• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ReitStuff

Oct 30, 2017
One thing that I hate is how every so often Nintendo says "we only show games releasing soon at E3." They showed plenty of far off games last year because they had something to show. Everyone knows that when they don't show anything new it's because they have nothing to show. They did the same thing in 2015, one year after revealing Zelda Wii U lol.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Then why not show it at E3. Surely annoucing your entire 2018 hand is better than the 2 2019 teases that they did? Why hide keep the rest of the 2018 games a secret?

No I think that's all they had for 2018.
This is Nintendo, who had somewhat a success with its 3DS, and announced its cheaper revisions and price cuts a month or so after E3. They don't give a fuck about things like this.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
- Nintendo wants to create content that brings people together and encourage the community to go from their with eSports

ebRqfLq.gif

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I hate is how every so often Nintendo says "we only show games releasing soon at E3." They showed plenty of far off games last year because they had something to show. Everyone knows that when they don't show anything new it's because they have nothing to show. They did the same thing in 2015, one year after revealing Zelda Wii U lol.
too small of a sample size. In 2014 they were still trying salvage WiiU, Last year Switch was 3 months old and they wanted to show they had stuff coming.

Almost all other times since the first E3 I went to in 2001 they would only show things coming in the near 6-8 month window. They've been stating this mantra for decades. Even if they have to break that mantra once in a while.

It doesn't excuse it. They could always give one or more teases every year. But lets be honest they do like 4-6 Direct's a year, E3 is pretty much meaningless to them in regards to announcements.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
They showed plenty far off stuff last year because they were trying to get people excited for the future of the Switch and reassuring fans there was a future on the console. They don't have to do that this year now that the Switch has had a successful launch year. They also didn't show anything much at E3 2016 even though they could've shown off the Switch and upcoming Switch games, they decided it was smarter to market it much closer to release.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Reggie is certainly talking that talk. I would love to get a few more surprises for my switch. Not nearly enough interesting software on it for 2018.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
- trial events like Mario Tennis Aces let Nintendo learn more about the challenges in network play

Yes, this is good.

- once again, Switch options without the dock in Japan are not coming to North America

As expected. We don't ever have "convenience" here in the US.

- In Dec 2017, 3DS grew by 27% year on year in North America
- in this year, 3DS business is up 10% in North America

3DS will never die.

- Reggie says lootboxes have gotten a bad wrap
- a gameplay mechanic that offers the consumer something to buy when they're not sure what's inside can be interesting as long as it's not the only way to get those items

Yes, as long as it's not the only way to get those items (in-game, no-payments method of obtaining it), it will be interesting. Else, ye all interests begone!

- Reggie believes Furukawa is a great pick for Nintendo's next president
- Nintendo wants to create content that brings people together and encourage the community to go from their with eSports

Hoping to see Furukawa speak in next year's E3 conference (Digital Event). I wanted to hear the voice in English, since he's a native speaker.

- Reggie says the number of analysts who have "gotten it right" over the years is very small
- Reggie says "don't worry" about analysts

As expected.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
He wouldn't say the opposite. I don't believe in anything he says.

I believe in what I see, and what I see is an awful line up throughout the whole year, and the worst E3 showing in history.

Fix it.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Is the surprise later on worth it if it leads a very underwhelming showing on the biggest stage of the year?

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Reggie chiming in way late with a remedial take on loot boxes after the community already came to a general consensus, I love it. The most Reggie thing ever.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the surprise later on worth it if it leads a very underwhelming showing on the biggest stage of the year?
E3 has lost much of its prestige as the biggest Stage. Companies do their own thing throughout the year. It wasn't too long ago people were upset at Sony for having relatively mild E3 because they were holding stuff for PSX etc. E3 is one of those things that at this point are more tradition.

Anon27

Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys think Nintendo should approach E3? They have 3-4 directs a year and I think if they stop having directs and show everything they have in E3 then nobody will be disappointed.

On the other hand, Nintendo direct is actually a great marketing strategy for games that are about to be released. Every time there is a nintendo direct, it's almost guaranteed that Nintendo will dominate the gaming headlines during that day. In fact, I think this effect lasts for several days. Gaming sites will write their predictions, speculations, rumours, reactions etc. It such a low-cost way to monopolize the news

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
i am...still worried about what Ninty's network system will endup being like...
Yeah it was funny that they use Mario Tennis Aces as their way to learn about network play...come on guys, people have been doing that for over two decades, perfectly. You've had plenty of time to make something good.

Then why not show it at E3. Surely annoucing your entire 2018 hand is better than the 2 2019 teases that they did? Why hide keep the rest of the 2018 games a secret?

No I think that's all they had for 2018.

Yeah I think so too because they showed basically one big thing (Smash) and then a bunch of small things, including some random indie titles.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it was funny that they use Mario Tennis Aces as their way to learn about network play...come on guys, people have been doing that for over two decades, perfectly. You've had plenty of time to make something good.
Network tests are meant to test the limits of networks. Why this concept is so hard for people to understand here baffles me. If you want to test the limits of network performance, you can't simply constrict it to what will result in good performance.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
We do need to realise that if they have say only 2 big things to talk about at E3, blowing them there and having nothing for the rest of the year is probably silly. If they had 10 awesome things in the pipeline, I'm sure we would have seen some more. Nintendo typically don't though, they only have a few bit things they can work with at any one point.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has proven time and time again that they don't give a flying fuck about fickle shareholders and daily trading.

They are only concerned about the overall growth and longevity of their company.

Last edited:

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I think so too because they showed basically one big thing (Smash) and then a bunch of small things, including some random indie titles.
A new main Mario Party and the first game play of the new Fire-emblem are not small things, add to that a new IP exclusive to the console and a DLC that might as well be called a new Xenoblade Chronicle.Chronicles. And two shadow drops in one conference too.

Donkusei

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
- Nintendo is a company that loves to surprise fans
Oh yes, of course, me too, I love to get nothing at E3... I love to wait 5 years to see the next Retro Studios game, I love to wait years to see Metroid Prime 4 or Pikmin 4 ("almost finished" in 2016...).

And I love your weak hardware, I love to play 3rd party games (when it's available on Switch...) in 720p / 30fps.

Thank you Nintendo.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Please do surprise us by releasing that one game western fans have been asking you for since 2006.

I was pretty contempt with their showing overall but waiting to announce al that instead of showing us at E3 is weird.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's never considered E3 to be Gamer's Christmas. Last year, they dropped the SNES Classic announcement one week after the conference. When you can drop announcements at any time, there's less of a need to highlight your entire line up at one place when everyone's fighting for attention.

As for lootboxes, well, they've made Pokemon trading cards for decades now. Also, see the AC amiibo cards.

Last edited:

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Reset the clock? I could totally see a shadow direct next week after the furor of E3 dies down.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. They have several directs throughout the year. Obviously most of the games that weren't shown aren't coming out this year or early next.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's not really a surprise when you consider they have directs, which are their only mini E3's several times a year, and usually stick to near future games while Sony and MS pretty much dump everything they have at E3 that covers a two year window.

It is a surprise when you consider that the Directs this year have been really really bad. E3 was their last chance to make things right, and they blew it.

Also Sony and MS have Gamescom, TGS, PSX etc. too, and Sony especially releases high quality games at a fast clip unlike Nintendo these days.

Oct 27, 2017
No, I bought a Switch for the Nintendo exclusives, because they make the best games.

But the hardware is weak. And I don't like it.

The Switch is actually very powerful for a mobile device. You can't seriously expect to pack PS4 power into a 7 in. tablet for $300. The only way to not have a system less than Xbox One power is for Nintendo to skip the hybrid format all together, which isn't something most people want at this point.