• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Well yeah as a Photographer you get people telling you what you can't do all the damn time. Unless I'm trying to commercially sell those photos I don't need anyones consent. Forget the football game for a second. If you and a loved one are walking down the beach during sunrise/sunset a thunderstorm or whatever and I grab a shot of that I'm probably going to post that. If I really like the picture I'll go about getting you to sign a consent form so I can sign in for trade of a small metal print copy.

So why did he respond in that way? Probaby 30 years of Hillary Duff's thinking they can just shut you down.
Wrap it up folks. We've hit beach creepshots!

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's also not against the law to request someone not take pictures and then post a video on Instagram calling them creepy if they don't stop.

So I guess neither of them are in the wrong since nobody broke the law.
She can possibly have him doxxed by just posting what she did. I mean the intent is there by bragging about her numbers you're just inviting people to dig.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Eh, maybe not a fan of how Hillary handled this, I do think there should be some level of consent when taking pictures of kids, and if a parent comes and ask you not to take pictures of their kid, then that should be respected.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well yeah as a Photographer you get people telling you what you can't do all the damn time. Unless I'm trying to commercially sell those photos I don't need anyones consent. Forget the football game for a second. If you and a loved one are walking down the beach during sunrise/sunset a thunderstorm or whatever and I grab a shot of that I'm probably going to post that. If I really like the picture I'll go about getting you to sign a consent form so I can sign in for trade of a small metal print copy.

I hope you understand how fucking creepy this is. You had me going "both sides" on this. But you're following families around on the beach taking pictures of their children, or loved ones, without their consent and then posting them online? Seriously. That's fucked up.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
She can possibly have him doxxed by just posting what she did. I mean the intent is there by bragging about her numbers you're just inviting people to dig.

Kids can be under protection orders where they are not allowed to be filmed or photographed. Why is it so hard to practice some amount of decorum around children?

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you understand how fucking creepy this is. You had be going "both sides" on this. But you're following families around on the beach taking pictures of their children, or loved ones, without their consent and then posting them online? Seriously. That's fucked up.

That is literally not what he described, but whatever.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
She did nothing wrong, but most people don't have the power of 15 million followers social media reach that could harass and end a guys entire career over something small. If the guy is telling the truth then congrats, you just send some unknown number of psychos his way. You don't control what your followers could do.

I know you can rent private fields and have people thrown out that shouldn't be there, it's not a great solution. But I'll take that over banning public photography.

Oct 25, 2017
His words are in the post I quoted:

If you and a loved one are walking down the beach during sunrise/sunset a thunderstorm or whatever and I grab a shot of that I'm probably going to post that.

He's not following families around. He didn't even mention kids. You inserted that to try to make him appear creepier. He's talking about scenes that photographers take all the damn time when shooting at a beach.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He's not following families around. He didn't even mention kids. You inserted that to try to make him appear creepier. He's talking about scenes that photographers take all the damn time when shooting at a beach.

He said "loved ones". And this is a thread about taking pictures of children. You're the one making the leap here by assuming that kids are not "loved ones" to parents. He can ask people on the beach if he wants to take a picture of them. I was just in Mexico. You get photographers coming up to you all the time asking if you and your SO want your picture taken. It's your right to photograph people in public, when they're semi-nude, but you're a creep if you're doing it without their permission.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Unless I'm trying to commercially sell those photos I don't need anyones consent.

Legally, no you do not need my consent as a parent. But if you're photographing my young child without my consent and I politely ask you to stop and you refuse, I'm going to think you're both a creep and an asshole, because that's creepy, dickish behavior to engage in. I'm also going to take my child and leave the area you're in for the very same reasons.

If you're okay with that, more power to you.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

So why did he respond in that way? Probaby 30 years of Hillary Duff's thinking they can just shut you down.

I think the response from the thread in general would be quite different if we were talking about him photographing adults. But he's not. He's photographing children and people and parents are naturally very protective of kids. This whole situation changes if some kids there are related to him, or if some parent has asked them to photograph their kids. But if that hasn't happened and another parent comes up to you and asks you if you'd stop taking pictures, then that should be the end of it. You shouldn't try to make an argument for why it's technically not illegal for you to be doing it.

Last edited:

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has been a bit illuminating that there seems to be more than a few members of the photography community who don't really understand how their hobby can impact others. I thought people were shooting nature shots and birds.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why do I get the feeling OP is going to be back here sometime in late summer asking if anyone knows a good lawyer for photographers?

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well firstly you don't get to tell a parent what is and isn't a big deal when their kids are involved.

And secondly was it impossible for you to ask for permission?

Thirdly it's super fucking weird that you were told by your university to take pictures of kids without their parents permission.
the assignment obviously wasn't "shoot kids without consent" - it was to shoot sports. rec dept games were an easy way to do that. and i wasn't gonna go around the field asking 30+ parents individually if it's okay if i shot the match, no. that seems way creepier to me somehow. and it's not like there aren't already other folks on the sidelines with dslrs/milcs.

So after the class asked what if the subjects told them not to take photo of them your professor said "F em, this is legal"
i'd have just moved to the next field over if i didn't think i'd gotten enough good shots and wasn't rattled from the exchange. every time someone has asked me not to take their photo in a public place, i've politely obliged, which is what our prof suggested and what most photographers do anyway. honestly, though, almost never were the people challenging me actually in any of my pictures. but once someone calls you a creep i understand the impulse to defend yourself and dig in if you're just out trying to learn a new skill or piece of equipment.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has been a bit illuminating that there seems to be more than a few members of the photography community who don't really understand how their hobby can impact others. I thought people were shooting nature shots and birds.
or at least asking people for permission. surely you have friends or family with kids if you want to take shots of a sport for practice?

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I get the feeling OP is going to be back here sometime in late summer asking if anyone knows a good lawyer for photographers?
This would really depend on what he needs it for. It's very easy to get caught up in release form stuff regarding modeling, the public photography things honestly would be the least of his worries unless he's actually using something for paid marketing reasons without the subjects permission.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Spoken like someone that has never stepped foot on Instagram outside of meme pages or knows a photographer at all.

The only time I have ever gotten in trouble for while doing photography was trespassing on state parks to chase a damn lightning storm and catch the lightning falling behind a lighthouse.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Look.through this photo feed, let me know if you think these photographers asked permission for these photos. They didn't.

#peoplewatching on Instagram

The one's where people are posing and smiling directly into the camera? Yes. At the very least, posing for a picture is implied consent. The ones where people are walking away from the camera just going to work or whatever? No the photographer didn't ask permission and shouldn't have posted the image online.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Well firstly you don't get to tell a parent what is and isn't a big deal when their kids are involved.

And secondly was it impossible for you to ask for permission?

Thirdly it's super fucking weird that you were told by your university to take pictures of kids without their parents permission.
It isn't weird at all. Shooting sports is hard to do during a school or professio event due to conflicting with pros and photo passes, lack of space, etc. Shooting stuff like youth league soccer tends to work out better because there will be multiple games going on at one spot, next to no chance of bumping into pros, free entry, and they're frequent. It's also a good way to test equipment before you use it at work as you don't want to run into issues when you're shooting, let's say, a playoff game for some local team that you could have troubleshot beforehand. The motion, crowd and objects to keep in focus provide a closer to "real" game experience in that aspect too.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That's great when people don't object, but it doesn't justify doing so when people ask you not to. This just seems like common sense and courtesy and a strange thing to defend.
Twice in 7 years....twice....and one of those times don't count because the guy was being an asshole and the girlfriend was telling him it's cool and she wanted a copy of the picture. But you know, had to be a tough guy about it and embarrass his girlfriend in the process. I deleted it for her so she didn't have to get screamed at on the ride home.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The one's where people are posing and smiling directly into the camera? Yes. At the very least, posing for a picture is implied consent. The ones where people are walking away from the camera just going to work or whatever? No the photographer didn't ask permission and shouldn't have posted the image online.
Do you have selective eye sight? Or just intentionally ignoring the obvious candid pictures?

Oct 25, 2017
Twice in 7 years....twice....and one of those times don't count because the guy was being an asshole and the girlfriend was telling him it's cool and she wanted a copy of the picture. But you know, had to be a tough guy about it and embarrass his girlfriend in the process. I deleted it for her so she didn't have to get screamed at on the ride home.
Every street photographer has their stories regarding this stuff. I once got screamed at by an Asian lady.
Do you have selective eye sight? Or just intentionally ignoring the obvious candid pictures?
Most people in here shouting high atop their moral ground high horses have no idea what aggressive street photography even looks like so they have nothing to really compare this to.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have silohette pictures of father's teaching their kids how to fish at sunset. Usually 5-10 other people taking pictures of the same shit.

Go to the local boardwalk and you got people taking pictures of people on the boardwalk. It's not that unusual

You literally said in a follow up post to this that if someone asked you not to take a photo of their kid, you would oblige. Why aren't you holding the man in your OP to the same standard?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

The point is that it doesn't make those who did ask any less important or worth acknowledging. Everyone is cool with it? Great! Consent is often something we take for granted when really it shouldn't be and should be respected when it's revoked. We shouldn't just assume implied consent. It leads to weird gray areas and potential creepiness.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

You do realize that a lot of people may be uncomfortable with some random stranger photographing them in public but are also uncomfortable with confronting you about it, not knowing if you're a stable, respectful person or a potentially dangerous person, right?

Don't photograph other people's kids without their consent, implied or express. It's that easy.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Spoken like someone that has never stepped foot on Instagram outside of meme pages or knows a photographer at all.

The only time I have ever gotten in trouble for while doing photography was trespassing on state parks to chase a damn lightning storm and catch the lightning falling behind a lighthouse.

I actually know one of the best sports photographers in Western Canada. He's actually a tornado chaser now, but he shot the Canada Games when they were here, and did all the photography for our local CFL team and our local WHL hockey team, not to mention tons of minor league and kids stuff, but guess what, he was commissioned to do that work. He didn't go out in his spare time to the park and take pictures of peoples kids playing without their parents/coaches permission.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You literally said in a follow up post to this that if someone asked you not to take a photo of their kid, you would oblige. Why aren't you holding the man in your OP to the same standard?
Because that person wouldn't come over attempting to video tape me and make it a viral moment. As I stated earlier. If someone came over with a camera in my face. I would just start advertising my website ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm doing nothing wrong. People see a big lens and get freaked the fuck out like it has X Ray vision or something.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I actually know one of the best sports photographers in Western Canada. He's actually a tornado chaser now, but he shot the Canada Games when they were here, and did all the photography for our local CFL team and our local WHL hockey team, not to mention tons of minor league and kids stuff, but guess what, he was commissioned to do that work. He didn't go out in his spare time to the park and take pictures of peoples kids playing without their parents/coaches permission.
That's great, not everyone is comissioned, some people have to build a portfolio.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
dont even LOOK at me in public without my written consent u creeps

With this statement, I give notice to all photographers it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, or take any public photos of me based on this Visage and/or its contents. The Visage of this person is private and confidential information. The violation of privacy can be punished by law (UCC 1-308- 1 1 308-103 and the Rome Statute)

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
This guy should have asked permission first. Might have even been able to make a buck or two selling high-speed photos to the parents or the local paper (if one still exists wherever this is.) He didn't handle this the best way.

And I'm going to say that even if he had been a white dude he would've gotten the same flack. If it was a woman shooting photos then nobody would've batted an eye.
This makes me wonder if my former newspaper photogs ever got this level of flack on assignment. Probably not, as most of the coaches and teams knew them and they had their little press badges.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You do realize that a lot of people may be uncomfortable with some random stranger photographing them in public but are also uncomfortable with confronting you about it, not knowing if you're a stable, respectful person or a potentially dangerous person, right?

Don't photograph other people's kids without their consent, implied or express. It's that easy.

First of all, you go down to the beach and you see 20 people with tripods and lenses you can walk the other direction down the beach. We would prefer it so you don't get in our shot. But if you insist to walk down that shore line, yeah well you're going to be in the shot with the sun setting behind you.

If I see returning families I say hello to them and they say hello back. I basically live on the beach as does the community of photographers out by me.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Wow. You guys really, really do not understand street photography. Really.

VM19XXW03457-07-MC.jpg

VM19XXW03132-10-MC.jpg

fanho-forgetmenot.com

Fan Ho Photography

This is Fan Ho official website by his family. Please beware of fraudulent misrepresentation! 此乃何藩官方網站,請慎防欺詐及誤導。

image-asset.jpeg

image-asset.jpeg

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Those are nice pictures, but honestly, I'd rather live in a society of people who don't understand street photography, over a society of people who don't understand the concept of consent.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
There is no moral obligation to obtain consent for photographing children playing in a park. To think otherwise is paranoia that shouldn't be catered to.

Oct 25, 2017
See NOW you're making me want to post that Fuji video.

edit: bah, Fuji had it taken down.
I mean you could alway post Bruce Gilden at work, which is...fucking god awful.

VM19XXW03457-07-MC.jpg

VM19XXW03132-10-MC.jpg

fanho-forgetmenot.com

Fan Ho Photography

This is Fan Ho official website by his family. Please beware of fraudulent misrepresentation! 此乃何藩官方網站,請慎防欺詐及誤導。

image-asset.jpeg

image-asset.jpeg
This is because they don't. They just assume anything moderately voyeuristic is creepy or perverted without realizing that there's an art to the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.