplayer populations, a better environment for 3rd parties and more DLC sales.

Yeah but would all of that create enough profit to actually make the expenditure worthwhile for Nintendo? No one here knows, people just assume based on their own desires and tastes.

Personally I think Nintendo will never be a primary platform for people who are serious about online gameplay and not just because of their service, but also because of the prices of games on their platform and hardware power. I think Nintendo would be foolish to even try to chase core gamers with more online features. But I have as much data as you, which is much less than they have.

Theres no way the data showed Nintendo that proper investment would have poor returns. They've got 15 years of data from competitive services that suggest otherwise. Nintendo's management either doesn't understand the market

That logic only works if you think that Nintendo only cares about the gaming market, which they don't obviously. They are more than happy to make money off of IP too, and maybe the money it would take to build out a bigger online service could get a better ROI backing feature movies, or making that Universal theme park better, or designing the next round of amiibo. Nintendo is a toy maker much more than a technology company like Microsoft and Sony are, and they probably feel their money is best spent enhancing value where they have core competencies (aka not online services).

Nintendo's target audience for online - 13Yo+ gamers, play Fortnite, and roblox, and minecraft, and Fifa, and COD online with their friends w/o jumping through ridiculous hoops.

But that isn't Nintendo's target audience.

Nintendo's Target audience is young children (aka preteens) and young adults who are nostalgic about Nintendo and who are often parents of young children. The online service reflects that.

My proof:

But the place that Nintendo has staked out and continues to own is the family market — which its competitors pay far less attention to.

"We are happy that they don't," Reggie says. "It's been an incredibly important market because the kid who's 5 or 6 today is going to be 12 or 13 and not all that many years later 18 or 19 … And when you have an affinity for Pokémon or The Legend of Zelda series or Mario Kart or Super Mario Bros. that affinity carries with you."

It's pretty obvious from that statement that Nintendo's number one priority is to target young children and get them hooked to be nostalgic adults one day. He makes it clear that he doesn't mind losing teens that want more from their gaming console, as they expect to make them customers again when they are adults.

So they sell a cheap online service built around safeguarding children and 80's nostalgia (aka perfectly aligned to the average age of parents of young children). Nintendo is competently executing their core strategy, but that doesn't mean every has to agree with or like that strategy.

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has given me hope. Fully expected to come in here and see the apologists lining up to defend this shit service offering by Nintendo. They're embarrassingly behind on all of their online offerings.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Why? They have stuck around in the console market far longer than many of their competitors. Maybe there is something to their conservative strategies.

Yeah but would all of that create enough profit to actually make the expenditure worthwhile for Nintendo? No one here knows, people just assume based on their own desires and tastes.

Personally I think Nintendo will never be a primary platform for people who are serious about online gameplay and not just because of their service, but also because of the prices of games on their platform and hardware power. I think Nintendo would be foolish to even try to chase core gamers with more online features. But I have as much data as you, which is much less than they have.

That logic only works if you think that Nintendo only cares about the gaming market, which they don't obviously. They are more than happy to make money off of IP too, and maybe the money it would take to build out a bigger online service could get a better ROI backing feature movies, or making that Universal theme park better, or designing the next round of amiibo. Nintendo is a toy maker much more than a technology company like Microsoft and Sony are, and they probably feel their money is best spent enhancing value where they have core competencies (aka not online services).

Nintendo's Target audience is young children (aka preteens) and young adults who are nostalgic about Nintendo and who are often parents of young children. The online service reflects that.

My proof:

It's pretty obvious from that statement that Nintendo's number one priority is to target young children and get them hooked to be nostalgic adults one day. He makes it clear that he doesn't mind losing teens that want more from their gaming console, as they expect to make them customers again when they are adults.

So they sell a cheap online service built around safeguarding children and 80's nostalgia (aka perfectly aligned to the average age of parents of young children). Nintendo is competently executing their core strategy, but that doesn't mean every has to agree with or like that strategy.

My thing is; where is this 'service'. Putting aside the whole 'Why are we paying for online in the first place?' argument , at least PSN/Xbox provided decent social media connectivity aspects (voice, message system) before branching off into more robust social media features over time. I get keeping things at a minimal so you don't have to spend the cash and avoid the pitfalls of being forced to be extra vigilant policing a social media system that will have a large number of vulnerable kids as members (particularly since those gamer communities tend to be extra toxic).

I get it. But if PS Online and Xbox live were seen as cynical power grabs, this feels like outright robbery at any price, lol. Even a chat less lobby would be something; this just feels like Nintendo saying 'Fuck you, pay us 20 dollars you fucking rube or we don't let you get online at all'. This online is just arbitrary gatekeeping, it was 'fine' before if this was the only effort they planned on giving it.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo makes a lot of money, and should have no qualms about offering a better product to the customers- especially when all signs point to services being an industry gold mine[/quote]

Does this mean they haven't made mistakes? Does this mean they've realized their full potential? Online is a weakness of theirs- this is pretty clear

Most certainly. There's plenty of data to suggest increased MP engagement leads to more revenue.

One things for sure if you don't build it, they won't come. Is it really about "chasing" core gamers? Core gamers already love ninendo IP. Nintendo has some really great Multiplayer games that are hamstrung by the inadequacies of the online.

No, the logic works of ninendo care about the gaming market at all.

Nintendo's Target audience is young children (aka preteens) and young adults who are nostalgic about Nintendo who are often parents of young children. The online service reflects that.

Here's the thing, preteens, young adults, and parents of young children ARE the audience for online games and have tons of exposure to better services than Nintendo Online. Also, most of that audience is 13+.. Which I've mentioned, and is also the min age in Nintendo's TOS.

My proof:
It's pretty obvious from that statement that Nintendo's number one priority is to target young children and get them hook as nostalgic adults one day. He makes it clear that he doesn't mind losing teens that want more from their gaming console, as they expect to make them customers again when they are adults.

YOUNG CHILDREN PLAY GAMES ONLINE WITH THEIR FRIENDS. Right now, on other services.

Nintendo Online is no better at safeguarding children than its counterparts. Parents born in the 80's (like myself) are more than capable of finding parental controls, and would love if their weren't arbitrary hoops that make it hard to play nostalgic games with friends and siblings who are now remote. It's an obvious missed opportunity.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You all have already paid them. They need to change nothing.

I keep seem similar posts to this. When people stop subbing once their 12 month sub is up then we will see how much they will change. At this stage there are no big online Switch games planned unless Spatoon 3 or Mario Kart 9 becomes a thing. They have already shit the bed when it comes to Smash Ultimates online which was meant to be the big online game to push the service.

So what reason do people have to stick around past September when their 12 month subs run out?