• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/F9ohCKS_LUM

"In the vast, deep forest of Hyrule… Long have I served as the guardian spirit. I am known as the Deku Tree. The children of the forest, the Kokiri , live here with me. Each Kokiri has his or her own guardian fairy. But one boy does not have a fairy…."

I love this game. Still do.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe I was 10 when this got released. Where the heck did the time go.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I was 13, still resonates with me to this day. One of the greatest games of all time for sure. So many games throughout the history of gaming owe so much to OoT.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
I still remember unwrapping that on Christmas and being so excited. That was the one gift I really asked for and it was perfect.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
OoT made me buy the Rumble Pak. I got to the point when you get the Stone of Agony from the House of Skulltula two days after getting the game and I immediately saved and jumped on a bus to go buy one. 🤣

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
One of the most important games to me. Nothing since has given me the same feelings as Ocarina of Time.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got this game shortly after it came out. Man. It was a fucking trip. It felt like the next evolution of video games in terms of design. Playing it had that feeling of "I am playing the cutting-edge newest video game. The future is now."

Dec 6, 2021
I was stupid when I played this game (Im still are) bu it took me 6 months to finish it, I remember that it took me weeks to be able to open the door of the mountain showing the letter from the princess (english is not my first language)

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Magical time in gaming.

Really, I don't think I've felt that magic since.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Magical time in gaming.

Really, I don't think I've felt that magic since.
Being born in the 80s truly was the perfect moment in time to appreciate video games as a medium to the maximum. We were children in the 90s, old enough to play what was coming out, and what was coming out was just innovative video game after innovative video game. Tech and tools were progressing at an insane pace, and so did video game design, and we got to be there to witness and experience it.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Still the GOAT, I will not hear otherwise.

Recently did a 100% playthrough at 4K 120FPS on Ship of Harkinian and it was glorious. Design and gameplay wise the game has hardly aged. If anything Ship of Harkinian shows how not-dated the game itself is once you remove the technical shortcomings.

Hulk1988

Jul 7, 2021
Ocarina of Time on N64 is looking better than Pokémon Scarlet / Violet

Edit: I was blown away 24 years when I have finished the first three dungeons and then a new complete game started in the "Dark World". Similar to the Link to the past.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Still a decent game even in 2022 but an absolute revolution back then that helped shaped the modern adventure games of all kinds. A remarkable accomplishment.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i powered through it at release and liked it well enough but I think Metal Gear Solid was the big game from that year that really stayed with me the most.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Getting old, lol.

Remember getting this when I was 13. I was so excited to get home and plug in that gold colored cartridge. Such a revolutionary game.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Really recommend to play the Ship of Harkinian, it really makes you see how ahead of his time it was.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Legendary game and hugely influential on my gaming tastes.

Same.

Game was only the 2nd game my parents ever pre-ordered for me, and this was the first game in my personal life that I hounded every single magazine that had it as a cover story for more screenshots and information. Literally begged my dad to buy me any magazine I came across that had "Zelda 64" info promised on the front cover.

I waited at the living room window after school for my dad to come home from work with the pre-order. First time in my life that I snuck out of bed to play a console video game (I often played portables in bed with the lamp accessories), too.

Apr 7, 2018
Got it release day... Well the day after because my EB apparently had a shipping error for the gold carts. The first game I ever pre-ordered and the first I got at release. By far the greatest Thanksgiving ever and OoT is forever a fall game for me. I remember waiting to go to the mall after school, standing in a very long line which wasn't just for Zelda but for furby lol.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got it day one and loved it. It's the Zelda game that had the biggest impact on me after the first game.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
24 years later and it still has yet to be surpassed as the greatest game of all-time in my eyes.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I was a my yute when this was released. Only finished it about 10 years after thanks to the Gamecube collector's disk.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, what a time to be alive that was. I think I've played that game through completion probably 2-3 times.
One of the first games I ordered online and it took 2 weeks to come lol.
I ended up playing through the entire youth section at a friends house.

The youth of today will never understand, this was the first real good 3D open world game and it was truly mindblowing at the time.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am as old as this game and it is one of my favorites. I am still enamored by the fairytale story and tight pacing.

Actually playing this game on a CRT monitor with a 30 FPS hack, it is a rather pretty game at 240p. :)
PXL-20221121-032754981-MP.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
I remember picking this up at Kay Bee Toys afte class with my friend. Watched him play thru all the way to Hyrule field. Good times! Actually I just texted him about it cause of this thread haha

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Still one of the GOATs. I played the 3DS version recently, and as soon as I best the Forest Temple, I was like yep, not too many games today are touching this. The level design via dungeons, the themes, and the connecting paths is just executed at a level we aren't seeing often today. I don't feel like it walking through corridors the whole game, which I appreciate playing more recent similar action adventure titles.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Game came out a couple weeks after my 9th birthday. Got to put in a preorder for it, and then go pick it up on release day. I remember playing it before and after school every day, such great memories. Definitely one of the first times I can pinpoint awaiting, and getting excited for, a game release. Particularly having already loved earlier Zelda games like LttP.

Started replaying it again recently with my 3.5 year old. She can't really play games yet, but she likes to watch, tell me what to do, etc.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i powered through it at release and liked it well enough but I think Metal Gear Solid was the big game from that year that really stayed with me the most.
It's honestly insane that these two games came out the same year. And then you look at all of what came out in '98. Even more insane.

I played MGS first, shortly after it came out. I played it with at a friend's house. We didn't get very far I think, but I was in awe of what I saw. I think it would only be the next year that I would play it to completion. I think it was in the summer of '99 that my family and I went to a flea market and I got this little gizmo:

s-l400.jpg

This thing was a gameshark that offered custom cheat codes, as well as the ability to play pirated games. So I rented MGS, copies the discs onto blank discs, and was able to play it this way. I would then go on to buy the game used a couple of years later, just to have the real thing.

Such magical time for video games.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's honestly insane that these two games came out the same year. And then you look at all of what came out in '98. Even more insane.

I played MGS first, shortly after it came out. I played it with at a friend's house. We didn't get very far I think, but I was in awe of what I saw. I think it would only be the next year that I would play it to completion. I think it was in the summer of '99 that my family and I went to a flea market and I got this little gizmo:

s-l400.jpg

This thing was a gameshark that offered custom cheat codes, as well as the ability to play pirated games. So I rented MGS, copies the discs onto blank discs, and was able to play it this way. I would then go on to buy the game used a couple of years later, just to have the real thing.

Such magical time for video games.

Yeah, I used something similar to that for imports on my PS1 at that time as well (I even bought all of them!) lol

I ended up getting a Japanese Dreamcast in '98 as well so I felt like a time traveler.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Next month for us European fans.

However, saying that. Hard to believe it's been 24 years since one of the best 3D Zelda games was released. Didn't get it myself until 1999, but i loved it from the get go.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Still an incredibly fun game to get lost in all these years later. Modern 3D games owe a ton to it.

*In North America.

It was the Japanese anniversary 2 days ago.
Huh. I actually never realized how close together the game's US/JP release dates were. That was, to put it mildly, not usually the case back then. Especially odd because we then had to wait the usual several months to get Majora (Oct/Nov 2000 for US/PAL) whereas it came out in freaking April in Japan lol. Still absolutely mind-boggling how quickly that game was made.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I get lost on those 'kid details' when you're young and overimaginative.

Why was that shark in the sea lab basement?

Why did the creepy guy in the woods disappear? Who was he really?

The fuck is The Windmill GUy's deal and why is he so terrifying?

The fuckity fuck is going on under the Bottom of the Well??

Butt anyways. This is so damn funny even now; this Goron brutalizes the boy.

ocarina-of-time-link.gif

And this song will always be in the back of my mind when I go on vacations:

View: https://youtu.be/fZdsd6mfQsI

Also the game is featured on noclip (not that no clip) if you want to go have free camera control
LWReZ7D.png

Last edited:

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
I would say hopefully we get a remake for the 25th anniversary but I see basically zero chance with Tears coming next year:/