• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
idk man

the last 3 chapters from the manga have been gratuitous to say the least with the butt shots}

but yeah, i agree with him

Teusery

May 18, 2022
Thread title was interesting until the final five words, not at all surprised to read his take on how his busty characters being half-naked is empowering because he doesn't do panty shots (even though one of the main characters constantly asks for womens panties...). Shonen is not where you go for quality female representation

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, your female characters don't actually have any agency when you're still writing them to be sexy first and people second.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
1) Fictional characters don't have any agency of their own. "Their own volition" is a common cop out because THEY ARE FICTIONAL.
2) I don't read One Piece but I've seen plenty of fanservice bullshit so I don't buy it.
3) A male artist drawing fanservice bullshit will never be a "revolution" of any kind.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It's an interesting response, although people have pointed out there's already been exceptions to his reasoning in One Piece.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Explain that part in Wano where Nami's towel fell off and everyone gawked, then.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
I mean I'm pretty sure he is telling the truth, but current Oda is really on his fanservice game.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's cool that it's something he consciously thinks about, even if he's not perfect, I just wish he didn't draw all his women as telephone poles with watermelons.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
::Looks at Sanji::

Nah.

Like maybe that's just a bad translation of the interview, but if that's legit, I honestly don't think Oda understands what agency actually is.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool that it's something he consciously thinks about, even if he's not perfect, I just wish he didn't draw all his women as telephone poles with watermelons.

I'd wager he doesn't actually think about it at all outside of interviews. If he does it certainly doesn't show in the artwork.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
1) Fictional characters don't have any agency of their own. "Their own volition" is a common cop out because THEY ARE FICTIONAL.
2) I don't read One Piece but I've seen plenty of fanservice bullshit so I don't buy it.
3) A male artist drawing fanservice bullshit will never be a "revolution" of any kind.

"Don't you see, I didn't choose to draw her with her tits flopping around while she fights. She CHOOSES to around with no top on because it's EMPOWERING. It's definitely not because I just really like boobs."

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is while I think Oda still has a lot of issues with his female characters and it's easily a weak point of the series, I'd still rank him above most of his contemporaries on the issue

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
That doesn't really make it any better imo

Bad take from Oda. I'm not going to praise him for not drawing panty shots, that's a pretty low bar. At the end of the day, One Piece still has a lot of fanservice that is simply unnecssary.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why it's the first thing I thought of, but that response really gives me "Almost Politically Correct Redneck" meme energy lol.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i'll refrain from commenting further, but the answer doesn't....... doesn't seem like he's answering the question that he was asked?

and i'm being generous

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when Nami got assaulted in the shower by an invisible man? Yeah

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea behind what he's saying, but I'm guessing from the responses here that the execution is pretty weak.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
When he's talking about character consent, I think he means scenes where a character is being peeped on or having someone look up their skirts, as opposed to a character being outwardly sexy.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
When he's talking about character consent, I think he means scenes where a character is being peeped on or having someone look up their skirts, as opposed to a character being outwardly sexy.
Yes and people are pointing out that what he is saying is hypocritical considering what situations he can write these characters into where exactly this happens

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Hmmm

Bullshit

He's done so many ass shots lately and he 100% oversexualizes Nami

Unless I'm reading this wrong. But also, the big one:

Sanji exists

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the female characters in One Piece are a revolution in the depiction of female characters in shonen.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
I just looked at the quote retweets. They killing that man. Holy shit. Oda shouldn't have said anything.

Oct 27, 2017
While Oda's comments don't come off as super truthful when held up against his actually work....

HOLY SHIT at that reader's question.

"Why no panty shots????" Touch grass, dude.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Nami spend most of the preceding arc cradling a young boy in her bosom for the purpose of making 'sanji is jealous' gags

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
People posting screens and people responding with "no but see that's different" or "it's rare" or "it's still not as egregious as others".

I'm tired.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I know that when I saw Robin get her new attire for the current arc with no input from herself, I was like "damn, she's truly bringing the women's revolution with those bikini bottoms, and it's absolutely not because oda wanted to draw panties, because that man just ain't interested ya see"

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck am I reading?

The characters he writes/draws are consentingly sexy and deliver fan service of their own volition?

Is something being lost in translation here?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nami had one the of most egregious panty shots I've ever seen just this past chapter

Stop the cap Oda, do better.