• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Woah! Can't believe that Sony just announced their PS5 plans so casually!

Told you all that they had nothing to show this year at E3!

Glad to hear that PS5 will be fully backwards compatible with PS4. Guess there's no reason to buy a PS4 now!

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
So, we got:
- CPU: 7nm Zen 2, 8 cores
- GPU: custom Navi, including raytracing support
- SSD + custom interfacing to massively increase bandwith (Spiderman freetravel demo: 15 seconds to 0.8 seconds)
- PS4 Backwards compatibility (other platforms not confirmed)
- Physical media
- PSVR '1' compatible
- on-chip 3D audio support

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that is definitely an info dump I didn't expect on a random Tuesday...

-PSVR compatible
-Backwards Compatible with PS4 (maybe more?)
-SSD
-Death Stranding likely a launch title.
-Physical media lives on!

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I would expect an article like this after the Ps5 is announced lol Really insteresting stuff.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Very exciting read. Really cool that finally great audio is being taken into account. I/O was also a frankly embarrassing bottleneck (so many youtube comparaison of console vs pc games where console takes minutes to load and pc 5 seconds like Monster Hunter World) and it's great it's being fixed.

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Great to see them talk about it finally.

I'm seeing £ signs in my head though lmao

I'm just chuffed that 3D audio is being opened up to everyone, finally.

Oct 30, 2017
That SSD demonstration is very impressive. I never thought of the SSD as being that big of a potential game changer for consoles but holy shit!

Also, I would easily pay $750-800 for this machine. It seems like a true generational leap.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Backward compatible apparently

D4RiaYFWwAAmj4T.png:small

This needs a new thread tbh.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
So, we got:
- CPU: 7nm Zen 2, 8 cores
- GPU: custom Navi, including raytracing support
- SSD + custom interfacing to massively increase bandwith (Spiderman freetravel demo: 15 seconds to 0.8 seconds)
- PS4 Backwards compatibility
- PSVR '1' compatible

+ on chip 3D audio support.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BC confirmed, guess I'm never actually buying a PS4 and will just grab one of those beasts at launch.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Ray tracing is cool but hopefully the GPU doesn't sacrifice perfomance for dedicated cores like RTX.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Ray tracing is the big one. If the consoles are on board we will see more devs and pubs get in on the act and support the transition.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Next-Gen Console = NGC = Next-Gen Platform = NGP = PS5 = PSV = PS Vita

PS Vita means life redeemed confirmed.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy we are getting ray tracting in the consoles. Curious if its gonna be a option and can turn it off to get better framerate.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's not just disc backwards compatibility, but digital as well. I have a lot of digital games on PS4 that I'd love to carry over to PS5. It would be a big positive for me to get a new PlayStation, instead of just sticking to PC, and being able to let go of my PS4.

Anyway, this is pretty positive overall. The integrated design with an SSD sounds great. Sick of loading times.

SSD and not shit CPU are pretty much all I really gave a shit about. Those shit Jaguar CPU's really hold all these consoles back.

Yes. If they put even a moderately decent CPU by today's standards, it will hold up much better in the long term.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so cerny finally leaked the info? haha

who would have thought our leak source is cerny

damn seems like a beast

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Nice, if PS5 isn't BC Sony can fuck off, in 2020 there's no reason for a console for not being BC if not pure greediness. Now Sony please do an additional step by including PS1 and PS3 BC.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I was already day 1 on PS5, but seeing BC is amazing because I have like 20 or so PS4 games. Hoping its native and provides upgrades.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
8k, Ray-tracing, faster than any SSD on PC. I hope they have something to back that up or that article wont age too well.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
If it lets me play most games at 60FPS (not all, I'm not naive enough to believe it would be possible), then I will consider getting a PS5. Otherwise, I'll just stick to PC.

Not a surprise at all for PS4.
The big question is BC for PS1/2/3, given what they did (or rather didn't do) on PS4.
I bet it will not be backward-compatible with PS1/2/3 games.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of concrete info about the PS5 so casually dropped on a Tuesday on a random website is kinda fuckin with me right now

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I am surprised that this is news Sony has decided to put out there of their own volition and so early. But then when I think about it the move makes sense: They get ahead of Waypoint/Giant Bomb stories and they get to control the message this way.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty smart getting this out right now. You know why?

Because if you're own both XB1 and the PS4, now the whole BC angle may push you to buy more games off PSN. People suspect the next XB will do the same given the investment they have made in BC this generation, but it's not still confirmed. It's a good hunch.

A masterclass in PR. Bravo, Sony.