• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Switch 2017 x 2018 x 2019 x 2020
Code:
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
|Month| 2017| 2018| 2019| 2020|
| JAN |     | 270k| 284k| 270k|
| FEB |     | 279k| 363k| 350k|
| MAR | 906k| 308k| 385k|1000k|
| APR | 281k| 171k| 225k| 808k|
| MAY | 165k| 166k| 215k| 529k|
| JUN | 216k| 323k| 329k| 513k|
| JUL | 222k| 263k| 252k| 340k|
| AUG | 205k| 203k| 241k| 504k|
| SEP | 309k| 259k| 432k| 670k|
| OCT | 280k| 255k| 309k| 736k|
| NOV | 775k|1356k|1428k|     |
| DEC |1500k|1770k|2036k|     |
| TOT |4859k|5623k|6500k|5730k|

Source: i took from the old site.
Substituting 513k for 365k in June gives us 5582k. That means Switch needs to sell 4.42 million units in Nov+Dec to match 10m for the full calendar year 2020.

Oct 27, 2017
I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask, but where is the full non-Nintendo/Switch focused October 2020 NPD thread?

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I really feel like I am just out of touch. I don't like Nintendo's first party games and just don't get the appeal of the switch. But damn do people buy it in droves.

Thats ok, there are plenty of other cool games to like. Sometimes i also feel tired about their games too, just like from time to time I dont even wanna look at another 3rd person action narrative driven game.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
January-October comparison for Switch sales in the US:

Emsj7k4XIAA0fe-

Funny thing is that the gap is widening again with 2019 in terms of YoY growth. For reference 2019 was the best year for a platform in the US this generation.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Too much variety. Nintendo lacks terribly in post-apocalyptic 3rd person action-adventure games.
Ironically enough, SMT V will be released worldwide on the same day thanks to Nintendo. It's a post-apocalypyic 3rd person turn-based game but close enough. SMT III is already out too, so big cinematic AAA games are the only one not on Switch and tbh I'm not missing them one bit.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Of all the months we have collected, my LTD for Switch right now is over 22.7M

The only month that we didn't get concrete data on was June 2020 where nothing leaked for Switch, and the #1 predictor had Switch at over 500K.

I'm thinking we could cut down that month down but maybe Dolorean can help there

I have Switch at 22.57 million units in total with this month, which is fine with the article.
The one thing that makes no sense is the 63 million "sold in" from Nintendo lol, that was sold through and was from 2 months ago.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Lmao at people in this thread who don't get it. Use your imagination. You can throw this thing in a backpack. Imagine the hordes of teenagers taking these to school to play Smash in the cafeteria. Imagine not having one and feeling left out. Imagine sleepovers, vacations, roadtrips etc... and being able to take your system with you. The Switch is a cultural phenomenon. A full fledged Nintendo home console you can experience on the go.

On top of all that, Nintendo has successfully positioned themselves as the go-to family brand by appealing to a much larger audience. My wife logs into Animal Crossing once a week to play online with our 10 year old niece, for example, and I just can't picture this on any other system.

Nintendo continues to thrive as a household brand because they've captured a corner of the market that Microsoft and Sony simply can't touch. It's one of the reasons why Nintendo is always comfortable ignoring their own competitors in business statements.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thats a strange take. how can you not like ANY of their games?

also you can't dislike something you never tried.

I've actually tried quite a few switch games thanks to friends and family. I liked fire emblem, smash is fun but I've been playing smash for over 20 years now it's nothing special anymore, hated BoTW, never liked animal crossing, not a splatoon or mario kart person, ive been burned out on platformers for years so none of them interest me. The most exciting switch game to me was marvel alliance when it was announced, but then it was terrible. Metroid would interest me, but it's vaporware at this point.

It's the most disconnected I've felt from a console ever, just an odd situation. I get why people like the hardware, portably is important in many peoples lives.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually tried quite a few switch games thanks to friends and family. I liked fire emblem, smash is fun but I've been playing smash for over 20 years now it's nothing special anymore, hated BoTW, never liked animal crossing, not a splatoon or mario kart person, ive been burned out on platformers for years so none of them interest me. The most exciting switch game to me was marvel alliance when it was announced, but then it was terrible. Metroid would interest me, but it's vaporware at this point.

It's the most disconnected I've felt from a console ever, just an odd situation. I get why people like the hardware, portably is important in many peoples lives.
Just FYI Metroid is absolutely not vaporware. Supposedly a new 2D Metroid is happening likely next year and Metroid Prime 4 is probably aiming for 2022, since it did officially get rebooted in 2019 (though rumor has it Retro has been working on it since early 2018).

Either way we've been told Metroid fans will be well taken care of on Switch, it just might take a bit longer.

Oct 26, 2017

Have you tried the ARMS demo?

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
At this point, if the Switch doesn't fall of a cliff, i will easily outsell the PS4's total sales. I think at this point we start to have to compare it to PS2 and DS cuz there is not much else left.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Uuufff, these are incredible numbers. But it seems that the pattern of japanese and US sales are very different, because in japanese October, the sales were lower than they were in September. In the US it is the extreme opposite. So it should highly depend on Nintendos deliverys.

Question: Does NPD-November contain Cyber Monday this year?

Almost always December. 2018 was an exception where Cyber Monday fell in November.

Not sure where the 500k June came from. June Switch was ~365k and up ~9% yoy.

Thanks for this!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
At this point, if the Switch doesn't fall of a cliff, i will easily outsell the PS4's total sales. I think at this point we start to have to compare it to PS2 and DS cuz there is not much else left.
Yup, Switch is headed for some historic lifetime performance. Also with Bowser mentioning that the Switch is still a long way from the end of its life, there is an opportunity for the system to approach the record holders imo. The system should be approaching 90M by the end of March, so just over 4 years in. And year 5 has been rumoured to be a flagship year in terms of software, so that should keep up momentum a lot as well I feel.

(And with the Dutch government (an advisory body, to be exact) telling us vaccinations might just take OVER A YEAR even if they get their hands on one by the start of 2021, this whole COVID business won't be over soon, either 😢 )