adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
I think the Burst Counters need a little rebalancing.
The Brute one for example, is dead easy to perform and connects a majority of the time with a large room for user error.
The Feral one on the other hand requires the enemy to enter the path of the counter, and numerous times I've had it either glitch out, or not activate for one reason or another.

Oct 26, 2017
The Brute one for example, is dead easy to perform and connects a majority of the time with a large room for user error.
The Feral one on the other hand requires the enemy to enter the path of the counter, and numerous times I've had it either glitch out, or not activate for one reason or another.
They all have strengths and weakness
Brute: Preemptive punsh, damage, knock back
Feral: Extra mobility, if you get stunned you can just dash out, good for really fast ones
Spoopy: Free block 100% vs everything, easy to land

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
They all have strengths and weakness
Brute: Preemptive punsh, damage, knock back
Feral: Extra mobility, if you get stunned you can just dash out, good for really fast ones
Spoopy: Free block 100% vs everything, easy to land

I don't dispute the uses Feral has in terms of mobility. I know it's arguable better for players who want to play it safe and learn enemy patterns, I just think the window of opportunity needs to be slightly increased in terms of activating the actual counter. Compared to Brute and Phantom which are ridiculously easy to activate.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Woo, just took down the Gozuki in level 1 on my third try.

Admittedly I have spent the last couple weeks revisiting Nioh 1, so I am walking into this game already in tune with the mechanics and only had to grapple with getting accustomed to the new Burst Counter. Playing Tonfa as I was using them in Nioh 1 recently and having a lot of fun, may as well stick with it. Intense though given my armor and weapon is starter and it took a LOT of damage to wrestle down. I would expect newcomers would have a real problem going for the trophy on the very second enemy you even face in the game.

Though I barely started, playing this immediately after Nioh 1 and the addition of HDR support is noticeable. Lots of little upgrades, particularly more clarity and richness to the audio. Lots of added little special effects(as if this game needed more swirling lights). Also, the camera feels slightly pulled back(or FOV adjusted) as I already get a sense I can see a bit more of the playfield.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
How hard is it to use this new burst counter? I haven't played the game yet but is the timing really tight or easier than Sekiro's timing?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
How hard is this on a scale from Kirby to Dark Souls? Lol
I have the first game and got maybe 15 hours in but wasn't making progress and dropped it.
Should i pick that back up or is the new game better all around? I'm not great at hard games but I buy them all anyways and try ( I did finally make some progress in Bloodborne after banging my head against a wall for hours so there is hope!)
Anyways reviews for this look good and it's intriguing to me

For reference:
-I played around 40-50 hrs of Nioh 1 and got around halfway to 60% through before getting frustrated and giving up
-Took me like 5 tries to "get" blood borne, when I did I got to father something and summoned for help, beat him, then gave up
-Loooooooove Ninja Gaiden Black, Nier Automata, for example
-Sekiro was awesome and easier than souls games for me (thanks to mobility) but found the systems to be very unfair at times, like the rot penalty and difficulty spikes. Was my GOTY after adding pc easy mods (help with bosses and no rot penalty).

Now for Nioh 2, I played 3 hours and found it very difficult, but also very addicting. You level up quite quickly and have to experiment with builds to get it right. The burst counters and yokai shift are huge - these can get you out of tough encounters

I'd say the systems are complex but the actual gameplay is a little more accessible than Nioh 1.

still wish it was easier.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
People talk about not liking the level design in Nioh 1, but man, I have some really fond memories of a bunch of different areas. Looking forward to starting this this weekend. I hope it matches the first game in that regard.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
People talk about not liking the level design in Nioh 1, but man, I have some really fond memories of a bunch of different areas. Looking forward to starting this this weekend. I hope it matches the first game in that regard.
Only done the first mission so far and it was good. They even let you get an early shortcut for doing something harder.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Can people playing on Pros talk about fan noise ? Does the blacksmith still turn your Pro into a jet engine?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Yea, the negativity over the levels in Nioh 1 felt disingenuous. Almost every 'main' level is unique and features some different obstacles to overcome not to mention differing locations and all the little secrets and shortcuts to uncover.

I do get that the twilight missions and submissions basically regurgitate areas to the point it can feel like completists are running through remixed content a bit much, but there is a lot of detail and well considered pathing guiding you through zones.

But mostly, the lack of a cohesive connected world is probably what bothered most. Perhaps people just want Metroid, not Mario World.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
yea, the first areas were especially good. Or the story missions in the expansions. Ofc you can't have top design all the time with the shorter side missions. Nioh had a lot of missions.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Yea, I've only been using Feral so far and it feels either glitchy or unsatisfying. Like when it lands, I don't get some overwhelming sensation of success, more confusion as if the dust needs to settle so I can discern if it worked or not. Things happened! Oh I somehow whiffed? Oh it worked this time?

The projection just feels small to the point it gets lost between my character model and the enemy animation and I can't track much of anything. So its a pray and spray on timing the connection. Bleh. It's my go-to style too as a lithe light armor wearing Ki-focused dodger.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I have two Questions before I buy this, hope someone can clear them up for me:

1. I am very much a fan of souls/like games and have played most of them except the first Nioh. I kinda just want to jump in to this one though, would it be fine for me to do so? Not sure how big a role story plays in these games...

2. Is action mode on base PS4 really a solid 60fps? If so does the game look ugly while in this mode?

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
How hard is this on a scale from Kirby to Dark Souls? Lol
I have the first game and got maybe 15 hours in but wasn't making progress and dropped it.
Should i pick that back up or is the new game better all around? I'm not great at hard games but I buy them all anyways and try ( I did finally make some progress in Bloodborne after banging my head against a wall for hours so there is hope!)
Anyways reviews for this look good and it's intriguing to me
I feel that Nioh can be pretty daunting at times, but overall there are much, much more stuff to help you compared to From Software's games. I'd say that finishing the main story is easier overall than DS, Bloodborne and Sekiro, but the endgame has much more depth than those games and it probably gets a lot harder.

I'm still at the start of Nioh 2 and it feels like a much improved Nioh on a lot of aspects. Also, easier compared to Nioh, though I already knew a lot of the systems. Definitely skip Nioh for Nioh 2, imho.

1. I am very much a fan of souls/like games and have played most of them except the first Nioh. I kinda just want to jump in to this one though, would it be fine for me to do so? Not sure how big a role story plays in these games...

2. Is action mode on base PS4 really a solid 60fps? If so does the game look ugly while in this mode?

1. You can, yeah.
2. I think it's indeed 60 fps, and i haven't noticed any dips. It does look quite worse than movie mode, but on movie mode the game almost feels unplayable.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
For reference:
-I played around 40-50 hrs of Nioh 1 and got around halfway to 60% through before getting frustrated and giving up
-Took me like 5 tries to "get" blood borne, when I did I got to father something and summoned for help, beat him, then gave up
-Loooooooove Ninja Gaiden Black, Nier Automata, for example
-Sekiro was awesome and easier than souls games for me (thanks to mobility) but found the systems to be very unfair at times, like the rot penalty and difficulty spikes. Was my GOTY after adding pc easy mods (help with bosses and no rot penalty).

Now for Nioh 2, I played 3 hours and found it very difficult, but also very addicting. You level up quite quickly and have to experiment with builds to get it right. The burst counters and yokai shift are huge - these can get you out of tough encounters

I'd say the systems are complex but the actual gameplay is a little more accessible than Nioh 1.

still wish it was easier.

Thank you for all the insights. It actually sounds like it's probably going to be a bit too difficult for me. I may wait til it's 30 bucks and get it so it's less a loss if I don't get into it.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
This game is hard thank god for those high level people that die near shrines so newbies can summon their AI ghost. I had to fight two yokai back to back first one was close second one I yokai shifted and beat his ass.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

The game is set in the past compared to this first one. You can definitely just jump in to this.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
I'm surprised no one opened a topic or showed pics about their character creation and codes to share with others. I don't have the game yet so maybe I'm missing something about this.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Do we know what the scales Icon on mission select means? The other two are the same as the first, whether a mission has a shrine and whether you can play using the torii gate. It so far only appeared on the twilight mission, do they now "scale" to your level?

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised no one opened a topic or showed pics about their character creation and codes to share with others. I don't have the game yet so maybe I'm missing something about this.

Not sure, but either way, here's my totally not Punished Dante of Rivia, currently adorned in peasantry tier armor, but that will change.

CVMYnfA.jpg

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I just watched an Odach video, hooboy that looks good.

Is there a way to combine 6-7 weapons into a single, unstoppable, A+ scaling close/long range monster?

I'll just assume yes .

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not to pile on to the obvious comparison or start anything, but I have always found DS games to be too empty and light on plot/characters, and their gameplay has never been my favorite. Can I ask how this one compares to that? Is it close enough that I should skip or is there room for me to have a different opinion on this than I have in DS?

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Not to pile on to the obvious comparison or start anything, but I have always found DS games to be too empty and light on plot/characters, and their gameplay has never been my favorite. Can I ask how this one compares to that? Is it close enough that I should skip or is there room for me to have a different opinion on this than I have in DS?
It usually goes like mission->boss->cutscene. It is definitely nothing like DS but the story is a bit too nonsensical and has a lot of Japanese history stuff.

Oct 27, 2017

There is technically a story in Nioh but it's so poorly written with paper thin characters that it may as well not even be there. The cutscenes are basically filler. Can't speak to Nioh 2 but everything I've heard about it makes me believe that it isn't too far off from the first game in that regard.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It usually goes like mission->boss->cutscene. It is definitely nothing like DS but the story is a bit too nonsensical and has a lot of Japanese history stuff.
Is the story content at least a little bit more robust than DS? One of my complaints was always that it felt like I spent very little time getting any context for what I was doing and a whole lot in long stretches of gameplay.
There is technically a story in Nioh but it's so poorly written with paper thin characters that it may as well not even be there. The cutscenes are basically filler. Can't speak to Nioh 2 but everything I've heard about it makes me believe that it isn't too far off from the first game in that regard.
That might answer my question, thank you.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Is the story content at least a little bit more robust than DS? One of my complaints was always that it felt like I spent very little time getting any context for what I was doing and a whole lot in long stretches of gameplay.
I think you'll, probably, understand what's your objective, why are you in that place and why you need to kill the X character, but as I said, the story is nonsensical, and as someone that lacks any real knowledge of japanese history, I kept seeing characters that I barely knew. If your issue is that it is nonexistent, it's not, but I don't think the story is enjoyable, even with its goofiness that makes it a bit more tolerable.

Missions take a couple of hours usually.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This game is kicking my fucking teeth in so far and I am on the first mission, the first game was significantly easier for me. I am just not getting the timing right on these burst counters, I get maybe one of every four to work. I'm sure things will click at some point but it has been tough going so far...

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think you'll, probably, understand what's your objective, why are you in that place and why you need to kill the X character, but as I said, the story is nonsensical, and as someone that lacks any real knowledge of japanese history, I kept seeing characters that I barely knew. If your issue is that it is nonexistent, it's not, but I don't think the story is enjoyable, even with its goofiness that makes it a bit more tolerable.
That's disappointing. I'll check out some trailers and streams, but it sounds like I will be skipping this one as well. Thank you for the description.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So what do you have to do to understand the language of the Yokais? Is it a story thing or some kind of skill?

Briar36

Nov 27, 2017
Manhattan
Can people playing on Pros talk about fan noise ? Does the blacksmith still turn your Pro into a jet engine?

I only played through importing my character and the tutorials before having to go to bed last night. When refining the character in the creation menu, my launch Pro sounded exactly like the blacksmith from the original. Loud as shit.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I only played through importing my character and the tutorials before having to go to bed last night. When refining the character in the creation menu, my launch Pro sounded exactly like the blacksmith from the original. Loud as shit.

Damnit. Looks like I'm going to skip it then. Of all the games that made my Pro loud, Nioh was by far the worst.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
In the past 24 hours I've been on the "Buy" page on PSN more than once, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I keep reading about difficulty and I know, despite enjoying the first Nioh (but not being able to finish it), this game probably isn't for me.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I decided to try and summon for help after pounding my head against the wall on Mezuki for a while and we just beat the living shit out of him. The fight was not even remotely fair and felt kinda cheap to be honest but oh well onwards we go...

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
Am waiting here for 15 minutes for someone to join my game, shouldnt take this long.... this boss is kicking my ass. The NPCs always die at the start of the fight...they are pretty much useless for boss fights.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Very disappointing that the player AI summons still suck. What's even the point? I know that they do provide some help vs regular enemies, but Bosses are really where people are going to need help. And yes, I know that you can summon live help, but that requires PS+, which not everyone has. Oh well. No big deal.