• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I paid for a year just so I could keep playing Spaltoon 2 (Yeah, complete bullshit that the online was taken AWAY a fucking year after launch).

I won't do it again, it's a fucking joke and Nintendo deserves all the shame they get for it. It's on par with the ridiculousness of Playstation not offering refunds.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I think NSO will either get an overhaul or go back to being free. I doubt it's making that much money and they haven't released the numbers so I'm skeptical it's doing well... And then smash came out, I wanted to play online so fuck me.

20 bucks extra from even 10% of all users is a massive profit for very little cost. Investors will push hard to keep the service up, because it's free money on an annual basis.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I expected them to do better. I don't know why. I guess i figured they were on a roll or something.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's management is the culprit. There can be no mistake at this point, the bad online system is by design. If gamers want better online then the whole senior management team and board of directors needs to be thrown out and replaced with a team whose strategic direction for the company includes a robust online service. Nothing short of a billionaire activist investor can do it though.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Still standing strong on my boycott of this horrendous offering of an online service. Maybe I'll bite once the snes games roll out...and only if they include.

Fzero
Actraiser
Super ghouls n ghosts
Mario world
Yoshis Island
Pilotwings

Sadly I know Nintendo....it'll probably be 2020 before all those games come to Switch. 😖😡

OP
OP
Dartastic

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely incredible that I cannot invite friends to a room in Smash through the system menus. What is the point of the list and showing what they're playing when I can't do fuck all.
This and the mobile app crashing quite literally at least 20 times during our play session inspired me to make this thread.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This says it all: Wii U had free online and it was WAY better than what Switch has you PAY for. And Wii U's online wasn't even that good!

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
You should have spoke with your wallet and not paid for their online services. Thanks for helping them think their half-ass service is okay.

The time for that is long gone. People should have spoken out with their wallets against the concept of paid online multiplayer back in 2005 with the Xbox. Now that that has been successful, everyone is doing it.

Now it's as simple as: I need to play smash with friends online and the only way to do that is by paying for shit I got for free before because Microsoft made it okay for everyone.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have doubts that anyone that has to choose between feeding their family and $20 a year for Nintendo Switch Online can't afford the Switch itself without shorting a rent payment, so.... huh?

NSO is bad, but let's not get ridiculously trollish about it.
My point is that just because something is cheap doesn't mean it's worth buying.

I'm not directly comparing the cost of NSO and fucking White Castle.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Even Chu Chu Rocket on the Dreamcast had a chat room where you could communicate with the other folks online and prepare to battle one another.

Yall out here getting finessed by Nintendo in 2019 for yearly subscriptions to an online service fresh out of the era when 'Who let the dogs out' was still on the Billboard top 100.

laIYUYT.png

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
This says it all: Wii U had free online and it was WAY better than what Switch has you PAY for. And Wii U's online wasn't even that good!
In what way? The only thing I can think of is Miiverse. Otherwise I would think the Switch is ahead because it at least has cloud saves and your account isn't locked to your hardware.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Said from the start that its utter trash and, honestly, dont see Nintendo improving it anytime soon.

I would have loved to not pay for this service but my copy of splatoon would have been virtually useless without it. Nintendo online is trash.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expected them to do better. I don't know why. I guess i figured they were on a roll or something.
Games? Sure. Hardware? Yeah.

But the OS, NSO and eShop are way behind at this point in the console's life. I really expected more significant (hell, standard) features to be implemented at this point. The OS and eShop came in real hot at launch, clearly just what was needed to make them functional, and they've barely advanced since then.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I kind of get Nintendo's worry with regards to messaging and messages regarding grooming and such. However, they seem paralysed with this, and don't seem to want to deal with the issue.

I don't understand why the online was delayed so long at all. None of this could have taken long to implement.

I find it really baffling you can't just create a room in smash and add people from your friends list. They get a little notification : [blah blah] wants to play. You jump straight in. This should be really easy, and if you keep it message free you've got no grooming concerns. Really, really odd.

A while ago I seem to recall reading an article about Nintendo. Someone described it as a bubble. Nintendo folks didn't play Xbox or PlayStation games or use their services, even for research. I might have dreamed this?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their online is so bad that my experience with the free trial was all I needed to justify I'll never be paying for something so trash.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A while ago I seem to recall reading an article about Nintendo. Someone described it as a bubble. Nintendo folks didn't play Xbox or PlayStation games or use their services, even for research. I might have dreamed this?
I highly doubt that's true. Nobody runs a business successfully without researching the opposition. Besides, if you got a job in video games then you probably like to play them and you probably want to see what everyone else is doing with the medium.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
I recently purchased it for Smash Bros and I'm having buyers remorse. I honestly prefer Wii U online.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a shame. I would pay up EASILY if they had a normal online infrastructure. Imagine simple match making for Smash, Mario Kart, Mario Party?

Like if I could hop in and out of games in Smash like I could Rocket League, party up witb friends easily, etc...I'd be there in a second.

Sovereign

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Boggles my mind how they remain behind in the online space. It's a primary reason why I'm hesitant to buy a Switch. Online play is very important to me.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Well Nintendo developers quite clearly do play games not on Nintendo systems. Splatoon's devs for example were huge fans of playing online shooters that were on other platforms.

I think I know the article you're talking about though and it was from around when the Wii U came out. When Nintendo was trying to gather third party support and getting feedback from third party publishers there was something where someone from a third party company asked Nintendo a question comparing the Wii U to the Playstation and Xbox and the Nintendo rep didn't know what he was talking about. I'm not sure if it was about online though, I want to say it was about the OS or the hardware though. And it could've just been that the one rep didn't know the answer.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I highly doubt that's true. Nobody runs a business successfully without researching the opposition. Besides, if you got a job in video games then you probably like to play them and you probably want to see what everyone else is doing with the medium.
I think they're referring to this Eurogamer article from the Wii U era (written by an anonymous third party developer):

There were apparently issues with setting up a large networking infrastructure to rival Sony and Microsoft that they hadn't envisaged.

At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in their development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them? My only thought after this call was that they were struggling - badly - with the networking side as it was far more complicated than they anticipated. They were trying to play catch-up with the rival systems, but without the years of experience to back it up.

Four years later and they haven't learned a thing.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
honestly, every single journalist who interviews someone at Nintendo (esp. Reggie) that doesn't ask directly why NSO is so bad is really doing gamers a huge disservice. They need to face public pressure.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
The time for that is long gone. People should have spoken out with their wallets against the concept of paid online multiplayer back in 2005 with the Xbox. Now that that has been successful, everyone is doing it.

Now it's as simple as: I need to play smash with friends online and the only way to do that is by paying for shit I got for free before because Microsoft made it okay for everyone.
I don't want to speak on behalf of everyone in the thread, but the issue isn't the fact that a service costs money. The issue is that the service isn't worth what it costs. Even if NSO was free, what they offer right now wouldn't be acceptable by today's standards.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Dan Adelman, former Head of Digital Content and Development at Nintendo, told everyone what time it is when it comes to Nintendo and why they are behind competitors with these kind of things.
The most senior executives at the company cut their teeth during NES and Super NES days and do not really understand modern gaming, so adopting things like online gaming, account systems, friends lists, as well as understanding the rise of PC gaming has been very slow/QUOTE]
https://nintendotoday.com/adelman-discusses-nintendo-corporate-structure/

OP
OP
Dartastic

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's such a shame. I would pay up EASILY if they had a normal online infrastructure. Imagine simple match making for Smash, Mario Kart, Mario Party?

Like if I could hop in and out of games in Smash like I could Rocket League, party up witb friends easily, etc...I'd be there in a second.
I literally had SUCH a fantastic time when it was working. I was playing Smash with two friends and one of their friends, and we were having a fucking BLAST, especially when the voice chat was working on my end. It made me realize what I'm missing with Nintendo's online service being so trash. It just doesn't doesn't really anything and actively places hurdles in your gaming experience.

Apr 21, 2018
I have put a great deal of thought into this.

CLEARLY Nintendo sees the backlash. They see the dislikes on any video related to it. They must see the minuscule amount of people who use the app. They don't have their heads buried in the sand. They know gamers are dissatisfied.

I actually think there is a much more nebulous reason for it all - they simply don't give a fuck. They never really valued online play in the sense of social functions, parties, and communities. Nintendo sees social gaming as a local experience. They have literally been dragged into the online race kicking and screaming. They don't want to do it. Their focus is on local play. On families. On being with friends. On being in real-life. They really, really value this aspect of their brand. It is reflected in nearly ALL of their marketing and promotional materials. They view a heavily networked experience to be an isolating one, and the image of a gamer playing by himself/herself with a headset is considered so anti-brand to them, they nearly see it as toxic and damaging.

This is why they not only put very little budget and effort into their online infrastructure, they actively try to limit it. They have stripped back features from the WiiU and 3DS. They have re-introduced Friend Codes. They have released a modern console without blue-tooth support.

Nintendo actively supports local multiplayer and actively limits online play. It goes along with their branding. It's a terrible strategy if you ask me, but their bread-and-butter is kids and families and they know it. They know the 'good enough' online is fine for us. Smash Bros Ultimate sold 5 million copies in one day and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is north of 10 million. I have fun with the online in these games. It works. The netcode works for me. However I wish I could make parties, join friends, send invites, voice chat easily, get into deep strategies in Splatoon, laugh and make friends in Smash Bros. I have accepted it ain't happening. I still love em'. I still love the games.

And as a 31 year old Nintendo fan who has had every one of their consoles, I have said it before and I'll say it again about Nintendo getting online right : "maybe next gen?"

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't directly trade pokemon in let's go with people on my friend's list

It's bullshit

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're all saying that even before the paid thing launched and it wasn't changed asap (and it won't) so this is just a repeat of the same thing which will be posted ad infinitum anyway. lol

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I'd take everything they did with the WiiU with the social media content put into the switch. They could of gotten away with all that stuff they had on the WiiU put into the switch and calling it Nintendo online. Whats the point of adding friends, i just dont get it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
In what way? The only thing I can think of is Miiverse. Otherwise I would think the Switch is ahead because it at least has cloud saves and your account isn't locked to your hardware.
Miiverse is big. In addition, no friend codes necessary, you could send messages, video chat, it had way more media services, an internet browser, voice chat didn't require (or almost always require) a phone app, etc.

That's not to say there aren't a couple of things Switch does that Wii U didn't, but Wii U was overall much more fleshed out.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think NSO will either get an overhaul or go back to being free. I doubt it's making that much money and they haven't released the numbers so I'm skeptical it's doing well... And then smash came out, I wanted to play online so fuck me.

I imagine we aren't going to see any real movement from them until around this time next year, since by then the yearly subs from early adopters, Smash fans and this year's holiday buyers will have all ran out and Nintendo will have a good idea of what user retention for their service is like, and if it ain't good we'll probably see some corrective action from them, or at the very least the addition of SNES games.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nintendo's management is the culprit. There can be no mistake at this point, the bad online system is by design. If gamers want better online then the whole senior management team and board of directors needs to be thrown out and replaced with a team whose strategic direction for the company includes a robust online service. Nothing short of a billionaire activist investor can do it though.
The board of directors? Calm down, drama queen.
All evidence seems to suggest that online infrastructure for each console falls to the project manager for each device. Hence why each device they release has such wildly inconsistent online parameters. They're basically re-inventing the wheel each time and yeah, it's frustrating as hell.

And that's what sets them apart from Sony and MS negatively, they're still treating it like a hardware feature when it needs to be a separately-built service offering that they can iterate on.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have put a great deal of thought into this.

CLEARLY Nintendo sees the backlash. They see the dislikes on any video related to it. They must see the minuscule amount of people who use the app. They don't have their heads buried in the sand. They know gamers are dissatisfied.

I actually think there is a much more nebulous reason for it all - they simply don't give a fuck. They never really valued online play in the sense of social functions, parties, and communities. Nintendo sees social gaming as a local experience. They have literally been dragged into the online race kicking and screaming. They don't want to do it. Their focus is on local play. On families. On being with friends. On being in real-life. They really, really value this aspect of their brand. It is reflected in nearly ALL of their marketing and promotional materials. They view a heavily networked experience to be an isolating one, and the image of a gamer playing by himself/herself with a headset is considered so anti-brand to them, they nearly see it as toxic and damaging.

This is why they not only put very little budget and effort into their online infrastructure, they actively try to limit it. They have stripped back features from the WiiU and 3DS. They have re-introduced Friend Codes. They have released a modern console without blue-tooth support.

Nintendo actively supports local multiplayer and actively limits online play. It goes along with their branding. It's a terrible strategy if you ask me, but their bread-and-butter is kids and families and they know it. They know the 'good enough' online is fine for us. Smash Bros Ultimate sold 5 million copies in one day and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is north of 10 million. I have fun with the online in these games. It works. The netcode works for me. However I wish I could make parties, join friends, send invites, voice chat easily, get into deep strategies in Splatoon, laugh and make friends in Smash Bros. I have accepted it ain't happening. I still love em'. I still love the games.

And as a 31 year old Nintendo fan who has had every one of their consoles, I have said it before and I'll say it again about Nintendo getting online right : "maybe next gen?"

lol that's actually a great theory

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Miiverse is big. In addition, no friend codes necessary, you could send messages, video chat, it had way more media services, an internet browser, voice chat didn't require (or almost always require) a phone app, etc.

That's not to say there aren't a couple of things Switch does that Wii U didn't, but Wii U was overall much more fleshed out.
Yeah you could send messages through Miiverse but not in-game. It wasn't very useful. It's not like I could invite friends to play Mario Kart while we were both playing. And the voice chat wasn't an app sure but you could also only use it in like four games. So it wasn't like you were getting much more mileage out of it. I remember even then people were using discord or just calling friends rather than using Wii U's voice chat. I don't think video chat was ever a huge draw to be honest, I always forget the Wii U had it since I never used it and I'm surprised anyone did.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you could send messages through Miiverse but not in-game. It wasn't very useful. It's not like I could invite friends to play Mario Kart while we were both playing. And the voice chat wasn't an app sure but you could also only use it in like four games. So it wasn't like you were getting much more mileage out of it. I remember even then people were using discord or just calling friends rather than using Wii U's voice chat. I don't think video chat was ever a huge draw to be honest, I always forget the Wii U had it since I never used it and I'm surprised anyone did.
Well, this is why I say Wii U online wasn't even that good. But the fact it's so much more feature-rich than Switch's online is what's really telling and sad.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo hates online/hates that people want them to improve their online.

That's why they made the smartphone app. So they can just offload everything to an external developer who would hopefully know what they were doing...
but, it seems like that gamble didn't work out.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is why I say Wii U online wasn't even that good. But the fact it's so much more feature-rich than Switch's online is what's really telling and sad.
You can't really call it feature rich when the features sucked and barely worked. I would say the Switch is better because the things that worked on the Wii U work on the Switch (except Miiverse RIP) with cloud saves.

Deleted member 20852

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. I feel stupid for having paid the full 12 month subscription.

I do play Rocket League every now and then, but that's it. Smash online is super laggy and I don't enjoy it anyway without friends on the couch, and out of the NES games SMB3 is the only one I can still enjoy. I have never used the phone app, and probably never will.