Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is the demand for Switch in the US this high that it's sold out? There is plenty of stock all over europe.

Yeah US and Japan (up until recently) are essentially sold out. Amazon US shows Switches in stock but they aren't able to be shipped for several weeks, meaning they are not actually in stock, they're just anticipating a new shipment.

Europe is definitely a bit weaker of a market for Nintendo so it makes sense that it's less constrained there.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
NPD is revenue based, not units, so with Miles being a $40 game, it would take three copies to equal two copies of a standard game, or more for the $70 next gen prices. Not counting the Ultimate edition that is.

May 12, 2020

This can't just be supply constraints because I've been seeing posts on Reddit of people walking into stores and buying them. Surely not having Halo Infinite didn't help.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Looking at that chart, the first thing that springs to mind is how good this year has been for gaming. So many good games in different genres to choose from as we slide into the next generation.

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
Nice numbers for PS5. And that's Xbox's strongest market.
Worldwide probably already way ahead.
Will be hard to catch up. We'll see. Interesting months ahead.

But consoles don't seem to be their sole focus anymore,
so hat might help.

Last edited:

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
So, I'm guessing MS touting "biggest launch ever" was based on those extra territories they didn't previously have now accounting for the extra units?

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Is the demand for Switch in the US this high that it's sold out? There is plenty of stock all over europe.

It is not plentiful. It comes in and out of stock. The only model of OG Switch currently in stock on amazon UK for example is the Animal Crossing bundle - OG Neon / Gray are sold out. And GAME UK are also sold out of the NEON / Gray. There are supply issues to still iron out basically everywhere

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It pisses me off so bad that CoD is once again the best selling game of the year and Treyarch and Activision can't be fucked to fix the game so that it won't hard crash the PS5 and XSX a month after release.

Absolutely shit tier company.

May 12, 2020
How do you know the specifics about their allocations? Why didn't Sony allocate more to Japan, their homeland? There are tradeoffs to be made by anyone launching a hotly desired product.

How do you know the specifics about their allocations?

I never said that

Why didn't Sony allocate more to Japan, their homeland?

Japan is not their biggest market. People in Japan don't buy consoles.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
How do you know the specifics about their allocations?

I never said that

Why didn't Sony allocate more to Japan, their homeland?

Japan is not their biggest market. People in Japan don't buy consoles.
LOL what? Have you seen the Switch sales in Japan this year? They certainly do buy consoles. What are you on about?

But back to your original post, you're posting anecdotal evidence. What you've seen on reddit literally has no bearing on what's actually going on.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
But Japan got a pittance of their supply. They say Japan is important to them but they can't be bothered to get even a moderate amount of supply to the country? come on
How many units did Sony supply for the ps5 launch?

How much did that breakdown across each territory?

How valuable is each territory in terms of revenue?

How much potential growth is available in each territory?

How would stock allocation affect said potential growth or decline in each territory?

Japan is an important territory for Sony but non handheld devices are trending down with seemingly no way around it in Japan. Sony also don't have anything to worry about in terms of competition because Nintendo will dominate regardless and Sony already sent roughly 10x as many units as Xbox did there.

I honestly don't understand why so many people here are seemingly unable to understand the big picture when it comes to selling a console globally.

May 12, 2020
LOL what? Have you seen the Switch sales in Japan this year? They certainly do buy consoles. What are you on about?

But back to your original post, you're posting anecdotal evidence. What you've seen on reddit literally has no bearing on what's actually going on.

PS5 and Xbox S|X don't compete with Switch. Also, this is my last reply to you.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Congratulations to Sony and Nintendo for the incredible month. Good to see both brands doing well!

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Up until November Switch console sales in 2020 are up 55% in US and up 39% in Japan compared to 2019.
Basically in 2020 there was a sharp increase of demand everywhere (America, Europe, Japan, rest of Asia etc.).

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I think I have to eat the crow.

I argued that Sony would have shipped enough units to US for extreme launch hype to beat Switch in units. Seems that wasn't the case.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
It seems that the US market videogame industry is VERY HEALTHY
this is the most relevant news here

Switch selling tons of units, almost in line with last year's Pokemon launch with...a Mosou game.
- Do we know how many times a console sold more than 1.35 million units in the US in November? Switch did it twice (2019 and 2018) by few units
- Do we have estimate comparisons for Age of Calamity vs other Warriors games?

PS5 best launch ever, and even supply constrained; going by the success of PS4, this thing will sell a lot right off the gate and Sony's and third party support will sustain it in a regular way

Xbox Series selling out, could have probably matched their best launch ever, if fully available, despite the lack of a proper KA at launch; I think that value proposition (with both consoles and Gamepass) is right there in terms of good market share

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
Is Demon's Souls the only game on the top 10 that was released on only one platform?

Edit: I think that the Nintendo games on the list were released only on Switch. But it is still impressive because there are so many fewer PS5 sold compared to the Nintendo Switch.