fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
By that logic so is the CS1/2 ports coming to PS4 and the CS1/2 games on PS3. I mean the only way to play the whole series is on PC so you are pretty much saying that any release besides PC would be pointless. That's not even including the two games that were not localized which can only be played through fan translations.
It's dumb logic anyway given the market doesn't care. Ys VIII references past games too and sold great on PS4 and Switch.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Between the KFG Showcase and The Game Awards, next week is shaping up to have some fantastic announcements from a huge variety of devs. It's going to be like a mini-E3 in December, and I love it.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
It's dumb logic anyway given the market doesn't care. Ys VIII references past games too and sold great on PS4 and Switch.
Eh, YSVIII has nods to previous games. It is no where near comparable to CS3/4 which directly connected with the rest of the series. Still, Switch ports of the CS series are absolutely possible and honestly likely considering the success of YS.

EDIT: Also, the slower pace of the turn based combat is more suitable than YS was for the Switch. I owned both versions of YSVIII and I have to say that I could not stand the framerate and shimmering issue on the switch.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea if this will be CS3 or not but anyone thinking XSEED will still be publishing it really should be prepared for just about anything else at this point.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I know, right!

And now jbug's gone and made me hungry....
BEleZ.gif

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
People should really try to come to terms with XSEED likely not being the publisher of Cold Steel 3, regardless of whether or not NISA will be the ones to get hold of it.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
People should really try to come to terms with XSEED likely not being the publisher of Cold Steel 3, regardless of whether or not NISA will be the ones to get hold of it.

Why though? Both CS 1 and 2 were released around 2y after its jp release and the announcement for that was usually a few months before that.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Main thing is that XSEED had two major departures of people who worked on the series previously. In the case of one of them Brittney Avery is a massive Trails fan and deeply involved in the localization of several of the games and I and others have a hard time believing she'd leave now if XSEED was the one publishing it.

Besides that NISA outbid XSEED for Ys VIII and despite the horrible localization job they did Falcom didn't seem to care at all from statements they've made. There have been people suggesting NISA could be the one to get the localization for CS3 since CS3 came out in Japan last year but even recently there have been rumors suggesting things from NISA certainly has it to XSEED and NISA were in a bidding war at one point to neither of them has it and some other company does.

At this point while we don't know anything for certain there is enough there to suggest XSEED is not the ones doing the localization. I'm not saying its a sure thing by any means but as I said, I'd be prepared for it not to be XSEED. NISA could be it, it could be someone else, I have absolutely no idea but I think XSEED is the least likely at this point, even with them doing the PS4 ports of CS1 and 2.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously. All their translations feel the same. I really dont see what people find so appealing about them. They are very dry and very repetitive.
I dunno, I'm in the middle of play Tokyo Xanadu and while I'm enjoying it it definitely feels more flat than the Trails in the Sky games. Though my understanding is that XSEED actually passed on it so maybe its more to do with the game itself than the translation.

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I'm in the middle of play Tokyo Xanadu and while I'm enjoying it it definitely feels more flat than the Trails in the Sky games. Though my understanding is that XSEED actually passed on it so maybe its more to do with the game itself than the translation.

I havent played Tokyo Xanadu yet (I am gonna play it after I finish Ys Memories of Celceta on PC) but man does Celcetas translation feel dry. It feels like the exact same thing as the other Ys titles XSEED does. I actually feel like VIII has more personality to it, though that might be due to more voice acting and better characters.

I also find Trails 1 translation to have the same exact issues, except they are exemplified by 1000 due to the stupid amount of text in them.

Also as a pet peeve, the amount of times XSEED uses "At any rate" is so distracting, hahahaha.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, they passed on it because it was a Vita exclusive back then and they had already stopped localizing Vita exclusives by that point. They skipped Valkyrie Drive, Net High and Luminous Arc Infinity, and those were all published by Marvelous in Japan.