• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
There has been no hard evidence to support Iran's claim the drone was in Iranian airspace.

Unless you take Iran's amazing twitter videos at face value with the comical explosions and graphics.

Yeah and I get some peoples distaste for the current administration but that shouldn't make you start taking Iran's twitter videos and word over your own countries intelligence. Even Adam Schiff was saying there is no question Iran was behind the tanker attacks so it is a bi partisan consensus that Iran has been doing some shady shit. Just.......blowing up an unnarmed drone shouldn't cost other people their lives.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
There is no scenario where Iran wins a war against the US. They MAY be able to significantly damage or even sink a carrier in the Strait of Hormuz, but the retaliation over that would be astronomical. Iran doesn't have a capable air force, its extremely dated and starved for spare parts. Their air defenses include some S-300 systems, but they are few and would be the first order of business to be eliminated by drone swarms and cruise missiles. Iran would a pile of rubble within days, conventionally. Let's hope the orangutan doesn't make this a reality.
This. Not to downplay the carnage but the US could squash Iran with ease in a myriad of ways.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What exactly are you reading?

Its pretty commonly said the US would win the conventional battle against Iran, occupation and insurgency though would be impossible and worse than anything the US has faced.
I think we can safely say the US is never going to actually invade Iran. Its Almost 4 times the size of Iraq and double its population. The US would require a draft to even entertain that idea.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
If I'm not mistaken that war game showed if they managed to sink a carrier that the us would use nukes. Not that the use needs to use them.
I definitely remember that straight being all important. I don't remember if they thought it possible to keep it. I'll have to look it up later, I've been trying to ignore this til now so it's been a few years.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'm sure a nation-state that fought through 7 years of nerve-gas laced total war will roll over the moment they learn that air-raids are a thing

I'm sure they'll also forget that they have boatloads of cruise missiles and definitely won't use them against any sort of hostile navy near their borders
Yes, the same one that couldn't even handle the Iraqi army in a lot of instances much less any other.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly stuff about our military's war games coming to that conclusion pretty decisively, and no good argument for it being wrong.

Do you have any reference or something I could read?

That assessment doesn't make any sense to me. Iran's been heavily sanctioned for a long ass time and before that they were in an 8 year deadlock with Iraq, a military that the US defeated in 90 days.

With the amount of money the US spends on its military Iran would need something big to stand a chance and I can't think of what that would be other then their nuke program

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I definitely remember that straight being all important. I don't remember if they thought it possible to keep it. I'll have to look it up later, I've been trying to ignore this til now so it's been a few years.
The strait is important but their navy would be obliterated with ease. The issue would be all the mines that would need to be cleared for it to reopen. It would take a long time.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...because the alternative is they shot down a US drone for no reason?

No reason? How about retaliation for sanctions and aggressive rhetoric?

It's very clear that Iran is extremely bothered by the US pulling out of the nuclear deal and strengthening economic sanctions. Didn't we just see a tweet from a presidential advisor that basically warned the US that war is coming if sanctions aren't eased?

An unmanned drone near their territory is a good target for Iran to fight back without causing any fatalities. It brings them closer to outright conflict, but would still require the US to be the aggressor that trigger an actual war.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Makes you wonder about all the Russian spies Trump has (inadvertently?) helped plant into the upper echelons of the US government, who are possibly now micromanaging American foreign policy, such as this.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No reason? How about retaliation for sanctions and aggressive rhetoric?

It's very clear that Iran is extremely bothered by the US pulling out of the nuclear deal and strengthening economic sanctions. Didn't we just see a tweet from a presidential advisor that basically warned the US that war is coming if sanctions aren't eased?

That's context

That's not a justifiable reason.

BaasRed

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UAE
As an Iranian living near Iran I hope and pray the situation de-escalates soon. Half my family lives there.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
So... first it was 10 minutes before the strike when he called it off. Now it's 30 minutes. Oh and the planes weren't in the air, and he hadn't yet had any casualty figure from the military until 30 minutes before.

Yeah.fucking.right

Irrespective of anything else (including attempts at strategic war simulations) can we just marvel at the sheer mendacity & incompetence that this person eminates on such a crucial topic as military conflict?

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we can safely say the US is never going to actually invade Iran. Its Almost 4 times the size of Iraq and double its population. The US would require a draft to even entertain that idea.

False. Maybe this is a reality in the old ways of war. Not anymore with our technology. Not only that, As mentioned in above posts The military doesn't want randoms and would require congressional reinstatement.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So... first it was 10 minutes before the strike when he called it off. Now it's 30 minutes. Oh and the planes weren't in the air, and he hadn't yet had any casualty figure from the military until 30 minutes before.

Yeah.fucking.right

Irrespective of anything else (including attempts at strategic war simulations) can we just marvel at the sheer mendacity & incompetence that this person eminates on such a crucial topic as military conflict?
Plus, he was going to bomb "sights".

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
False. Maybe this is a reality in the old ways of war. Not anymore with our technology. Not only that, As mentioned in above posts The military doesn't want randoms and would require congressional reinstatement.
Explain how you're going to occupy a nation four times the size of Iraq and double its population and a much smarter and sophisticated resistance group with the same occupying force, and probably no outside assistance this time.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an Iranian right now living in Iran, reading some of the stuff here is just unfathomable. I mean this place is one of the more levelheaded community on the web and we have stuff like wanting more sanctions or easily entertaining the idea of entirely obliterating a fucking nation.
Humanity is fucked.

Imagine an Iranian drone flying off the coast of the US or entering US airspace. Most people have very little perspective and a complete inability to put themselves in someone else's shoes

Hopefully it's neither, but the us would not have to use nukes to squash Iran.

Probably would need to use nuclear bunker busters to get rid of the nuclear sites.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Explain how you're going to occupy a nation four times the size of Iraq and double its population and a much smarter and sophisticated resistance group with the same occupying force, and probably no outside assistance this time.

Mass* Occupation wouldn't be in the military's strategy. They only need to crush key military strongholds and disrupt the flow of government. There are so many ways to do this to Iran its silly to think you need to pack millions of troops on a border and march. Its archaic.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Michael C. Bender @MichaelCBender

Military options in Iran were pushed by Bolton and Pompeo, but Pompeo was more understanding of reservations expressed by DoD, according to administration officials. Pence supported the strikes & also agreed with the president's decision to abort them.https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-says-he-s-in-no-hurry-to-confront-iran-11561122762?shareToken=steaf290b6af264207b5a624af48659d46 …

1:52 PM - Jun 21, 2019

Michael Freeman@michaelpfreeman

Trump: I want to launch against Iran now.

Pence: Your fiery boldness inspires us all, sir.

Trump: Hold on, I've had second thoughts.

Pence: Sir, no president has ever had your sense of prudence and restraint. Let us all kneel in gratitude. https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/1142128096717475840 …

2:42 PM - Jun 21, 2019

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Has Orion post article of "Trump Approvals spike on Iran, but abruptly pulls back"?

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mass* Occupation wouldn't be in the military's strategy. They only need to crush key military strongholds and disrupt the flow of government. There are so many ways to do this to Iran its silly to think you need to pack millions of troops on a border and march. Its archaic.
That's step 1, remove the Iranian government. That's the easy part. Step 2 is actual occupation. How do you plan on fighting an insurgency many times larger, better equipped(and likely to be funded and equipped by Russians and Syrians), and many times better organized? The US struggled heavily in Iraq, 5,000 killed, 32,000+ wounded. Iran would inflict casualties not seen since Vietnam.

Looking at the Iraq war, we went in with a coalition of about 600,000 troops.. You're going to need twice that for Iran. You can guarantee the US wont recieve any help this time either. The US would be pulling its entire army,marines, and many reservists just for the invasion. Occupation of Iraq took 170,000 troops at its height, so, it's probably going to take at least 300,000+ to occupy Iran. Once the casualties start rolling in and deployments needing to be rotated, how exactly are they going to be able to maintain troops levels without a draft? The manpower simply isn't there.

Oct 30, 2017

Michael C. Bender @MichaelCBender

Military options in Iran were pushed by Bolton and Pompeo, but Pompeo was more understanding of reservations expressed by DoD, according to administration officials. Pence supported the strikes & also agreed with the president's decision to abort them.https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-says-he-s-in-no-hurry-to-confront-iran-11561122762?shareToken=steaf290b6af264207b5a624af48659d46 …

1:52 PM - Jun 21, 2019

Michael Freeman@michaelpfreeman

Trump: I want to launch against Iran now.

Pence: Your fiery boldness inspires us all, sir.

Trump: Hold on, I've had second thoughts.

Pence: Sir, no president has ever had your sense of prudence and restraint. Let us all kneel in gratitude. https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/1142128096717475840 …

2:42 PM - Jun 21, 2019

cf7c49aaddff2555a2e97c7ed63e2830.png

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
The daft needs congressional reinstatement
So you see how it can happen. There's nothing more bipartisan than American fuck yeah hawkishness.
A draft will not happen short of WW3 or Mexico & Canada invading the US.
Military leaders don't want randoms forced in, they've been saying that since the 80's.
So what do you think would happen if the US engages in all out conflict with Iran? Do you think China and Russia just watch? Never let a great crisis go to waste.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The only good reason for US not to go to war is a moral one and US public pressure. Iran won't be as hard as Iraq and definitely way easier than Vietnam for the reason that US won't be nation building but just blowing shit up. Iran doesn't have any allies in the region; only proxies which rely on Iran for everything. These proxies can't do much if Iran is neutralized. US allies in the region are pretty happy to take part in this war they probably can't wait for it because they are armed to teeth with the latest and most advanced weapons.

I didn't realize that John Bolton was a member of Resetera.

What a joke of a post.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with the story, but what is the speculated reasons for Iran's actions recently(the bombing at sea, and shooting down this drone)? Acting out as retaliation due to the US not honoring the nuclear deal, or as pretext for something else? Presumably they don't actually want full open conflict.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Uh what? The guy is Iranian.

Doesn't make his post any less of a joke.

Any war against any nation would be "easy" for the US if their only goal was to carpet bomb the entire country into oblivion. And the fact that he thinks there would be no repercussions against US interests in the region is laughable. I'm glad US Generals are smarter than the folks in this thread. There's a good reason why the US has exercised restraint when it comes to military action against Iran.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
my eyes rolled into the back of my skull

someone help
Keep pretending that it can't happen, that way you can shower us with surprise and outrage when it does. The chance of it happening is higher than you seem to be willing to properly discuss.

Politicians have shown consistently in the past to have a rather predictable response to the manipulated callings of protection of the Homeland. I would never put it past them to do it again. Best predictor of future behavior remains to be past behavior.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Keep pretending that it can't happen, that way you can shower us with surprise and outrage when it does. The chance of it happening is higher than you seem to be willing to properly discuss.

Politicians have shown consistently in the past to have a rather predictable response to the manipulated callings of protection of the Homeland. I would never put it past them to do it again. Best predictor of future behavior remains to be past behavior.

You're out of your fucking mind or just delusional if you think Democrats would vote to reinstate the draft, let alone with a GOP President initiating a pointless war that will destroy the US on a geopolitical level.

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of people who are sitting safely at home yet feel a war with Iran wouldn't be a huge problem (not only for Iranian civilians but the whole region and even western country) is so damn disturbing.