• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know these people or are you assuming they're like that?

So 1 out of every 2 white woman is a Trump supporter and the other isn't. So we jump to the worse conclusion.

It's shitty. People aren't monolithic groups. They're individuals first.

There are trends, sure, but all shit like this does is give anmo to people who want to convince the naive and idiots that they're being attacked.
#notallwomen is basically what you're saying.

They are individuals. And as individuals, 53% voted for trump. And even before then, helped maintain and enforce White Supremacy.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
n2hhlyshn6plinfzehn7.jpg
no lies detected, the stat that angered me the most on election day....even after everything donnie boy said

7daSCuT.jpg

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Well it's true, especially when considering women who were in the upper class of plantation life.

I was reading Grant by Ron Chernow, and Ulysses Grant was married to the daughter of a prominent Missouri plantation farmer, Julia Grant. She had a number of personal "servants" that she refused to give up for a long period of time despite her husbands efforts as an abolitionist (complicated subject) and union general. Throughout her life she would defend the notion that her slaves loved being slaves and that they were living charmed easy lives.

Yikes.

Of course this article title sort of reads like, "guess what ladies, you owned slaves too!", which is kind of a duh statement. Men just by nature of society owned more.

Heh, I'm reading that too. She kind of comes off as just extraordinarily sheltered in that regard, but the book usually doesn't pull punches about its subjects so I don't see why Chernow would sugarcoat her of all people. Either way it's a shitty look.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Majority of white women voted for Trump, not only 50%, so pretty understandable to jump to the worse conclusion. In these kind of discussions, the group is in question, not individuals. Much like the suffragette movement, white feminism has its limits along with privilege blinders and some people need reminders of what it was like before intersectional feminism was a thing. This is more about the voices of PoC women being heard and remembering what history was like.

That's only a few percentage points but that's actually not true either.

http://time.com/5422644/trump-white-women-2016/

It's 47% for Trump versus 45% for Hillary so you could say a majority didn't even vote for Trump.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No shit?
What exactly is the intent of posting an article like this on International Women's Day?

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
That part about the rocking chair was fucked.

Also, I honestly didn't know about the "raping black women just so they could become wetnurses for white women" thing.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That part about the rocking chair was fucked.

Also, I honestly didn't know about the "raping black women just so they could become wetnurses for white women" thing.
Just think of the most fucked up shit and then understand that it was a reality for a lot of slaves. For some really cruel shit to be enacted upon them.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
You all keep framing this as they voted for 45 a couple of years ago and ignoring the history that this is about. We are talking about WHITE WOMEN SLAVE OWNERS.
Now how white women still are on this is where we need to go.

Oct 27, 2017
As I said, that's actually not true.

http://time.com/5422644/trump-white-women-2016/

It's 47% for Trump versus 45% for Hillary so you could say a majority didn't even vote for Trump.
Wow, 47% instead of 52%, a difference so little even that article calls it insignificant

But in statistical terms, the difference between 52% and 47% is insignificant—likely small enough to have resulted from routine sampling error. "The differences aren't that dramatic; it's more the importance that has been attached to that number," Doherty says. "There is a narrative that was created around the 52% that has continued to this day." Rather than make new stories based on new numbers, we should accept what both the exit polls and the Pew study really show: when it comes to Trump, white women were simply divided.

It's still basically half of white women who voted

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how many people are angry about this article.

This shouldn't be new to people, but the general public understands topics through television and traditional portrayals through media.

They don't dig deep into slavery and the inheritance of "property" among white slave owners.

I think it's also about confronting the fact that racism and the draw to exerting supremacy over another human being is a human sociological problem which given the evidence of history does not split on gender lines.

dee_activate

Oct 25, 2017
world
Hmmmmmmm yeah I am suspect of OP, he hasn't made any comments but post a week old article published during BHM and an image. I don't see it as a coincidence he made this post on international woman's day.
It is no surprise white women were slave owners. But women have always been misrepresented or forgotten in history so maybe enough dont know, regardless we still need to talk honestly and openly about how white people owned and treated slaves
But yeah OP has been quite. I'm often suspect of OPs who post an article/image/story without their own opinion. They only want to be entertained. If he really wanted to promote the book or highlight the topic he would have added more of his own thoughts.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well I imagine they would declare you a witch and burn you if you didint go with the racist flow. Inexcusable but a good reason.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, popped up in Firefox pocket powered feed and I made the thread.
Hmmmmmmm yeah I am suspect of OP, he hasn't made any comments but post a week old article published during BHM and an image. I don't see it as a coincidence he made this post on international woman's day.
It is no surprise white women were slave owners. But women have always been misrepresented or forgotten in history so maybe enough dont know, regardless we still need to talk honestly and openly about how white people owned and treated slaves
But yeah OP has been quite. I'm often suspect of OPs who post an article/image/story without their own opinion. They only want to be entertained. If he really wanted to promote the book or highlight the topic he would have added more of his own thoughts.
Or... It could be just a coincidence. See above for OP's post.

Still I will say that people who believe this dumb narrative were already racist as fuck anyway from my real life experience. To everyone else, this is no surprise.

And yeah it was pretty fucked up to post this on IWD regardless IMO but whatever.

e1it3g4m3r

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
Yep. Frederick Douglass was an early partner/ally of hers in this, but she ditched him and went full racist after Southern white women started to get on board the suffrage movement.
In Susan B Anthony's defense she was using an ends justify the means approach to trick us white men into being more progressive and less selfish.
I think she realized after women getting the right to vote she could aim for other goal posts.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
News at 11.
Water is wet.
But, glad this view is getting the attention it deserves. Where Im from, South Africa, white women pre-1994 are sometimes viewed as being reluctant actors to Apartheid... and that is so very far from the truth.

Jun 10, 2018
LOL @ the select users buttmad about this being posted on IWD. This story is perfect to post on this day since white women are universally seen as the drivers of the women's movement, and THEY are the ones who most need to know of the fuckshit their ancestors pulled against another group of women (black women) whom are - surprise surprise - apart of the same damn movement!

But of course, protecting the sanctity of whiteness and white supremacy matters more than giving this story with black victims involved attention.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
LOL @ the select users buttmad about this being posted on IWD. This story is perfect to post on this day since white women are universally seen as the drivers of the women's movement, and THEY are the ones who most need to know of the fuckshit their ancestors pulled against another group of women (black women) whom are - surprise surprise - apart of the same damn movement!

But of course, protecting the sanctity of whiteness and white supremacy matters more than giving this story with black victims involved attention.
Couldn't have said it any better.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This.

And also posters acting like this is just common knowledge when white people and history books have been trying to downplay the atrocities and impact of Slavery for centuries.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Facts

OopsieDoopsie

Banned
Feb 23, 2019

So why should I be blamed or even holded accountable for what "my" ancestors did?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
News? In my African American Lit class we did a lot of reading from the Norton Anthology of African American Literature and it's full of stories of white women being complicate and actively cruel participants in slavery and general violence against black people.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They were a symtom of a larger problem...Doesn't make them any better, since they clearly harvested that problem to their own benefit to circumvent some of their own hardships, but the source of the problem was the concept of slavery to begin with.