Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I only have so much money. If the price wasn't part of the topic title, I probably wouldn't have entered this thread or commented on it. The price jump from the 3070 to 3090 is really huge to me.
The thing is that the $499 3070 is also very much "top of the line" right now.

Aye, I'm very much aiming for a 3080, but even a 3070 outclasses most cards on the market right now and I wouldn't be disappointed if it was what I ended up with in the card-rush.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
LMAO

iiwpo9r7lxk51.jpg

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
People in the US, will Best Buy carry the 3080? got a couple of gift cards I'm looking to use.

They usually do, at least the Founder's Edition on launch day.

I have a 10% coupon at Best Buy so I'm hoping one of the EVGA 3080 cards go up, otherwise, I'm just going to buy it from whichever retailer I can get it first at.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I only have so much money. If the price wasn't part of the topic title, I probably wouldn't have entered this thread or commented on it. The price jump from the 3070 to 3090 is really huge to me.
Thats because the 3090 is just a Titan but renamed. Its not even Nvidias flagship the 3080 is.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
All these partner cards look like a cheap plastic bomber with the same design. In addition for a much higher price for what? A few % more performance and maybe better cooling. I just don't get it.
According to tech jesus asus took the criticism of past TUF Gaming Cards very serious and promised to improve starting with the RTX 3000 lineup. Once we have reviews we will know if that statement is true or just PR.
The TUF gaming laptop series recently also run very hot due bad cooling solution. Personally I would stay away from anything with TUF in its name.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
While I enjoy his content I would not follow his builds. He cuts too many corners or makes sacrifices in the wrong places.
Yeah though it's quite obvious you can't have a quality build for under $1000 with the gpu taking up over half the budget. It was a nice idea but it's quite obvious the system would be severely lacking.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I asked this yesterday but I think it got lost in the shuffle.

If I have an NZXT 510i case with an AIO (so the fans are placed at the front inside) would that case fit any of the 3080s they've announced?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The 3080 is finally going to be a worthwhile upgrade for my 1080Ti. I'm fine with roughly doubled performance and better RT. Hopefully I should be comfortably at 1440p high framerate for at least the first few years of next gen.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Having slept on it and spent day at work I'm still considering 3090, what is wrong with me? :|

Having paid for 2080Ti doesn't even make 3090 that pricey, 200 - 300€ price increase.
I've seen you mention it several times. You seem to be pretty concerned over owning the best model.

Just realize that the way you feel now with your 2080 ti is the same way you're going to feel again with a 3090 after a year or two when there's a new architecture overhaul and there's another new hot thing on the market. My advice is to learn to have more contentment and satisfaction with your hardware that you purchase, and with life in general. (Unless you want to get on the cycle of selling your GPU annually every time it becomes 1 year old.) Appreciate what you have, not what's missing. You don't need a new graphics card every 1-2 years.

My 2080ti friends are freaking out at the thought of not being able to brag about having the best GPU so I might be able to snag a 2080ti for dirt cheap. 👏😌
Yep, there's so much of this going on right now. It's ridiculous.

It also shows you how little foresight there is in the process with some folks. They had to continue having 'the very best' for one additional month rather than planning ahead and selling their cards for nearly full day1 value. That it's more of a reaction to: there's something better than what I have now, so I need it immediately.

It seems so visceral, reactionary, and vein. Definitely not a calculated or performance-based decision. Just "I need X thing bc reasons". Especially when they're rushing to sell their 2080 Ti's at massive losses for like $450; They certainly really weren't that in-love with their current card to begin with.

I don't understand this uncomfortabilty with not having the best card at all times. It's more of a personality trait than anything to do with hardware capability. It's a 'State of mind' thing. They were really happy about having the best performing card on the market last week.

The bottom line is that if anyone is spending time wrestling with the idea of getting 3090, then it's definitely not the card for you. The 3090 is only the card for people that can afford one without a moment's hesitation or even a second thought. The 3080 has MUCH better value.

(I'm really not talking about you here, Tovarisc. Not intending for this to sound personal in any fashion, but this is a common recurring theme among people this week. It's an interesting phenomenon. Lots of hand-wringing over the prospects of 3090.)

I am losing my mind trying to decide between the 3080 and 3090. If I get the 3080, I could spend the rest on a brand new OLED TV and sell my old one, to be able to play PS5 games and PC games from that would be pretty nice.

Although, if the 3090 comes up with enough performance boost over the 3080, it just might be justifyable to get that over the 3080. +20% might be enough to seal the deal...
See this decision is SO EASY. That you struggle with it at all means that you already have your answer.

Double the price for only a roughly ~20% performance increase.

There's a reason why Jensen stated the RTX 3080 is Nvidia's "flagship card" this time around. He wanted to help everyone out with their perception of the lineup.

Arc07

Oct 27, 2017
Since the FE cards aren't reference anymore, I need to figure out which cards are for waterblocks. :/

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I've seen you mention it several times. You seem to be pretty concerned over owning the best model.

Just realize that the way you feel now with your 2080 ti is the same way you're going to feel again with a 3090 after a year or two when there's a new architecture overhaul and there's another new hot thing on the market. My advice is to learn to have more contentment and satisfaction with your hardware that you purchase, and with life in general. (Unless you want to get on the cycle of selling your GPU annually every time it becomes 1 year old.) Appreciate what you have, not what's missing. You don't need a new graphics card every 1-2 years.

Thanks for that very condescending tone and message, just what I needed <3

Oct 27, 2017
One of my work colleagues has said he might be interested in purchasing my 2080ti for £500. Dunno if that's a good price?

I'm very torn between the 3080 and 3090. The 3090 seems like overkill but the 10GB of VRAM on the 2080 is giving me pause.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Anybody know when the review embargo ends/reviews will be out for the 3080?

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard the founders editions of these cards are prone to problems? How true is that because I don't know if I have the ability to wait months for the MSI version

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
One of my work colleagues has said he might be interested in purchasing my 2080ti for £500. Dunno if that's a good price?

I'm very torn between the 3080 and 3090. The 3090 seems like overkill but the 10GB of VRAM on the 2080 is giving me pause.

I think you're getting stiffed. That's the lowest I've seen them go for so you might as well wait for prices to rebound.

Huh so it works on certain applications, just seen a article for vray, interesting.

Yeah, it's a PITA to get working in windows but I've definitely gotten it to work with Vray and Daz/iray. I think the new 2.90 release of Blender supports it natively too.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll hold my 2080Ti at least until there's a 3080 model with more ram, i was very interested in the 3090 but the experience of paying so much for the 2080Ti made me realize I don't want to be in the same position 2 years from now.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
RTX3090 $1,499. This is why I have no interest in building a top of the line PC. The RTX3090 cost more than my entire computer that I am currently using.
The 3080 is the top end. The 3090 is an enthusiast product.

lmao

you know what? You guys were right. All of these non-reference AIB cards are fucking hideous.

But at the end of the day, if you're going AIB it's for the promise of superior cooling and OC'ing potential. I look forward to the reviews. If they don't have markedly lower temps than the FE's, I'm 100000% going FE. If they are a lot better, I'll get the ugliest card I can find because fuck it.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I've got multiple local offers of $250 for my 2060 Super so $300 for a 2070 Super sounds reasonable. I'm leaning more towards holding onto mine for a few more months to see if any of these other cards offer more VRAM.
This week is definitely not the time to sell a used card. If you waited this long then you might as well wait it out a little longer until prices rebound.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Is it tho?

I feel like only place that is positioning 3090 as "Titan" is this thread.
It's being referred to as a titan replacement and it's build certainly seems so. What more could nvidia offer for Titan that isn't offered in this card? Slightly more cores (10% max?) maybe a factory OC? Can't even fit more ram until the 2GB chips get released. It very much seems like a titan unless AMD somehow turns the tables.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Selling Turing cards can be tricky.
Best time to do so is obviously behind us

Now could be the "best" (not absolute best ofc) or worst time to do so
"Best" if you assume that every passing day your card loses value, which could very well be the case, or "worst" if avaibility is very scarce and you then get a lot of disappointed people who couldn't get their hands on new cards maybe turning to the used market, which could temporarily drive the prices up some compared to now.

Oct 27, 2017
I would think rebound is very unlikely, especially when 3070 is out out next month.

I don't think there's going to be a huge rebound (and I think £500 is a decent cash-in-hand price), but I can certainly see prices ticking back up when Cyberpunk releases and nobody can find a 3070 - a 2080Ti is pretty close to a drop-in replacement for someone in that market.

Oct 27, 2017
I would think rebound is very unlikely, especially when 3070 is out out next month.
I don't know... I can very easily forsee a scenario where all of the new 30 series cards are bought up in the blink of an eye when they become available and the stock situation takes several months to the end of the year to stabilize. And even then, like with GPU releases in the past, these MSRP prices will get jacked up in price once supply dries up.

If that kind of scenario happens, then I could see the secondhand market for something like a 2080Ti being a bit more favorable for sellers of those cards, especially if people are hungry for something like Cyberpunk and the 30 series cards aren't readily available.