• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Could Switch be the best selling console in November? I haven't been following the sales at all lately.
In terms of units: for sure. Quite likely, even. Revenue is much more difficult, as PS5 is 400-500 per unit, with the majority of units being 500. So Switch probably needs to outsell PS5 by like 2x to be marked as the best-selling hardware for the month. Xbox Series a bit less because the S is cheaper and reportedly more numerous than PS5D.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Uuufff, these are incredible numbers. But it seems that the pattern of japanese and US sales are very different, because in japanese October, the sales were lower than they were in September. In the US it is the extreme opposite. So it should highly depend on Nintendos deliverys.

Question: Does NPD-November contain Cyber Monday this year?

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
More than twice the previous record this gen.

200.gif

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So highest yearly sales in the US are DS 2009: 11.185M. Switch is at 5.730M, so it would need to do another 5.455M to beat that. A large number still, but not impossible imo. Possible ways:
Nov: 2.2M
Dec: 3.3M

Nov: 2M
Dec: 3.5M

Some huge numbers needed for both months, but we'll see.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Too much variety. Nintendo lacks terribly in post-apocalyptic 3rd person action-adventure games.

Funny thing is depending on how tightly you define that it might not even be true. BOTW, Splatoon, Pikmin, Xenoblade and Astral Chain all arguably fit that description.=P

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Funny thing is depending on how tightly you define that it might not even be true. BOTW, Splatoon, Pikmin, Xenoblade and Astral Chain all arguably fit that description.=P
Sorry, I forgot to add REALISTIC post-apocalyptic 3rd person action-adventure games.

Your list of kid's games doesn't count.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
So highest yearly sales in the US are DS 2009: 11.185M. Switch is at 5.730M, so it would need to do another 5.455M to beat that. A large number still, but not impossible imo. Possible ways:
Nov: 2.2M
Dec: 3.3M

Nov: 2M
Dec: 3.5M

Some huge numbers needed for both months, but we'll see.

I highly doubt that Nintendo can ship so many units. Regarding demand side, this could surely happen, but I don't think that Nintendo can deliver such a huge amount.

My prediction:

Nov: 1.7M
Dec: 2.5M

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I highly doubt that Nintendo can ship so many units. Regarding demand side, this could surely happen, but I don't think that Nintendo can deliver such a huge amount.

My prediction:

Nov: 1.7M
Dec: 2.5M
I think their biggest sales in Nov+Dec is 2009's Wii at 5.07M. However, at the same time they shipped 5.01M units of the DS, for a total of 10.08M. So shipping 5.5M in and of itself doesn't seem impossible. It remains to be seen if they will, of course.

Dolorean

Sep 20, 2019
Of all the months we have collected, my LTD for Switch right now is over 22.7M

The only month that we didn't get concrete data on was June 2020 where nothing leaked for Switch, and the #1 predictor had Switch at over 500K.

I'm thinking we could cut down that month down but maybe Dolorean can help there

Not sure where the 500k June came from. June Switch was ~365k and up ~9% yoy.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of units sold for a device in its 4th year that has been doomed since *checks notes* its January 2017 presentation.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Entering november and december I think that the lack of a Samsh or Pokémon like title will hurt more than two new consoles

Hmm I doubt it. Nintendo had no big release in October and the switch sold nevertheless like gangbusters. It seems to be that Switch is a huge success now and is carried by a big momentum - even without any big releases.

Question again: Does NPD-November contain Cyber Monday this year?

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure where the 500k June came from. June Switch was ~365k and up ~9% yoy.
Thanks a lot for that, I think we never got anything concrete and could only tell it was something like <550k from prediction results. I had it down as 400k estimated in June with a bit of my own extra estimation in there. But now we know for sure, thanks!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Entering november and december I think that the lack of a Samsh or Pokémon like title will hurt more than two new consoles

Whilst true I think the thing people are missing is that Animal Crossing hasn't stopped moving consoles, and 3D All Stars will probably a big hit too.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Hmm I doubt it. Nintendo had no big release in October and the switch sold nevertheless like gangbusters. It seems to be that Switch is a huge success now and is carried by a big momentum - even without any big releases.

Question again: Does NPD-November contain Cyber Monday this year?
It is not. November tracking month goes until November 28th.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking wild that they have a real shot at continuing this streak into November due to limited stock for the PS5 and XS.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I bought my switch day one and love it, although there's just not much for me to play outside of 1st party games since I have a PC, PS4/PS5, and X1X, XSX. Serious question though, what's propelling all these systems being sold? I remember here in the US at the beginning of COVID it was impossible to get a switch almost. But, why is it continuing to sell like gang busters? Parents buying them for their kids because of the price and portability? My son is 12 and him and his friends would rather play Xbox and PlayStation. Just wondering why almost 4 years later how this little system continues to outsell Sony and Microsoft consoles and looks to continue to do so even with next gen hardware out...

Last edited:

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I bought my switch day one and love it, although there's just not much for me to play outside of 1st party games since I have a PC, PS4/PS5, and X1X, XSX. Serious question though, what's propelling all these systems being sold? I remember here in the US at the beginning of COVID it was impossible to get a switch almost. But, why is it continuing to sell like gang busters? Parents buying them doe their kids because of the price and portability? My son is 12 and him and his friends would rather play Xbox and PlayStation. Just wondering why almost 4 years later how this little system continues to outsell Sony and Microsoft consoles and looks to continue to do so even with next gen hardware out...

Because it's the most convenient and modern* system of all with one of the best, if not the best, IP catalog of the industry.

*How can you say modern when it's using technology from over six years ago?!?! - probably someone. Modern in the way that is a system that doesn't demand you to be adapted to it, instead it adapts to you. You can go to a cinema and watch a 35mm film with Dolby Atmos sound and have s great experience, but most people will opt to check that movie on stream even if it's on their mobile phones on short bursts. The Switch adapts better to the modern life style of most users than the PS or Xbox does, it's a change of paradygim that is amazingly well communicated and designed.

Era is a niche place where most people are videogame enthusiastic, so I am not surprised how here some people cant see all the appeal. Its like going to a film enthusiastic forum and talking about the success of Netflix. From the inside is hard to see, from the outside is pretty clear.

Last edited:

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Jesus, over 700k for Switch + Lite while the Switch hasn't seen a price drop at all (not lite either)

Incredibly impressive and even if sales next year do not reach this years it will still sell better than 2019!

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought my switch day one and love it, although there's just not much for me to play outside of 1st party games since I have a PC, PS4/PS5, and X1X, XSX. Serious question though, what's propelling all these systems being sold? I remember here in the US at the beginning of COVID it was impossible to get a switch almost. But, why is it continuing to sell like gang busters? Parents buying them doe their kids because of the price and portability? My son is 12 and him and his friends would rather play Xbox and PlayStation. Just wondering why almost 4 years later how this little system continues to outsell Sony and Microsoft consoles and looks to continue to do so even with next gen hardware out...
first party software. people want to play those games. zelda, mario kart, smash, mario, animal crossing, etc. and they're not getting them anywhere else. being a hybrid and the convenience that comes with that doesn't hurt either.
if someone doesn't find anything to like in the huge lineup of switch 1st party games, i can see why they'd be puzzled by the success of the system.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
So overall Switch did sell ~23.2m in the US since March 2017.

This is the next device that will pass 40m mark in the US market.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It's the only console that offer the flexibility to adapt to anyone lifestyle without caveats (you don't need any good connection around you contrary to the upcoming streaming game platforms) and the exclusive big software that push the sales hit a broad demographic range.
Think for example about these four big hits on Switch and what audience can attract: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Pokemon Sword / Shield, Ring Fit Adventure.

NSW was always going to be up compared to last year due to ACNH and the increased production of RFA stock (in conjunction with all the other evergreen games that keep selling), the pandemic just amplified what was an already upward trend.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure they are gonna sell whatever they are shipping these two months.....system already has a very established library and doesn't depend on a single release to push it sales during the Holidays. Every new potential Switch owners probably has like 5 games they are already interested in.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
1) A very appealing piece of hardware that enables all sorts of people to play games be it single player or multiplayer.
2) High quality first party content that hits a broad audience. There is something there for all kinds of gamers, including males, females, kids, casual gamers, non gamers, families etc.
3) A good complimentary third party library that keeps people engaged after their first few Nintendo game purchases. A high quality lineup of indie games, mid tier games and exclusive unique third party games also make it a primary platform for those type of games.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
1) A very appealing piece of hardware that enables all sorts of people to play games be it single player or multiplayer.
2) High quality first party content that hits a broad audience. There is something there for all kinds of gamers, including males, females, kids, casual gamers, non gamers, families etc.
3) A good complimentary third party library that keeps people engaged after their first few Nintendo game purchases. A high quality lineup of indie games, mid tier games and exclusive unique third party games also make it a primary platform for those type of games.
I think strong evergreens are a huge reason. Many Nintendo franchises are showing incredible legs, even for Nintendo games. There's an increasing library of highly attractive titles, ones that new owners are likely to purchase a handful of. As this library gets bigger, more and more people look at those pieces of software and see titles they want to buy.

With most consoles the primary driver of sales is new software, which we are still seeing on the Switch but it's as if each major evergreen title is additive . . . rather than giving the console a bump and then dying back down to normal levels, there's a bump and then sales drop to an increased baseline.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Im quite sure the whole black friday weekend will be a "cybermonday".

Does anyone have Nov and Dec Wii numbers after the 800k october? And if there was a big release then? Thanks
About 4.2M but only because it was severely stock constrained.
December just slightly edged out November due to the lack of stocks which was totally uncommon back then and still is uncommon nowadays for Nintendo consoles (which are more family friendly compared to PS and XB).

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Sorry, I forgot to add REALISTIC post-apocalyptic 3rd person action-adventure games.

Moving the goal post I see

Two hypothetical questions after this news:

1) would Switch 2 be counted under the Switch family's sales? I guess only time will tell how they consider the Switch 2 generation.
2) are we sure it's Switch Pro coming next year and not Switch 2? Feels like a pro around the corner from a 2 feels silly at this point.

Plus, Switch 2 is easier branding for third parties wanting to port more stuff that won't work on a first-gen Switch.

When they actually support it properly, third parties almost always see a return. Happy to see they've found success on the platform.

A switch pro is far more likely, a full successor platform would be insane with sales as strong as they are.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
thats a strange take. how can you not like ANY of their games?

also you can't dislike something you never tried.
I understand that if someone focuses mostly on playing big AAA games like RDR2, Valhalla, COD, Cyberpunk etc, Switch doesn't seem appealing. Though I know people who were like that, bought a Switch after its big success and were converted. But every person is different.

LOL you got a warning for a satire post.