• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
She knew, but she didn't participate — not fully. She participated, but she didn't know — not everything. She was a bystander. She was an anomaly.

The full role of white women in slavery has long been one of the "slave trade's best-kept secrets

Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers, who teaches at the University of California, Berkeley, examines how historians have misunderstood and misrepresented white women as reluctant actors. The scholarship of the 1970s and '80s, in particular, did much to minimize their involvement, depicting them as masters in name only and even, grotesquely, as natural allies to enslaved people — both suffered beneath the boot of Southern patriarchy, the argument goes.

Jones-Rogers puts the matter plainly. White slave-owning women were ubiquitous. Not only did they profit from, and passionately defend, slavery, but the institution "was their freedom." White women were more likely to inherit enslaved people than land. Their wealth brought them suitors and gave them bargaining power in their marriages. If their husbands proved unsatisfactory slave owners in their eyes, the women might petition for the right to manage their "property" themselves, which they did, with imaginative sadism.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/...AvujBOMkJCNYoxoCZr8wsrB7U7TYDb7EKxvarXMz-rXIU

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I was going to be an utter smart ass but I won't. I'll just simply say, only one group ever saw white women as these poor innocent angels who too suffered just as slaves did.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
When you see the start of the (white)woman right movement, it leaves little doubt on where they stood at the time.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
the so called white feminist, who will punch black females if they run out of their place still exist unfortunately. Not literally but metaphorically

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah kind of comes with the history.... Stunned people didn't already get this.

Knowing white women owned slaves is one thing but I did not know that at the time there was a gendered division between land and slaves. I did not know women generally had an even share of the slaves during inheritance but not land. I did not know that the courts were more favorable in giving unsatisfied women control of her slaves but not other property.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know why reading this made me remember something I read in the old forum that Hillary Clinton used black prison labor at the mansion she lived at when her husband was governor.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Is "avid" really an appropriate descriptor for slave-ownership? Were there super-cas slave owners, like people who would just own slaves on the weekends socially for parties or something?

Like of course women also were involved in slave ownership if that's the only point being made here.

BannedEpisode

Oct 28, 2017
Well it's true, especially when considering women who were in the upper class of plantation life.

I was reading Grant by Ron Chernow, and Ulysses Grant was married to the daughter of a prominent Missouri plantation farmer, Julia Grant. She had a number of personal "servants" that she refused to give up for a long period of time despite her husbands efforts as an abolitionist (complicated subject) and union general. Throughout her life she would defend the notion that her slaves loved being slaves and that they were living charmed easy lives.

Yikes.

Of course this article title sort of reads like, "guess what ladies, you owned slaves too!", which is kind of a duh statement. Men just by nature of society owned more.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to be an utter smart ass but I won't. I'll just simply say, only one group ever saw white women as these poor innocent angels who too suffered just as slaves did.

I mean, to be fair, I'm pretty sure white men also tried for this angle as long as possible too.

But yeah, this is a "no shit Sherlock" thing.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
giphy.gif

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
As a PoC, I just came to the natural conclusion when learning about this stuff that most white people owned slaves, and that meant both men and women did. It's not like white women, back then, were looking to blackfolk and saying, "We know how you feel my black brothers and sisters, we are just as down-trodden as YOU are in the eyes of white men!". Nah, they were just as shit. If white women didn't want to let black women march with them for Women's Rights later on, it's only natural to come to the conclusion that they were also shit towards slaves.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are personal letters written by women lamenting slaves being freed destroying their way of life, hell it romanticized in one of the most popular movies of all time
220px-Poster_-_Gone_With_the_Wind_01.jpg

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
History has shown us over and over again that humans in power behave similarly regardless of race, sex or gender and at times are capable of doing truly horrible things.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did anybody think they weren't? Like...isn't that part of the stereotype of the south to begin wtih? The plantation belle and all her handmaidens and shit?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Sawyer's aunt owned a slave. He ran away in Huck Finn.

this might put a crimp or a crump in the self-deification, but that should be a good thing.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I know people will do the "this isn't news" thing, but it's always importan
Did anybody think they weren't? Like...isn't that part of the stereotype of the south to begin wtih? The plantation belle and all her handmaidens and shit?
Yes, there are plenty of people who believe that white women were blameless.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
people honestly thought women weren't a part of this? lmao
there have been some that have implied slavery as a primarily masculine impulse, and a side effect of patriarchy. White women being the 'virtual' slaves of white men, along with their actual slaves, etc.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly this is new news to the world.

Frederick Douglass said:
I do not know that her master ever whipped her, but I have been an eye-witness to the cruelty of Mrs. Hamilton. I used to be in Mr. Hamilton's house nearly every day. Mrs. Hamilton used to sit in a large chair in the middle of the room, with a heavy cowskin always by her side, and scarce an hour passed during the day but was marked by the blood of one of these slaves.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Are there people who genuinely didn't know this?
White Americans, in general, know very little (and remember very little from school) about the atrocities white colonist and future white Americans have enacted on other ethnic groups so I would not be surprised if there was a good portion of them who thought white women did not contribute to the horrors committed against slaves.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
White Americans, in general, know very little (and remember very little from school) about the atrocities white colonist and future white Americans have enacted on other ethnic groups so I would not be surprised if there was a good portion of them who thought white women did not contribute to the horrors committed against slaves.
Yup. And this ignorance is by design.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, the books most of us read in school primarily talked about women abolitionist. Plus, how abolishinism gave birth to women's suffrage. In that light it is easy to think of women as having been against slavery and not having owned slaves. Heck, even the way we were taught about Southern Belles or even the antebellum period it was done in such a way as to disconnect them from slavery.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the goal of entering a thread and contributing nothing more than "but *I* certainly already knew this!"

Ok, then this isn't for you. This is for those who did not already know.

Dec 31, 2017
I remember watching a video of a black academic researcher, that brought up an interesting fact.

The majority of slave deaths in the Americas were of black children at the hands of white women.