Oct 26, 2017
We just had our first case confirmed here in Reno Nevada. I work at a financial institution too so I'm sure it's a matter of time before someone at our credit union gets it. Man this sucks, I don't even know what to do.

dryz

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, he asked the health commission what to do as soon as he came back and they told him "you weren't in the at-risk area, you're fine".
(he was at a resort 30 km from the quarantine)

He had to get tested on his own initiative, otherwise nobody would even know he's infected.

Fuck the health commission for sure. They are terrible at handling it. But he still shouldn't have worked if he had symptoms imo.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
It's finally arrived in my county (Tayside, Scotland) and I am due to fly back there towards the end of next month. Meanwhile cases are finally beginning to emerge in India, where I am currently living and for the first time I am feeling apprehensive about travelling back and risking infection/flight cancellations

Considering phoning my embassy for advice because I am unsure what to do; nothing has been booked yet and I am considering leaving earlier/later than planned to avoid any serious issues. My girlfriend lives here and I have time off university so I want to make the most of it, my Visa expires in mid-June. Unsure how to proceed and not necessarily looking for advice either, just an opportunity to talk about it without alarming my family/friends/SO.

Oct 25, 2017
Danish prime minister just had a press conference where she talked about new precautions. At least they are doing something now.

Stuff like trying to avoid public transportation during rush hour, and they recommend shutting any events with more than 1000 people, at least until the end of march. Taking extra care and helping the weak members of your family.

And yet the news station had a doctor talking afterwards who was like "you know, don't panic, this is also political"

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
My 32 Litres of Purell hand santizer has shown up, what the hell its loads.

(accidentally ordered the 32x 1L refills instead of the 32x 60ml small bottles)

IMG-0109.jpg

IMG-0109.jpg

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Things in Iran are getting v.bad.

Not only a 4 digit increase in cases, but there is now talk of using force against people trying to go to other cities.

Nothing concrete so far, but this is a disaster for them.

The country will survive this, but I'm thinking the political order won't. If people get shot, shit will kick off royally.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would if I could buy the small bottles but can't buy them anywhere. I will probably hand out a litre each to my immediate family to refill there own empty bottles. Not sure what to do with the rest.

someone said donate it Earlier which I will have to take a look at

Donate to a school or nursing home.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Try sharing it with schools, nursing homes, family, friends or any other place or person that might need some.
Duudddeee, that there is a lot of high quality hand santiser, but it's not really a substitute for washing them there hands. Tepid warm water, bar of soap (preferably liquid) and jobs a goodun. Don't despair peeps out there with life aint fair cos there's no hand sanitiser.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
For those wondering about the very high Italian death rate, the Italian health ministry just published some details:
edit:fixed link

The main fact is that the patients are very old:
"The average age of COVID-2019 positive and deceased patients is 81 years, they are mostly men and in more than two thirds of cases they have three or more pre-existing diseases."

The average age of COVID-2019 positive and deceased patients is 81 years, they are mostly men and in more than two thirds of cases they have three or more pre-existing diseases. This was stated in an analysis of the data of 105 Italian patients who died on 4 March, conducted by the Istituto Superiore di Sanità, which underlines that there are 20 years of difference between the average age of the deceased and that of the virus positive patients.

The report concerns deceased patients and is based on data obtained through the compilation of a questionnaire developed specifically for the purpose of detecting death cases.

The average age of the patients examined is 81 years, about 20 years higher than that of the patients who contracted the infection, and women are 28 (26.7%).

The majority of deaths 42.2% occurred in the age group between 80 and 89 years, while 32.4% were between 70 and 79, 8.4% between 60 and 69, 2.8% between 50 and 59 and 14.1% over 90 years.
Women who died after contracting COVID-2019 infection are older than men (median age women 83.4 - median age men 79.9). The average number of pathologies observed in this population is 3.4 (median 3, Standard Deviation 2.1). Overall, 15.5% of the sample had 0 or 1 pathologies, 18.3% had 2 pathologies and 67.2% had 3 or more pathologies. The most represented comorbidity is hypertension (present in 74.6% of the sample), followed by ischemic heart disease (70.4%) and diabetes mellitus (33.8%).

The median time from the onset of symptoms to hospitalization was 5 days and the median of the time between hospitalization and death was 4 days. "Although preliminary, these data confirm the observations made so far in the rest of the world on the main characteristics of patients - comments the president of ISS Silvio Brusaferro -, in particular on the fact that the elderly and people with pre-existing diseases are more at risk. These are very fragile people, who often live in close contact and who we must protect as much as possible ".

The average age of the diagnosed is about 60, so they really aren't finding many young people.
In contrast about diagnosed 1/3 or the South Koreans are under 30 (I don't know the average age) and only 2.7% are over 80. About 20% are over 60.
The young age in S.Korea is due to the church cult, which seems to have a relatively young membership. I don't know where it's spreading in Italy, but presumably it's care homes or something if the average age of positive tests is about 60.

Age is almost certainly causing the difference in fatality rate and it's not some kind of "Italian super-mutant strain", "South Korean healthy seafood diet" or "because everyone kisses to say hello in Italy".

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, the S and L type has been argued against and there is some suggestion that the paper be retracted. A publication in haste and trigger happy journal editors it would seem. Surprising given the weight of the journal concerned. I wonder who the peer reviewers were?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Those are literally refills for the wall dispensers you use at healthcare facilities so good job not canceling that order for lolz and possibly keeping it from going where it'll actually be fucking used. Not like you have a wall dispenser.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
For those wondering about the very high Italian death rate, the Italian health ministry just published some details:
edit:fixed link

The main fact is that the patients are very old:
"The average age of COVID-2019 positive and deceased patients is 81 years, they are mostly men and in more than two thirds of cases they have three or more pre-existing diseases."

The average age of COVID-2019 positive and deceased patients is 81 years, they are mostly men and in more than two thirds of cases they have three or more pre-existing diseases. This was stated in an analysis of the data of 105 Italian patients who died on 4 March, conducted by the Istituto Superiore di Sanità, which underlines that there are 20 years of difference between the average age of the deceased and that of the virus positive patients.

The report concerns deceased patients and is based on data obtained through the compilation of a questionnaire developed specifically for the purpose of detecting death cases.

The average age of the patients examined is 81 years, about 20 years higher than that of the patients who contracted the infection, and women are 28 (26.7%).

The majority of deaths 42.2% occurred in the age group between 80 and 89 years, while 32.4% were between 70 and 79, 8.4% between 60 and 69, 2.8% between 50 and 59 and 14.1% over 90 years.
Women who died after contracting COVID-2019 infection are older than men (median age women 83.4 - median age men 79.9). The average number of pathologies observed in this population is 3.4 (median 3, Standard Deviation 2.1). Overall, 15.5% of the sample had 0 or 1 pathologies, 18.3% had 2 pathologies and 67.2% had 3 or more pathologies. The most represented comorbidity is hypertension (present in 74.6% of the sample), followed by ischemic heart disease (70.4%) and diabetes mellitus (33.8%).

The median time from the onset of symptoms to hospitalization was 5 days and the median of the time between hospitalization and death was 4 days. "Although preliminary, these data confirm the observations made so far in the rest of the world on the main characteristics of patients - comments the president of ISS Silvio Brusaferro -, in particular on the fact that the elderly and people with pre-existing diseases are more at risk. These are very fragile people, who often live in close contact and who we must protect as much as possible ".

The average age of the diagnosed is about 60, so they really aren't finding many young people.
In contrast about diagnosed 1/3 or the South Koreans are under 30 (I don't know the average age) and only 2.7% are over 80. About 20% are over 60.
The young age in S.Korea is due to the church cult, which seems to have a relatively young membership. I don't know where it's spreading in Italy, but presumably it's care homes or something if the average age of positive tests is about 60.

Age is almost certainly causing the difference in fatality rate and it's not some kind of "Italian super-mutant strain", "South Korean healthy seafood diet" or "because everyone kisses to say hello in Italy".

But that's why the situation in Italy is much closer to what could possibly happen without strict containment measures also in the rest of Europe at least. Many European country have a median age quite similar to Italy (40+). Interesting enough South Korea has a quite high median age too but the very specific way the virus spread and the quick and extensive testing of everybody linked to that cult helped a lot.

16bits

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
People dont seem to be understanding exponential growth curves

of course rates are "doubling"

and if that alarms you, don't think about what they actually are

most people will get this

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The city Mönchengladbach in Germany sees no problem in holding a soccer game with 50.000 fans close to Heinsberg because it has to be assumed that everyone currently infected is in quarantine or a hospital. They say that they are sure no one infected with Corona will go to this game.

The state currently counts 324 detected cases with almost 200 in Heinsberg...

This is dumb.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
People dont seem to be understanding exponential growth curves

of course rates are "doubling"

and if that alarms you, don't think about what they actually are

most people will get this

There's a huge difference between "most people" getting this in the next months before a vaccine and better cures are available and them getting it over several years.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
The EFL (English Football League) in England have come out and said the pre-match hand shake between teams will not take place before a game.................in a contact sport.

ExtinguirX

Nov 22, 2018
So it appears the first virus transmission in Italy was caused by a business man from Munich (Germany) that went to Codogno (where the first italian cases originated from).
Munich was one of the first clusters in Europe.
Too bad the article is on a paywall.

Rep

La selezione del meglio del giornalismo di Repubblica. Saperne di più è una tua scelta.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The EFL (English Football League) in England have come out and said the pre-match hand shake between teams will not take place before a game.................in a contact sport.

Because not all contact is equal. The danger is getting the virus on your hand and then touching your face. Now of course they should generally forbid or heavily sanction any contact at the face level in the same spirit.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cases have been doubling every day here in Belgium, up to 109 now. Shit's getting scary real fast.

It's phenomenal seeing that my country is starting to overtake Italys numbers in the same time. My company doesn't do shit so far in Hamburg and people are still too stupid too correctly wash their hands. Awh hell, I think in a week that will change quickly and I hope people making jokes the whole time will finally shut up. I have a ton of coworkers that act like it won't do any harm, but they don't think about their loved ones.

The city Mönchengladbach in Germany sees no problem in holding a soccer game with 50.000 fans close to Heinsberg because it has to be assumed that everyone currently infected is in quarantine or a hospital. They say that they are sure no one infected with Corona will go to this game.

The state currently counts 324 detected cases with almost 200 in Heinsberg...

This is dumb.

BUT BUNDESLIGA IS SO IMPORTANT! God damn it.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Just had a skype call from my manager. Looks like my company is restricting travel so i'm going to be staying at the office close to home in the UK. Plans are in place to work from home soon too.

Looks like iv'e got to cancel some hotel rooms and train tickets

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
2nd case confirmed in Argentina. It was someone who came back from Italy last week, same as the first one.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't realised my flights to Orlando were economy plus which means I can actually get cancellation refund back minus whatever the fee is. Probably being overly cautious but I think I'm just going to not go at this point. I'm supposed to be going to Paris in September, hopefully things will have stabilised by then

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The same way any pandemic goes away. Some people develop immunity to it, it mutates into other forms, and its rate of spread and/or deadliness fizzles until it stops being referred to as an active pandemic.
Or, to put it another way: Influenza A/H1N1 virus did not vanish from the face of the earth when the Spanish flu ended. A/H1N1 strains routinely participate in seasonal influenza outbreaks, and it went on to cause numerous later epidemics, such as the 2009 pandemic.

There are loads of ancient pandemics whose diseases can still kill people. For instance, there are cases and deaths from bubonic plague every year, and there are loads of places where it can be caught from the local wildlife (including much of the western US). The main reason that bubonic plague doesn't seem to ever go epidemic in developed countries is that we're a heck of a lot better at containing it than we were 600 years ago.

Thank you for this information. But I still have one question about the immunity thing......was the only way that happened because everyone eventually got it?? Is there a chance this mutates or we somehow get immunity to it without everyone getting sick or mass amounts of people dying?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for this information. But I still have one question about the immunity thing......was the only way that happened because everyone eventually got it?? Is there a chance this mutates or we somehow get immunity to it without everyone getting sick or mass amounts of people dying?
Mutation is not necessarily a good thing. There are reports that it has already mutated to a more aggressive strain in China.

www.news.com.au

Scientists identify second virus strain

As the global coronavirus crisis worsens, a group of Chinese scientists have found that the deadly disease has evolved into two strains that are responsible for the global outbreak.

Mutations that make the virus more successful are the ones that stick. That doesn't necessarily mean bad things for us, as a virus that kills its host too quickly to spread will not succeed. But it doesn't mean good things, either. We don't know yet how this will all shake out.