• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck raven tengu. Motherfucking punk ass cheating shitbird.

It is known.

JFC, I Yokai Realm With a Companion one of the missions (I forget which one), and what does the game spawn? Not one, not two, but THREE FUCKING SHITBIRDS.

Then, I knew the devs were just shitting with me for giggles. Fuck that mission.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck raven tengu. Motherfucking punk ass cheating shitbird.

It is known.

Yeah, man. F**k those raven tengus.

So, I finally bought the season pass for this. First time ever buying a season pass. I was at the start of Way of the Strong and it looks like I need to complete that to get to the new areas. So, I've just skipped to the end and so far it seems manageable (apart from those stupid bird men). So hopefully I can get to the new areas asap. Excited for more Nioh!

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Unlocking more areas and missions in new difficulties goes as follows:

- Unlock and beat the mission
The Queen's Eyes
which gives you access to the next difficulty, up to Way of the Nioh
- In the new difficulty, the first three regions are available. On the world map (where you can choose regions), there's a mission achievement rate bar at the bottom left that fills up as you, well, clear missions in that difficulty. Story missions fill more of the bar, but you can do any mission in ANY order to fill the gauge up. Every little box filled up means more of the world map is unlocked, as well as specific (sub)missions. Once you unlock the mission I spoilered above, beating that gets you access to the next higher difficulty, and you can repeat the cycle.

1486878502633.jpg

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Unlocking more areas and missions in new difficulties goes as follows:

- Unlock and beat the mission
The Queen's Eyes
which gives you access to the next difficulty, up to Way of the Nioh
- In the new difficulty, the first three regions are available. On the world map (where you can choose regions), there's a mission achievement rate bar at the bottom left that fills up as you, well, clear missions in that difficulty. Story missions fill more of the bar, but you can do any mission in ANY order to fill the gauge up. Every little box filled up means more of the world map is unlocked, as well as specific (sub)missions. Once you unlock the mission I spoilered above, beating that gets you access to the next higher difficulty, and you can repeat the cycle.

1486878502633.jpg

Yeah seems like I've done enough to unlock Omi region. So I am going to attempt the final missions and see if I can get through. I think I will do the expansion content on Way of the Strong and then see where I go from there.

Though I did not know about this Abyss which sounds like it's a dungeon crawl in the game. That sounds like a rad idea.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
You can also just do (sub)missions in any region, not necessarily in the Omi region. I typically clear the first 3 regions because they're just easier than later ones.

Ho ho ho, the Abyss levels are locked to your overall difficulty progress, locking you to specific floors until you reach the difficulty level:

Levels 1-5 = Way of the Samurai
Levels 5-10 = Way of the Strong
Levels 10-15 = Way of the Demon
Levels 15-20 = Way of the Wise
Levels 20+ Way of the Nioh

And the Abyss has its own special rules, debuffs and mechanics, it's great fun, and naturally the best gear in the game drops from its higher (deeper) levels. :) Stuff like this accessory!

ALgU9hH.jpg

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This really depends on what weapon you decide you like best, but there are skills that are global (you buy them in one weapon tree and they unlock in every weapon's tree). I'd definitely start with those because they'll help you in your Ki (stamina) management. These are the skills called "Living Water". There'll be three of them (one for each stance). It lets you ki pulse on dodge. Also, if you haven't learned how or what ki pulsing is, you should definitely do that.
Yes I'm thankfully familiar with Ki Pulse. Living Water doesn't seem to be available at this point... I'll keep playing until it is and put points elsewhere for now. I think I just unlocked the parry...
Some of the parry skills are downright fucking awesome on the enemies they work on, so yeah, they are worth the time to learn. But parry skill and the numerical Parry value of the weapons have nothing do with each other. Like I said, the numerical Parry value of the weapons is literally the same as Stability is in Souls. And yes, you can make it through all of the content without learning to use any of the parry skills. They just make vs human combat so much more fun IMO.
Is parry Block + Attack? If so, I'm getting good at that actually. Weird that the Parry value is like Stability. It's been a while, so the Parry Value of a weapon is essentially it's ability to block & soak up attacks?

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
DLC is totally worth it, though. More difficulties, more missions, 2 new weapons, and the Abyss.

I'll go as far as the combat and ranged options, at least :D I still love me some Bloodborne!

Parry skills make short work of any of the human-sized enemies in this game, and ALL of them can be parried, even (especially) the bosses. They all use the same stances and attacks, outside of Living Weapon specials (FUCK YOU SANADA AND MASAMUNE), and learning those helps you abuse parrying all their shit. If you get good enough, Swords/Dual Swords trivializes human enemies.

Hell, even I can do it, and I'm pants at parrying (Youtube)!

It is good to know that even as I am in Way of the Nioh, raven tengu still kick my face in. Onyudo? Pffft. Oni? Pfft. Ninja dogs? Pffft (bless you 100% ranged damage reduction). RAVEN MOTHERFUCKING TENGU? Ffffuuuuuuuuu
Yeah I couldn't do it lol. Going to buy it today! I spent so long coming up with a build I enjoyed and there is no way I can just stop now.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I'm thankfully familiar with Ki Pulse. Living Water doesn't seem to be available at this point... I'll keep playing until it is and put points elsewhere for now. I think I just unlocked the parry...
Is parry Block + Attack? If so, I'm getting good at that actually. Weird that the Parry value is like Stability. It's been a while, so the Parry Value of a weapon is essentially it's ability to block & soak up attacks?
Generally speaking, yes, the parry skills are usually Block + either light or heavy attack. Different weapons have their own parry skills and some even have somewhat different timings. Then there is also the Backwave, which is more like a just-frame block, available for the katana. And yes, the parry value is inversely proportionate to the Ki-loss you take when blocking. The more you have, the less Ki you lose when blocking.

As for the Living Water skills, they are available right out of the gate. You need to pick the prerequisite skills, as with any skill tree, but they are available as soon as you start the first mission in Japan.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Let me just repost this, since I never got a response.

For those who already owned Nioh before importing the physical Complete Edition from Asia, is the save file for the non-Asian game compatible with it? It be much help for me if I would know this (especially considering that all the content is on disc for that version over there).

Dubz

Nov 3, 2017
Los Angeles
Just got back into the game after a long layoff. I'm level 66 and need to get up to about 75 for the missions I need to do. What's the best place to grind around my level?

EDIT: I've also forgotten how to do a "super". The flashy move that is tied to your spirit animal. If someone could post how to do that I'd appreciate it.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like I didn't need to complete the QE just unlock it to get to the new areas. I did a few more sub missions and QE unlocked and the expansion regions were available straight away. Probably going to get stomped at my level but at least I'll be getting stomped by the new sh*t ha ha. Already stuff is hitting pretty hard... feels like the beta.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Let me just repost this, since I never got a response.

I unfortunately do not know, since I have never bought the physical versions :( I hope someone can help.

Just got back into the game after a long layoff. I'm level 66 and need to get up to about 75 for the missions I need to do. What's the best place to grind around my level?

EDIT: I've also forgotten how to do a "super". The flashy move that is tied to your spirit animal. If someone could post how to do that I'd appreciate it.

Assuming you are using the default controls, circle+triangle on PS4.

Seems like I didn't need to complete the QE just unlock it to get to the new areas. I did a few more sub missions and QE unlocked and the expansion regions were available straight away. Probably going to get stomped at my level but at least I'll be getting stomped by the new sh*t ha ha. Already stuff is hitting pretty hard... feels like the beta.

The DLC enemies and bosses are pretty legit. Especially the bosses. Whoo.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, they weren't messing around when they did the DLC bosses. Makes the main game look easy by comparison! Though I think I've gotten the hang of most of them. Unless DLC3 ups the difficulty further yet again, in which case I'm doomed!

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, they weren't messing around when they did the DLC bosses. Makes the main game look easy by comparison! Though I think I've gotten the hang of most of them. Unless DLC3 ups the difficulty further yet again, in which case I'm doomed!

One can debate the difficulty, but the final boss fight of DLC3 is one glorious spectacle. Don't skip the any of the cutscenes for that boss fight!

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
Grinding Tatenashi smithing text. I can do the whole level in 3 minutes now. Not sure if I should be proud of that...

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
This sucks. Several hours and nothing. I don't understand the reason for the grind. Make sets text available to buy for crazy high prices after defeating required bosses. At least then I'd know I was going to get it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. Several hours and nothing. I don't understand the reason for the grind. Make sets text available to buy for crazy high prices after defeating required bosses. At least then I'd know I was going to get it.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I wanted dual wooden swords for one trophy but can't get them to drop. Really wish I could just buy them already :(

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017

I am assuming you are running Return of the Gourd on WotSamurai? There are ways to speed the grind - equipping the proper Guardian spirits, as well as boosting the drop chances of items, not equipment via the Kodama Blessing, and your gear. It's never easy, I admit, and there's an Abyss run you can do for any smithing text in the game, but that is also luck-based.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I wanted dual wooden swords for one trophy but can't get them to drop. Really wish I could just buy them already :(

Dual Wooden Swords? I think I got those either off of grinding the Dual Swords master in the dojo for his armor and weapon texts, or via the Marobashi sub-mission.

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

I don't think I have a hope in hell against whatever boss is at the end of that. I was getting one shot by just about everything and it was a struggle to even cross the mini lake. Think I might be too under-levelled for this but we'll see how it goes.

Has the DLC ever been on sale? I'd love to get it as a deal.

I bought the season pass for ten quid. It was on sale at the end of last year as well.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Defeated the first DLC boss, but he basically one shotted me with every attack, so what is the best way to get some better gear/levels? Or should i just press on?

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I have a hope in hell against whatever boss is at the end of that. I was getting one shot by just about everything and it was a struggle to even cross the mini lake. Think I might be too under-levelled for this but we'll see how it goes.

It's more likely that your gear is underleveled, (the cap in NG is divine gear ilvl150 +10 for equipment and weapons) or you're not playing to the strengths of the itemization, like maximizing set bonuses and synergies. At this point you should have a look at what weapon you main, and tailor your items towards it. You could easily get a major increase in both offense and defense potential, depending on your choices.

For example, if you really like Swords, then having a sword that is at the highest lvl you can get currently and has the following traits on it is immensely helpful:
- Change to Attack (Heart) A
- Close Combat Damage 15%
- Familiarity Bonus Damage A
- Weaken Armor (Torso) or Weaken Melee weapons xx%
- Either a boost to a specific skill like Iai Quickdraw or Flowing Shadow (Forging or drops only) or an element on it

With regards to defense, wearing light armor really, really dumpsters on your damage reduction, you WILL get one-shot - it means maximising set bonus synergies to one-shot enemies, and perfect play, because you don't get second chances once your Quickchange scrolls run out.

You can do it!

Defeated the first DLC boss, but he basically one shotted me with every attack, so what is the best way to get some better gear/levels? Or should i just press on?

If you mean
Date Shigezane / Mr. Centipede
, then yeah, he hits like a truck, though sticking to his right side and blocking instead of dodging is pretty good for survivability. The only attack string you should run/dodge back from is his grab and his multi-hit berserk swings, which has immense reach, so beware. He has predictable attacks, so you can abuse those for breathing room or punishing. He's a pretty cool boss.

For better gear, I would recommend cheesing the fuck out of the Tokai region sub-mission Marobashi. It does require some set up, though.

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
It's more likely that your gear is underleveled, (the cap in NG is divine gear ilvl150 +10 for equipment and weapons) or you're not playing to the strengths of the itemization, like maximizing set bonuses and synergies. At this point you should have a look at what weapon you main, and tailor your items towards it. You could easily get a major increase in both offense and defense potential, depending on your choices.

For example, if you really like Swords, then having a sword that is at the highest lvl you can get currently and has the following traits on it is immensely helpful:
- Change to Attack (Heart) A
- Close Combat Damage 15%
- Familiarity Bonus Damage A
- Weaken Armor (Torso) or Weaken Melee weapons xx%
- Either a boost to a specific skill like Iai Quickdraw or Flowing Shadow (Forging or drops only) or an element on it

With regards to defense, wearing light armor really, really dumpsters on your damage reduction, you WILL get one-shot - it means maximising set bonus synergies to one-shot enemies, and perfect play, because you don't get second chances once your Quickchange scrolls run out.

You can do it!

Thanks for the tips. My offence is fine and the damage is decent. Initially I was trying out some new odachi I picked up and things went badly so I went back to my trusty katana +3. It has change to attack (skill) A, Close combat damage, familiarity etc and does it's job well. Where I am having problems is that I make one mistake in blocking or evading and I'm dead. I will press on for now since I am making progress but the struggle is real. Also factor in that I haven't played this since I beat the main game at launch so I'm pretty rusty. So there is an element of getting gud that needs to happen (and I think... hope it's happening).

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips. My offence is fine and the damage is decent. Initially I was trying out some new odachi I picked up and things went badly so I went back to my trusty katana +3. It has change to attack (skill) A, Close combat damage, familiarity etc and does it's job well. Where I am having problems is that I make one mistake in blocking or evading and I'm dead. I will press on for now since I am making progress but the struggle is real. Also factor in that I haven't played this since I beat the main game at launch so I'm pretty rusty. So there is an element of getting gud that needs to happen (and I think... hope it's happening).
I have the same issue. The game is very unforgiving. Enemies and especially bosses can kill you with their one hit attacks or combos. its very frustrating.

I recorded this video yesterday because its gotten almost comical at this point.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
I have the same issue. The game is very unforgiving. Enemies and especially bosses can kill you with their one hit attacks or combos. its very frustrating.

I recorded this video yesterday because its gotten almost comical at this point.

Haha, the Red Demon. I see you got tagged by his Guardian talisman attack. Welcome to the club! Some comments:

I like that you're abusing the Heaven and Earth skill that is only available in high-stance, and you were animation locked to it and he nailed you with his Guardian spirit skill. That is just bad luck (and I've been nailed by that before, myself), and something you have to deal with when using an axe on humanoid bosses. I do have some comments regarding this overall, though:

- Shoot him in the head just inside the dojo - it's free damage, makes him crumple to the ground and you get a free ground strike
- Considering your damage output, you might be better off using Weakness instead of Sloth, it makes the most of your hits with Heaven and Earth
- Use the small spirit stones you get everywhere to charge up your Living Weapon before shooting him in the head like the samurai you are, AND USE YOUR LIVING WEAPON
- Since you are using an axe which has no parry abilities, you will counter-intuitively have to play even more keep-away than you already were - his reach is longer than yours, his hits are faster than yours, so you cannot just keep hammering on him because he will toss out his guardian spirit which gives him hyper-armor. Consider swapping to mid-stance and blocking or low-stance and dodging until he goes into spear high-stance, which has slow, easily predicted attacks
- If you don't mind re-speccing, he can be totally trivialized with Paralytic Groundfire from the Ninjutsu skill tree

The DLC is definitely scaled to the next higher difficulty tier, and it is also an idea to hit up the Marobashi sub-mission and farm gear. +3 on your stuff is not enough, especially if you are wearing light/medium armor without synergizing set bonuses.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017

Beside what Silav101 has already mentioned above, I would really recommend learning to stance switch on the fly (and making a habit of actually using the good points of each stance) and avoid both blocking and dodging while in high stance unless absolutely necessary. High stance is great for some things, but it is terrible where defensive actions are concerned. Especially with axes as they aren't too hot for blocking in the first place. The dodges are better in mid and low stance and you lose less Ki when blocking in mid stance. I'd also ditch the Sloth talisman. They can be great in nullifying bosses in a way, but the sluggishness can also make you misread moves or timings.

And when you have the enemy in zero Ki-state, I'd actually avoid using the grapple. It is easily the least damaging thing you could be doing there. You can get much better mileage out of the stun if you light attack him a time or two to make him fall to the ground and circle to his back. From there you can either do the ground stabby version of the grab (Though I think the axe type version was pretty low damage, maybe avoid it) and/or wait for him to start getting up and smash him in the back with a combo. You'll deal 2-3 times the damage that way.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beside what Silav101 has already mentioned above, I would really recommend learning to stance switch on the fly (and making a habit of actually using the good points of each stance) and avoid both blocking and dodging while in high stance unless absolutely necessary. High stance is great for some things, but it is terrible where defensive actions are concerned. Especially with axes as they aren't too hot for blocking in the first place. The dodges are better in mid and low stance and you lose less Ki when blocking in mid stance. I'd also ditch the Sloth talisman. They can be great in nullifying bosses in a way, but the sluggishness can also make you misread moves or timings.

And when you have the enemy in zero Ki-state, I'd actually avoid using the grapple. It is easily the least damaging thing you could be doing there. You can get much better mileage out of the stun if you light attack him a time or two to make him fall to the ground and circle to his back. From there you can either do the ground stabby version of the grab (Though I think the axe type version was pretty low damage, maybe avoid it) and/or wait for him to start getting up and smash him in the back with a combo. You'll deal 2-3 times the damage that way.
Thanks for the tips! I ended up switching to low stance on the next try to beat him on the very next try. I pretty much stick to low stance for human enemies and especially bosses. Here i was using sloth for the first time on a human enemy and couldnt believe how easy it made the fight. I wasted like two hours on the first 1v1 human boss fight in that side mission in the fields. Sloth changes everything.

Haha, the Red Demon. I see you got tagged by his Guardian talisman attack. Welcome to the club! Some comments:

I like that you're abusing the Heaven and Earth skill that is only available in high-stance, and you were animation locked to it and he nailed you with his Guardian spirit skill. That is just bad luck (and I've been nailed by that before, myself), and something you have to deal with when using an axe on humanoid bosses. I do have some comments regarding this overall, though:

- Shoot him in the head just inside the dojo - it's free damage, makes him crumple to the ground and you get a free ground strike
- Considering your damage output, you might be better off using Weakness instead of Sloth, it makes the most of your hits with Heaven and Earth
- Use the small spirit stones you get everywhere to charge up your Living Weapon before shooting him in the head like the samurai you are, AND USE YOUR LIVING WEAPON
- Since you are using an axe which has no parry abilities, you will counter-intuitively have to play even more keep-away than you already were - his reach is longer than yours, his hits are faster than yours, so you cannot just keep hammering on him because he will toss out his guardian spirit which gives him hyper-armor. Consider swapping to mid-stance and blocking or low-stance and dodging until he goes into spear high-stance, which has slow, easily predicted attacks
- If you don't mind re-speccing, he can be totally trivialized with Paralytic Groundfire from the Ninjutsu skill tree
Thanks for the comments. I am still trying to wrap my head around all these different systems in the game despite having put in like 25 hours into the game. And yeah, on my second run i sniped him before i went in. This was my first run and i couldnt believe how quickly he aggro'd.

I am still not sure what Living Weapon is. I thought Living Weapon was the super you go when you filled the Amrita gauge. I had no idea you could use spirit stones to charge up Living Weapon. I used them to get souls.

I really dont like the midstance with the axe. Its a slow winding attack that takes forever to finish and doesnt do much damage. it just doesnt fit my playstyle. I usually stick to low stance against human enemies because they are so fast and agile.

I havent invested anything in the Ninjustsu skill. I went through all the skills and couldnt think of a single one i wanted over the omnyo magic ones I have.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the comments. I am still trying to wrap my head around all these different systems in the game despite having put in like 25 hours into the game. And yeah, on my second run i sniped him before i went in. This was my first run and i couldnt believe how quickly he aggro'd.

I am still not sure what Living Weapon is. I thought Living Weapon was the super you go when you filled the Amrita gauge. I had no idea you could use spirit stones to charge up Living Weapon. I used them to get souls.

I really dont like the midstance with the axe. Its a slow winding attack that takes forever to finish and doesnt do much damage. it just doesnt fit my playstyle. I usually stick to low stance against human enemies because they are so fast and agile.

I havent invested anything in the Ninjustsu skill. I went through all the skills and couldnt think of a single one i wanted over the omnyo magic ones I have.

Living Weapon is indeed the special state you go into when your amrita gauge is full. It has all sorts of properties, the most important of which is you are immortal as long as the LW gauge isn't depleted, as well as having hyper-armor when attacking (aside from the elemental damage and general attack boost, and looking all sorts of badass). The consumables you get that give amrita are more useful for charging LW before a boss fight, as amrita farming is really rather easy in this game. At the highest difficulty, you can get 80 billion amrita in 5 minutes, so use those stones and Living Weapon whenever you can!

Ninjutsu has AMAZING skills. Some essential ones are the Quickchange scroll, which when used lets you auto-resurrect from dying once as long as the buff is active, Medicine Man which allows you to carry 3 more elixirs over your current regional max (total of 11 elixirs with all kodama boosts), 3 skills that let you carry more ammo for the ranged weapons, and the hilariously strong Paralytic Groundfire.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
The DLC is definitely scaled to the next higher difficulty tier, and it is also an idea to hit up the Marobashi sub-mission and farm gear. +3 on your stuff is not enough, especially if you are wearing light/medium armor without synergizing set bonuses.

Yeah I feel like what I have right now is not enough. I used to rely on farming revenants for gear but that seems to be a waste of time now. I hate that they gutted that system. What is this Marobashi sub mission? It doesn't ring a bell...

I was hoping to see some new gear sets and stuff but so far there hasn't been anything I've seen except One-Eyed Demon.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I feel like what I have right now is not enough. I used to rely on farming revenants for gear but that seems to be a waste of time now. I hate that they gutted that system. What is this Marobashi sub mission? It doesn't ring a bell...

I was hoping to see some new gear sets and stuff but so far there hasn't been anything I've seen except One-Eyed Demon.

The DLC has multiple new sets, iirc. Date's set is one of them, and the other bosses have their own, as well.

Marobashi is a sub-mission in the Tokai region. It's unlocked by clearing the Spear and Sword masters in the Dojo, then doing the sub-mission The Two Masters that is unlocked. Finishing those two gets you Marobashi.

Marobashi pits you against the 5 main weapon masters + a lackey lol, one after the other. It's hilariously easy to cheese, and the bosses will all drop gear like a pinata festival, as my pic shows.The gear that drops is also pretty high level in that difficulty.

Edit: Lord heavens, copying a screenshot from the PS4 totally shits on its image quality.

imvg0gW.jpg

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The DLC has multiple new sets, iirc. Date's set is one of them, and the other bosses have their own, as well.

Marobashi is a sub-mission in the Tokai region. It's unlocked by clearing the Spear and Sword masters in the Dojo, then doing the sub-mission The Two Masters that is unlocked. Finishing those two gets you Marobashi.

Marobashi pits you against the 5 main weapon masters + a lackey lol, one after the other. It's hilariously easy to cheese, and the bosses will all drop gear like a pinata festival, as my pic shows.The gear that drops is also pretty high level in that difficulty.

Edit: Lord heavens, copying a screenshot from the PS4 totally shits on its image quality.

imvg0gW.jpg
LOL those Christmas lights. Wow.

As for quality, you can save your shots as PNG to keep the quality.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DLC recommends 160+ level, so i assume that means 160+ gear as well? But you can only get 150 level gear with default difficulty. How am i supposed to get better gear without shit ton of grinding?

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
So uhh...that Way of the Demon eh? Switched to an axe build with tatenashi for survivability but I still die pretty quick. Sucks my kunai build is basically obsolete in this difficulty. I went through Way of the Strong in an afternoon with it.

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017
DLC recommends 160+ level, so i assume that means 160+ gear as well? But you can only get 150 level gear with default difficulty. How am i supposed to get better gear without shit ton of grinding?

You and your gear will always be lower level than the "recommended" level it puts on missions. That's not something you should really pay any mind to. Endgame gear is level 310-320 and there are missions with recommended levels of over a thousand.

On the highest difficulty, in the 3rd dlc the last missions are all over level 1100. My gear is level 300 and my character is level 658 and I can do these missions.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017

Like AmethystEnd said, recommended level means pretty much nothing, as damage and defenses (aside from health, of course) are very gear dependent, and gear has no required level limit. A level 1 Wirriamu can destroy WotN assuming he doesn't get hit. It would be pretty boring though, with limited skills haha.

So uhh...that Way of the Demon eh? Switched to an axe build with tatenashi for survivability but I still die pretty quick. Sucks my kunai build is basically obsolete in this difficulty. I went through Way of the Strong in an afternoon with it.

Not at all. Ninjutsu ranged weapons builds are stupidly strong even until the final floor of the Abyss, but require very specific gear (such as Thrown Weapon Damage x2 xx% on your gloves, Dragon Ninja set, for example). Axe+tatenashi is ok, but to build a proper tank setup you'll also need specific gear and perks (Ranged Firearms Damage reduction 100%, Dash Attack (Nullify Damage), and more). Generally speaking, axe builds are very non-YOLO, without prep.

You and your gear will always be lower level than the "recommended" level it puts on missions. That's not something you should really pay any mind to. Endgame gear is level 310-320 and there are missions with recommended levels of over a thousand.

On the highest difficulty, in the 3rd dlc the last missions are all over level 1100. My gear is level 300 and my character is level 658 and I can do these missions.

JFC ilvl300. I AM ALMOST THERE, SENPAI.

Last edited:

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017
JFC ilvl300. I AM ALMOST THERE, SENPAI.

Hell yeah man. To be more specific my dual katana are level 310 ethereal +45, my matchlock and bow are ethereal 310 +40, and all my armor is ethereal 310 +40. I haven't played in about a month though and with Monster Hunter World coming out in 2 weeks I probably won't make much more progress for a long while.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

imvg0gW.jpg

You really weren't kidding on how easy it was to get gear here. I'm only on the second difficulty (brave) and am about 100 levels below the enemy level, but gave it a shot anyway. Got a ton of XP and enough equipment to push up most weapons and armor up to +9/+10. Its even easier than grinding the Abyss. I think I'm going to abuse this mission a bit more, just for some easy gear/experience!

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yeah man. To be more specific my dual katana are level 310 ethereal +45, my matchlock and bow are ethereal 310 +40, and all my armor is ethereal 310 +40. I haven't played in about a month though and with Monster Hunter World coming out in 2 weeks I probably won't make much more progress for a long while.

Oof, my highest tier gear is 279 +35, gotta git gudder haha. Am skipping MHW for the start, myself, just not enough time, whereas Nioh levels are easily done. :(

You really weren't kidding on how easy it was to get gear here. I'm only on the second difficulty (brave) and am about 100 levels below the enemy level, but gave it a shot anyway. Got a ton of XP and enough equipment to push up most weapons and armor up to +9/+10. Its even easier than grinding the Abyss. I think I'm going to abuse this mission a bit more, just for some easy gear/experience!

Oh, I try to speed myself to this sub-mission in every difficulty, bar none best farming ground for gear, and trivial to cheese. :) Happy to see my tips helped ya out! On to the next difficulty for you!

LOL those Christmas lights. Wow.

As for quality, you can save your shots as PNG to keep the quality.

It feels like Christmas every time I clear Marobashi :D I had the base screenshot set to png, but copying to usb, it decided to convert it to jpg anyways, I need to find the setting to turn that off.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I try to speed myself to this sub-mission in every difficulty, bar none best farming ground for gear, and trivial to cheese. :) Happy to see my tips helped ya out! On to the next difficulty for you!

Speaking of higher difficulties, what's the method to unlocking them? It'd be nice to be able to have them unlocked to be able to hit higher Abyss levels as well.

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of higher difficulties, what's the method to unlocking them? It'd be nice to be able to have them unlocked to be able to hit higher Abyss levels as well.

Clear enough of the regions to unlock the final mission of the base game again and clear that final mission. It doesn't take much clearing (less than 3 full regions by my estimate) to get access to that final mission so it's easy to rush.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Clear enough of the regions to unlock the final mission of the base game again and clear that final mission. It doesn't take much clearing (less than 3 full regions by my estimate) to get access to that final mission so it's easy to rush.
Cool, thanks for the info. I've been replaying missions anyway, so I'm probably most of the way there to unlocking the next difficulty.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno the ilvl cap of Marobashi in Way of the Nioh - But since I can't steamroll through the Abyss levels at my current difficulty, it's likely still the best thing for gear for me.

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

imvg0gW.jpg

Hmmm... seems I only have the first dojo mission available. I guess I need to do some main story missions to unlock the rest. Anyways, I've reconciled myself to levelling/gearing up a bit before tackling Dragon of the North. You say +3 on everything is not enough but I didn't even have +3 on everything :(. So I've been cherry-picking side missions and some main ones in the base game and putting the blacksmith to work. My situation is improving.

Yeah this sucks but yesterday I discovered there is a clan perk which will prevent you from getting one-shot like this.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm... seems I only have the first dojo mission available. I guess I need to do some main story missions to unlock the rest. Anyways, I've reconciled myself to levelling/gearing up a bit before tackling Dragon of the North. You say +3 on everything is not enough but I didn't even have +3 on everything :(. So I've been cherry-picking side missions and some main ones in the base game and putting the blacksmith to work. My situation is improving.

Awesome. The dojo missions only appear if you meet certain requirements, and they're typically proficiency in the weapon types, and for Onmyo and Ninjutsu, having enough points in Magic or Dexterity. They're also only available in the base difficulty, I've never seen them available in any of the higher difficulty levels.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
I believe they (or at least, some of them?) appear when you complete an entire region in said difficulty.

Only the first two, which are the basic tutorial missions. The rest of the dojo missions are only available for me on the base difficulty, which makes sense because if they were there on higher difficulties, they would scale the damage, defenses and hp of the encounter, and there you would be, stuck with no armor, no items, a wooden weapon, and 3 elixirs...

But if I am wrong, someone who knows better please chime in!