• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
oh fuck you're in for a wild ride

If your school requires your kid to be lice free I'd recommend going the thermonuclear route and going to one of those pro places. They'll get the bulk of them, though I still manually combed through my daughter's hair daily and found a few here and there. Make sure you have them show you in person how to comb through the kids' hair properly -- that's the biggest thing you're gonna be getting out of this.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Start the shampoo sooner rather than later.

W17w7v1.gif

No way. Is this real?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Go to a chemist. There's an option for a silicon treatment you comb into wet hair (that effectively drowns the lice) or a shampoo (that loosens their grip).

Treat the whole family.

You'll need a metal lice comb and to repeat the treatment a couple of weeks later, as the nits (eggs) are very resistant. Life cycle is a month or so, so comb every week and if you're a clear for a month, you're clear.

Also, tell the kindergarten.

Nit comb:

tzM4Z4.jpeg
This guy knows what's up.

You need to comb the shit out of your kids hair in addition to the shampoo and keep at it.

it sucks for kids with long hair.

It happened this year for my kids in their 2nd grade class. We just buzzed my sons head which made it really easy to comb and look for nits and lice. Found one the first day and a week later. The nits are hard to find and the lice are slippery little mofos. Take your time when you comb and be thorough. It was a lot harder for my daughter who has long hair. Thats like trying to find a bug in a jungle. Just so many places for the fuckers to hide. We didn't find any lice after the 2nd day with her but we kept finding the occasional nit for at least a week and we kept combing and shampooing for a solid month to make sure our kids didn't get infested.

It really sucks.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Lice comb and the shampoo stuff should deal with them

Yup.

I had lice as a kid, twice. They're horrible. The shampoo works well, to start. Then you have to comb and pick the eggs out.

It's a miserable experience for the kid. Lice hurt and the shampoo is awful and so is the comb. Be kind to them.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
They just called from the kindergarten. Apparently some other children got lice too, and now my little daughter is infected. Any tips? Never got lice myself. Are we in risk me and my wife to get lice too?

Any recommendations?
Happened to us back during thanksgiving. Buy a nit comb and the lice shampoo. It's tempting to shampoo everyday but do what the instructions say. Go through your child's hair in the morning afternoon and evening with the comb. We had a bowl of water to clean the comb. It wouldn't hurt to shampoo your hair and comb it too.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much easier for boys. Just shave their heads and they are all back to normal in a few weeks. If you want to keep your hair it's so much more annoying.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Go buy your daughter a sleeping bag and a tent.
She sleeps outside tonight.

And buy a lice comb and shampoo.

Also I just learned lice are species specific.
Meaning dog lice need dog blood and human lice need human blood.
GddratU.jpg

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Ready for the fight. According to they guy on the pharmacy, this stuff is pretty good.

Also, we just checked our daughter and we didn't see a single lice.

QR7awfy.jpg

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Go to a chemist. There's an option for a silicon treatment you comb into wet hair (that effectively drowns the lice) or a shampoo (that loosens their grip).

Treat the whole family.

You'll need a metal lice comb and to repeat the treatment a couple of weeks later, as the nits (eggs) are very resistant. Life cycle is a month or so, so comb every week and if you're a clear for a month, you're clear.

Nit comb:

tzM4Z4.jpeg
Thanks. This is similar to the treatment I just purchased. It's not a pesticide. It basically creates a layer of polymer on the lice and they suffocate. Apparently one treatment is enough (an a preventative one in a month).

The formula is Cyclomethicone and Dimethicone (both are polymers).

uecZUtd.jpg

Last edited:

Delancey

Dec 4, 2017
My daughter got these a lot when she was younger - you get rid of them and then the untreated kids would give them back to her again, drove me bloody insane.

The best solution we got was a leave in and wash out shampoo from the chemist, natural solutions didnt work, you do need to chemical bomb them. Then repeat in 7 days before any leftover nits can hatch and start the cycle going again. Repeat every 7 days after until you find no live lice.

Tip if she has long hair, after rinsing out the shampoo, rub conditioner all through her hair (whatever you have at home). Helps the comb glide through easier and the nits and lice stick to the conditioner and dont drop off on you, the clothes or the floor. Wipe it on a tissue or paper towel and keep combing.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I sat next to girls in school 2 years in a row that had lice and was so lucky to never catch them. The first girl, I remember so vividly, I saw a single lice crawling up her long braided ponytail

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks. This is similar to the treatment I just purchased. It's not a pesticide. It basically creates a layer of polymer on the lice and they suffocate. Apparently one treatment is enough (an a preventative one in a month).

The formula is Cyclomethicone and Dimethicone (both are polymers).

uecZUtd.jpg
That's the stuff I was thinking of, worked a treat for us.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton

Treat the whole family.

Nit comb:

tzM4Z4.jpeg

Yep, we've dealt with it twice now - it sucks.

The lice shampoo you can get isn't particularly effective - not sure if there are truly resistant strains but it certainly seems that way. At the very least do not count on it getting everything because it won't.

One of the above lice combs and a big goddamn bottle of conditioner. Pump that shit into your child's hair and comb out the eggs/lice. Do it again in a week. And the week after. You basically want to remove the little fuckers after they hatch but before they can lay more eggs.

Note that the lice comb with the round handle and the grooved tines works way better than the ones that come bundled with (or branded by) the lice shampoos.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The worse thing is, that it probably won't be the last time she gets them.
There is always that one "patient zero", ready to share the wealth where headlice and schools are concerned.

Just noticed, that your daughter is showing no signs of infestation...phew.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Oh good, now my scalp is itchy.

Get an electric nit comb to zap those fuckers in her hair. Anti-lice shampoo as well, and be thorough with it! Any hats, hoodies and other headwear she's worn in the past few days might be done for. Wash her pillowcases thoroughly. In fact, her whole bedspread.

You should be doing the same for yourself.