PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Florida is UNIQUELY vulnerable, I suspect. That demographic isn't going to respond well, and if it's combined with a devil-may-care attitude, it's going to turn into an Elderly Plague for the state.
I live here and yeah things are looking incredibly dire.

Almost everyone I've delivered pizza to has shown a complete lack of concern for COVID-19. I have an 80 year old grandmother and an asthmatic little brother at home, so I'm in a constant 'freaking the fuck out' state.

At least my boss offered me a place to stay if turns out that I or one of the employees gets infected. Otherwise I'd have to stay at a motel.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The fact that you seem to consider this to be "stocking up" makes me feel like such an alcoholic.
Nah if I was stocking up I woulda got a few cases and a bunch of bottles. Trying to keep a low supply to avoid temptation and keep my immune system in top shape. I'd love to drink 15 beers a day rn tbh

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My job (home care for individuals with intellectual disabilities) said if anyone in the homes we work at catches it, then us workers in that house at the time would be stuck there. For 14 days.

Can they legally do that? In Alabama if that helps. I live alone in an apartment, I'd much rather be stuck there than in a home with 3 individuals/3 staff for two weeks. There won't be enough food or anything.

I gotta do what I gotta do, but I just wonder if they can do that.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I don't know, I'd rather be penniless than dead.
Exactly. The economy is less important than people's lives being affected by the virus.

It's not just about the case fatality rate, but you can get mild symptoms and still have long-term lung damage. The entire process of being in an ICU bed itself is far scarier and more painful than economic impact.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
All this talk of what these measures will do to the economy are missing the point. *None* of the usual rules apply right now. Society at large, from the common man all the way up to the government, *must* change and adapt to what the current circumstances demand. The magnitude of the impact that this will have on the world will be up there with WW2 and 9/11.

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
My job (home care for individuals with intellectual disabilities) said if anyone in the homes we work at catches it, then us workers in that house at the time would be stuck there. For 14 days.

Can they legally do that? In Alabama if that helps. I live alone in an apartment, I'd much rather be stuck there than in a home with 3 individuals/3 staff for two weeks. There won't be enough food or anything.

I'm no lawyer, but that sounds dubious

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Our weed dispensaries are crazier than normal. If they shut those down people will go back to local dealers.

I actually homebrew beer. If they shut down alcohol sales I bet a lot of neighbors will be a lot friendlier to me.
I would absolutely consider selling weed if laid off. People are gonna want it more than ever to make the time go by.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
In my family WhatsApp, had my grandmother just say "No way am I isolating myself for 12 weeks because I'm over 70"

My mother, who is a nurse, just replied to her "You don't have any preexisting conditions which is good. I can't believe that staying indoors is better than fresh air."

I'm tempted to go all caps on them and tell them both to just open a window or something, what the hell?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

No idea about US rules, but my mom works with the elderly (she is 60 herself), and the care center has the same rules ready to implement. And they already color coded areas of the facility to limit movement. This is EU for me

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Exactly. The economy is less important than people's lives being affected by the virus.

It's not just about the case fatality rate, but you can get mild symptoms and still have long-term lung damage. The entire process of being in an ICU bed itself is far scarier and more painful than economic impact.

Most people will get it either way, just a matter of when. This is all about flattening the curve and not about not catching the virus ever.

And with the economy imploded and lung damage things could become rough really quick

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Was only a matter of time before seeing this sort of response to the 14 day closure of businesses sans grocery stores and takeout+delivery:

While I can appreciate the financial concern for local businesses this is a sacrifice that needs to happen to contain the spread in WA state (and obviously the other states enacting similar bans). You can be sure plenty more obstinate business owners will be ignoring the order tomorrow when the 14 day closure period starts. I hope Inslee enacts steep fines for those not complying. Not sure what else he can do to prevent this from happening short of arrests but not sure if that's within his abilities as governor.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Always worth pointing out and keeping the message out there.

ddsjunt-afe6b2dd-281e-467a-9141-590691b75aca.png

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would certainly improve morale, but this can also backfire. If you let people walk about every now and then, people will want more and more until they're crowding together outside again.
You've got this backward. If you tell people to go outside infrequently and get some fresh air people will savor it and follow the advice. If you tell them to stay inside for days and days on end some will rebel and engage in risky behavior out of desperation and create a bigger problem than if you had just let them go out in the first place. Keeping morale high is an essential part of getting voluntary self-enforcement of quarantine procedures. More people will get sick, whether it's through the virus or some other issue, if they do not take care of themselves, and infrequent outdoor exercise is one of the lowest risk options available.

LegendofTrey

Oct 27, 2017
I work in a retail store, and one of our employees called out today and said she was being tested.

Now I understand that you don't want the store to panic but management has been given orders to not tell any hourly employees to prevent panic.

This employee practices the worst possible human hygiene. It's a bit worrisome.

Times like this are where you really lose working in retail.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate my work making the work deli free but I dunno if encouraging more people to use a self serve style cafeteria is the best

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting scarier by the day. I'm worried about all the people losing their jobs, stores closing, and the long lines at grocery stores. People are going to get desperate.

2 more dead in nyc. I think the death toll is now at 9.

Bright side is that i think the government as a whole is now realizing how serious this is. Better late than ever i guess.

EDIT: 9 Dead in Ny State

Last edited:

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
While I can appreciate the financial concern for local businesses this is a sacrifice that needs to happen to contain the spread in WA state (and obviously the other states enacting similar bans). You can be sure plenty more obstinate business owners will be ignoring the order tomorrow when the 14 day closure period starts. I hope Inslee enacts steep fines for those not complying. Not sure what else he can do to prevent this from happening short of arrests but not sure if that's within his abilities as governor.

I've said the same thing in the SF thread, but this is going to happen because the government (city/state/ESPECIALLY FEDERAL) is keeping people in the dark about what's going to happen to their finances. These lockdowns are necessary, sure, but not providing info on what support will be given to people with rent (pausing evictions does nothing), mortgages, car payments, student loans, credit debt, etc WILL make people be noncompliant. Threatening punishment will just lead to unrest.

It's supremely frustrating to see this big piece of the puzzle not being addressed in these lockdowns in the states.

They can't expect people to sacrifice everything they have and then remain in the dark. It's so half-assed.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/coronavirus-uk-strategy-deaths

The report linked https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

This is the research the Government are using.

Perhaps our most significant conclusion is that mitigation is unlikely to be feasible without emergency surge capacity limits of the UK and US healthcare systems being exceeded many times over. In the most effective mitigation strategy examined, which leads to a single, relatively short epidemic (case isolation, household quarantine and social distancing of the elderly), the surge limits for both general ward and ICU beds would be exceeded by at least 8-fold under the more optimistic scenario for critical care requirements that we examined. In addition, even if all patients were able to be treated, we predict there would still be in the order of 250,000 deaths in GB, and 1.1-1.2 million in the US.

In the UK, this conclusion has only been reached in the last few days, with the refinement of estimates of likely ICU demand due to COVID-19 based on experience in Italy and the UK (previous planning estimates assumed half the demand now estimated) and with the NHS providing increasing certainty around the limits of hospital surge capacity.

We therefore conclude that epidemic suppression is the only viable strategy at the current time. The social and economic effects of the measures which are needed to achieve this policy goal will be profound. Many countries have adopted such measures already, but even those countries at an earlier stage of their epidemic (such as the UK) will need to do so imminently.

Our analysis informs the evaluation of both the nature of the measures required to suppress COVID- 19 and the likely duration that these measures will need to be in place. Results in this paper have informed policymaking in the UK and other countries in the last weeks. However, we emphasise that is not at all certain that suppression will succeed long term; no public health intervention with such disruptive effects on society has been previously attempted for such a long duration of time. How populations and societies will respond remains unclear.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
My city won't test my co-worker's mom even though she's in her 70s and is having pneumonia-like symptoms. Goddamn humans are so fucking stupid.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really glad the government here in Maryland is taking this situation as seriously as they are.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I've said the same thing in the SF thread, but this is going to happen because the government (city/state/ESPECIALLY FEDERAL) is keeping people in the dark about what's going to happen to their finances. These lockdowns are necessary, sure, but not providing info on what support will be given to people with rent (pausing evictions does nothing), mortgages, car payments, student loans, credit debt, etc WILL make people be noncompliant. Threatening punishment will just lead to unrest.
Yeah it's insane.

Almost the entirety of the USA lives paycheck to paycheck.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
This is getting scarier by the day. I'm worried about all the people losing their jobs, stores closing, and the long lines at grocery stores. People are going to get desperate.

2 more dead in nyc. I think the death toll is now at 9.

Bright side is that i think the government as a whole is now realizing how serious this is. Better late than ever i guess.

It should never have taken this long. Being late is the difference between us potentially being Italy or South Korea. I'm truly scared that our government treating this like a joke for so long is going to result in us being the former rather than the latter. Seeing all those people on the beach in Florida just reinforces that. People won't treat it as seriously as it should be treated until it starts affecting them.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I work in a retail store, and one of our employees called out today and said she was being tested.

Now I understand that you don't want the store to panic but management has been given orders to not tell any hourly employees to prevent panic.

This employee practices the worst possible human hygiene. It's a bit worrisome.

Times like this are where you really lose working in retail.
my direct boss has been in panic mode for about 2 weeks. We have been in clean everything for at least a week.
we got the order from the higher ups to make sure to wipe down stuff today (something we have been doing for over a week)

my boss's boss told her to stop being stupid and irrational and worrying because it's all a media hoax.
my boss's boss's boss told my coworker that it doesn't matter if people will die, we can't shut down our stores because it would hurt our profits too much and people are counting on us having that money.

I work for a nonprofit retail company. yay.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
So they've tested the entirety of Vo', one of the first sources of the outbreak in Italy, 3k inhabitants, and between 50 to 75% of the people that tested positive is completely asymptomatic. Source

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I'm really pissed off at Gov. Pritzker here in Illinois who keeps saying we have to have the elections tomorrow & insists it's safe. I'm immunocompromised as hell so I'm just not gonna be voting I guess.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Was only a matter of time before seeing this sort of response to the 14 day closure of businesses sans grocery stores and takeout+delivery:

With Santa Clara County imposing a "mandatory self quarantine directive", the nerve wracking thing moving forward across the world is what does govt "enforcement" look like. Fines, finger wagging, detention?

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
My AirBNB host doesn't want to refund me for the month I just paid. My job site shut down, they're sending me on two planes to different airports to get back to Los Angeles of all places, I live with my 79 year old grandma who I can't go back to, so I'll be sleeping out of my car, and my host refuses to pay me back for an entire month that I will not be using.

I'm so pissed right now. I finally felt settled into a good place in life starting with this job. And this shit happens. I was supposed to be here for 5 months, I wasn't expecting to walk into work and be put on a plane 24 hours later. Or I would've never paid.

I just need to vent. Sorry.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
My AirBNB host doesn't want to refund me for the month I just paid. My job site shut down, they're sending me on two planes to different airports to get back to Los Angeles of all places, I live with my 79 year old grandma who I can't go back to, so I'll be sleeping out of my car, and my host refuses to pay me back for an entire month that I will not be using.

I'm so pissed right now. I finally felt settled into a good place in life starting with this job. And this shit happens. I was supposed to be here for 5 months, I wasn't expecting to walk into work and be put on a plane 24 hours later. Or I would've never paid.

That's really unfortunate. Try to escalate it as much as you can. Maybe even inquire from your work.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Florida like 26% elderly people? Welp

Florida begging to become Italy 2.0.

Think you have a valid complaint there with AirBnB, I would press them on it.