• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's not really disputed but is a very slippery number which includes even modern day Brazilian cheapo console sales with almost no original hardware elements and a bunch of built in games. By the same logic that gets to that number the NES mini should count as an NES.

And I gave my feedback.
Sega shipped 30.75 million Mega Drive consoles in the end (was around 29 million as March 1996).
There is no way Mega Drive total shipment to be near 40 million units, even including wharever TecToy manufactured for South America.
It's a bogus number.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Media release and all that stuff happens next Thursday aligned with delivery of digital data to clients.

Packaged data delivers to clients today, but packaged only isn't sufficiently representative of today's market.

Dr.AfroJaguar

Banned for having multiple alt accounts
Nov 21, 2017
Sega shipped 30.75 million Mega Drive consoles in the end (was around 29 million as March 1996).
There is no way Mega Drive total shipment to be near 40 million units, even including wharever TecToy manufactured for South America.
It's a bogus number.

I remember there being a similar argument for the 2600 being at 40 due to jr and Sears consoles as well as the gemini.

But anyway I agree that it's not a good number. 40 million would likely require better performance in Japan as well imo.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I remember there being a similar argument for the 2600 being at 40 due to jr and Sears consoles as well as the gemini.

But anyway I agree that it's not a good number. 40 million would likely require better performance in Japan as well imo.
It's not a question of sales performance in Japan, it's a question about how Mega Drive yearly shipment and final total shipment by Sega are known.
That is it's a question of taking the official figures, without relying on bogus calculation or sketchy articles.

Atari VCS has shipped 25 million units by 1987 (stated in a Atari Corp PR from such year)

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's a bogus number.
Totally agree, but the question can be broadened, and essentially has been by Sega fans over the years.

SEGA shipped 30 million. But how many Mega Drives were sold? Majesco+Tectoy+etc also sold systems. In the same way, the Sharp developed Famicoms do not count in NES shipment numbers.

But it's taken to silly extents like including spurious late 2000s tectoy numbers which even if true were actually clone systems with built in games, closer to the NES mini in concept than original hardware.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay here is a little teaser.
At least one platform sold above 1 million units during November.

Hope that was helpful.

Dr.AfroJaguar

Banned for having multiple alt accounts
Nov 21, 2017
It's not a question of sales performance in Japan, it's a question about how Mega Drive yearly shipment and final total shipment by Sega are known.
That is it's a question of taking the official figures, without relying on bogus calculation or sketchy articles.

Atari VCS has shipped 25 million units by 1987 (stated in a Atari Corp PR from such year)

Actually 1988 http://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_01_2008/post-9346-1201143700.jpg

But I know the Atari numbers, I was just saying some people claimed Atari sold 40 by over counting gemini and Sears consoles and just mentioned it as a parralel to your point about people saying the Genesis sold 40 by over counting telegames consoles.

But with Sega we actually have some numbers for their products. Atari might be the most evasive company of all time (video game console wise) in regards to sales numbers.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I was banned for having a good faith conversation going over with a user about Google trends by comparing past results with past trends what falsified claims? There were zero. All did was say we should consider it and I was in the middle of looking at past results to determine viability. Even another mod apologized for the misunderstanding.

Hah I remember that thread. You arguing with a random google trends image, and Pork Loin.

Your post history is on the public record. In the mean time, please refrain from portraying insider information that you don't actually have.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I was banned for having a good faith conversation going over with a user about Google trends by comparing past results with past trends what falsified claims? There were zero. All did was say we should consider it and I was in the middle of looking at past results to determine viability. Even another mod apologized for the misunderstanding.
He didn't apologise for the misunderstanding, he apologised IF there was a misunderstanding because he wasn't sure. Big difference.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I was wondering WTF you guys were talking about, then I realised that this forum's ignore option is super effective, even cancels quotes.

So, Switch becoming #1 hardware in 2018 is not a given IMHO, all depends on Sony's and Nintendo's pricing strategy. At current levels I'd agree, though.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want his crystal ball. How can he know how much Sony and Nintendo will sell in 2018 ?

PS4 With a 199 console and Spiderman, GOW, RDR2 marketing, he thinks that about Nintendo top selling by 40%? Yeh I would love his crystal ball, sure he works for NPD unless they all have crystal balls lol

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 With a 199 console and Spiderman, GOW, RDR2 marketing, he thinks that about Nintendo top selling by 40%? Yeh I would love his crystal ball, sure he works for NPD unless they all have crystal balls lol
Yea I just don't see it. I'll take a bet on this no way switch is leading with that lineup and price on ps4.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, do not underestimate Switch, it's still the "new thing", and who knows what Nintendo comes up with to ensure momentum next year. Prettey sure they won't "just" rely on a Pokemon game.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
He may be referring to revenue and only hardware. I can't see the tweet so I'm assuming it says something about switch leading next year. Even if PS4 and switch sell the same number of units NPD would consider switch bigger due to revenue.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea I just don't see it. I'll take a bet on this no way switch is leading with that lineup and price on ps4.

If Pokemon is in fact 2018, you guys might be in for quite a surprise. It's a genuine monster-level franchise that eclipses basically everything Nintendo has and would single-handedly propel the Switch to ridiculous heights.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So Playstation 4 won, explains the lack of PR.

Someone make a new thread I still can't and need to sleep.

Quick maths by me:

PS4 - 1.540.000
Xbox One - 1.400.000
Switch - ~800.000

Last edited:

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"while Super Mario Odyssey came in second (Switch exclusive, Nintendo)"

I knew this game was gonna continue being a monster well into November. #2 man, that's crazy with the releases we had that month.

Nightwing

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the latest update from Mizuho, they usually use NPD numbers.

There are no specific numbers in the update but the included figure seem to show PS4:Switch at about 2:1 and Xbox One was marginally (maybe 10%) less than PS4

So Playstation 4 won, explains the lack of PR.

Someone make a new thread I still can't and need to sleep.

Quick maths by me:

PS4 - 1.540.000
Xbox One - 1.400.000
Switch - ~800.000
I can make one but what is the source?

Nightwing

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My source is a report from Mizuho Securities Equity Research, they send monthly update on US/Japan console game sales to their clients . Sorry I wouldn't be able to upload the actual report so you'll have take my words for it..
Got it - I believe it's private? for client only?

well I'll just pull the trigger here.