• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Not my main PC, but 4790K + 960 @ 1080p, low/off everything. This is ass, even capped at 30. LOL But I'm still having a pretty good time.

If NMS was installed on this PC before try uninstalling and re-installing. Helped out a lot for me. I have a weaker CPU, but a better GPU (1070), and I was getting sub 30 FPS. After re-installing it has been smooth on high/ultra.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I was having an awful amount of stuttering with 6700k and 1080gtx, but following this guide it has seemingly stopped. It was probably the combination of texture memory and cpu thread count settings that was causing the stutters, since texture memory was set to 64kb and max thread count to 2 for some weird reason. JaseC

Thanks I'll try this when i get home and see if it helps.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
CreditingChanser

Using this tweak I went from 30 and below frames to 60+. Before this, it would default to 30 fps on planets no matter what frames setting you'd choose.

The only thing that remains is that playing this on 1440p it's still a bunch of jaggies and low resolution UI.
this work with gsync?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If NMS was installed on this PC before try uninstalling and re-installing. Helped out a lot for me. I have a weaker CPU, but a better GPU (1070), and I was getting sub 30 FPS. After re-installing it has been smooth on high/ultra.
Umm, wow... that helped a lot! Obviously not going to be perfect on this GPU, but it's like night and day now, and I can even turn up details, etc. Thanks!

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I was having an awful amount of stuttering with 6700k and 1080gtx, but following this guide it has seemingly stopped. It was probably the combination of texture memory and cpu thread count settings that was causing the stutters, since texture memory was set to 64kb and max thread count to 2 for some weird reason. JaseC

That guide makes the stuttering way worse for me. By default I get a 1 or 2 second full on pause every minute or so with that its doubled. This is with a 4690k and a 1080gtx. I can see there's something wrong with the gpu usage its fluctuating up and down like crazy.

The games is unplayable for me, its disappointing because the other changes are great.

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought a 1070 too and this is the first have I've had serious fps issues with.
I thought it may of been my old i7-2600 cutting the dips in some areas, but it seems that many others are experiencing the same problem with a much better CPU..
The game looks gorgeous though and I'll need to try some tips in this thread to see if I can slightly improve things. Either way it's good to be back NMS.

curlycare

Oct 27, 2017
That guide makes the stuttering way worse for me. By default I get a 1 or 2 second full on pause every minute or so with that its doubled. This is with a 4690k and a 1080gtx. I can see there's something wrong with the gpu usage its fluctuating up and down like crazy.

The games is unplayable for me, its disappointing because the other changes are great.
Yeah still stutters in space for me, though less on planet surface. Also theres some weird mistakes in the guide like the 8GB - 8192 Kb conversion, so maybe better to wait for a patch.

Might aswell try and reinstall it completely to see if it helps.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Another popular FPS boosting mod has a NEXT update: NoFade.

Here's a video of what it does (from Pathfinder update). First half of the video is vanilla, second is with the mod installed. It makes the LOD transitions instant rather than faded, which can massively boost framerates during flight.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
GTX 970, i5-6600k overclocked to 4.4

game running smooth as silk for me, default settings but increased FOV and the max FPS to max, getting about high 60s into 80s

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
My experience with it so far:

Bought the game, installed it, hit play. Took 10 minutes to "load shaders" while running single digits FPS and then it dumped me somewhere with some weird stutters. I hit the graphics action and changed it to borderless. Game instantly crashed, when I try to start it up again steam claims it's still running. Can't find the process in the task manager...what is it called? lol

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm prepared to give this game another chance but not if I'm going to be struggling to get 60fps in a 6600/1070. The 1X sounds like it has a decent performance mode but I'm paying full price for a 2 year old game.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Been running this game since launch and I don't think I've ever gotten a solid 60fps on my 1070.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Umm, wow... that helped a lot! Obviously not going to be perfect on this GPU, but it's like night and day now, and I can even turn up details, etc. Thanks!
What settings are you running at? I have a similar powered card (GTX 760) and I'm debating whether to get on PC or PS4, my card should be able to run higher than the PS4 but I've seen mixed reception to this port in terms of optimisation, was wondering what settings you're running at to maintain a steady 30fps.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm prepared to give this game another chance but not if I'm going to be struggling to get 60fps in a 6600/1070. The 1X sounds like it has a decent performance mode but I'm paying full price for a 2 year old game.
Im getting 60s on a 970 and oc'd i5-6600k, so you should be fine

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz, 1070, 16GB RAM

Seeing terrible FPS since Next. First planet barely got over 50 fps at any point with High textures, med shadows, low reflections, no light shafts, and HBAO on. Not sure what I can do at this point, but I feel like I should get better performance than this, even with my aging CPU.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Drops to the 40s are becoming increasingly common. And if I lock it to 30, it stutters. Oh, no mans sky.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Playing everything on high at 1080p on an it 7600 1070ti 16 gigs.

Constant stutters from 50-60fps when moving around. Solid 60 when not moving.

It seems like the streaming causes constant stutter. I even brought all the settings to medium, and it has the same stutter.

Very annoying.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone playing this on a shitbox? I've still got a 2500k paired with a 1050ti. Wouldn't mind checking out the multi but I'd probably rather double-dip on PC rather than buy PS+.
I have almost exactly the same PC, a 2500K and a 980. Anyone here able to give me a hint as to how it'll run? Already got it on (launch) PS4, just wondering if my PC will get 60fps with at least the same graphics settings @ 1080p.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So when editing that texture page file size in the options, should I be use the dedicated video memory or the total available? The actual dedicated VRAM, right?
b3a01c4355.jpg

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Getting similar results here:

i5 8400
gtx 1070 (over clocked slightly)
16gig ram

I just cannot keep a stable fps. Granted this is with everything maxed out (vsync turned off) at 1440p, but the game just doesn't want to stay at 60 fps. It mostly runs between 53-71, and bottoms for a brief second when entering a planets atmosphere at around 40-42 fps.

Setting it to 1080p gives me similar numbers (raising the average slightly, but still never keeping a constant 60), and trying all of the tricks I have read online hasn't worked....so I just locked it at 30 fps.

Annoyed at the moment.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm getting locks to 30fps. i will get about 60fps but when i turn the camera it drops and locks to 30fps. this is with vsync enabled through nvidia control panel. fast/adaptive sync i'm not using because i can't stand screen tearing. i've lowered settings to medium for shadow/reflection. textures are at high. 1440p resolution. x16 af, hbao on. light shafts on.

i have a 6700K/16GB/1070 with latest drivers. it's just not a pleasant experience at all. i've uninstalled it because i'm not playing it like this. performance was decent before this update because i had been playing it with no issue.

Mar 17, 2018
Just bought a 1070 too and this is the first have I've had serious fps issues with.
I thought it may of been my old i7-2600 cutting the dips in some areas, but it seems that many others are experiencing the same problem with a much better CPU..
The game looks gorgeous though and I'll need to try some tips in this thread to see if I can slightly improve things. Either way it's good to be back NMS.

Yeah, it runs like shit. I hope they can optimize a bit. It's playable, but I already am thinking about waiting for a 1170 or whatever.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
i'm getting locks to 30fps. i will get about 60fps but when i turn the camera it drops and locks to 30fps. this is with vsync enabled through nvidia control panel. fast/adaptive sync i'm not using because i can't stand screen tearing. i've lowered settings to medium for shadow/reflection. textures are at high. 1440p resolution. x16 af, hbao on. light shafts on.

i have a 6700K/16GB/1070 with latest drivers. it's just not a pleasant experience at all. i've uninstalled it because i'm not playing it like this. performance was decent before this update because i had been playing it with no issue.

Curious if reinstalling would help. Another user mentioned above that his was better after uninstall/ reinstall, because he had it installed before the update.

Same for me, I think I'm going to uninstall and reinstall and see what happens.

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
Quoting myself from an old neogaf performance thread, but this should help fix stuttering if you have an NVIDIA GPU. Helped me tremendously on a 2600k/980ti setup.
I was able to fix my stuttering by turning on triple buffering and setting vsync to adaptive in the NVIDA control panel settings for NMS. In game I turned on vsync and set the game to borderless fullscreen.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
game run pretty ass on my GTX1060 and i5 3570k, with shadows and reflections to low I can get it to 60fps without maxing out my gpu usage but there're still too much stuttering, and having to restart the game changing settings is kind of annoying. I'll mess around with it some other time when my friend has free time to play and hopefully there'll be some performance patches.

Last edited:

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Curious if reinstalling would help. Another user mentioned above that his was better after uninstall/ reinstall, because he had it installed before the update.

Same for me, I think I'm going to uninstall and reinstall and see what happens.
It's worth a try as the download isn't huge, but didn't really make a difference for me. Same FPS before/after the patch really. Usually just below 50fps to around 60 on planets on a 1070/4770k. This is at 1440p.

Just make sure you manually delete the Shadercache folder as it's left over after deleting the game. I had files in there dating back to 2016, but deleting everything still didn't really seem to make a difference performance wise.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
i7 6700K @ 4.3ghz
GTX 980 8GB
16GB DDR4
SSD

Playing at 1080p with G-sync locked at 75FPS. Zero performance issues, so far as graphics go. All settings maxed except Motion Blur, which is disabled because I hate motion blur.

Silky smooth for me.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
stock i5-4670k
GTX 970 oc'd
16gb RAM

I have trouble hitting 60fps with everything on High but it runs so much better than at launch.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
It's worth a try as the download isn't huge, but didn't really make a difference for me. Same FPS before/after the patch really. Usually just below 50fps to around 60 on planets on a 1070/4770k. This is at 1440p.

Just make sure you manually delete the Shadercache folder as it's left over after deleting the game. I had files in there dating back to 2016, but deleting everything still didn't really seem to make a difference performance wise.

This is surprising to me.

I'm on a 1080 and 6700K and get nowhere near 50 fps on planets quite often.