• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I think it would depend on the title. Titles with very intensive RT effects are likely to see dips at 1440p.

Watch Dogs looks so good. Exactly the right game for RT reflections.

Dying Light 2 seems to be doing GI and shadows based on this comparison.
https://images.nvidia.com/geforce-c...ing-interactive-comparison-001-on-vs-off.html

Metro getting an update to the GI implementation when the DLC comes out with support for area lights, point lights and emissive lights. Really want to see this in action.
https://images.nvidia.com/geforce-c...ing-interactive-comparison-001-on-vs-off.html

Also don't sleep on the trailer for the Tencent game. I think their implementation looks great and feels natural.

I've got mixed feelings about your exemples. They change too much about the overall look of the game. It's like a wholly different artistic direction.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
New Nvidia Driver releasing on the 20th will improve performance in multiple games as well as add requested community features... Hmm. Wonder what those could be?

New Game Ready Driver Launches August 20 With Faster Performance, and New Features
Make sure you fire up GeForce Experience after 6am PT on August 20th to download and install a new Game Ready Driver that accelerates performance in several games and adds new community-requested features. For all the details, head here once the driver's released.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
New Nvidia Driver releasing on the 20th will improve performance in multiple games as well as add requested community features... Hmm. Wonder what those could be?
Cool. They've been pretty quiet lately so I'm hoping for a really good driver release. I wonder if this will be the Borderlands 3 driver or if another one will come just a couple of weeks later.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I like shiny reflections as much as the next guy but give me that global illumination any day of the week. It looks too good.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
I think it would depend on the title. Titles with very intensive RT effects are likely to see dips at 1440p.

Metro getting an update to the GI implementation when the DLC comes out with support for area lights, point lights and emissive lights. Really want to see this in action.

Also don't sleep on the trailer for the Tencent game. I think their implementation looks great and feels natural.

Thanks, from what I gather 2070 is not good enough to play at 1440p and 60fps with RTX on. Will the 2080 (no Ti version) suffice?

Only if you are okay with 30 fps. My 2080 Ti can barely do Metro 1440p, 60 fps, maxed out.

I am beginning to think that investing in the current gent RTX card is a waste of time and money. Perhaps, it will be best to wait a year or two for next gen RTX cards?!?

PS
Thank you both.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I am beginning to think that investing in the current gent RTX card is a waste of time and money. Perhaps, it will be best to wait a year or two for next gen RTX cards?!?
Hopefully. The first gen RTX cards seem like a proof of concept, but the overall performance hit seems counterintuitive to what enthusiasts get into PC gaming for, IE high frame rates and graphics settings. I plan to jump on the 2180ti 3080ti whatever the next gen 80ti is and would really like to use the RTX features, but not if I can't get a decent frame rate out of 1440p.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Hopefully. The first gen RTX cards seem like a proof of concept, but the overall performance hit seems counterintuitive to what enthusiasts get into PC gaming for, IE high frame rates and graphics settings. I plan to jump on the 2180ti 3080ti whatever the next gen 80ti is and would really like to use the RTX features, but not if I can't get a decent frame rate out of 1440p.

This is exactly what I am getting from the current gen RTX cards. You either go 2080TI (which are expensive as f*ck) or go bust, meaning that the lower models even the 2080 are not sufficient for 1440p at 60fps with RTX on.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
So... I've got a question concerning the 2080 Ti and Cyberpunk 2077. Maybe it's a dumb question. What I want is to play Cyberpunk 2077 at 4K with all effects and sliders at Ultra AND with every ray tracing/RTX eye candy at full too.

If I'm aiming for 30 fps, will a GTX 2080 Ti do the trick (in combination with a i7 6700K @ 4.0 ghz and 16 GB RAM)?

Or does one even need a stronger card to pull this off...

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
So... I've got a question concerning the 2080 Ti and Cyberpunk 2077. Maybe it's a dumb question. What I want is to play Cyberpunk 2077 at 4K with all effects and sliders at Ultra AND with every ray tracing/RTX eye candy at full too.

If I'm aiming for 30 fps, will a GTX 2080 Ti do the trick (in combination with a i7 6700K @ 4.0 ghz and 16 GB RAM)?

Or does one even need a stronger card to pull this off...

Nobody knows. The original gameplay demo from last year was run on a 1080ti @ 4k 30fps.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Damn, a lot of games I'm interested in getting RTX support, too bad most of them are probably going to be hard for me to run at even 1080/60 on my 2070. I'm planning on splurging for a 3080 when it comes out if financially possible, but most of these games will be old news by then. I'll probably skip more solo focused games like Watch Dogs and Dying light until then.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Dying Light 2 looks like the best of the bunch from those announcements, the GI and shadows together make an absolutely stunning difference.

Regarding the new requested feature my guess is nearest neighbor upscaling for people who want pixel-perfect 720p -> 1440p or 1080p -> 4k.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This is exactly what I am getting from the current gen RTX cards. You either go 2080TI (which are expensive as f*ck) or go bust, meaning that the lower models even the 2080 are not sufficient for 1440p at 60fps with RTX on.

Yep, Im going 2080Super so Im basically ignoring RTX for now, seems like it wont run at 1440p and a decent framerate on really anything except a 2080ti. So this will be a next gen feature for me. I like 144hz and 1440p far too much. I will even turn down settings to maintain it. It means that much to me.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
having now seen all the new RTX media, im really not a fan of the reflections. most of the time its just way overdone and looks worse than without it. developers are turning the floor into mirrors. when its done right its a cool bit of refinement, but doesnt really change the overall look of the game, and therefor not worth such a huge performance hit to me. shadows look good but again, its more of a refinement thing and not worth the performance hit. GI is the only one i can absolutely get behind as it actually transforms the game. too bad only metro and dying light 2 are using it

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Yep, Im going 2080Super so Im basically ignoring RTX for now, seems like it wont run at 1440p and a decent framerate on really anything except a 2080ti. So this will be a next gen feature for me. I like 144hz and 1440p far too much. I will even turn down settings to maintain it. It means that much to me.
Can you do raytracing at 60 with the 2080? At 1080p

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ignorant on the nitty gritty of PC tech so forgive my ignorance, but is the goal of RTX cards to eventually replace GTX cards? Is the goal for eventually every game to feature Raytracing?
doubt every game will use raytracing. but at some point, all the big budget games will. so I guess RTX will eventually replace GTX, but there still might be GTX cards for the low end/lower cost options

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ignorant on the nitty gritty of PC tech so forgive my ignorance, but is the goal of RTX cards to eventually replace GTX cards? Is the goal for eventually every game to feature Raytracing?

Yes that is the goal. Real time ray tracing has been a target for years. These are the early days. Will get an even bigger push with the next gen consoles having ray tracing in one fashion or another.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
having now seen all the new RTX media, im really not a fan of the reflections. most of the time its just way overdone and looks worse than without it.
It certainly doesn't "look worse than without it", cut it out already.

developers are turning the floor into mirrors.
Have you seen a wet and/or polished floor?

when its done right its a cool bit of refinement, but doesnt really change the overall look of the game,
Key point here is that RT is the only way it can be "done right". There are transparency reflections is Control and Legion and reflective transparent curved surfaces in Legion at least. These are basically impossible to do right without RT.

and therefor not worth such a huge performance hit to me
How exactly do you know what performance hit will these games have from RT reflections?

shadows look good but again, its more of a refinement thing
Proper contact shadows and small detail shadowing on in-game characters are not "a refinement thing" unless you're saying that the presence of such shadows is "a refinement" of their absence.

and not worth the performance hit
How do you know what performance hit will these shadows have in titles shipping next year?

GI is the only one i can absolutely get behind as it actually transforms the game. too bad only metro and dying light 2 are using it
Control is using RT for AO and GI. Also both path traced games (Q2RTX and Minecraft) are obviously using RT for GI.

The only thing which is too bad here is your tiring constant downplaying of something which nobody is even forcing you to use let alone buy.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.nvidia.com

Gamescom Game Ready Driver Improves Performance By Up To 23%, And Brings New Ultra-Low Latency, Integer Scaling and Image Sharpening Features

Apex Legends, Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4, Strange Brigade and World War Z now run even faster, retro and pixel games look better with Integer Scaling, modern games look sharper with NVIDIA Freestyle, and input responsiveness can be improved with our new low latency modes.

Gamescom Game Ready Driver Improves Performance By Up To 23%, And Brings New Ultra-Low Latency, Integer Scaling and Image Sharpening Features

Driver : http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/436.02/436.02-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

Last edited:

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Depends on what's "good". It'll hold 30 fps in this mode with RT in most titles. Is this good or not?

Unfortunately I did not build a PC to play games at 30fps :) and I do not want to spend a fortune on a 2080ti. I've been holding on BF V for a while now and want to enjoy the pretty, pretty, shiny, shiny! :)

Guess I will stick to my trusty 1060 :D and wait for either a huge price drop on the 2080ti (come on AMD, put some pressure on Nvidia) or wait for next gen RTX cards.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
The 2080 Ti die is MASSIVE so I wouldn't expect any huge price drop, even in the face of competition.
Perhaps some sale or promotion. In my country the price has already been decreased with around $150 USD for the Auros Gigabyte 2080ti and hopefully with a sale or a promo (with the holidays in December) it will come down more. This or I wait for next gen RTX cards.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps some sale or promotion. In my country the price has already been decreased with around $150 USD for the Auros Gigabyte 2080ti and hopefully with a sale or a promo (with the holidays in December) it will come down more. This or I wait for next gen RTX cards.

I guess it comes down to the definition of "huge". You're using a 1060 and looking for a HUGE price drop. Just saying the card won't be dropping any any amount I'd consider to be huge.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It certainly doesn't "look worse than without it", cut it out already.

Have you seen a wet and/or polished floor?

Key point here is that RT is the only way it can be "done right". There are transparency reflections is Control and Legion and reflective transparent curved surfaces in Legion at least. These are basically impossible to do right without RT.

How exactly do you know what performance hit will these games have from RT reflections?

Proper contact shadows and small detail shadowing on in-game characters are not "a refinement thing" unless you're saying that the presence of such shadows is "a refinement" of their absence.

How do you know what performance hit will these shadows have in titles shipping next year?

Control is using RT for AO and GI. Also both path traced games (Q2RTX and Minecraft) are obviously using RT for GI.

The only thing which is too bad here is your tiring constant downplaying of something which nobody is even forcing you to use let alone buy.

ive seen lots of polished floors, ive never seen polished asphalt

its a refinement to the net visual sum of the image. and its pretty safe to assume the performance hit will be steep, as it is in the other titles with shadows/reflections. its not like ubisofts inhouse studios have a history of highly optimized pc games. if its done by ubi kiev like most of them, it will be likely be yet another shitshow

control is using RT to fix some corner cases where their GI solution isnt precise enough to cover some accuracy issues, and even at 1080p they havent been able to produce a smooth running video yet.

its cool that minecraft and quake 2 have path tracing. im referring to modern games

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London

Man they really trashed up Camden Market. All the vegan foot stands are gone. But Cyberdog remains.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
ive seen lots of polished floors, ive never seen polished asphalt

its a refinement to the net visual sum of the image. and its pretty safe to assume the performance hit will be steep, as it is in the other titles with shadows/reflections. its not like ubisofts inhouse studios have a history of highly optimized pc games. if its done by ubi kiev like most of them, it will be likely be yet another shitshow

control is using RT to fix some corner cases where their GI solution isnt precise enough to cover some accuracy issues, and even at 1080p they havent been able to produce a smooth running video yet.

its cool that minecraft and quake 2 have path tracing. im referring to modern games

Your polished concrete is an issue with the game's materials system, not ray tracing. Ray tracing doesn't impact _how_ reflective a surface is, it impacts _what_ it reflects. That game's RTX on side looks terrible but it's also some game I'd never heard of from Tencent so I'm not really the target market anyway.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Your polished concrete is an issue with the game's materials system, not ray tracing. Ray tracing doesn't impact _how_ reflective a surface is, it impacts _what_ it reflects. That game's RTX on side looks terrible but it's also some game I'd never heard of from Tencent so I'm not really the target market anyway.
I never said ray tracing was a problem, just that a lot of these reflections look worse with RTX enabled because they are overdone

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Wow makes a big difference in this scene. Is this indicative of the whole game?
Generally speaking yeah I'd say so. Some places less so than others, but in many places it's in a major way.

I'd say the biggest way it's noticeable is that things just sit in the scene much better. It really negates a lot of the "objects floating in nowhere" phenomena.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Wow makes a big difference in this scene. Is this indicative of the whole game?
Yes. I played the game for an hour without RT and concluded I would never again do so. The game just looks so much better with RT on. You forget how "gamey" a game can look without RT. Then you turn it on and it's like, "woah." Or you play with it on for awhile, then turn it off and it's like, "hmmm...this doens't feel right."

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to give up RT for stability ;_;

Could rock a solid 30fps if it wasn't for DX12's stuttering

Now I'm on DX11 and running at 60+fps and enjoying the game while not trying to think about RT :p

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
My budget is about to loosen up, so- GeForce 2080 Super late September/early October, or wait and see? I'm under the impression the next round is 2020 but no word on when that will be, and the trick with PC upgrades is that there's always something new on the horizon so you can either wait forever and never upgrade at all unless you want to feel the horrible pain of regret, or just get it done.