dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I am debating waiting for the SUPER or getting the older, cheaper 2060.
You should wait simply because the older 2060 is likely to become even cheaper after Super launch.

Damn Remedy for implementing two RTX features in this game. They want me to buy a 2080ti. I have a feeling Cyberpunk will use more than one as well.
The number of effects implemented with RT doesn't say much about performance. We should wait for benchmarks before making any judgement.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm... that's probably good enough for me. I can't decide how big a difference the 6 gig vs. 8 gig memory would make at 1080p.

To be fair, the memory buffer very, VERY rarely gets full. It's just the core count and speed that make a difference at this point, and the 2070/super2060 (if the rumours are true) can chew through more of the DXR stuff than the 2060.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would be absolutely gobsmacked if the 2080 super had 11GB vram. Rumours are all over the show and the more reputable rumours seem to suggest that only the 2060 is getting a VRAM bump (6->8gb) which is itself kind of mind blowing to me.
Zero chance that happens

TU102 is expensive and I really doubt they'll be using it for 2080S.
The rumored 3072 core count basically confirms it's gonna use the full TU104 chip, which the vanilla 2080 was already very close to.
For reference the 2080 Ti has 4352 CUDA cores , the 2080S (as rumored) won't be close.

2080 to 2080S looks to be a 5-7% perf increase, not worth it

This all makes me feel a little better. Hopefully we get some concrete evidence soon. I really like my 2080 TBH and I can't stretch to a Ti.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
So.

Zen 3900x
2080Ti Super
Asus PG35Q Ultrawide 4K/HDR/Gsync

The Asus just released in China today, so US will be soon enough.

3900x should be good enough gaming performence, and I also do a shit ton of 4K Video Editing and Photoshop/Lightroom.

Any recommendations for Mobo/Ram combo?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 2080 Ti just continues to surprise me at how well it can handle 4k stuff even with DXR on. I think things will get even better as developers get more used to this feature.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My 2080 Ti just continues to surprise me at how well it can handle 4k stuff even with DXR on. I think things will get even better as developers get more used to this feature.
Indeed. 4K + Ultra on even the most demanding games and I never get a hitch at 60fps. MSI Trio 2080 Ti.

It's seriously impressive (although should be for the price!)

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California

Pulled the trigger on a Gigabyte 2080ti. DF saying they played Control on a PC with 1080p monitor showing off the RTX features at E3 doesn't bode well for the 2080. Should go without saying that PC either had a 2080ti or a Titan inside it

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
So.

Zen 3900x
2080Ti Super
Asus PG35Q Ultrawide 4K/HDR/Gsync

The Asus just released in China today, so US will be soon enough.

3900x should be good enough gaming performence, and I also do a shit ton of 4K Video Editing and Photoshop/Lightroom.

Any recommendations for Mobo/Ram combo?

That Asus is never coming out.

Yep. The first real 4k card imo. And then you get spoiled at the performance and take it as "normal". 4k is a fucking hog of a resolution.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I have a 120hz 4K gsync hdr monitor so until we get 90+fps with rtx on I won't be truly happy lol

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbf ACO is more cpu intensive than anything else
I know, but saying the 2080ti is 4k/60 at everything is not true, i have my 2080ti water-cooled, temp never goes above 60, running at 2.1 ghz with the OC i have it on, no temp throttling and still can't run AC:O at native 4k/60, Metro Exodus, RIME, many games, some are not optimized property but for the most part this card is not THE 4K card, I'd say it plays 65% of my library at 4k/60.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I know, but saying the 2080ti is 4k/60 at everything is not true, i have my 2080ti water-cooled, temp never goes above 60, running at 2.1 ghz with the OC i have it on, no temp throttling and still can't run AC:O at native 4k/60, Metro Exodus, RIME, many games, some are not optimized property but for the most part this card is not THE 4K card, I'd say it plays 65% of my library at 4k/60.

Well yeah it may not do EVERYTHING at 60, but generally speaking, it's a pretty great 4k card. You just have to open the pocketbook to get there.

RTX enabled at 4k humbles it though.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I didn't say it runs everything at perfect 60, but it runs things close enough that I'm happy leaving settings at 4k/ultra.

And this is talking newer games, with older games its amazing at keeping 4k/60.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Metro Exodus runs at a locked 60 unless you have RTX all the way to the max without DLSS enabled, but that's ray tracing. When I'm saying Ultra I was thinking without ray tracing tbh.

RIME only struggles if you have that ridiculous AA option enabled which kills performance on any GPU, otherwise locked 60fps. Bit of an anomaly.

Not tried ACO because I don't really do Ubisoft games but I don't doubt what you're saying.

Can't think of anything else that isn't a locked 60 at 4k Ultra though. Whether Sekiro, FH4, Plague's Tale, DMC5, etc, even the latest titles are a locked 60. i9-9900k here. I don't doubt that we'll have to drop settings somewhat to achieve this when next gen hits though but we'll have the 3080ti at that point.

Deleted member 17289

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metro Exodus runs at a locked 60 unless you have RTX all the way to the max without DLSS enabled, but that's ray tracing. When I'm saying Ultra I was thinking without ray tracing tbh.

RIME only struggles if you have that ridiculous AA option enabled which kills performance on any GPU, otherwise locked 60fps. Bit of an anomaly.

Not tried ACO because I don't really do Ubisoft games but I don't doubt what you're saying.

Can't think of anything else that isn't a locked 60 at 4k Ultra though. Whether Sekiro, FH4, Plague's Tale, DMC5, etc, even the latest titles are a locked 60. i9-9900k here. I don't doubt that we'll have to drop settings somewhat to achieve this when next gen hits though but we'll have the 3080ti at that point.
This is not true, Metro Exodus does not run at a locked 60 with all settings on highest at 4K, i believe i have a very capable PC and to get a locked 60 i have to lower the internal resolution to 80% of 4K, and this is having RTX off, you may have moments when the frame is stable at 60 but when the action starts the frame rate dips to the lower 50s. Regardless of your opinions and mine we are both happy with the card, all that matters.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This is not true, Metro Exodus does not run at a locked 60 with all settings on highest at 4K, i believe i have a very capable PC and to get a locked 60 i have to lower the internal resolution to 80% of 4K, and this is having RTX off, you may have moments when the frame is stable at 60 but when the action starts the frame rate dips to the lower 50s. Regardless of your opinions and mine we are both happy with the card, all that matters.
That's totally not my experience with Metro Exodus + MSI Trio 2080TI + i9-9900k. Not sure what else to say, I assure you it's a locked 60fps for me and I've played through half the campaign. I hate frame drops which is why I recently invested in a gaming PC to replace my X.

But indeed I'm glad you're happy with the card too. It's great and the Trio runs really quiet too.

Deleted member 17289

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's totally not my experience with Metro Exodus + MSI Trio 2080TI + i9-9900k. Not sure what else to say, I assure you it's a locked 60fps for me and I've played through half the campaign. I hate frame drops which is why I recently invested in a gaming PC to replace my X.

But indeed I'm glad you're happy with the card too. It's great and the Trio runs really quiet too.
Your CPU might be the factor i guess, i have a 8700k delided running at 5 ghz, i can't think of anything else lol. The best thing for me about this card is playing the Witcher 3 at 4k with a gazillion mods, it looks incredible.

Mar 29, 2018

Off topic, but the amount of people who have said "I don't do Ubisoft" games only to completely flip on that when they try Odyssey is vast. Highly recommended. It's either Odyssey or Watch Dogs 2 that make them realise Ubisoft can actually make a good game these days.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017

I have a 2080 and I can't hold 60 at 1440p with Exodus, so I somewhat doubt that your 2080ti can do it at 4k. Most of the game is OK but once I get to the forests I had to turn on DLSS and it still dropped a lot of frames (and the DLSS looks artificially sharpened to me, ugly halos around high contrast, so I prefer it off).

The game still looks really great and I'm glad they supported RT, but the perf is definitely a bit variable still.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The last area, Taiga I think, is the most demanding.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I have a 2080 and I can't hold 60 at 1440p with Exodus, so I somewhat doubt that your 2080ti can do it at 4k. Most of the game is OK but once I get to the forests I had to turn on DLSS and it still dropped a lot of frames (and the DLSS looks artificially sharpened to me, ugly halos around high contrast, so I prefer it off).

The game still looks really great and I'm glad they supported RT, but the perf is definitely a bit variable still.
Yeah, just to be clear I'm talking a locked 60 with everything on max but RTX disabled.

Completely agree about DLSS, it's ugly as hell in its current form IMHO. Hopefully it'll improve in future.
Your CPU might be the factor i guess, i have a 8700k delided running at 5 ghz, i can't think of anything else lol. The best thing for me about this card is playing the Witcher 3 at 4k with a gazillion mods, it looks incredible.
Witcher 3 really is a sight to behold. Can't wait for Cyberpunk!

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Reflections and GI. No one cares about raytraced shadows.
I care about raytraced shadows.

I care about them very much actually as I'm tired of this shit:

post.cgittkjh.jpg

post2.cgih0kmq.jpg

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
"How Cyberpunk 2077 Will Utilize RTX"
"There are a few ways we are using it. We just want to make sure that the city really looks Cyberpunk so it reflects nicely in like puddles, because the realistic look of the game is our goal"
Very informative.
I was mad at the clickbait title but couldn't stay mad because the same video told me that Bloodlines was somehow influential on Cyberpunk, which I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So im gonna build gaming pc next year , in preparation for cyberpunk. And I have been out of pc hardware game for 5 years or so. My question relating to cpu. Is AMD the better choice now? Since I see a lot of positive buzz around it over intel stuff.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
What is your tier list for the raytracing features if you could only have two in a game?
GI > Shadows > Reflections
Having seen them all by now I firmly believe that reflections should only be added when GI and shadows are already in as otherwise SSRs and even cube maps do a good enough job.
This opinion may change though if at some point we'll get a game where RT will in fact provide reflectivity on surfaces which would be impossible to make reflective with screen space or other rasterization techniques.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
RTX SUPER cards was officially announced with 25% more power, at the same price as old card.... feel bad being early adopter...

It's been 9+ months.

Reading this thread I'd assume that most people had never bought GPU's before.

I also haven't personally seen anything from NV referencing 25%. Are there receipts for this?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Glad I didn't wait to snag a 2080ti earlier this summer when I could get a deal. It was right before the 'super' teaser dropped and I almost returned it, but I couldn't re-buy it at the same price now and it's been great so far (XC Ultra).

RTX SUPER cards was officially announced with 25% more power, at the same price as old card.... feel bad being early adopter...

GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER $699
GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER $499
GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER $399
It's not 25%... most games it's less than a 10% difference. Just OC your card/memory and you'll be ok

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
its way to soon if you compared with previous generations of card, I bought mine on february so I consider myself an early adopter.... but everyone to their own...

The data doesn't back this up. The delay between 1080 Ti until 2080/2080 Ti (etc) was much longer than usual (18+ months). If you throw out that data point, the average time between Nvidia releases going back to the 780 (2013) was about 9 months. The time between the 2000 series launch and the Supers is roughly 9 months.

1080 Ti to 2000 series stagnation aside, you purchased your card more than halfway through an Nvidia product cycle.