• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Biggest issue I'm having right now looking to potentially replace my PSU is none of the PSUs everybody recommends appear to be in stock anywhere.

I seem to recall this being an issue back when I originally built this computer, which led to me using the PSU I'm currently using in the first place.
What PSU and CPU are you currently using and what card are you looking to upgrade to?

E: If you haven't watched it yet, the video in the PSU threadmark is very good and informative.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
So I am using a personal day on the 17th to try and secure a 3080. The FE cards will also be available at retail stores on the 17th correct? I am planning to hit several stores if I strike out trying to score one online. I have 3 Best Buys within 30 minutes of my apartment and there are 2 Micro Centers within 90 minutes of me.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
This is from my Seasonic manual, hoping it clears the two PCIe cable situation a little. My PSU is turning 7 years old but it'll work just fine. Please consult your manual for the best possible answer in your situation.

yaU6exZ.jpg
If anything this just added more confusion. the word "standard" makes it seem just fine too, which i do believe is.

Pasedo

Oct 27, 2017
Question. I have an i7 9700k with rtx 2080. Id only want to play at 1440p with Max fps with all the bell and whistles settings. Is it worth upgrading to the rtx 3080?

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
So I am using a personal day on the 17th to try and secure a 3080. The FE cards will also be available at retail stores on the 17th correct? I am planning to hit several stores if I strike out trying to score one online. I have 3 Best Buys within 30 minutes of my apartment and there are 2 Micro Centers within 90 minutes of me.
Nobody knows. Could be online only because they are so limited.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Question. I have an i7 9700k with rtx 2080. Id only want to play at 1440p with Max fps with all the bell and whistles settings. Is it worth upgrading to the rtx 3080?
Well it depends on what you consider an upgrade.
You're getting a larger upgrade here than any previous gen and are looking at 50-80% increase depending on game, due to factors like more efficient RT cores etc

Pasedo

Oct 27, 2017
Well it depends on what you consider an upgrade.
You're getting a larger upgrade here than any previous gen and are looking at 50-80% increase depending on game, due to factors like more efficient RT cores etc
Yeh with games like Metro Exodus I noticed I still needed to set a few things down like ray tracing to low and lower AA down a couple of notches etc in order to maintain fps at 80 to 90fps and in some scenes it could still drop lower than 60fps. I don't like the compromises. I'd love to have Ray tracing to high and quality AA settings and still get preferably over 100 fps. I find it so much enjoyable when frame rates are high. Over 100 seems better.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
A
Like I said, I'm less concerned about 650w vs 750w, and more-so about trying to use my current PSU with a 3080 Strix. A quick glance at the manual for my PSU doesn't tell me much: https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/550-650G3.pdf

I'm curious about whether or not I can get away with just using these two cables and ports:

0PrafYr.png
Are ya gonna OC? Cuz your powers gonna run out before your connectors become an issue if you are giving it 500w.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I personally never found any reason to jump from one GPU iteration to the next, but that's probably because I don't bother with selling my old hardware to offset costs

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Anyone see this yet?

Erster Geekbench-Wert zur GeForce RTX 3080 aufgetaucht | 3DCenter.org

In unserem Forum wurde der erste Eintrag einer GeForce RTX 3080 Grafikkarte unter dem Geekbench 5 bzw. dem dortigen OpenCL-Test erspäht (Update: CUDA-Werte hinzugefügt). Wie bei den bereits vorliegenden Benchmark-Werten einer GeForce RTX 3080 unter dem

GeForce RTX 3080 on Geekbench 5: +43% over Titan RTX

Pasedo

Oct 27, 2017
I personally never found any reason to jump from one GPU iteration to the next, but that's probably because I don't bother with selling my old hardware to offset costs
Yeh especially these days I have to be more careful how I spend the money. I think I'm better off spending it on a next gen console.
I've been finding the gamepass subscription super useful and so I'm also thinking of just getting the Series X.

Oct 28, 2017
Would a Seasonic FOCUS GX-550 be good enough to power a 3080 without any OC? Pairing it with a Ryzen 7 3800x. Also have 2 SATA 3.5 SSDs + 1 HDD hooked up.

I know the PSU is of a high quality brand but not sure it's gonna be enough since I see most recommendations to have atleast 650w of power. Still kicking myself I cheaped out on the 650W or 750w models two years go when I upgraded.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Would a Seasonic FOCUS GX-550 be good enough to power a 3080 without any OC? Pairing it with a Ryzen 7 3800x. Also have 2 SATA 3.5 SSDs + 1 HDD hooked up.

I know the PSU is of a high quality brand but not sure it's gonna be enough since I see most recommendations to have atleast 650w of power. Still kicking myself I cheaped out on the 650W or 750w models two years go when I upgraded.

550w you are pushing it. Least for a 3080, 650 would be safer.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

I wouldn't do that, no.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

We don't really know how much a 3080 sucks up.
We have a TGP figure, that's it.
I'd still estimate such a config at stock to be around 500W or maybe even less in gaming so it'd work imo but you'd be cutting it close.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If I did I'd probably have to upgrade CPU then as well right so I don't bottleneck?
I think the cpu is OK, maybe new cooler and oc it. At that resolution it won't be stressing the cpu too much... I am no pro but I am mainly look at the resolution you game, I don't think the 2080 will be hitting any wall soon in 1440p. Maybe a few games like red dead 2 etc.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I think I may have pushed myself to go with the 3090 (well once water blocks are out). My LG C9 has a 1440p/120fps option and decided to run some games on my 2080ti at 1440p/120p. Been playing an assortment of games at that frame rate with all settings pretty much at their highest. I tried to play some games back at 60fps and I hate to sound like a PC elitist..but 60fps felt a bit rough after playing an entire week at 120fps. In some games I am taking a visual hit at 1440p vs. 4k native. My TV also supports 4k/120fps and thinking I can get close and with using G-sync to help smooth things out with a 3090 depending on the game.

Since blocks wont be out for a while...I am specifically looking at EVGA's FTW3 Hydro Copper....I will have time to read impressions and look at frame rate analysis/reviews on the 3090 vs. 3080 well before making a final decision. Right now I am also needing to know how long the Hydro Coppers will be. My new case with a 2080ti has about a 1/4" space between the end of the 2080ti and my Water Res. and looking at my setup I really don't want to reconfigure my loop so I am hoping the Hydro's come in at around the same size as my current Hydro. EKWB has shown some of the blocks they are making and they are actually looking smaller than the 2080ti blocks they make so there is hope that it will fit.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Using my completely flawless absolutely impeccable methodology (C) I have determined from the renders that the height of the 3070 is....

37.2605068 mm.

Probably give or take a milometer, assuming I even measured in the right spots. So the 36 mm standard is absolutely believable.
I'm so rusty with basic trigonometry.

Although it became less about the dimension itself and moreso if I could actually solve the problem.

Last edited:
PSU FAQ

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It's one of those components that's the least fun to upgrade, to be honest. It's on the same level as HDDs for me.

A poor HDD can't potentially kill everything else plugged into your computer.

I usually redirect folks who want a quality power supply to jonnyguru.com

The "power supply FAQ"

The following FAQ was written by me many, many years ago and serves as a "generic" FAQ of basic computer power supply knowledge. For more specific answers to particular questions, please see these additional FAQ's: Single vs. Multiple +12V rails Power Supply Efficiency Power Factor...

The top three stickied posts in the PSU forum over there are highly worthwhile reading and gives one a better perspective on what to look out for when buying one. A lot of folks claim that a CPU or GPU may be the most important components of their computer but there there is no under valuing the choice of a quality power supply. After all it is the sole component that provides electricity to power your entire system so cheaping out can have some very dire if not catastrophic outcomes. It can be as small as your PC refusing to even turn on even if everything is properly plugged in to outright the PSU blowing out and your PC igniting into flames.

Another commonly overlooked issue is because a quality brand name is on the box does not mean that is the manufacturer of the unit itself.

For example there is a stark difference between the EVGA Supernova G3 line PSUs which is was manufactured by Super Flower, one of the best PSU makers on the market and the EVGA Supernova G5 which is manufactured by FSP and is of considerably lesser quality, It's bad enough the G5 line is supposed to be the successor to the G3 but EVGA went with even less reputable manufacturer for work with.

Seasonic and Super Flower are typically my go to recommended brands of PSU manufacturers

Raidmax, Coolmax, Diablotek are the big three to avoid at all costs.

It would probably good to have this post threadmarked for those who want to know more about PSUs

K.Jack would this be possible?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019
I think I may have pushed myself to go with the 3090 (well once water blocks are out). My LG C9 has a 1440p/120fps option and decided to run some games on my 2080ti at 1440p/120p. Been playing an assortment of games at that frame rate with all settings pretty much at their highest. I tried to play some games back at 60fps and I hate to sound like a PC elitist..but 60fps felt a bit rough after playing an entire week at 120fps. In some games I am taking a visual hit at 1440p vs. 4k native. My TV also supports 4k/120fps and thinking I can get close and with using G-sync to help smooth things out with a 3090 depending on the game.

Since blocks wont be out for a while...I am specifically looking at EVGA's FTW3 Hydro Copper....I will have time to read impressions and look at frame rate analysis/reviews on the 3090 vs. 3080 well before making a final decision. Right now I am also needing to know how long the Hydro Coppers will be. My new case with a 2080ti has about a 1/4" space between the end of the 2080ti and my Water Res. and looking at my setup I really don't want to reconfigure my loop so I am hoping the Hydro's come in at around the same size as my current Hydro. EKWB has shown some of the blocks they are making and they are actually looking smaller than the 2080ti blocks they make so there is hope that it will fit.

Same setup as you and completely agree. Love 120 fps and have been playing at 1440p to make it happen while also sitting much farther from the C9.

With Hdmi 2.1, I just can't wait to run games at 4k 90-120 fps with Gsync.

I've been waiting soooooo long for this to be possible!

ZeroRay

Oct 27, 2017
Owning one of the Asus Apex boards and a Dark Rock Pro 4, GPU clearance would be a huge worry for me with the new cards. I have less than a 1/4 inch between the GPU and the cooler and I'm afraid that even a slight bump on the backplate for any of these new cards would be pretty bad.

Still think I'm gonna stick with my 2080 until a 3080 Super/Ti variant comes out. I just hope I won't need to update to a brand new platform just yet.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017

I'm in the same boat, but with DLSS, I think the 3080 is going to be enough for 120 fps. I actually think 90 FPS reduces motion blur to a point that I am happy with. It does sound elitist, but the smooth clean panning of 90-120 fps on the C9 is a true next gen experience, and I'm playing at 1440p with the TV doing all of the upscaling. With the 3xxx series having HDMI 2.1, I'm hoping all games have resolution scaling, so that I can set it to 4K120 and adjust from there.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Is my PSU okay for the 3080? Will probably aim for the FE or EVGA XC3/FTW3. Confused with all the pin talk and stuff that's been happening.

My PSU is the CORSAIR TX-M Series TX750M. Is there anything additional that I need?

DSC_1593.jpg

DSC_1578.jpg

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
r4quFPF.png

Oh yeah. We expected this, but, direct confirmation from Nvidia that Founders won't be coming to Australia.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Is my PSU okay for the 3080? Will probably aim for the FE or EVGA XC3/FTW3. Confused with all the pin talk and stuff that's been happening.

My PSU is the CORSAIR TX-M Series TX750M. Is there anything additional that I need?

DSC_1593.jpg

DSC_1578.jpg

You do have a hardwired CPU connection and which gives you two connection to a GPU and most older AIB GPUs require 2x8 Pin, for the RTX 3000 series several AIB are requiring 3x8 Pin.

Although you do a have a solid single rail unit that can handle 748W from the 12v, the one PSU connector is a daisy chain connector with two PCI-e plugs for 2x8pin. and extra 2+6 Pin. So you should be all good but you'll probably need to use both cables for the PCI-e connections.

Last edited:

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
In my opinion not quite yet. As nothing truly pushes the 2070S/2080 yet if you've had it since release may be worth it but if you just got it might be worth waiting

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I don't even know how Corsair can sell a 750W unit with only single PCI-e connector. One of them is dedicated to the CPU and which gives you a single connection to a GPU and most older AIB GPUs require 2x8 Pin, for the RTX 3000 series several AIB are requiring 3x8 Pin.
I think its semi-modular and the 2nd PCI-e is built in. I've had one like that but only atx cables built in.