• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Link the original report, and post text for easier viewing.

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/1...ke-such-a-different-wwe-ppv-and-more.html?p=1

We've gotten a lot of emails from readers asking about this past Sunday's WWE Evolution PPV and why the show felt different from a traditional PPV show.

As PWInsider.com previously noted, the production set up was different because the usual stages, lighting rig, etc. that WWE uses had to be in Charlotte, NC for Monday Night Raw. Since WWE added this show much later in the game than they usually do (their events are planned and routed almost a year in advance in most cases), there was no logistical way to get the staging from New York to North Carolina. The different lighting was done specifically to give the show a different feel from the glitzier WWE productions as well.

Another major factor in why the show felt different is that the WWE NXT production crew manned and ran the show. The majority of those in production who oversee Raw and Smackdown PPVs were not at the Nassau Coliseum and were already in North Carolina for Raw when Evolution went on the air. The production truck was run by the same crew that handles the WWE NXT Takeover specials.

PWInsider.com has confirmed that Kevin Dunn was not in attendance at Evolution and did not direct the PPV. We are told the person who directed is the same person who directs the Takeover events.

Vince McMahon was backstage, arriving just before the PPV was to begin and observed the event. He was in the gorilla position with Triple H and Stephanie McMahon for the majority of the PPV

I said for weeks that I thought Hunter's crew would run the show. Then Dave tried to say otherwise and everybody doomed and gloomed about it. It was pretty clear watching the presentation of the show that it was an NXT production team.

Oct 25, 2017
Link the original report, and post text for easier viewing.

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/1...ke-such-a-different-wwe-ppv-and-more.html?p=1

I said for weeks that I thought Hunter's crew would run the show. Then Dave tried to say otherwise and everybody doomed and gloomed about it. It was pretty clear watching the presentation of the show that it was an NXT production team.

Yeah, that explains it. It's weird to me that people think the WWE is going to still be shit when Hunter is charged because literally everything he's booked says the opposite.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah for a moment I thought they were letting Riddle rep SPLX but now I see they had him cover the logo up

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NXT UK catch-up now

Trent using a burning hammer as a finish is interesting. Obviously a safer version, but still.

Deleted member 3761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Evolution felt so much like a Takeover, I said as such in the other thread. How much money would the E save if they went for that look and feel each show.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Yuu will not be re-signing with TJPW when her contract expires on Dec. 1st, will instead be going freelance. Says she wants to wrestle overseas.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yuu will not be re-signing with TJPW when her contract expires on Dec. 1st, will instead be going freelance. Says she wants to wrestle overseas.

That is a good move because, unless something big changes in TJPW, she is close to her limit there. As much as I enjoy TJPW they need to expand their roster fast and get more freelance/international wrestlers.

mattsdl

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That is a good move because, unless something big changes in TJPW, she is close to her limit there. As much as I enjoy TJPW they need to expand their roster fast and get more freelance/international wrestlers.
I agree about this being a good move for Yuu.
She's someone who always wanted to become a wrestler IIRC, so this makes total sense and is probably a good career decision.
It basically sounds like an excursion.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to talk about how 205 Live managed to book when of the most call back heavy story lines that I've ever seen in wrestling that literally no one cares about or is picking up on because they either didn't watch the show when this happened or are still not watching the show.

This story line involves The Brian Kendrick. One of Kendricks first feuds in 205 Live was with Akira Tozawa. Kendrick didn't just want to prove he was the best, Kendrick wanted to corrupt Tozawa and have the two of them team up. Tozawa took one look at Kendricks underhanded tactics and decided he wanted no part of that. So Kendrick spent weeks tormenting Tozawa and making his life a living hell. But every time Kendrick would get one up on Tozawa, Tozawa would come right back and eventually Tozawa won this feud.

After that Kendrick moved on to messing with a Jack Gallagher. Gallagher was a jolly comedy wrestler at the time that had won over the crowd. Unlike Tozawa though, Gallagher couldn't get one up on Kendrick. Kendrick was one step ahead of him and eventually Gallagher couldn't take it anymore. One night Gallagher came to the ring after Kendrick wrestled a match against Alexander and to the shock of even Kendrick, Gallagher turned to Alexander and beat the shit out of him with an umbrella. Gallagher had been corrupted by Kendrick and a friendship between the two was forged. It might not of been the person Kendrick originally tried to corrupt, but Kendrick wasn't going to turn it down.

After this Kendrick and Gallagher teamed together for a while. The two had moderate success, but Kendrick spent a lot of time on the shelf after Hideo Itami broke his eye. This all changed when Drew Gulak entered the picture. Gulak joined up with Gallagher and Kendrick while they were feuding with the Lucha House Party and the three came out on top of that little feud. After that, Gulak made an attempt at the cruiserweight title and Kendrick and Gallagher stayed by his side. The new team seemed to be a permanent one. Gulak failed to capture the title and at this point Kendrick started to subtly change. Kendrick was starting to show mercy, he didn't want to go as far as his partners seemed to want to go in some of their post match beat downs. Gulak picked up on this change instantly, possibly even before Kendrick himself noticed he was changing. After Gallagher lost a match to Kendrick's old enemy Tozawa, Gulak and Gallagher turned on Kendrick, kicking him out of the group. Kendrick had been betrayed by the very person he corrupted in the first place.

After this, Gallagher and Gulak turned their attention Akira Tozawa. After Tozawa felt himself on the end of a beat down from the two, Kendrick of all people rushed out to help him. Maybe Kendrick was just angry at Gallagher and Gulak and wanted revenge or maybe he could finally see that the tactics the heels were using was wrong, but either way, he came to help his former enemy. Tozawa didn't know what to make of this. Tozawa wasn't ready to trust the man who had put him through so much, and didn't stick around long after Kendrick helped him. And then this week happened. After Tozawa watched Kendrick get handed a beat down not unlike the one he received, Tozawa ran out to help Kendrick. The rest has yet to be seen, but it looks like Kendrick and Tozawa are going to form an uneasy alliance. So Kendrick finally got what he wanted. Tozawa is potentially his partner now, but it's not because Kendrick was able to corrupt Tozawa like he originally sent out to do, but instead because Kendrick himself had a change of heart.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Evolution felt so much like a Takeover, I said as such in the other thread. How much money would the E save if they went for that look and feel each show.

I don't think it was quite on that level yet, but it was a glimpse of what they can do with main roster booking. Most of the time Vince just gets in his own way.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is I prefer the stage setup they used more for evolution than the usual one but maybe that's because I'm sick of seeing it and it's time for change.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dave says Bryan was never planning on going back to Saudi Arabia after how the first show was handled. Said he asked to lose to Miz at Super Show Down in the #1 contender's match

Evidently Bryan, who knew little or nothing about Saudi Arabia until he got there, largely felt he couldn't go back under those circumstances. It wasn't so much that the women weren't allowed to perform, even though he's married to a woman wrestler and has a sister-in-law who wrestles. But the key was what he learned about the treatment of homosexuals, and also, that they wouldn't allow Sami Zayn to perform on the show, and he considered that racism.

It was not the current controversy over Khashoggi that evidently made him make his decision, although one would think it made him feel more strongly that his decision wasn't wrong.

He had asked to lose to The Miz in Australia in the match where the winner would get the title shot. It's not clear if that was because he knew the title shot was coming in Saudi Arabia, or because he felt that it wasn't time yet to get his conclusive win which would come across as the blow-off of the program.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dave's ratings for Evolution, for those interested

Alicia Fox & Mickie James vs. Lita & Trish Stratus: **1/4

Historic Battle Royal: ***1/4

Io Shirai vs. Toni Storm: ***1/2

Bayley, Natalya & Sasha Banks vs. Riott Squad: ***1/4

Kairi Sane vs. Shayna Baszler: ***1/4

Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair: ****3/4

Nikki Bella vs. Ronda Rousey: ***3/4

He also gave Toni Storm vs. Meiko Satomura from the MYC semifinals a ****1/4

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of new talent is scheduled for WWE medicals in mid-November with plans for a January debuting class. We don't have any names yet, but if you start hearing about people canceling their 2019 indie bookings, that could be a start. They are pursuing two of the top workers in the business but I don't think contractually either could make it by January. Plus, it may not happen since both are significant stars in major league companies

giphy.gif

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be fake as fuck of me to act like I was a fan of Roman before. Having said that, him vs. AJ Styles was good, and him vs Braun Strowman was good as well. Him vs. Brock was always garbage, but I'm gonna blame Brock for it.

Anyway, I'm putting whoever makes a Crown Jewel OT on ignore lol Please don't do it Serene, you're one of my favorite people here and this place would too depressing to read through without you

FWIW, I'm ruling myself out from making the OT too because HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. Back for Takeover and Survivor Series, though.

Anyway, contrary to my post from the other day, Evolution was definitely produced by the NXT lot. The Raw and Smackdown sets and production team, including Dunn, were already in Charlotte, NC for Raw hence the production feel and set being so different.

Vince was also in gorilla but as an observer. Haitch and Steph were there for the majority of the PPV.

http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1015943-wwe-evolution-backstage-details

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wait, they actually called it the Historic Battle Royal?

I honestly thought people were just calling it that here to make fun of their bullshit.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
John and Wai opened up more of their higher Patreon tiers

So I'm finally gonna do it. I'm gonna sub and make them review DS1.

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
Only a few hours away until the Nintendo fanbase reacts like they're watching the Royal Rumble. You thought WWE fans were furious when Rey Mysterio came out instead of Daniel Bryan that one year just wait until this lot get Incineroar instead of Banjo Kazooie.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Contract season continues

Lol at him not mentioning the big names he's heard

Wonder why that would be

He had an entire separate entry about the Elite, so it's probably not them he's talking about. He mentions how most of those guys are happy with New Japan and how they are working on multiple All In events for next year. The reason I didn't post it is because it's really long. Here's like half of it.

To the surprise of nobody, Hangman Page turned down an offer for a new contract. Cody and The Young Bucks also haven't signed new deals but Page just turned down his offer of late. Obviously nothing is happening until January. Cody was on the Jericho Cruise and said that he would not be going to WWE, saying he swore to God he wasn't going there. It's the first time anyone in the group has said that definitively. He said he would do everything in his power to have an All In 2. There has been talk of two All In shows in 2019 but right now nothing is definite on that account either, past talk of a holiday weekend like Memorial Day on the West Coast, but Cody made it clear that as of right now, there is nothing definite. The tag line "All In: Double or Nothing" which Cody used at the end of the first All In was talked about as the name for the second show, but again, there are so many uncertain things going on. Another question being asked is whether Sinclair and ROH would allow its exclusive talent to perform on an All In show if the key players promoting are no longer with ROH, and obviously this is too early to know about but those in the industry have noted this being another issue regarding the show. In addition, ROH gave the group extensive help on the first show, with Gary Juster of ROH being mentioned as a behind-the-scenes MVP who caught them so much about dealing with buildings and running a major live event. Cody said he couldn't do All In without the whole crew together and at this point can't say definitively that were will be one. I don't see him being exclusive New Japan, so if he's not staying with ROH and not going to WWE, that does point to a new party getting involved. Really, the only true free agents right now would be Cody and Jericho. The others are still under contract until the end of the year, or in the case of Kenny Omega, end of January. Of the crew, several have spoken highly to me about New Japan in the past week and whatever issues, they want to work there in 2019, and are fine with how things are going with management today, but others haven't disagreed with the idea going around on the Cruise of the issues and wanting to be in control. There is a theme of wanting to expand Being the Elite. Given its success as a YouTube property and its value in building the first All In, the idea of expanding that, or making a television deal for a weekly show has to be on the table and has been talked about. But again, nothing seems to be in place for that right now. They would not have the control of their creative, which they enjoy having, nor the power to put their show on television if they went to WWE, but since nothing can be official now due to tampering issues with ROH and WWE that go way back, the belief is that WWE would allow them to continue the show if they sign, as part of the deal, similar to how they allow Xavier Woods to do this thing. One person I know who is not in this ROH group and is actually under contract to another organization, but would be one of the first people someone would go to on this subject, when I joked about if any billionaires have talked with him about a project, he joked, more than you'd think. That said, talk and actually doing it are very different.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to picture Be the Elite being allowed to continue while the group was on WWE. Like, Xavier's show is just a goof. BTE carries storyline shit.

Ultimately, I've always thought the Elite would stay independent unless the E backed up the fucking Brinks truck, because they're not getting the control that Cody and the Bucks say they want.

Oct 26, 2017
UK

I've got mixed feelings about this. Yuu's my favourite work horse in TJPW and it's great to see that she's expanding her horizons (I could easily see her finding a new home in the European scene like Kris Wolf) and I'm sure she'll get a chance to work with Cobb at some point. At the same time TJPW keeps on losing it's top workers and rather than using freelancers to fill the void with equivocal talent we've just been getting lacklustre rookie matches throughout the card. In March I really thought TJPW was going to grow in regards to workrate but I'm not sure that's the case any more.

Last edited:

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best of Roman Reigns?

It has to be in his hot tags.

The Shield vs. Team Hell No & Ryback (TLC 2012): The Shields' debut on the main roster, this was also one of the best WWE matches of 2012. Reigns had the cool of the silent muscle.
tumblr_mq469hu2FT1rti7f8o1_250.gif

The Shield vs. Team Hell No & The Undertaker (April 22, 2013 Raw): During this time, you almost never got the Undertaker working a match on TV. So it was special for the match in London. However, this was also the match with the Shield arriving by helicopter.
tumblr_mlpjvpzSQn1qdelwyo5_250.gif

The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family (Elimination Chamber 2014), The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family (March 3, 2014 Raw), The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family (April 8, 2014 Main Event): Roman Reigns was being positioned as the breakout by this point after the 2014 Royal Rumble, and so we near the end of the first Shield run with the three match series against the Wyatts.
4a6ff-6.gif

The Shield vs. Evolution (Extreme Rules 2014) and The Shield vs. Evolution (Payback 2014): We remember the Seth Rollins dive, but this was another showcase for all three members of the Shield as the group's first run together ends.
9a1f67b07b2a1f3d1ef0a49614e30d5a.gif

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They want Fenix and Pentagon, but they're off the table for now.

Shane Strickland has been on their radar. .

Mercedes Martinez was the other woman from the 2018 MYC that was heavily rumored. Priscilla Kelly is the other woman I can think of from the tournament where there's been some noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.