Status
Not open for further replies.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was Nintendo's fastest selling Mario report worldwide?

Both Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe tweeted that it was the fastest selling "Super Mario" game, and we know from Japan it is easily th fastest selling 3D Mario there, though not necessarily 2D included.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
So Switch won last 4 NPD's and still PS4 leads YTD. Looks like those victories are pretty small.
Yeah, the lead each month wasn't that big (before October) and the severely low stock after launch didn't help. The YTD difference as of this month has to be very small I'd imagine.

2018 will be a pretty good year to see which console comes out on top every month.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Destiny's drop was expected but more pronounced, I thought it was sell worse than the debut in its second month but to fall to 9th place behind Madden, that's surprising. Its no wonder Activision has gone quiet even as they launched it on PC.
Except Activision did not go quiet. They announced Destiny 2 was bigger than Destiny 1 in the same timeframe with the PC launch, but that was almost 1 month ago.

The chart in this thread contains no digital Destiny 2 PC sales at all.

Ismailman

Oct 29, 2017
The install base gap is much larger in other territories. My interpretation is that GTS is now like Forza and mainly selling to just racing fans on the console, whereas previously GT games would be "events" unto themselves and attract a much broader audience.

Because GTSports is outselling it everywhere else, so I thought it would surely be the case here too. Weird. And very surprising.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Top 3 isn' surprising at all to those who have been paying attention. Shadow of War was always going to perform well.

Forza over GTS on the other hand, that surprises me

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, all that really matters is that Nintendo is healthy. Sony is healthy. And hopefully the X jolts the Xbox brand back to life in NA.

A healthy video game industry is what we should all hope for.

In general, all people seem to care about is who "wins". Whose number is at the top. But it's far more important that a company just be successful. Nintendo doesn't have to "beat" Sony to be successful.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
How many were successful outside of Horizon? Successful enough to justify the money third parties want to make on marquee titles.

Edit: And just so you know, I'm not happy about this development.
We've just seen Super Mario Odyssey Assassin's Creed sell extremely well. Same with Shadow of War, which would have sold exactly the same if it contained no microtransactions.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
So Switch won last 4 NPD's and still PS4 leads YTD. Looks like those victories are pretty small.

tenor.gif

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
the kicker is all those dont affect the enjoyment of your original purchase but supplement it. which is something Overwatch does and Battlefront 2 didnt.
Yes, I agree Battlefront's monetization is bad.

This is why I also raised issue with putting microtransaction orcs in Shadow of War historically since it seemed like a blockade (not fun for customers) instead of a bonus (fun for customers).

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Shadow of War had that exhausting commercial w/ the Cranberries song run every hour. I hope this doesn't mean the massive return of pop-song themed TV ads.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
After a certain point, rather than making flawed defenses like "Bethesda didn't market the games enough/right" - "the game's release date was bad" - "lack of review copies are impacting sales of the game" -"etc"...

All of the underperforming Bethesda games over the past 12 months all experience a degree of the above, but not all of them are true. We've had games that are marketed better/worse than others; better release dates, different levels of reception, yet all of them underperform. And it's honestly unfair to automatically attribute things like late reviews are the killer reasons for its poor performance, when data and trends suggest more and more reviews aren't that huge an influencer anymore.

The strong constant between all of these Bethesda games is that they're... genres that aren't doing too hot today, established IP or no. And the quality of the games, good as they are; are not great enough to break it out of its shell and constraints it puts on itself.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't really matter. GT has historically sold more on release day than Forza would in the first month. For Forza to beat GT in sales really shows how far Polyphony missed the mark. Usually they could release utter crap and it would still sell millions, ie. GT5, but maybe their last 2 releases (5 and 6) have done more damage to the brand than people thought.

The surprise is that GT games usually outsell Forza games like 10 to 1. I don't think anyone expected Forza 7 to beat GTS, nor should they have.
We should add Forza 6 sales to the total too, given that since GT6, Turn 10 did the entire development cycle and release of that game too.

I mean, between GT6 release and GT Sport release, Forza 5+6+7 have all released! And GT Sport isn't even a mainline sequel.

Turn10 is the only first party studio Microsoft has got right, it's just a shame for them that racing games aren't a big market anymore.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except Activision did not go quiet. They announced Destiny 2 was bigger than Destiny 1 in the same timeframe with the PC launch, but that was almost 1 month ago.

The chart in this thread contains no digital Destiny 2 PC sales at all.

Destiny in 2014 in it's second month was 5th in on the NPD and that was purely due to physical sales(NPD didn't track digital sales in 2014).
Outside of AC:O, SoW and SMO I didn't expect that many titles to be ahead of Destiny during it's second month. FIFA and NBA2K certainly but seeing WWE and Madden ahead of Destiny's second month doesn't exactly strike me as a small drop. Destiny 2 isn't a SP game so this type of drop might have long term consequences if future content isn't well receive and doesn't generate new playerbase. In any case if the situation is not optimal for Activision I think we should be expecting very good deals for Destiny 2 around Black Friday.

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, all that really matters is that Nintendo is healthy. Sony is healthy. And hopefully the X jolts the Xbox brand back to life in NA.

A healthy video game industry is what we should all hope for.

I definitely agree with that. The industry as a whole being healthy and thriving is what we all should be hoping for.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, I look at TEW2 and Wolfenstein II being 13 and 14 respectively overall as better than expected. Look at all the games in front of them. The four sports games ahead of them have been out since August/September and are huge every year. GTA V sells all the fucking time!!! Seriously, who DOESN'T own this game already???? Jeez. Destiny 2 is an MMO FPS RPG or whatever and thus will sell consistently. FM7 and GTSport can be lumped in with the sports games.

As for the top three...do console bundles count? If so, im guessing that factors in as well. There's a console bundle for all three games. Shadow of War was released earlier in the month and if anything, should have been number one just because of it's release date plus who doesn't want to see a spider turn into a hot babe? Mario is Mario and would obviously sell like hotcakes and probably at a 1 to 1 ratio with those who own a Switch. ACO comes back after a year hiatus but yet, looks to be turning into Unity which may hurt Ubisoft in the long run.

Wolfenstein III is to me a guarantee for spring 2020/2021. It's already been hinted at and is all but confirmed. TEW2 on the other hand seems to be finished in my opinion regardless of sales. Those who played it such as myself simply don't see an opening unless they want to make something up. Plus, Mikami is rumored to be leaving/retiring. I think Tango Gameworks moves on to a new IP while Machine Games goes to work on the finale once all their DLC is done.

Plus without actual numbers, they could be behind Shadow of War by only 100 copies. Granted, that's highly unlikely but I don't think that either did as bad as people think. Also, three other factors play into it all. First, the original TEW and Wolfenstein were cross gen games and released in 2014 which let's be honest was a cross over year. Second, I think that with Shadow of War, Origins and Mario, majority of games decided to go with the open world type games knowing that there would be a far greater chance at the shorter linear games being cheaper come Black Weekend. Third and this only applies to Best Buy but pre-ordering Mario, Shadow of War and Origins also gave you a $10 reward certificate where as TEW2 and Wolenstein 2 didn't. Granted, Best Buy sales probably aren't as high as Amazon or GameStop but for those who are smart, want to save money and have GCU, why NOT buy those three games for $38 each plus tax while waiting on the linear games to go on sale?

To me, it has more to do with open world versus linear as opposed to single player is dead because going by the top three, that's obviously not the case whatsoever. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see both in the top ten for November.

Of course, this is just my own personal opinion. Bethesda isn't stupid and im sure that unlike SE, Capcom, EA, etc., their sales expectations were reasonable considering the release dates of both games.

Oct 25, 2017
I know software is reported on a total dollar spend basis, but is it the same for hardware as well or is that in total units sold? I'm curious because the Xbox One X is pretty expensive so I just wanted to figure that into where it charts next month.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just noticed The Evil Within 2 over Wolfenstein 2. Wtf?

How?

Not even FPS games can escape the death hand of singleplayer focused curse.

jdznd

Oct 30, 2017
Wolfenstein 2 is doing worse than Prey on Steam. It took 2 weeks Prey to break 200k, but 3 weeks for Wolf 2. Have to consider Wolf 2 did have much bigger competitors, but on the other hand Prey did have less marketing and was basically a new IP.

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow of War being #1 is such a disappointment. Ah well, I'm mostly done with the AAA industry as it is and the direction it's heading down.

It can burn and crash for all I care now.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know software is reported on a total dollar spend basis, but is it the same for hardware as well or is that in total units sold? I'm curious because the Xbox One X is pretty expensive so I just wanted to figure that into where it charts next month.

If I don't clarify if it's units or rev it's because it is both.

Oct 26, 2017
Xenoverse 2 #10 on the Switch chart HAS to be a big deal (it's at 400k shipped worldwide IIRC). Also very happy to see Fire Emblem Warriors #4 on said chart. Must be doing a lot better in NA than in Japan at least.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

This reminds me.
Someone on GAF predicted the Switch would run the table for 2017 starting a few months ago.
A lot of people, myself included, seriously doubted that. Given PS4 Destiny 2 month, Xbox 1 X, and overall poor stock.

It's looking decently plausible now. Wonder who predicted it.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Destiny in 2014 in it's second month was 5th in on the NPD and that was purely due to physical sales(NPD didn't track digital sales in 2014).
Outside of AC:O, SoW and SMO I didn't expect that many titles to be ahead of Destiny during it's second month. FIFA and NBA2K certainly but seeing WWE and Madden ahead of Destiny's second month doesn't exactly strike me as a small drop. Destiny 2 isn't a SP game so this type of drop might have long term consequences if future content isn't well receive and doesn't generate new playerbase. In any case if the situation is not optimal for Activision I think we should be expecting very good deals for Destiny 2 around Black Friday.

First you said that Activision was quiet because the game is having bad legs, I told you that was wrong and in fact Activision commented the game was doing very good and they were happy, and then you doubled down because you really *want* to push your made up narrative.

Meanwhile, all your analysis is ignoring that in the month the PC version launched, there is almost no PC sales being tracked by this thread.

And the definitive proof of bad legs, there will be sales in Black Friday. I guess every AAA game bombs every year then. smh.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Looking at evil within 2 and Wolfenstein new colossus, I think the era of loot box free Bethesda is officially coming to an end...

Well, i'm OK with that, as long as these two franchises well still exist in the future. I can already imagine the backlash when people find out there's loot boxes in these games. However, I understand gaming industry is still a business. You gotta do what you have do to make money or shareholders will find someone else to do it.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You mean in places where the install base discrepancy is huge?

I'm willing to bet that in most regions where the install bases are fairly close-ish, Forza would be selling more or better relatively.

GTSports sold ~80k in UK first week and Forza 7 sold ~30k. PS4 and One are relatively close in UK.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The install base gap is much larger in other territories. My interpretation is that GTS is now like Forza and mainly selling to just racing fans on the console, whereas previously GT games would be "events" unto themselves and attract a much broader audience.
I can see that. All my friends and I HAD to have gt back in the ps1 and ps2 days. Now it's meh. Lost all of its luster.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they can get someone more passionate about games working on GT. I would be nice to not be hit by a wave of office suit boredom when I start a GT title.

Status
Not open for further replies.