• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I guess I've ever had to deal with a Nintendo online service in forever, but I'm horrified at how garbage and barebones it is. I have friends on my Switch that I have to add via long stupid friend codes, but once we're friends I can't send them a message in the system. I also can't invite them to play games with me, at least in Smash from what I can tell. I can see that they're online, playing a game. That's it. No other options. Cool! That's real useful to know if I can't do anything with it!

So they basically force you to communicate via their Nintendo app (which is garbage) or text or voice. Okay. So you text your friends and tell them to all start a room, which I don't think you can do in the Nintendo app, and also which can be a pain in the ass to do via phone since you may be playing with different friends (like I was tonight) where you don't have everyone's numbers. You finally get people in a room somehow, because Nintendo doesn't know how to design an online infrastructure to save their lives, and you can't voice chat through the system because their dumb asses thought it'd be a good idea to have an app on your phone to talk to other people through your... phone, only the fucking app doesn't work and crashes twice a match of Smash, every match. I have an iPhone Xr. WTF.

AAAARRRGH. NINTENDO. WHY ARE YOU SO GARBAGE AT THIS. I'm having some of the most fun I've had in MONTHS online playing Smash with my friends (when it works) but FUUUUUUUUCK. WHY ARE YOU SO BAD AT THIS.

EDIT: Really glad I now have to pay for this garbage.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
It is embarrassingly dreadful. Cheap, but very, very badly done.

I actually wouldn't mind the app if it had the same functionality as Discord. But it's worse. Miles worse. Discord makes the NSO app like like something from the year 2002.

Last edited:

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what I'm paying for. It's no different than the Wii or Wii U

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way to message your own friends in 2018/2019 is a joke. If weak ass systems like the Vita and Ps3 can do it then Nintendo is having a laugh.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
You should have spoke with your wallet and not paid for their online services. Thanks for helping them think their half-ass service is okay.

OP
OP
Dartastic

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's trash. And yet I bought the sub on day one. They have me by the balls.
I CAN'T EVEN INVITE FRIENDS TO A PERSONAL ROOM IN SMASH THROUGH THE CONSOLE. SOMEONE HAS TO START A ROOM, AND SINCE THE CONSOLE DOESN'T HAVE MESSAGING FEATURES THE OTHER PERSON HAS TO CALL OR TEXT TO LET THEM KNOW TO SEARCH FOR A ROOM. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. THIS IS ALMOST 2019.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's pathetic and I'd be more adamant about telling people not to buy it, but after 3 generations of online incompetence, I think people are just apathetic at this point :/

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Agreed, it's garbage. I'm sure there will be plenty of people chiming in saying "but it's cheap!" or "that's just how Nintendo is!" and stuff like that, but that's no fucking excuse. Not even sure what I'm paying for really... the multiplayer is trash and the two NES games per month are worthless.

I'd happily keep paying if they started taking their NES game service seriously- adding more consoles, features, etc, but I don't see it happening.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I have refused to pay on principle, due to its current state. Nintendo hasn't learned anything since they started doing online games... except how to make more money. They haven't improved anything for the consumer, though.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think NSO will either get an overhaul or go back to being free. I doubt it's making that much money and they haven't released the numbers so I'm skeptical it's doing well... And then smash came out, I wanted to play online so fuck me.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I love my Switch but the online service is straight trash. Only thing that's kind od worth it is the free games.

Me and my friends just use our phones for voice chat. Last time we did that was in demon souls wayyyyyyyy back on ps3.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I don't understand what I'm paying for. It's no different than the Wii or Wii U
It's worse than Wii U by a huge margin. Wii U had online services like YouTube, Netflix, etc, as well as a better interface. Switch as a gaming device can be great, but as a lifestyle device (which, in fairness, it isn't being touted as) is easily the worst of any console in the modern era, handheld or otherwise.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will post what i said in the other thread. I wont be renewing only got it because I needed Cloud saves for a few months. If Nintendo continues with this level of shit service then expect a major drop off in year 2 once peoples 1 year subs expire. I will mention all the issues with Nintendo Switches online Infrastructure regardless if its related to the paid service or not.

1) No messaging to other users including my friends (strike 1)
2) No universal in game voice chat unless you use the mobile app (strike 2)
3) No dedicated servers and charging me for my own internet connection (strike 3)

Based on those 3 strikes alone Nintendo is out when it comes to me paying for their online service in the future. Anything else here is just adding to Negative column.

4) No discounts on Eshop titles for paid subscribers
5) No prestige, visual flair or indication someone is a paid subscriber. This is partly important because how do you know who to play with online?
6) No cloud saves for all games, why can't I back up my Pokemon save? Who cares if people cheese the system. I got a 35 hour save and I don't want to lose it.
7) Nes games only is pretty measly where are the SNES, Gameboy and Gameboy Advanced Games?
8) No other services such as streaming, or services such as Netflix, YouTube, Spotify etc
9) Friend Codes, did these guys look at the Battle.net situation and think 'Nah fuck that shit, let's just have Mobile phone numbers instead' ?

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I think NSO will either get an overhaul or go back to being free. I doubt it's making that much money and they haven't released the numbers so I'm skeptical it's doing well... And then smash came out, I wanted to play online so fuck me.
I don't know why it'd go back to being free since it's basically easy money for Nintendo. Maybe if it really hurt the sales of their online multiplayer games, but it hasn't.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why it'd go back to being free since it's basically easy money for Nintendo. Maybe if it really hurt the sales of their online multiplayer games, but it hasn't.
I don't think it's going to happen but it's not impossible either. It will get better though. I mean look at early PS+ and Xbox Gold were also shit at first but they also got better.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I played some online today with a friend who just got a Switch. Tried out the NES games online, and there was lag the entire time of playing SMB3.

Then I tried to play Smash, and soon realized how abysmal the options are for online, which is a shame because Smash is loaded with content and options, yet the online is bad. Played 2 laggy matches with a friend, and then I gave up.

And both games had no way to invite a friend.

I'm gonna give Nintendo till my 12 month subscription is up to improve this lackluster service. So far I've been unimpressed with what they offer.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure MS in 2004 was ahead of where Nintendo is now. It's honestly baffling and even free it was inexcusable.

Ikon

Oct 26, 2017
I just want to thank you all for making the decision of whether or not to buy Smash that much easier. I primarily wanted it to play online, and from the sounds of it that's not much of an option. I don't need the kind of frustration you're feeling right now.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Smash is here, so now I am a bit tempted, but man, can they get some SNES games out already or something. I hate how lacking this service is.

Would be great if Nintendo least lays out a roadmap in a direct next month or such.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I will post what i said in the other thread. I wont be renewing only got it because I needed Cloud saves for a few months. If Nintendo continues with this level of shit service then expect a major drop off in year 2 once peoples 1 year subs expire. I will mention all the issues with Nintendo Switches online Infrastructure regardless if its related to the paid service or not.

1) No messaging to other users including my friends (strike 1)
2) No universal in game voice chat unless you use the mobile app (strike 2)
3) No dedicated servers and charging me for my own internet connection (strike 3)

Based on those 3 strikes alone Nintendo is out when it comes to me paying for their online service in the future. Anything else here is just adding to Negative column.

4) No discounts on Eshop titles for paid subscribers
5) No prestige, visual flair or indication someone is a paid subscriber. This is partly important because how do you know who to play with online?
6) No cloud saves for all games, why can't I back up my Pokemon save? Who cares if people cheese the system. I got a 35 hour save and I don't want to lose it.
7) Nes games only is pretty measly where are the SNES, Gameboy and Gameboy Advanced Games?
8) No other services such as streaming, or services such as Netflix, YouTube, Spotify etc
9) Friend Codes, did these guys look at the Battle.net situation and think 'Nah fuck that shit, let's just have Mobile phone numbers instead' ?
That sounds terrible. If PlayStation or Xbox was this bad in 2018 people would be screaming from the rooftops.

I mean, no simple message based chat? PlayStation and Xbox has had this for well over 10 years now.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the dumbest defense for this piece of shit system is "Well it's only 20 dollars durrrr". It's just ridiculous how awful Nintendo is at all things online related still.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's going to happen but it's not impossible either. It will get better though. I mean look at early PS+ and Xbox Gold were also shit at first but they also got better.
I'm sure it will. I wish I didn't have to pay for online at all for any of the consoles, but that's not the world we live in.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
"But it's only $20!"

You could feed your family at White Castle for $20 but why would you ever do that?
Hey White Castle is amazing. Sometimes I bring home 10 cheeseburger and 10 jalapeno burgers, no ketchup of course, and we go to town.

AND Nintendo's online service is good enough for me for only $20 lol. (Though of course this is just for my use case, I like NES games and I never message or chat online on other consoles or PC.)

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Absolutely incredible that I cannot invite friends to a room in Smash through the system menus. What is the point of the list and showing what they're playing when I can't do fuck all.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
this service makes it perfectly justifiable to buy a family plan and split with 8 people. the service is barely worth the $5 you'd spend that way. for $20 i'll never pay for something that hasn't improved in any way since the device released.

and no, bundling in ancient NES games i don't want is not a good deal. i'd rather pay $5 to play online and have no other benefit.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, the fact that the Vita is superior in every way, and that it's even a step back from the 3DS and Wii U is beyond stupid.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should have spoke with your wallet and not paid for their online services. Thanks for helping them think their half-ass service is okay.

Yeah. Even sadder than Nintendo crapping out a barely functional paid online system is that these threads are full of people who had the chance to try it out and then somehow expected it to get magically better.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"But it's only $20!"

You could feed your family at White Castle for $20 but why would you ever do that?
I have doubts that anyone that has to choose between feeding their family and $20 a year for Nintendo Switch Online can't afford the Switch itself without shorting a rent payment, so.... huh?

NSO is bad, but let's not get ridiculously trollish about it.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty unfortunate that Nintendo put out an online service that pales in comparison to their prior two consoles, Wii and Wii U, yet now you have to pay for it. And it's not even close to Microsoft's initial XBL offerings in 2004 if we're comparing paid services. I'm not entirely sure why it was "delayed" from the Switch's launch when it didn't even bring any new features either....(NES roms didn't take a year in change)? All around strange situation.