• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 39184

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 28, 2018
Cannot argue against PS2's legacy, but having recently played the 360 again (Halo, Halo 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2) it's clear that the 360 was just an all around cohesive and unique experience. Also one of the greatest controllers of all time.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best consoles I've ever owned easily. PS3 is the only generation I totally skipped buying a Playstation and now that I think about it the PS3 is the only major console I haven't bought since PS2 Gamecube Era (when I was actually old enough to buy my own).

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
An amazing beast of a system with that library. Shame it was unimaginably defective.

The PS3's Cross Media Bar put XBox 360's user interface to shame, though. I hated the blades.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
Sometimes I wonder how well the Wii would have sold after 2010 if they used the Kinect tech that was proposed to them before they had to go to Microsoft because Nintendo said no.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Here we go. People act like the PS2 "Disk Read Error" problem didn't force people to buy two or three systems. It's was on par, if not worse than the RROD issue. I had to buy three PS2s because of it.

"Ever gotten those annoying Disc Read Error messages on your Playstation 2? If you have, I'll bet the first time you saw one was on the 31st day you've had it, after the Sony 30-day warranty expired. If you're real lucky, your PS2 might last two or even three years; eventually this error will hunt down your PS2 and settle down there."

Let's stop bringing it up if we are not going to include the PS2's issue. it was horrendous.

OT: I adored my 360. When I first booted Oblivion, I was blown away because it looked better than the PC version. Great system and library.

To me the more important aspect was 360 V Wii since they were the same gen, but whatever, I agree PS2 had issues also.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
To say the 360 didn't do a ton right straight out the gate is heavy denial. Only in the years winding down MS though people wouldn't give a fuck and stay with them regardless of games or the always online shit they pulled.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 360 was a great system. It felt like Microsoft was building themselves into a legit competitor for the console throne...then the XBONE happened.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Not even jokingly I do wonder how much RROD rebuys were a factor in it. I know I did and several others at my various workplaces did. It was way, way more widespread than I have ever seen a console issue.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It was a great console and established online console gaming as we know it, XBLA in particular in 2005 was like a dream come true. Geometry Wars is the best launch title of all time. Beating your friends scores on the leaderboards felt so damn good.

But really the highlight for me? 1 vs 100.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
It was a great console and established online console gaming as we know it, XBLA in particular in 2005 was like a dream come true. Geometry Wars is the best launch title of all time.

But really the highlight for me? 1 vs 100.

I'm so proud of my 200/200 in that, that game on XBL was super fun and I wish it stuck around longer.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That's an incredible misread considering the only reason it sold so much was because of Kinect.
Yeah people forget (or are in denial) that 360's sales skyrocketed on the back of Kinect. It really was Wii 2.0 for while. Just like people forget that Kinect Sports is Rare's biggest selling game of all time.

But Kinect 2.0 fucked over Xbox One in the same way as Wii-ness fucked over Wii U. Both were fads. Nobody asked for sequels.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
All Xbox 360 owners wanted from their next generation console was another Xbox 360, only better. Ironically, that turned out to be the PS4.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Not even jokingly I do wonder how much RROD rebuys were a factor in it. I know I did and several others at my various workplaces did. It was way, way more widespread than I have ever seen a console issue.
Definitely a factor, but it also had a pretty high "attach ratio" so it either overcame it or it didn't matter that much. And they made a boatload off of Kinect at the end of the gen, but of course.. that kinda led to their downfall this gen lol

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One day, when the console wars are debating the playstation mixed reality room with the microsoft augmented reality experience, let's remember these simpler days

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Guys there was a 3 year warranty for the RROD and even after the warranty it was like a $100 repair.

If you were actually buying a new system instead either you were a pirate or an idiot.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I still hold the 360 in high regard, despite 3 faulty consoles. Could have been a GOAT contender without that, but it certainly factors into my experience with it heavily. Still, great games and truly the most ubiquitous platform I've ever experienced in my personal social groups.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Real gamers wrapped their consoles in towels to fix RROD

Also what the hell are some of you doing to go through 3-5 consoles? Jesus. I had my 360 since launch, only had issues with it once - RROD which I was able to fix.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Guys there was a 3 year warranty for the RROD and even after the warranty it was like a $100 repair.

If you were actually buying a new system instead either you were a pirate or an idiot.

Nah, neither. When mine failed out of warranty it was already my third failure. My previous two had been covered under warranty (Two RRODs, final failure an E74). I wasn't about to pony up $100 just to have to do it again 6 months or a year later, in addition to having to pay for Live. I just sold all my games and switched to 100% PS3.

But probably 5 people on my friends list had ponied up for a newer S or E console at some point. We can try and downplay the issue, but the truth is the failure rate on the early machines was often so high you can't really fault those who either traded up for a newer model/or replaced a failed OOW one. I also suspect people having on ongoing Live sub played into them replacing their failed consoles.

Still a great system overall.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I always loved the controller and the cool digital games that came out. So many fun arcade experiences and great multiplayer games as well when I was into games like that. Foolishly Microsoft lost all that goodwill with Kinect and then the launch of Xbox One but the one two of the original Xbox and 360 was a good as a start to entering the console space that Microsoft could ever have asked for or done really.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not a Xbox buyer, but i seriously home Microsoft capture that magic they had with the 360 for next gen. We need a very competitive console war next gen.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Hot Take: 1/4th of them were to replace out of warranty RROD/E74'd consoles.
Not a hot take at all, this is very accurate. There was far too long of a period when MS was not covering RRoD despite how widespread it was. I bought more than 1 because of it, both of my brothers bought more than 1 because of it. Many of my friends did as well so it isn't difficult to imagine that a large portion of sales were from this.