• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
81931-16662927061796-1920.jpg
latest

CW: rapey af

View: https://youtu.be/vnY676Qpf_0

Seriously, what the hell is he smoking

Last edited:

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
81931-16662927061796-1920.jpg
latest

CW: rapey af

View: https://youtu.be/vnY676Qpf_0

Seriously, what the hell is he smoking

I mean, I think his argument is that he's not doing direct camera shots from a low angle up their skirts, but that's pretty much it. Like, look at what's happening in Ayakashi Triangle for example as a counterpoint. The character designs themselves are yes, exactly as you highlighted, he's more just talking about how he positions the camera I guess.

To be clear I agree with the critiques on said character designs, but I do think he's at least somewhat restrained with where he places the "camera." Though I wouldn't be shocked if someone posts some panels that prove me wrong.

Apr 12, 2022
This is the same guy who admitted in a SBS that he draws women as "three circles, one x", doesn't really care about any complaints from his female readership of such design "philosophy", and whose one of his main character's lifelong dream was to be invisible so he could peep naked women under the shower.

Like, ok dude. Whatever you say.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure those outfits lasted the rest of Onigashima, which was 2-3 years long.
In the manga, their appearances in those outfits was less than 10 chapters. It showed up in 978 and was gone in 988. If you're reading it weekly it may seem like it was forever, but it was only like 2-3 months.

Last edited:

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first few arcs of one piece recently, and it was noticeably bizarre how Nomi's boobs slowly kept getting bigger over time

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
What the heck....all of this is so terrible and gross. I've only read the first 30 chapters of One Piece and seeing Oda think and say stuff like the above about women is why I never wanna touch it again.

For the record, I think robots are cool. :(

Also just found this on twitter:

w4M9ZxI.jpg

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Naruto is one of the few really big manga that really didn't have much of it at all. The most you had was a few minor moments with Jiraiya and Tsunade.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, but thankfully those were just short-lived disguises.
I mean, I think his argument is that he's not doing direct camera shots from a low angle up their skirts, but that's pretty much it. Like, look at what's happening in Ayakashi Triangle for example as a counterpoint. The character designs themselves are yes, exactly as you highlighted, he's more just talking about how he positions the camera I guess.

To be clear I agree with the critiques on said character designs, but I do think he's at least somewhat restrained with where he places the "camera." Though I wouldn't be shocked if someone posts some panels that prove me wrong.

In the manga, their appearances in those outfits was less than 10 chapters. It showed up in 978 and was gone in 988. If you're reading it weekly it may seem like it was forever, but it was only like 2-3 months.

bBzyFui.jpg

When do we see the boys with ecxessively large dicks dressed up in banana slings?

For the record, I'm MORE sensitive to dumb "perverted cameramen" than sexy outfits, but saying it isn't that bad when the two main girls are sporting giant knockers isn't really helping. The girls literally look like botched plastic surgery jobs, and Oda has a history of drawing/depicting some dubious shit.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I wish someone will tell him that having female characters with oversizedever growing boobs is not sexy, but maybe it's just me. And people here already mentioned Rebecca.

I miss Nami before timeskip.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
bBzyFui.jpg

When do we see the boys with ecxessively large dicks dressed up in banana slings?

For the record, I'm MORE sensitive to dumb "perverted cameramen" than sexy outfits, but saying it isn't that bad when the two main girls are sporting giant knockers isn't really helping. The girls literally look like botched plastic surgery jobs, and Oda has a history of drawing/depicting some dubious shit.
I didn't say it wasn't that bad. I'm only pointing out one story arc that had the least amount of sexualization. It does suck that, even for a short moment, they had to wear those dumb bikini outfits.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Reads like an excuse to draw big boobs all the time.
Almost the entirety of women in OP has like E cup boobs with a thin waist.
And he keeps drawing the 2 main female characters with bikini tops for years.
Yeah, Oda isn't really a feminist lmao

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Amazoness actually had a lot of varied women bodies which was cool...though some probably um, horny for certain folks.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The question doesn't really ask much. I can easily make the assumption the reader is wondering why Oda doesn't provide them with panty shots.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know much about OP, but after reading the whole thread, it's kinda disheartening this being the most popular current manga/anime IP.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know much about OP, but after reading the whole thread, it's kinda disheartening this being the most popular current manga/anime IP.

One Piece is like, the perfect encapsulation of anime/manga. You can have a pretty wonderful book that's exciting, has great characters, is affirming, is intriciately woven....but there's gonna be SOMETHING around the edges that's going to make the entire experience of reading it feel gross and wrong. Oda's particular brand of that grime is sexualization.

You always have to wonder when and how an anime that you're enjoying is going to "get" you. Because you can get got by anime really easily.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The Amazoness actually had a lot of varied women bodies which was cool...though some probably um, horny for certain folks.

It's not that Oda CAN'T draw with assorted female body types in mind. The first woman that appears on screen in OP is Alveda.

latest

It's just that when he decides that he likes a character, he decides to change his style to fit his mood.

This is what Alveda looks like right now in the story.

:🤷:

Like, I'm not totally caught up on One Piece, but if Big Mom showed up again looking like the above, I wouldn't be surprised.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that Oda CAN'T draw with assorted female body types in mind. The first woman that appears on screen in OP is Alveda.

latest

It's just that when he decides that he likes a character, he decides to change his style to fit his mood.

Like, I'm not totally caught up on One Piece, but if Big Mom showed up again looking like the above, I wouldn't be surprised.
There's several flashbacks where Big Mom pretty much looks like that as it is. I don't think he'd change it later but he's already designed what she looked like at different stages of her pirate career just in case I guess.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Nami is fine, it fits.

Robin however, wtf. Her cleavage makes zero sense, ESPECIALLY that bridge after Saobody.

Its funny that out of all the women, Big Mom is probably my favourite design. But then he weirdly made her sexy in her 30s too so uh yea

Uhh no, it doesn't fit. Look at her design pre and post timeskip especially. He specifically changed her design to give her giant boobs and then be half naked half of the time.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean doesn't seem like a bad answer, yet the way he proportions their body just looks a bit ridiculolus to say and use that as the argument. I think Nami and Robin don't have to have hugely out of proportions bodies to be beautiful. Also I don't like the way that Robin and Nami seem to always have to show skin. I think they should get better looking outfits. It feels like every outfit is setup as a way to show their bodies. Would be cool if they could wear a tshrit and shorts for once I think.
He pretty much draws all young adult women the same.

He doesn't try to hide it, it's a bit of a black eye on a really fantastic adventure series that touches on a lot of romance themes. It's understandable that someone might find it hard to look past. For example, Rebecca in the Dressrosa arc felt really excessive in recent memory with tons of leering shots.
Why does Oda always choose to answer the dumb and pervy questions?
It's a shame that he tends to show fairly progressive ideas with certain characters, but leans into the fanservice on his 'one size fits all women'.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Nami was one of my favorite characters pre time skip. Now all she is is a giant pair of breasts and the easy target for fan service. She actually had fights and stuff before the time skip. Now, she just is a damsel in distress for one of the other characters to save.

Even the most recent chapter has a giant panel panty shot of Nami.

It's pretty tiring.

Nami and Robin were downgraded post time skip.

Also its pretty disgusting that Sanji is constantly lusting over his crew mates in that fashion. Its not funny at all.

Oda definitely has limited imagination with women.

Big Mom and Tsuru are cool I guess ,but women obviously take a bit of a secondary role in his stories.

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
I feel like the shrugging of soldiers and the acceptance that "oh well he's a hypocrite" is a bit frustrating?The community should be calling him out way harder on these designs

Dec 17, 2022

latest

I kinda noticed this with Tite Kubo as well.

Have a cat character named Yoruichi that you'd like to expand upon? Make that cat be revealed to be a busty woman! See that little girl Nel from Hueco Mundo ? She appears not too important now, but BOOP! Now she's a really a big chested woman!

I personally don't expect my mangaka to be the great moral leaders of comic-dom, but that last example was pretty weird to me, no matter how he tried writing it off. I suppose Oda does similar.

Is this like a common shonen trope?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Oda's point is just written from the perspective of a mangaka being measured by the standards of other mangaka. From his perspective (and a lot of the industry's perspective) bizarrely skimpy outfits are just an expected aesthetic whereas fanservice is creep shots.

This is not a good standard, mind. But that's how one can arrive at that view.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Without having read most of One Piece myself and thus I don't know if Oda ever failed this, I do think it's if not good then at least some kind of positive to approach your fanservice with "if it's non-consensual then it''s not sexy" the way lots of Shonen stuff has Funny Sexual Assault as a running gag.

It's not really a problem to me that a straight man draws T&A for an audience of assumed straight boys, but the reality is that no one other than straight dudes will ever get the ability to sell their T&A fantasies to the widest audience. SNK and ArcSys sure as fuck will never greenlight my crossover game where Sol Badguy and Terry Bogard are magically cursed so that their clothes get ripped open every five minutes. Taro Yoko can tell an audience of five million players that he loves big robot girl butts but I'm never going to have an audience yearning to hear why Nier's ass being bigger than his head was of vital importance to the quality of NieR Replicant.

Horny's fine, it just needs to be equal opportunity and anyone with eyes can see that it's not.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Horny's fine, it just needs to be equal opportunity and anyone with eyes can see that it's not.

"horny's fine" quickly runs into a problem when many of these shows are for a young audience, and the characters are generally young teens. I don't think any amount of equal opportunity really addresses that, or what One Piece sometimes does. Oda needed peers to question this, but none of them would because its so normalized and unquestioned that these guys all still celebrate people like Watsuki like nothing happened.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

latest

2 be fair, Alveda eat devil fruit that changed her body while big meme is 68 years old.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"horny's fine" quickly runs into a problem when many of these shows are for a young audience, and the characters are generally young teens. I don't think any amount of equal opportunity really addresses that, or what One Piece sometimes does.
I don't know how to answer this wrt Shonen stuff because I was super into all the hot teenagers in Rave Master when I was 13 years old and thus in the actual demographic who was supposed to be reading it.

Probably Fruits Basket too, in hindsight. Was reading Shoujo manga as a teenage boy one of my latent gay chicken activities? The world may never know.

Oda needed peers to question this, but none of them would because its so normalized and unquestioned that these guys all still celebrate people like Watsuki like nothing happened.
I think this is another one of those "horrible consequences of a media empire that caters to het dudes" things.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melody continues to be best female character in jump

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
lmaooooooooooooooo

no writer who made Sanji would honestly believe this shit

like. even in terms of character, a lot of the girls don't do much. when people talk about Nami, they still mostly talk about Arlong Park which happened like 20 years ago

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Horny =/= sexual assault and devaluing of agency
I mean, both those issues exists BECAUSE Oda is horny. He thinks characters asking to see women's panties is funny. He's too focused on making the women eye candy to give them much agency in the plot (although he always finds the time to make them dress in sexy outfits)

Your statement would be correct if Oda wasn't so problematic in writing women. But he is, so you can't separate that from the horniness.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how to answer this wrt Shonen stuff because I was super into all the hot teenagers in Rave Master when I was 13 years old and thus in the actual demographic who was supposed to be reading it.

Probably Fruits Basket too, in hindsight. Was reading Shoujo manga as a teenage boy one of my latent gay chicken activities? The world may never know.

I think this is another one of those "horrible consequences of a media empire that caters to het dudes" things.
I mean, you can have attractive characters in stories meant for children. You'll be hard pressed to find a child oriented show that doesn't have sexually attractive people in it.

But there is a difference between having sexually attractive characters and then framing the lion's share of their character around sexual hijinks that boarder on criminal. Shows that have sexually attractive characters don't also need characters being shown bathing for no reason other than further titillation, doubly so if those characters are underaged, which they usually are.

Shit, Totally Spies did all sorts of wild fetish shit that flew under the radar, it can be done very easily. But Oda, and indeed many many many mangaka, are not about visual nuance.

I mean franky is right there.