• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
how else was I supposed to play Call of Duty?

K8ZCMUx.gif

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its impressive how bad the Wii sold during its final years. It went from highest of highs to nothing after 2010

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Launch aligned, PS4 is currently up to the 360 in 2011. It'll fall behind.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
All of that momentum, and then they killed it with some very dumb decisions.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how severe the wii dropoff was, and also crazy how badly MS bungled such a good generation transitioning into this one.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
No surprise. 360 was absolutely ubiquitous amongst US gamers. If you didn't have one you were fuckin' up.

Then they messed it all up by letting Bungie go and focusing on Kinect.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And after regaining consumer confidence in spite of the red ring fiasco they threw it all away in an attempt to fuck consumers over with the XB1. How they managed to lose that 360 momentum is something else. Pretty much everyone I knew had a 360, I cant say that for the XB1. It was a beast of a console.

Oct 27, 2017
Peak 360 was truly amazing in US during 2006-2011/12 I'd say. Waned in final years but was amazing overall. I regret waiting until 2010 to get a 360 but I was a broke, in college and scared of RRoD.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Best console last gen by far. Ps3 improved with the slim model. But the 360 was a beast. It gave microsoft a huge platform and a level playing field start of this gen with sony. No mean feat when you consider we had already had sales behemoths of the ps1 and ps2 and a huge established fan base to compete with.

Of course they then fucked it up with the one unveiling lol

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
But how many had to buy a second console because the warranty had ended when it went RROD? ;)

Seriously though, I loved the console, jet engine noise and all, it was awesome on SDTVs too which I really appreciated at the time. But the payed online was off-putting, in the end it was actually more expensive to get a 360 than PS3 if you wanted to game online but MS managed to dodge the $599 US dollar mockery.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
sure. when you need to go through 3-5 consoles it can really pad those numbers.

I even had a friends who said we went through 7 of them and the XB1/PS4 generation was still 2-3 years away.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
People like to slam the Kinect, but wasn't it one of the reasons that Xbox 360 got a big boost in sales during its later years?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
y'all are being too harsh on the "US ONLY" comment.

you'd be surprised at how many people take these NPD numbers at face value as global numbers.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
360 really hit the right spot in so many areas. It often got the best version of games, it had some good exclusives, and the Xbox Live Arcade in the heyday was a cornucopia of some of the best indie titles.

Hell, it even was the first time CAVE shooters were purchase-able in America. It was a great console, for casual and hardcore people alike.

I still have mine, but mostly for games like Outrun and Scott Pilgrim that you can't buy anymore.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Wii HD could have saved it... It's depressing how the wii fizzled out for 3 whole years... as they prepped... GULP... the Wii U....

May 22, 2018
I had eight units alone thanks to the RROD. They were dying every ten months or so. Thankfully I kept buying Gamestop's console warranty with every new purchase.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My roommates and I still speculate that so many 360s were sold because the initial batch kept failing.

I know I had to buy three because each one failed RIGHT after the warranty went out. My third one is also on its last legs right now and the disc tray only works 20% of the time....

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
sure. when you need to go through 3-5 consoles it can really pad those numbers.

I even had a friends who said we went through 7 of them and the XB1/PS4 generation was still 2-3 years away.
Anecdotally I've heard similar numbers (well, not seven). Has there been any real data on just how many people actually bought more than one unit, specifically because of the overheating issue?