subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Wait. The dragons kind of went super weak after cataclysm.

But it is gonna be reaaaaasly dumb because it will be a story about Elune and the Void in the end. Cosmic adventures begin again!

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
have not cared about wow since legion ,but if class skins are real that might be pretty cool to change the vibe of a class visually

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There were about 20 "leaks" with the name Shadowlands attached before it was officially announced that had nothing else correct, so I wouldn't be taking that MMO-Champ post as anything accurate. "Dragonflight" isn't exactly a hard name to come up when everyone is talking about the dragons and dragonflights being what the next expansion is about.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's no way that "leak" from mmoc is real. Its just a total hodgepodge of ideas and hopes people have had for years

Real

Oct 28, 2017
How's the new player experience in World of Warcraft? Haven't played in yeeeeeeeeeears, and when I did, it was on a private server. Is it overwhelming to jump in?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
How's the new player experience in World of Warcraft? Haven't played in yeeeeeeeeeears, and when I did, it was on a private server. Is it overwhelming to jump in?
60 levels, got a fun 1-10 adventure that teaches you how to play the game, you only have to play through a single expansion for 10-50 before you get to the new content, and when you start an alt you get to pick what expansion to play through. It's pretty quick to get to the current expansion and it's got a lot of catch-up stuff to get you current.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
There it is I guess. Though no level cap increase would be extremely odd for any expansion.

Arkhanor

Oct 27, 2017
Recife - Brazil

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Wait. The dragons kind of went super weak after cataclysm.

But it is gonna be reaaaaasly dumb because it will be a story about Elune and the Void in the end. Cosmic adventures begin again!

Which I always hated from a story perspective.

The dragons were empowered to protect Azeroth because the Titan Keepers were self-absorbed jerks who couldn't be bothered. So they prevent the Hour of Twilight and for that are rewarded with...losing their powers and being made infertile.

I want my god-like dragons back, please.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Weird take, considering how Mists had lots of actual gravitas in a way the game hasn't really reached again.

What? Pandaria being a relaxing expansion is a very common take, especially with the first couple patches. The initial trailer was literally designed around that take.

It also had a lot of comedic parts, like the brewery themed dungeon.

The initial experience with Pandaria wasn't serious at all, although it definitely hinted towards something "more". Being dropped into this new continent without a named big bad was vastly different than the expansions that followed (or preceded) it.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the one where they chuck Sylvanas into a fire pit where she belongs?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What is the purpose of character levels in MMOs at this point that can't be done with quest progression, ilvl etc? just another kind of content gating?

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly you could play through the leveling zones of each expansion as a single player game and have a great time, Blizz always knocks that stuff out of the park imo. It's still an MMO though, they're not changing the core fundamentals just the style and presentation so to speak.

They have redesigned and simplified the entire leveling system so it all scales and you get automatic access to your new stuff; no more having to 'go back to town' every other level. They much more evenly introduce new class mechanics, abilities/spells, and rotations, so a new player will get more time to play and learn each element before you get the next layer of complexity.

I still do the tourist thing every expansion and have a great time.

What is the purpose of character levels in MMOs at this point that can't be done with quest progression, ilvl etc? just another kind of content gating?

I would agree that it's largely superfluous design at this point in the life-cycle but it does serve a purpose for onboarding new players or players wanting to learn a new class. It would be overwhelming to get immediate and full access to the entire end-game toolkit of a class without any ramp-up period. Obviously it's an MMO so the ramp up period is gonna be longer than a normal game (although I'm finding even single player games these days sometimes take way too long to get going).

Last edited:

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I always liked the Dragonflights ever since WC3; WOTLK was my everything.

Current WoW is so far beyond laughable indulgent fan fiction right now I keenly await the fallout, good or bad.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if they ever want to reset the timeline or indulge in some alternate reality shenanigans, they Bronze/Infinite Dragonflights give them the perfect opportunity to do so.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Which I always hated from a story perspective.

The dragons were empowered to protect Azeroth because the Titan Keepers were self-absorbed jerks who couldn't be bothered. So they prevent the Hour of Twilight and for that are rewarded with...losing their powers and being made infertile.

I want my god-like dragons back, please.
You are gonna get what you want. Something tells me the breadcrumbs of Elune and her pet are gonna make their way here.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
I just want decent solo content and pvp. My Vulpira warlock hungers for me to play, but I really don't want to give money to blizzard.

ReCross

Oct 25, 2017
I miss actually logging in to WoW and enjoying myself, just getting lost in the world and doing activities. After the last two expacs my expectations isn't high but maybe this time? :(

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I miss actually logging in to WoW and enjoying myself, just getting lost in the world and doing activities. After the last two expacs my expectations isn't high but maybe this time? :(

We're both on an IV drip of Copium by the sounds of it. I want the next expansion to be good so badly, but I know it won't be. I started playing WoW on day one and was absolutely glued to it for the first 7 years or so, playing at the highest level but since then I've taken massive breaks and generally only come back at the end of an expansion to try and relight that spark. I've decided to give it one more go at the launch of Dragonflight and see if it holds me, I won't go back to hardcore raiding but I could definitely see myself doing joining a chill guild and doing Heroic once or twice a week just to see the content.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'd keep in mind that while we're going to get an announcement here, the release is likely a year away at a minimum. We're maybe a month into season 3 and will be getting a season 4 after.

Sabin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

This leak/fanfiction was posted back in February. Probably just fanfic with a lucky title guess

For a "lucky guess" it got some things rights. Both Quel`thalas and Lordaeron are getting updates in 9.2.5 plus there is also the Dark Ranger and new blood elf stuff that was also datamined recently. A few too many coincidences in my opinion.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
unknown.png

This leak/fanfiction was posted back in February. Probably just fanfic with a lucky title guess

No level cap increase would be a step in the right direction...

It's a shame its unlikely to happen in Dragonflight though, because they just changed the Character Level boost from 50 to 60 last November.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
I'll play it, no matter how bad it is after those first few weeks, playing at launch is always fun

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
lol minstrel class

though I am sad we'll probably never get tinkerer. All I ever wanted in WoW, before goblins were even playable, was goblin tinkerer. a survival (before it was melee) spec'd hunter with engineering profession was the closest I could get.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Lol, that's my least favorite thing on that list. I would hate to not have a level cap increase.
It's the one thing that makes me think it's fake/misinformation.

WoW loves selling boosts/bundling new ones in higher tier versions and honestly it's part of the fun of new expansions. It would be a huge driving factor in me not buying it which would be the first expansion i haven't bought. Though to this day i still regret buying Shadowlands.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Lol, that's my least favorite thing on that list. I would hate to not have a level cap increase.

It's the one thing that makes me think it's fake/misinformation.

WoW loves selling boosts/bundling new ones in higher tier versions and honestly it's part of the fun of new expansions. It would be a huge driving factor in me not buying it which would be the first expansion i haven't bought. Though to this day i still regret buying Shadowlands.
I expect no level cap increase, but I also expect everyone to be moved back down to 50. It feels like they set that structure in place for Shadowlands with the intent of using it moving forward. De-level to 50, old expansions become leveling content, new expansion brings you from 50-60. I know people would be pissed about the de-leveling, but its really the best way to keep the game from becoming too unwieldy for new players, and it sets a permanent leveling structure going forward as more expansions release.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, SL has been a major disappointment for me, but I know this is going to suck me back in. Here's hoping for a 2022 release (lol).

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I expect no level cap increase, but I also expect everyone to be moved back down to 50. It feels like they set that structure in place for Shadowlands with the intent of using it moving forward. De-level to 50, old expansions become leveling content, new expansion brings you from 50-60. I know people would be pissed about the de-leveling, but its really the best way to keep the game from becoming too unwieldy for new players, and it sets a permanent leveling structure going forward as more expansions release.

I'd be fine with that. I just like leveling. I agree that that's probably the best solution.

I'd also be cool with seeing something like Diablo 3's Paragon system ported over the WoW, even if that only works when you're out in the world and not in dungeons or raids.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I'll play it, no matter how bad it is after those first few weeks, playing at launch is always fun

Same.

I'll probably stick with it for a while, but I know that if nothing else the leveling experience will be fun. Blizzard has been pretty consistently improving on leveling content since even WoD, in my opinion. It's just end game where they pretty consistently drop the ball.

Even Shadowlands was fun to level through.

(Although, what's the opinion on SL's dungeons? I actually found most of them boring.)

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
The music and art for this is about to be a 10/10. I'll probably re-up and play for a bit just to experience the beautiful environments. I love leveling through new expansions.

I want my old school daily hubs back, though. I'm trying to knock out like 15-20 daily quests and raise my rep at a decent pace to unlock some mounts like nether drakes and whatnot. World quests were alright in Legion, but I been over them. Speaking of which, is that new 9.2 zone any good?

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
So what is everyone excited about with the leaks and the announcement of this expansion? I didn't finish Shadowlands but the story since Cataclysm has been lame.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I look forward to playing the new expac for 2 months and then getting bored and grinding old mounts again

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Where FFXIV excels with leveling caps is that with each expansion, you get a new ability or trait every 2 levels that alters your play styles. For the last two expansions, leveling in WOW just gave you occasional traits and nothing else.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Where FFXIV excels with leveling caps is that with each expansion, you get a new ability or trait every 2 levels that alters your play styles. For the last two expansions, leveling in WOW just gave you occasional traits and nothing else.

I mean WoW was doing exactly that as well for the first xpacks but at some point there needs to be something else so they came up with more and more new systems and then they went completely overboard with them for some reason.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

WoW used to do this too, if I'm remembering correctly.

The problem is WoW is a much older game. And doing this every expansion eventually led to bloat.

It's why I don't really vibe with a lot of the player criticisms about expansion specific abilities. While agreeing that Blizz doesn't always nail it with them, I think players forget the very real problem temporary abilities were meant to address.

Last edited:

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019

It's fine, you typically level to 50 through a single expansion of your choosing and then go 50-60 in the latest one. This makes the story and everyone worshipping the ground you walk on not make a lot of sense so another option is to play everything in mostly chronological order so that it's all ~90% understandable.

Once you get to 60 and finish all available orange(story) quests in the newest expac, you get access to some catch-up mechanics for your character(s) and can get into endgame content pretty quickly assuming you dedicate a few days to farming out whatever the current grind-sink resource is or have a guild to catch you up

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
WoW used to do this too, if I'm remembering correctly.

The problem is WoW is a much older game. And doing this every expansion eventually led to bloat.

It's why I don't really vibe with a lot of the player criticisms are about expansion specific abilities. While agreeing that Blizz doesn't always nail it with them, I think players forget the very real problem temporary abilities were meant to address.

Exactly and the FFXIV team already to prune and completely rework a lot of Jobs for a while now to make place for new abilities i don't really think they can do this endlessly either.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WoW did fine increasing levels and keeping it extremely easy for beginners and casuals for over 15 years.

De-leveling once doesn't tell me that's their future it just tells me they want to reboot the levels and work their way back up.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Dragons are boring and the interesting part they had in WoW was nonsensically butchered in Cataclysm and over the years.
I guess at elast I won't have to buy it for once.

I also expect yet another forest zone with a giant tree in the middle.