m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Wow I missed this, can Nintendo have a Q3. Record???? 13mil-14mil shipped NSW here we come

Really good shot at Q3 record - I'm expecting the same range (+25% YoY - 13.5M), but I know zombie and Ryng are thinking >15M (+40% or higher).

Wii never peaked in JP/EUR/US at the same time and hit 10/11M. Same for NDS and it hit 10/11/12M. NSW is peaking at the same time in all markets in the same holiday - good chance it can top both those for holiday quarter record.

P Diddy

Jul 1, 2020
Really good shot at Q3 record - I'm expecting the same range (+25% YoY - 13.5M), but I know zombie and Ryng are thinking >15M (+40% or higher).

Wii never peaked in JP/EUR/US at the same time and hit 10/11M. Same for NDS and it hit 10/11/12M. NSW is peaking at the same time in all markets in the same holiday - good chance it can top both those for holiday quarter record.
And Wii's peak in JPN was nothing spectacular when it reached it in 2007 (Around 3.4 million)

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
They actually held a ton more events this year than the previous two, just no general direct. Looks like Nintendo's efforts paid off.
I think it's a smarter strategy too, lets them keep up in the news when every month they are announcing something new or going deeper on a game soon to release. Directs are legendary and always a great time but I think we're on the tail end of that strategy.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
just as a perspective, I feel like December is going to be abnormally low this year.

as a parent I have never started my Xmas shopping before black friday before because that's when the deals start. ..but this year I've already started and intend to be done with my shopping by the end of November. I'm being driven by 2 reasons:

- in this covid economy there are frequent runs on the strangest of thing. example: we had to by the economy 500 pack of plastic easter eggs for Halloween because there was a run on the smaller quanties.

- purchases not arriving before Xmas has become frequent occurances in the last two weeks of December in a normal year. in a covid year I am worried that shipping delay will get a lot bigger. I don't want to be that asshole parent that doesn't have gifts on Xmas.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo and MS might benefit from people not being able to get a PS5 for xmas.

Seemingly half of the mothers at my office want to get one for their kids and from the outside supply is looking really iffy for Sony for these holidays. And demand is insane.

Or maybe they will wait and it will have no impact.

Feb 9, 2018
Holy shit. That makes October the third-best non-holiday month for the Switch this year. This is nuts. I would have figured the COVID bump would have worn off by now as more and more people deplete their stimulus and bonus UI money, but clearly not. I guess some people still have plenty of cash saved and were waiting on restocks. Surely AC is no longer a major driver at this point, considering we've never seen an individual game create an increase in baseline sales lasting multiple months.

It makes you wonder what it would have sold over the May-July period and even through September if stock wasn't an issue. It averaged 184k/week in October. Its average from the May-Sept. period was about 142k/week, and for just the May-July period it averaged only about 106k/week. A drop in May was probably expected as that was the month after most people probably got their stimulus checks, but it may not have dropped as much as it did if stock wasn't an issue. It looked like it was losing steam all the way through July, but then bounced back in August, as did the PS4 & XBO, indicating restocks for all three systems. But clearly not even that was enough to fully satisfy demand.

switch-weekly-average-yoy.png

The Switch just keeps on exceeding my expectations. I wonder how long it can keep things up at this pace. Surely it has to slow down at some point. Q1 is going to be the time period to watch. I still have my doubts that it can catch the PS2 & DS globally, but it certainly will beat the PS4 at this point. And for the U.S. only, it still has the potential to catch up with the 360 & PS2. And even if it doesn't become the new best-selling system ever, there is no doubt that its sales have been absolutely phenomenal.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
So if there really is a Switch Pro how much is that thing going to sell for. Why would they even bother instead of just skipping straight to next gen entirely in 2022.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Holy shit. That makes October the third-best non-holiday month for the Switch this year. This is nuts. I would have figured the COVID bump would have worn off by now as more and more people deplete their stimulus and bonus UI money, but clearly not. I guess some people still have plenty of cash saved and were waiting on restocks. Surely AC is no longer a major driver at this point, considering we've never seen an individual game create an increase in baseline sales lasting multiple months.

It makes you wonder what it would have sold over the May-July period and even through September if stock wasn't an issue. It averaged 184k/week in October. Its average from the May-Sept. period was about 142k/week, and for just the May-July period it averaged only about 106k/week. A drop in May was probably expected as that was the month after most people probably got their stimulus checks, but it may not have dropped as much as it did if stock wasn't an issue. It looked like it was losing steam all the way through July, but then bounced back in August, as did the PS4 & XBO, indicating restocks for all three systems. But clearly not even that was enough to fully satisfy demand.

switch-weekly-average-yoy.png

The Switch just keeps on exceeding my expectations. I wonder how long it can keep things up at this pace. Surely it has to slow down at some point. Q1 is going to be the time period to watch. I still have my doubts that it can catch the PS2 & DS globally, but it certainly will beat the PS4 at this point. And for the U.S. only, it still has the potential to catch up with the 360 & PS2. And even if it doesn't become the new best-selling system ever, there is no doubt that its sales have been absolutely phenomenal.
remember that in Oct they had a ton of AC Switches, and they were in stock for a while.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Could Switch be the best selling console in November? I haven't been following the sales at all lately.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So if there really is a Switch Pro how much is that thing going to sell for. Why would they even bother instead of just skipping straight to next gen entirely in 2022.
I assume they want to ride the evergreen train as long as they can and are in no hurry to start fresh with a new gen. Just imagine how much money they are pulling in from games released 3 years ago, some of which are Wii U ports anyway. By selling a Switch Pro instead of a Switch 2, they buy themselves a ton of development time for when they actually release the Switch 2, and get to keep raking in those sweet sweet evergreen sales all the while.

Feb 9, 2018
Unfortunately, it's going to end with the release of PS5/Xbox Series S/X for next month... Unless, they have stock issues in their first month of release...

The release of a system from one brand has never had a negative impact on sales of a system from another brand. The Switch didn't hurt the PS4 & XBO, and the PS5 and XSX/S aren't going to hurt the Switch.

remember that in Oct they had a ton of AC Switches, and they were in stock for a while.

Oh, so that LE system they had back in March came back and in good supply? Yeah, LE consoles are always in high demand, so a big restock of those in October would definitely help out.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I wonder if Nintendo and MS might benefit from people not being able to get a PS5 for xmas.

Seemingly half of the mothers at my office want to get one for their kids and from the outside supply is looking really iffy for Sony for these holidays. And demand is insane.

Or maybe they will wait and it will have no impact.

A lot of parents aren't going to shell out $500 w/tax on either Xbox Series X or for a PS5.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
The release of a system from one brand has never had a negative impact on sales of a system from another brand. The Switch didn't hurt the PS4 & XBO, and the PS5 and XSX/S aren't going to hurt the Switch.

Oh, so that LE system they had back in March came back and in good supply? Yeah, LE consoles are always in high demand, so a big restock of those in October would definitely help out.
I think they were in stock until the latter part of the month.

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope that at least 10% of these new Switch owners bought Hades.

But yeah nothing is gonna stop this train anytime soon - it's not just hardware but Software as well when these Switch games show up all in the NPD Top 20 with digital numbers missing. It's the full package.

lol
How good is it? I played enter the gungeon a few hours when it released on the switch and I really liked it, but at some point, I got frustrated with the low progression I experienced

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
gotta give credit where credit's due: third-party software on an appealing platform too. the switch library is surprisingly diverse and there's success everywhere even though it doesn't have all the big aaa magnets.
Would you happen to be in the know on how sakuna is doing, notably on switch?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the people looking for a gift what are they going to replace it with?

Might not be a Switch could be iPads or smartphones or who the hell knows. But I see a lot of people not getting a console this xmas.
I mean, if they're asking for a PS5 for christmas, then I'm not too certain if anything other than a PS5 will be suitable

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
just as a perspective, I feel like December is going to be abnormally low this year.

as a parent I have never started my Xmas shopping before black friday before because that's when the deals start. ..but this year I've already started and intend to be done with my shopping by the end of November. I'm being driven by 2 reasons:

- in this covid economy there are frequent runs on the strangest of thing. example: we had to by the economy 500 pack of plastic easter eggs for Halloween because there was a run on the smaller quanties.

- purchases not arriving before Xmas has become frequent occurances in the last two weeks of December in a normal year. in a covid year I am worried that shipping delay will get a lot bigger. I don't want to be that asshole parent that doesn't have gifts on Xmas.

Considering Switch has basically sold out as soon as stock got in for the majority of this year I don't see demand being an issue in December.

Unfortunately, it's going to end with the release of PS5/Xbox Series S/X for next month... Unless, they have stock issues in their first month of release...

Why on earth would those consoles launching have any effect on Switch sales?

I think there is a legit chance that the Nintendo Switch could outsell PS4 lifetime. Insane.

I'd give that about an 80% chance at this point.

It also has a legit chance of outselling the PS2 and DS.